3DownNation is a website dedicated to covering the CFL and Canadian football.
Founded in 2015 by veteran CFL writer Drew Edwards while reporting for the Hamilton Spectator and initially the property of the Torstar corporation, ownership of the site was transferred to its contributors in January 2019.
Justin Dunk: managing editor and contributor
John Hodge: editor and contributor
JC Abbott: editor and contributor
Ryan Ballantine: contributor
Santino Filoso: contributor
Joel Gasson: contributor
Brendan McGuire: contributor
Amanda Ruller: contributor
Josh Smith: contributor
Core principles of 3DownNation.com
• provide quality news, context and analysis on Canadian football across a variety of platforms to our subscribers
• conduct ourselves with integrity in our relationships with our sources, shareholders, subscribers and contributors
• treat our contributors fairly, providing them with compensation, resources and benefits wherever possible
• to support the sustainability and growth of Canadian football and journalism, while staying true to our journalistic principles
• to strive for economic sustainability, quality and fairness over the pursuit of pure profit
Accuracy and Accountability
• we strive to be accurate in our reporting and prioritize that accuracy over being first
• we are accountable for the fairness and reliability of our reporting
• we will not allow our own biases to impede fair and accurate reporting
• while there is no copyright on news or ideas once a story is in the public domain, we will credit and link back to the source material in every situation where that’s possible; credits for scoops should be given “as first reported by” or Tweets embedded into posts; when quotes are taken from stories, the story should be linked and the reporter credited
• source material taken directly from team sites should also be credited
• stories that use material from social media — Tweets, Instagram posts, Facebook posts — should have the source material embedded in the post; screencaps are also permissible
• we should provide accurate photo credit information in every situation where that’s possible
The reproduction of other people’s work without permission or attribution is strictly forbidden.
The content and conduct online can have an impact on reader trust and the journalistic reputation of 3DownNation. This is true regardless of privacy settings, profile description and whether the account is considered personal.
Social media conduct, particularly comments or content of a racist, sexist, homophobic or offensive nature can lead to the removal of a contributor’s work from 3DownNation.
Upon verification of a factual error, corrections shall be made clearly, promptly and prominently and be acknowledged at the bottom of the post. Minor mistakes such as typos or grammatical errors can be corrected in a post without acknowledgement.
To report an error, please email [email protected]
While we acknowledge the importance of anonymous sourcing in the work we do, we will strive to ensure the information obtained from such sources is accurate and independently corroborated wherever possible.
This policy sets out the circumstances under which we may remove online material.
In making material available online, 3DownNation acts in good faith. However, we recognize that from time to time material published online may be in breach of copyright, contain personal information inappropriate for publications or potentially libellous material.
On receipt of a request to takedown material from our websites, 3DownNation will assess the case within one business day.
3DownNation may approve the withdrawal of the material if one or more of the following criteria is met:
- the material is in copyright, and the copyright-holder refuses permission for it to be made available online
- the material does not meet the journalistic standards set out by 3DownNation’s policy
- the material contains personal information about someone and continued online access would be unlawful or unfair to them
- the material is potentially libellous
Any takedown notice requesting removal of copyright material must be sent by the copyright owner and/or the owner’s legal representative. 3DownNation will not respond to notices requesting removal of copyright material by any unaffiliated third party.
Any takedown notice requesting removal of material perceived to be potentially libellous must be sent by the individual named and/or their legal representative.
To submit a takedown request please email [email protected]