Rider fan calls in to post-game radio show, loses his damn mind

This has taken a few days to make its way around the Information Superhighway but man-o-man is it worth it.

Rider fan “Sheldon” called into the SportsCage post-game show after Saskatchewan lost 23-17 to the Montreal Alouettes last Saturday and absolutely went off. The whole thing is worth a listen because the words don’t do justice to the level of emotion and vitriol he unleashes but here goes…

He starts slow – though the fact that his wife wouldn’t let him in the house was probably the first warning sign – and with a joke that Duron Carter would probably appreciate:

“I’m vibrating right now in my car. I have to be outside because the wife won’t let me inside because I’m about to scream. First off, do we know when Justin Trudeau is legalizing marijuana in Canada here because I’m going to need a pound of OG Kush just to get me through whatever the hell that was tonight. That was a complete disgrace.”

Nice opener! But he was just getting warmed up.

“I heard Glen Suitor talk about something stupid, leaving Brandon Bridge in for the rest of the game or at least giving him a chance. The guy was 8 for 18, 118 yards and two interceptions. He played like crap tonight. This is embarrassing. 56 to 10 the Alouettes lost last week –  56 to 10! – to Winnipeg and a backup quarterback. You come out and put up 17 points? Jones, what the hell kind of experiment is this? People aren’t talking about the most important thing, not only are we getting burned defensively by Duron Carter, who claimed to be the best player in the league last week, but we’re getting hurt offensively because that’s where he’s most effective!”

He hits all the high notes here – Bridge’s poorly play, Jones’ inexplicable devotion to Carter on defence and the fact that the Riders lost to the previously hapless Alouettes. The next targets in Sheldon’s sights: Glen Suitor and Bridge.

“I don’t know what was more disgusting by TSN, having Glen Suitor talk about leaving Brandon Bridge in or watching a 15-second close up of Mike Sherman’s gut trying to take off his fricking mic at the end of the game. That was embarrassing! I’m disgusted right now! I could take it if it was a tight back and forth game, a couple of lead changes but we weren’t even in it. Start to finish, we played the worst team in football probably in Canada – and I’m including Regina minor football – and we lost by six points at home.”

That’s the good stuff right there. Another shot at Suitor, Sherman’s gut, and a well-stated hot take that the Alouettes are the “worst team in football probably in Canada.” Sheldon is firing on all cylinders now and getting ready for the big finish.

“You pay $475,000 for a quarterback that’s 0-12 in his last 12 games, you can’t get a serviceable backup? Good God! I’m disgusted right now, absolutely pissed off!! Stupid coaching!! Terrible defence!! Undisciplined penalties!! 150 yards??!! How do you take a hundred fifty yards against the Montreal Alouettes??!! They have two boneheaded quarterbacks in there and you take 150 yards?!! Come on!! Jesus!! 23-17!! I’m freaking livid, I’m absolutely livid!! If that’s the kind of effort I’m going to see every week, I would rather go and watch the Access 7 Channel of a bunch of old people doing the waltz around the dance floor. That was garbage!! Just garbage!!”

Honestly, we probably haven’t used enough exclamation marks to do this whole rant justice and “Access 7 Channel” crack was just gold. The thing is, despite his emotion, it’s hard to argue with much of what Sheldon said.

Here’s hoping he calls back this week (assuming he didn’t watch old people dancing instead.)

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1571 Articles)

82 Comments on Rider fan calls in to post-game radio show, loses his damn mind

1. Prove me wrong // July 5, 2018 at 2:01 pm //

Maybe slider nation will start to have that conversation about replacing Jones!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA…

2. Scottsask // July 5, 2018 at 2:03 pm //

Welcome to Saskatchewan, where football matters…….a little too much.

3. Hahahahaha Classic. Accurate AF. I want to meet this dude. I feel like we’d be friends.

4. Mantis Toboggan // July 5, 2018 at 2:05 pm //

lmao i hope Sheldon doesnt drop dead tonight.. go cats !

5. I’m sure many rider fans shared this sentiment. Expectations were way too high in riderville,

6. Scottsask // July 5, 2018 at 2:11 pm //

Expectations are simply expectations, and they’re not being met. That’s all.

• They are being met as far s I’m concerned. It’s misguided to expect much out of this team

• Good to see the Riders #1 fan showing his support as usual.

• riderontheisland // July 5, 2018 at 2:51 pm //

You said it and he sure doesn’t post on the Stamps stories. Oh wait they don’t print them because nobody cares.

• Maybe no one cares because the Stamps are a boring organization in the media eyes. Slow, steady, reliable, just like an old ford truck!
            I will admit we have no one who compares to Chris Jones or Duron Carter

• Puck hog // July 5, 2018 at 2:55 pm //

I know that absolutely no one shivs a git about Red the nutbar, but if we took 30 seconds to digest this clinical example, we might ask what is it that consumes him – compels him – to incessantly berate the flagship of the league which he claims he admires. He is a fan of perhaps the best team in the league thus far in 2018, yet this does precious little to curb his unhealthy urge to bash. His drivel only incites dislike to his Stampeders and their fans. It is very hard to figure
          this man’s logic. The only clinical diagnosis it can be is Bat Cave Crazy!!!.

• Historic McMahon // July 5, 2018 at 5:20 pm //

Awesome to see my favourite rider fan being owned as usual

• Shouldn’t you be at the McMahon lot giving tourists with Rider plates a hard time. Or is mom driving you once she gets off work ?

• Why don’t you go spew your hate elsewhere.better yet, go see a shrink – you are ill.

7. #WinItForSheldon

8. Best CFL Fan // July 5, 2018 at 2:40 pm //

Imagine if he’d been an Alouettes fan the last 4 years and had to do this every week. Ha

• Arse & Red Must be Banned // July 5, 2018 at 8:48 pm //

I don’t think he’d have lasted 4 years. He’s probably have popped an artery by now.

9. MR Green // July 5, 2018 at 2:41 pm //

I listened live. I actually posted Saturday night after the game the call in how was awesome. This guy wouldn’t stop and Ballsy couldn’t get a word in so they let him rant on. Follow up calls were giving kudos to Sheldon. Rider Nation, where football is life.

• Yeah, the follow up calls from people encouraging Sheldon to calm down and not make the same mistake as them and let football cost him a wife and family were good.

• What does Sheldon need? a) Valium b) brain transplant c) anger management classes d) aneuryism insurance e) psychiatric care F) less attention to his rants
        ANSWER: ALL OF THE ABOVE. BTW…he spews the same garbage on non-sports talk shows…he REALLY needs help.

10. Huff's Neighbor // July 5, 2018 at 2:43 pm //

Rider fans, whether you like it or not, the Riders are, have always been, and will always be the most talked about team in the CFL for good and bad. Win, Rider fans complain. Lose, they complain more. It’s a not win situation for the coach and players because of the nature of the Nation. But stories like this is just Drew Edwards sharing his disdain for all things Riders too. He like to provide the material for the haters to fill their boots. Really, Drew, you listen to the reply pod cast and pulled this gem to write about. Thanks again for piling on lou.

11. Forget the coaches and quarterbacks – TSN needs to have Sheldon mic’d up for the game.
    Its actually impressive how mad the guy can get without swearing. I couldn’t get half that mad without dropping 10 F-bombs.

12. riderontheisland // July 5, 2018 at 2:46 pm //

No need to read or listen because I’ve heard it all before from the handful that make themselves heard. This is not new because they have been around for my lifetime. You won’t win with these guys and I recently ditched the Riderprider fan page because it was a collection of this. They are the uninformed minority that think they know everything and then call for heads to roll because things don’t happen the way they believe it should. These are the same people that will lose their sh*t in a 35-3 win because someone missed a tackle. Enjoy it haters but far from a reflection of Rider Nation.

13. Yycbanjopicker // July 5, 2018 at 3:01 pm //

Sheldon used to be a regular caller and then kind of fell of the radar last year. I heard him after game 1 and back for game 3. Win or lose (most likely) I will be tuning in for more radio gold from this guy! Great to have him back!

14. Fake, phony, fraud, staged. This guy did this to try to fan the flames. Yes, Rider fans are passionate, but this is phony. What he’s saying doesn’t make sense, and three games into a season after a 10 win season, just a couple of years removed from a 3-15 season, no real fan is freaking out like this. Real fans remember what it was like to be a 3-15 team. If you had heard a freakout like this then it might have been understandable. Now it’s a fake. No real fan is POed like that right now. We struggled early last year too, and ended up with 10 wins. All real fans know this. They know the arc the team has taken over the last few years. This is a fraud, staged theatrics.

• If he’s one of the known freakout types on the call in shows then he may have done this to get attention. It’s still phony, but he may have done it in response to the rest of the staged anti-Chris Jones propaganda, the fake new campaign, because he knew it would get him attention.

• riderontheisland // July 5, 2018 at 3:14 pm //

RFD, I know what you mean and when I used to live in the province the hosts would know the callers by name because they did it week in and week out. Unfortunately those regulars are just the loud mouths trying to get attention that really don’t know anything about football. My mother loses her mind like this yet her favorite players are always the kickers so……..ya. Mob mentality here and this guy is trying to be a leader.

• Is RFD actually Craig Reynolds? Who is the real phony here? Sheldon, although quite excited hit the nail on the head!

• I don’t think RFD is Craig Reynolds but I think Sheldon may really be Craig Reynolds. I think RFD is actually Chris Jones’ kid.

• Tailgate YYC // July 5, 2018 at 3:18 pm //

Agree.
      You can hear him almost laugh once…….
      But good radio.

• Yes, 10 wins was quite the accomplishment last year – lets give Chris Jones a participation ribbon woohoo. How many wins did Wpg and Edm have? 12 wins. How many wins did Cgy have? 13 wins.
      Real fans don’t care who’s name is on the back of a jersey or who’s name is on a coach’s office door. They want a respectable team that can win games that are important for fans such as the final game at old mosaic or the Humboldt tribute game.

• no…really….there is something wrong with him….he spews like that on non-sports talk shows too….

15. Jones is not a GM, that is 100% obvious.

• Yeah, taking this team from 3 wins to 10 wins was just luck, right? He hasn’t found any talent at all. Hardly any of his players on our roster … oh wait! None of this is true!

• MR. Green // July 5, 2018 at 3:45 pm //

I’m with you RFD in Jones. Many people just don’t like him for no reason and look for anything to complain about. He knows what needs to be done and will get us where we need to be. Week 3 and people are losing thier minds. 2-4 last year and people were losing thier minds. If you follow the Riders closely you know what a good and humble man Jones is. Anyone who spouts off does not know squat. I enjoyed the call at the time and don’t need to listen again. We were all angry, however, it’s one game. Any football guy knows this is a good team with a good coach with tons of potential, like last year. You never throw in the towel and fire and cut everyone after a bad game or two when success has been there. Stick with the process. Carter will be back full time on offence soon. Besides, he will b better tonight. He deserves credit for stepping up where most would not be up to the challenge and quit, like Lemon and Newsome.

• I’m not sure there are all that many people who don’t like Chris Jones. There is clearly a campaign going to try to undermine him, starting with a certain group in the Regina media which includes Davis and Gasson right here, and some people will have been sucked in by that, but I don’t think there is very much genuine dislike for Jones. People are excited about the way he’s brought this team back to not only respectability but they can see that can build a contender as well. Merchandise sales were up 10% last year. That tells you people are happy and excited about the team again.

• MR. Green // July 5, 2018 at 4:03 pm //

Glasson, I ripped him one the other day. He is clueless. Davis is just an arrogant know it all. On the Green Zone he pisses me off. I know Jamie Nye from way back and he knows how I feel about Davis.
            Sales were in the 8 million range last year. It does show support for THIS team. The Jones hater who support the Riders are not real fans. Thier impatient and don’t see the big picture.

• Rider17 // July 5, 2018 at 5:16 pm //

Agree 100% Go Rider

16. Stampeder horses broken leg // July 5, 2018 at 3:26 pm //

Fact is you will never hear or see this passion in Montreal, BC, Toronto, or Calgary. They have fans who just don’t care about their teams. Stamps fans are only around if there is a chance to be in the playoffs. And even then it’s easy to get tickets. I live there.
    Toronto, BC and Montreal are happy with 18,000 fans in cities of millions or more.

Seeing this passion and love for a local team is refreshing even if he is angry. Other teams can follow the Riders footsteps about marketing their team. That marketing drive the passion for its fans.

• BC Dave // July 5, 2018 at 8:57 pm //

I have been a BC fan over 5 decades so FU my friend. I even get arguments from other so called BC fans when I say that a players impressed me in a game. Then I get asked 3 games later when he has a not do great outing if I finally agree with him. Maybe you are right when you talk about MOST of our fans but please do not include all in your comments. I live in Edmonton and even go to games in Vancouver. Even took my friends kids to meet the Lions at their hotel last week before they boarded their bus to go to the stadium. I love my Lions so. I know another one here in Alberta just like me sp please do not lump us in with the rest of them.

17. Dundas dude // July 5, 2018 at 3:27 pm //

It’s not worth it. If your team bugs you: vacuum or take the dog for a walk, or paint…but don’t sit there and stew. Montreal has a lot of pride too, so winning is never easy.

Saskatchewan will figure this out. The Riders came very close to beating the best team in 2017 in the eastern final. Relax, enjoy it, have a beer, but don’t turn a fun thing into torture.

18. mr62cats // July 5, 2018 at 3:34 pm //

If this is not a concocted phone call…..I’d suggest Sheldon should first of all take a shower and then take his wife out for a relaxing dinner.Then he needs to realize that it’s only football….not the end of the world.
    After that he needs to find a non-sport hobby. He needs to do all these things because most CFL fans will agree with him that it will be a long and disappointing season for the Roughriders!

19. Come on Shelly babe.
    Roll a fat one an chill out.
    Cats by 17.
    Sorry Shell

• riderontheisland // July 5, 2018 at 3:49 pm //

Tiger, he wants to but waiting to be legal.hahaha.
      Hard to argue with your score, but the Riders are a much better team than what they have shown. Besides if they lose by 17 Jones is going to release the lot of them

20. waveman // July 5, 2018 at 3:39 pm //

I’m still wondering why tsn stayed on shermans gut, that wasn’t funny at all! it was just creepy to watch, smarten up tsn, when you see a hairy gut..please pull away

• Agreed. They wont show a drunk run around on the field (rightly so), but show them an old mans gut and they are fat kids on a smarty.

• The camera operator may have been a hot 20 yr old female. She may not have been able to avert the camera away from that sexy specimen tied up with headset cord.

21. 100% marks for the call. Well done Sheldon. It’s inexcusble what Jones is doing, not only has he killed the Duron Carter brand but he’s sinking his own reputation. Inexcusable roster management.

22. This might be one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard! This has to be my personal highlight of the season so far. So amazing.

23. They could have written most of the transcript in all CAPS and used a lot of exclamation marks.

24. At least Sheldon shows passion, which makes him a fan. It’s when fans tune out and become resigned to losing (which I saw a lot of as a Ticat fan in the 90s and O0s) that becomes a problem. So I offer to Riders and Als fan an old Richard Nixon quote: “only when you have been in the deepest valley can you appreciate being atop the highest mountain. “

25. Jeff Garcia's Agent // July 5, 2018 at 4:56 pm //

Glen Suitor is the Chris Collinsworth of the CFL.

26. Evil Empire // July 5, 2018 at 5:18 pm //

It’s a Rider fan. So, it goes without saying. Doesn’t one have to have a mind to lose one’s mind ?

Just sayin.

27. I’ve heard ‘Sheldon’ before…this isn’t the first time he’s gone on a rave and made himself sound like a fool. I’d like to think that most fans–whichever team they support–have sufficient perspective about how things go over the course of a long season. It is seldom a simple, easy ride for Any team over the 6 months of play (and this is also something that those who report on the teams should keep in mind, too…)

28. Steve O // July 5, 2018 at 5:49 pm //

Send Coach Ken Austin to rebuild the team…..NOT!

29. HAHA shout out to Polka-rama!

30. Greenland // July 5, 2018 at 6:03 pm //

Everyone relax. I know “Sheldon” or is that his real name? Perhaps not. Although he is a big Rider fan, he regularly calls into the radio station and he puts on a bit of an act, and now has a following. So chill.

31. if this is real i feel sorry for his wife/family

32. foxconn // July 5, 2018 at 9:49 pm //

Theyshould keep Sheldon on hold after every Riders loss. Lol!

33. Pissed off
    Masoli not getting it done
    Manziel in. No brainer Jones.
    Got his record who gives a you no what.
    Come on Jones.
    You should have known better.
    Looks likes years gone past.
    Throwing in the towel thanks to you.

34. True Green // July 6, 2018 at 12:13 am //

Sheldon is a beauty, I love when he calls in!

35. Sheldon’s rants are SO worth listening to. Welcome to the football passion that is Riderville.

36. Ti cats r worst in the league.
    Never will they win a cup.
    Can’t beat lowly Riders should be ashamed of yourself along with owner Bob Young.
    Keep buying into team
    End up at the bottom.
    Trade Manzeil and get some money back.

37. Jeffrey Pedler // July 6, 2018 at 2:31 am //

How was Bridge 8 for 18 and 2 ints, did the guy even look at the stats.

38. Eddie Rivers // July 6, 2018 at 12:06 pm //

Absolutely brilliant rant but to be fair on the footballing points he’s absolutely spot on.

Not sure as the Acess 7 stuff as we don’t get that in the UK