Cam Judge, Riders top 2017 draft pick, Regina bound

Canadian linebacker Cameron Judge has finished up his final semester at UCLA which means the Riders’ No. 2 overall pick will be on his way to Regina.

June 15 was the last day on campus for the 22-year-old as he graduates with a major in political science.

Next up: travel to Saskatchewan’s capital city.

Judge was a late addition to the CFL draft. He attended Houston Texans rookie mini-camp, but did not receive a contract offer after its completion. That led to contract negotiations with Saskatchewan and signature on a three-year deal.

During his Bruins career, Judge played in 47 games for UCLA recording 46 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, two passes defended, one forced fumble and one interception while being a special teams captain and ace.

At UCLA’s pro day Judge measured six-foot-one and weighed 220-pounds then performed well running a 4.50 40-yard time, 6.69 3-cone, 10-foot, one-inch broad jump, 36.5-inch vertical leap and 19 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Those testing numbers clearly indicate Judge oozes athleticism.

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk
Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (362 Articles)

91 Comments on Cam Judge, Riders top 2017 draft pick, Regina bound

1. mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 3:39 pm //

Arrives on what is basically the last day of training camp. A waste for this year. He should sit out until next year now. He isn’t going to be in football shape, he doesn’t know the PlayBook and is in no way ready to play pro ball. Let him learn from the sidelines and be on practice sqad

• You make it sound like he should be punished for finishing his degree? How can that be considered a waste?

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 5:19 pm //

In not blaming him at all for finishing his degree. Good for him!

But the fact is he’s missed camp and as a raw rookie he’s not likely to contribute.

Further more I’m sensing people think the riders have an obligation to reward or”cut him slack” for making the noble decison to finish school. Guess what they don’t. In fact they have every right to be pissed off about it if they want.

Personally I think it’s great he did that but if I was Jones I’d be telling this guy it was his decision and his decision alone and he sure shit better get on board pretty fast and no one is going to be holding his hand.
        Him finishing school sure doesn’t help the riders

• Riders13 // June 15, 2017 at 5:32 pm //

Hey mr toxic negativity…many players are able to make a successful transition and contribute when they arrive after the season starts – for example, most CFLers who have NFL tryouts and then aren’t back in Canada until near the end of August. Jones has said that he expects that Judge will be able to contribute immediately. Good for Judge to complete his degree and the season is by no means a write-off for him when he arrives. I’m glad you aren’t a coach.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 5:40 pm //

Most guys that come in mid season from nfl are seasoned in the ways of pro football. They are in football shape and often are coming back to a team they know. None of these apply to Judge..

Jones will say what Jones needs to say to the media. But he has now torn the team down twice in 2 years.

• The Riders will have him practicing and going hard and i bet he was sent a play book while he was still at ucla.

The Riders are paying him well and he might not be a starter right away but he will be in the games

• Have to disagree with you Riders13. I wish he WAS the coach, in cowgary.

• OMFG WHAT concern is that is yours????

• Ladd Law // June 15, 2017 at 5:29 pm //

Why is it a waste. He’s young, the Riders gave him a chance to complete his degree. It’s likely he didn’t make a starting rotation anyhow, so now he demons on teams and gets himself ready to be a depth guy at linebacker. Only a hater sees this as a negative. Right, forgot that’s exactly what you are.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 5:43 pm //

Well I guess by all your logic the riders might as well just skip training camp altogether!!! Clearly any Tom,Dick and Harry come suit up week 1 and be perfect

• Ladd Law // June 16, 2017 at 3:15 pm //

How can you derive that from what I said. See dork, this is the problem; you take simple English and turn it into your own fantasy comments. How does what happens with one player related to the whole team? What a loser piece of (you know what word comes next) you continue to be.

• You guys need to stop responding to him and feeding him. You guys and him ruin every single story you enter.

• RiderPrider // June 15, 2017 at 6:57 pm //

Just curious as to why you seem to be bashing the Riders here, yet you haven’t made a single comment on the article relating to how the Esks still haven’t signed Behar…?

How are you going to defend your position that “you don’t bash the Riders, you only state opinions based on the facts,” now? Because the fact is, the Riders signed their man and he is joining the team, while the Esks haven’t even managed to get their guy to put pen to paper.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 7:12 pm //

It’s happened once in Edmonton. Sask it seems to be happening every year. Further it may very well be Jones. setting this precedent.

Edmonton has always been a good well organized organization that means they get slack for the occasional giff. Riders don’t get that privilege as they haven’t earned it

• I have bit my lip on a few occasions but how would you know what shape Cameron Judge is in to even make a comment like that? Funny you haven’t had one comment on Nate Behar who has sat out the entire pre-season as we speak because of a contract dispute with the Edmonton Eskimos organization. Yet, you continue to rub negativity on every story about the Roughriders with your own spin. It’s getting a bit ridiculous.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 8:59 pm //

Greenrider
        I’m sure Behar will not contribute much either one he signed. Has Judge been undergoing 2 a days for the last 3 weeks? No! So w can he be in football shape?

• When did Josiah St.John sign last year with the Riders? In the NFL, when did Joey Bosa sign with the San Diego Chargers? Did Bosa not become defensive rookie of the year that same season? Did St.John not play football last year with the Riders? How do you know Cameron Judge is not working out as he completed his course? I’m sorry Mr. Incognito, but you can’t tell anyone, “Oh, he’s out for the year.” That’s absolute garbage.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 16, 2017 at 11:45 am //

St John??? How good was he last year

• greenrider89 // June 16, 2017 at 1:17 pm //

True enough. But that is simply an example I am providing when comparing other players to the Cameron Judge situation with the Roughriders. I discussed two players who most recently held out over the past year. There certainly are others over the years, I can guarantee that. In regards to the St. John situation though, he didn’t sign his contract until the start of the CFL campaign in 2016. In essence, he actually missed five weeks of training camp. Sure, Cameron Judge missed the first three weeks of camp, so he’s three weeks behind all the other linebackers and special team players. Each player, though, is different in how they adapt to the Canadian game after playing college ball south of the border. And as mentioned by yourself, how conditioned they remain before entering training camp. But you’re just concluding the season is simply lost for Cameron Judge. What a defeatist attitude!!! Just think, if pro players viewed a holdout with results like that, why would they even attempt to play football? What you’re concluding is: “Well, the season’s over if I hold out, might as well hang up the cleats until next year.” C’mon now, get real, Mr. Incognito. What about Joey Bosa? How good was he? Here’s a player that nearly missed the entire pre-season (4 games). Then look what he did when finally arriving into Chargers camp. I’m sorry, but that’s rubbish. I understand how you enjoy getting a rise from reading all of the comments by you and others. But your comment here is way out in left field — I’m sorry.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 16, 2017 at 7:44 pm //

Well I guess we’ll see. I guess we can Judge (pun intended) come fall. Are you watching game tonight?

• Yes, I am. Hopefully, it will be a decent game on both sides. Nobody wants a blowout. With that being said, I really think (and hope) the team has improved from last season to be competitive with all teams in the league. I also know the Stamps will once again be tough to beat. I’m looking forward to an exciting 2017 season that is nearly upon us. Are you watching tonight, as well?

• mrnehnehincognito // June 16, 2017 at 9:37 pm //

I’ll watch some. But because it’s preseason, not involving Calgary and it being a late start I will likely fall asleep before it ends

2. Ya that makes lots of sense. He may end up on the practice squad yet, but that will be after someone WITH football intelligence deems he should be. Sorry I don’t think Jones will act on your insight and opinion.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 4:10 pm //

No shit if course I’m no expert but I think it’s reasonable for me to think this.

• I’ll just put that one in my back pocket for when the tables are turned:)

• Antlerman // June 15, 2017 at 4:59 pm //

If you admit your no Expert why do you try to make everybody think your one

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 5:24 pm //

I don’t just giving my opinion. I’m sure if my opinion was “Jones is so great ” “the riders are the best franchise in the league “..none of you would be critical of my so called trolling

• Ladd Law // June 15, 2017 at 5:33 pm //

Nothing you think about the Riders is reasonable. That’s what we’ve been saying to you since you started your barrage of insults and innuendo all things Riders. However, since you’ve been called out a record number of times for any blog site, it’s obvious a lack of mental capacity exists in your case.

3. Rider fans only please; can someone tell me what side the team bench is on in the new stadium?

4. West side

• Thanks man. Could only get section 122 for July 29th game and was hoping it was at least on the Rider side.

• Riders13 // June 15, 2017 at 5:36 pm //

West is correct Kevin and you’ll be pleased to know that the Riders come out of the tunnel for “Bring ’em Out” on the NW side of the stadium where you are.

• Ladd Law // June 15, 2017 at 5:58 pm //

No your pain. Could only get 226 for July 8th. Can’t wait to see the new digs and the 2017 Riders.

5. stampland thats right you no everything about football wrong

6. Scottsask // June 15, 2017 at 4:55 pm //

So the #’s say he’s athletic and the fact that he finished his semester at school says he’s smart. Gonna look good in Green and White.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 5:06 pm //

Neither of which guarantees he’s ready or will ever be ready to play pro football

7. Footballnut // June 15, 2017 at 5:54 pm //

Immediate special teams help and meaningful snaps by the. End of the year I predict not too many Canucks with his pedigree

8. Scottsask // June 15, 2017 at 6:15 pm //

Excited for the game tomorrow, gonna be a very tough matchup vs. BC. Can’t wait to see how we stack up.

9. mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 6:18 pm //

Some hard working Canadian who’s gone through the trails and bruises if camp and deserves a shot will now lose his job to a Jones oligarch

10. Scottsask // June 15, 2017 at 6:34 pm //

And nobody but you cares, very strange.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 6:44 pm //

Only ones that don’t care are rider fans drinking the Jonestown gatorade

11. RiderComeback2017 // June 15, 2017 at 6:50 pm //

All of a sudden stamps troll is interested in the best interest of the Riders’ players? I just don’t know about you. I feel bad as you seem to not have much else going on in life than commenting on 3downnation Rider posts. Sorry bud.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 6:52 pm //

Yet you read all my comments. It’s heart warming knowing I have you as a fan

12. mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 7:02 pm //

How did this article get so off topic??

• Blackhawk89 // June 15, 2017 at 7:20 pm //

How do you know what kind of shape he is in? Do you even know what kind of shape it takes to play PRO football? If your good enough to play you will play doesn’t matter if you were there since the start of camp .

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 7:31 pm //

If course it matters. Did you ever play football? It takes a couple weeks to get used to hitting. After a few days in camp your body is really sore and camps helps you get into this “football shape”

• They all do when you enter the picture. That’s my point every time. You ruin all threads. They never end up being intellectual football talk but instead end up in troll fights.

13. Scottsask // June 15, 2017 at 7:24 pm //

Ok, football fans, no more feeding the troll.

14. Anytime you can upgrade the Canadian talent on your roster that is a bonus, good pick up for the Riders getting Judge in the organization!!!

• Exactly. If I’ve heard it once, I’ve heard it a million times. The most successful teams are the ones with good Canadian depth.

15. Scottsask // June 15, 2017 at 8:00 pm //

Clearly you are an intelligent football fan, good luck to the Argos this year, hope they can get things turned around and start filling the stands.

• I’m passionate about my team and the CFL but realize that others are just as invested in their teams as well.
      Argonauts will rebuild but it will be a slow and steady process, perhaps both of our teams will surprise and we’ll see a Riders-Argonauts Grey Cup.
      (Argos would win of course).
      Enjoy the journey!!

16. mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 8:00 pm //

Anyone watching Mtl Ott game?

Durant……..yeah wow!! He just throw a TD pass as nice as you’ll see

17. Judge Jones // June 15, 2017 at 8:13 pm //

Enjoy watching him score two till now. That should equal your total for the first month.

18. mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 8:23 pm //

I know it’s early and only preseason but I think a Durant is already in the MOP conversation

19. mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 9:19 pm //

Jones and the riders are sitting in a downtown Vancouver hotel right now watching the MTL OTT game. Jones looks up and sees Durant with his mouth wide open astonished and turning as white as a ghost. He then looks over to a corner of the lounge and catches a glimpse of Vince Young finishing off his 3Rd pint and tucking a big napkin in the front of his shirt collar as the family sized pasta platter is placed in front of him.

“What have I done ” is all he can say as he bangs his forehead on the table

20. Scottsask // June 15, 2017 at 9:44 pm //

Who hurt you?

• Antlerman // June 15, 2017 at 9:53 pm //

Stampy is brave and mouthy when he is at home behind his computer screen but we all know when he in public he wouldnt have the balls to say a word

• mrnehnehincognito // June 15, 2017 at 10:02 pm //

Oh come on can’t you appreciate a fun story

21. If you rider fans were smart, you’d look as the stumps web-site, transactions and you’d see they released a couple of brought in a couple more mid-camp. Use his argument against him. if he really believes what he says. If he really is as smart as he likes ti think, he knows he full of it. Who freaking cares if he came June 15 instead of May 29th??????? They all do it. It is a process. No one says the lineup you throw out there week one is the same one you end up with in week 20. Each week you field the best 44 man roster that you think will give you the best chance to win. It may not be Judge in week 1, maybe not week 2 maybe…
    So stop feeding him and when Judge is ready, he’s ready.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 16, 2017 at 5:35 pm //

I don’t see what relevance this bares to Judge missing training camp

• Of course you don’t see how a rider missing training camp has any relevance to stamps missing almost all of their camp. I didn’t expect you to and I’m sure no one else does. Come to think of it, maybe that’s why they never mentioned it. You think that relevance is getting naked wen you say bares instead of BEARS so why would you understand something as complicated as the above. My mistake. I should have known better when you tried telling me Stanzi was different than Young L-O-L.

You don’t see a LOT my friend. Enjoy the season (as you’d say hahahahaha).

• mrnehnehincognito // June 16, 2017 at 6:31 pm //

If you can’t see the different between Calgary’s QB situation and sask I really can’t help you

• hahahaha I don’t need your help seeing how two similar situations are “different”. The only difference is that Sask tried out a guy who has been out of football and Calg got a guy who character may be questionable.

If Stanzi went to Sask and Young to Calg, you’d me making the same argument the other way around because that’s just what you do.

If the stamps wore green and the riders red, you’d bash red. That’s just what you do.
            If the riders mascot was a horse and Calg’s a gopher, you’d bash horses because that’s just what you do.

Thanks but I don’t need or want your “help”. I’d NEED help if I saw things your way.

Enjoy the season. LOL

• mrnehnehincognito // June 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm //

When have I bashed the color green or gainer the gopher? Stanzi has no past and Calgary WOULDN’T have ever signed Young. Why would we?? In fact no team would except the riders and it looks like it’s proving a bad move as he’s was sliding down the depth chart prior to injury.

22. Sorry folks. This time I did it. It is hard trying to pound some knowledge into a rock but for some reason we keep trying lol. Must be more vigilant. It is so hard to see a dim bulb and try not to fix it. I’ll try harder. BARE with me hahahahaha.

23. Scottsask // June 16, 2017 at 6:24 pm //

Enjoy the game tonight.

24. You too buddy. I hope we sack Glenn 100 times lol. When we had him, I could not stand him. Then the next year, he had the nerve to blame our O-Line. Actually, should be a good game. Was going to say I look forward to chatting in the story after the game but not really cuz you-know-who will probably ruin that one too bashing you guys.

Make no mistake, I hate the riders too. Couple of incidents, one where I was treated EXTREMELY rudely by a rider fan at the 2011 Grey Cup game, in fact it was technically assault. My best friend and her parents were there too and she was shocked by that. Also the beer cans being thrown at our bench a few years ago. Full ones yet, and Wally had to get the guys off the bench onto the hash marks to prevent injury. BUT, that does not give me the right to be rude to you on here and to do it in EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN STORY about the riders. Like I said, like trying to pound sense into a rock.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 16, 2017 at 6:50 pm //

Maybe lay off the redbull for awhile John

• Sorry to hear about your bad experience with a Rider fan(s). Yes, most Rider fans are usually courteous enough to enjoy the game and cheer for their team without doing something senseless as you have mentioned. Good luck to your Lions, tonight. Personally, as a longtime supporter of the Green and White, I hope my team comes through with a triumph. But I hope it’s a good game on both sides.

• Well said greenrider89…it disappoints me when I hear fans of the green and white behaving like that

• No need for that. Most fans are here for a good time. I’ve watched the game for nearly 45 years with that in mind and have likely witnessed over 200 games at what formerly was called Taylor Field without any incident whatsoever. So I feel for those that experience something rotten. Glad to hear that you feel the same way. Hooliganism is not needed AT ALL!!!

• Linda, I suspect you probably will be watching the game as well. Enjoy it, and hope the right team comes through!!!

• Thanks. I know we have our ‘winners’ too and quite frankly, I am embarrassed when I see that. I admire longtime fans, the loyalty it takes to go through good times and bad. We can all be loyal fans who love our organizations and their history without putting the other guys down.

So looking forward to seeing some of the new guys on the D-Line, Biggie’s LB spot and the revamped secondary. No new guys there but same guys playing new positions. Always thought we were not strong at safety since David Hyland (and that goes back a bit lol) so happy to see Wally decided to play an import there. Need someone with loud footsteps there !!!

Enjoy the game and good luck to you too.

25. Scottsask // June 16, 2017 at 7:01 pm //

Have a good night!

26. mrnehnehincognito // June 16, 2017 at 10:20 pm //

Looks like you bit FA olineman is a little premature on the snap count. Sorry but that oline as is doesn’t look good at all

27. Did you say Stanzi has no past.You might want to do a little research on that

28. There was a made up story I found about him trashing a Kansas City facility, it was pretty funny. Couldn’t post it here. I think he got arrested when he was college for under aged drinking. One thing he has in common with Vince Young is he hasn’t thrown a ball in regular season game since 2010. College for Stanzi, Nfl(2011) for Young

• mrnehnehincognito // June 17, 2017 at 10:10 am //

Yeah exactly. There is a fake story about him. If you think underage drinking is a an offense we’d all have criminal records wouldn’t we That’s really grasping at straws Chill

29. I wasn’t grasping at anything. It was a joke so calm down. Unfortunately I couldn’t post it like I hoped.

• mrnehnehincognito // June 17, 2017 at 10:57 am //

OK sorry Chill I maybe misunderstood that. FYI there is a story about him going to North Korea too and renoucibg his u.s citizenship