Riders Duron Carter arrested for marijuana possession

Saskatchewan Roughriders receiver Duron Carter is facing a marijuana possession charge.

According to the story, court records show Carter was arrested Feb. 1 in Saskatoon and is scheduled to appear March 27 in Provincial Court.

The team issued a statement to local media.

“We can confirm there was an incident early this morning where Duron Carter was charged with marijuana possession at the Saskatoon Airport. He was released from the airport and given an upcoming court date. We are working to gather more information and continue to monitor the situation,” it read.

52 Comments on Riders Duron Carter arrested for marijuana possession

1. Jeff Garcia's Agent // February 2, 2018 at 1:35 pm //

How do you get busted in Saskatoon? There’s people smoking weed outside of nearly every nightclub every weekend. God this guy is dumb some times!

• Duron is not ‘dumber’ than anyone else. The cops probably knew who it was and did it on purpose-make an example of him. After all , it is till illegal. BY THE WAY, Justin Trudeau admitted to smoking weed in his office as an MP several years back. Why not arrest him ?

• So did his mother while dad was PM The RCMP would smell it while standing outside of door!
        I think Carters’ situation exemplifies the reason why it is being made legal soon
        Oh wait, many here don’t seem too big on 2nd chances, quick, cut him loose!!

• It’s actually carters 3 chance as he was reportedly busted in Winnipeg earlier this year for the same charges lol

• Diggity Dog // February 2, 2018 at 1:48 pm //

Hey Jeffrey, you seem to be contradicting yourself there boy!! If there is people smoking weed outside every nightclub every weekend, how to you define DC as dumb……how is he any different than the other bunch of people smoking weed that no one cares about anymore, except the idiot Saskatoon cops that is.

• @Diggity Dog Maybe “Duron Carter was charged with marijuana possession at the Saskatoon Airport” will provide the crucial clue you need.
        Smoking weed at an airport. Carrying weed at an airport. None of these scenarios speak to an excess of intellectual acuity.

• I think it may be related to trying to him get onto a plane, but I’m not sure.
      What a dummy, he should know his profile will make him a target for law enforcement. Until it’s legal, it isn’t. Millennials.

• So as of 3 weeks ago ;RCMP stated that there would be no more csrges laid for possession of pot. Now all of a sudden some cop decided he’d be a big hero and bust a celeb. Now who is dumb…..

• Saskatoon airport authority and the Municipal police are different than the RCMP. Now who is dumb…

• brian johnson // February 2, 2018 at 4:18 pm //

Airport Security called police.
        Take something illegal on a flight YOU WILL Get Busted. Or walk home to Regina!!!
        Carter is a Dumbbell for that. But we know that already.

• No, it seems not everyone knows that yet. No matter what he does, there’s an excuse, a disclaimer, some blame shifting…he was trying to BREAK UP all those arguments he gets mixed up in, Campbell shouldn’t have been on the field, pot will be legal soon, and so on and so forth.

His dad talked about having fall guys. This is a dude who was raised by someone who preached about NOT taking responsibility. Duron himself once talk about being able to talk his way out of any situation. Why does anyone ever think he’ll turn a corner? He has no motivation to.

2. Diggity Dog // February 2, 2018 at 1:39 pm //

Cops are still arresting people for pot?? Man, who cares about pot. Isnt it about to be legalized in Sask anyways?

• White Horse // February 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm //

Sask is a very conservative, semi-right wing province. I am not sure that Sask will hop on the federal junk wagon as you think. Just think of Brad Wall and the carbon tax for starters. (I know he is gone) As a Albertan I tend to believe my thoughts in this regard and Jason Kenny as the next Alta Premier will hold out full support of the feds as well even after the July deadline. Screw the NDP and Notley in their Fed bandwagon.
      D. Carter should have his head read for being stupid again?

3. Blackhawk89 // February 2, 2018 at 1:42 pm //

It’s going to be legal in a few months what a waste of time.

• Diggity Dog // February 2, 2018 at 1:46 pm //

Cops in Saskatoon are idiots. Huge waste of time but they will target him instead of the other 5 guys standing outside having a pull on a joint.

• You keep overlooking the fact that BORDER OFFICIALS called in the Saskatoon cops. No matter what happens in Canada in the future, it’s not legal now and you can’t carry across a BORDER.

4. Given societies acceptance of the stuff, the fact it was just a possession charge and the fact it’s going to be legal for recreational use this year I’m guessing that he just gets a fine.

Though I’m sure some Stamp fans will see this worthy of a lifetime ban from the CFL.

• Diggity Dog // February 2, 2018 at 1:50 pm //

At lease he wasnt selling it like the stamps player was out of his mothers home with a full back pack of it. teeeeheeee

5. Another dumb individual who becomes a criminal who is employed by the Sliders whom the Sliders will embrace with open arms….more of the “same old same old” in Sliderville.

• I did coke with a starting Lions player last season night before a game. Eff off Lions fan. Vancouver is the scum of Canada. Get over yourself, you’re probably a massive pothead yourself in BC

• Provemewrong // February 2, 2018 at 2:49 pm //

BS. Plain and simple.

• Diggity Dog // February 2, 2018 at 2:54 pm //

she said she did coke, maybe it was a coca cola. teeeheeee. Bottom line here folks is there are a number of players on every team, I mean every team that smoke pot. Dont deny it, its no biggi so dont make a big deal if DC does it.

• Men don’t say “teehee”, and for the price me wrong guy you’re probably a deadbeat loser from Alberta. Broke joke is what most Canadian girls call you guys.

• Provemewrong // February 2, 2018 at 7:38 pm //

Helen, most guys would call you “Hey want to earn 20 bucks”…

• Stumps choke // February 2, 2018 at 2:42 pm //

You’re an ass.

• Habsnriders // February 2, 2018 at 3:21 pm //

Oh I’m sure none of the choir boys employed by the lions have ever smoked pot . Get a life

• Jeff Garcia's Agent // February 2, 2018 at 3:21 pm //

I accidentally did heroine because I was walking through needles like they were leaves on the ground going in to BC Place. Go start another riot you tool

6. It’s always something with this guy…

• I’m not a pot smoker but only in Saskatchewan do you see this kind of BS when it’s being decriminalized and all over Canada are pot shops illegally selling the shit….

It’s sad because a conviction for him could jeopardize him for a life time.

In California, they’re planning to erase pot convictions when it becomes legal and Canada is looking at how they can do the same.

• For sure, and I get that soon it’ll be far more common place, but common *sense* would suggest that you can wait a few more months. It may not hurt him much when it’s all said and done but why risk it?

7. Riderforlife // February 2, 2018 at 2:15 pm //

I thought he was still in the states as told he ain’t back up here in Saskatchewan lol

8. 5 months from now this is not a charge. I too am sure it will be a fine and considering the new law I don’t forsee any issues. Those cops I guarantee have let people walk away before. They pick on a famous black man. Saskatoon police have been found racist in the past.

• Provemewrong // February 2, 2018 at 2:37 pm //

If he was caught in the airport, it was likely by the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA), not the city police.

9. Postpone it til July and he’ll get an absolute discharge….Big deal

10. Cop was probably some idiot from Calgary

11. NO ONE ELSE READ AIRPORT OBVI. HE WAS CROSSING BORDER. YEAH THAT BE AN ISSUE. I FLY DOMESTICALLY WITH IT. NOT INTERNATIONALLY .. WHAT A DUMBASSS

• The story was updated with the airport piece. When it was first posted, that part was not included, so many of the people here commented without knowing.

• “many of the people here commented without knowing.”

I think you just summed up the entire Internet.

• Jeff Garcia's Agent // February 2, 2018 at 3:28 pm //

I commented an hour before you did. They updated the original post after most of the original comments. Take your caps lock and stick it up your ass.

12. Why are the police bothering with this? Here in BC people smoke it everywhere and cops just walk by. This is a joke.

13. Apparently he was arrested & charged for the same thing in Winterpeg a week ago.
    What a loser….

14. I believe there have been conditions imposed by cfl on Manziel regarding drugs and alcohol. I think if it was Manziel who did exactly what carter did you guys would have a different take. Manziel will be more scrutiniEd than any other player in cfl by team and cfl. I think there has to be discipline by cfl. Am I worried about a little marijuana that carter was caught with no.

• Now Ambrosie has to be consistent or he will look like he has different standards for different players.

15. Edward Leslie // February 2, 2018 at 4:50 pm //

Society’s going to hell. FACT: Marijuana is a gateway drug that often leads to harder drugs; It increases car accidents; it kills brain cells; and it stinks! Carter should wise up and throw that crap in the garbage… where it belongs.

• True green // February 3, 2018 at 9:57 am //

Edward Leslie: Alcohol is the biggest gateway drug. Read an article post 1967 and you’ll soon learn cannabis is relatively safe compared to alchohol, although not good for under 21 year old brain development. And there are literally 100’s if medicinal uses. And no, I’m not a pot head. Just someone who can research and make educated decisions and comments. That’s a FACT

16. legalize it. This is ridiculous. Two US states have full legality. Washington and Colorado. Other states are medical marijuana. I think BC is non criminal as is the states of Oregon and Alaska.

17. Randy told him to get a second job. Export import business. @RandyAmbrosie must have told @JManziel2 to start a business when he gave him his no drugs conditions. If commish lets Duron slide will look like prejudice against Arab American and fashion mogul Manz. NYC Fashion week baby..
    Brooke Shields..Nothing gets between me and my Johnnie Manziels

18. Edward Leslie // February 3, 2018 at 3:11 pm //

True Green: I guess “True Green” refers to being a Riders fan, not pro-marijuana then (I.E.: Green day).
    Alcohol might be worse, but legalizing weed will only make things worse.
    Marijuana as some kind of wonder drug is grossly overstated. Mostly just something that fills the senses during pain, like morphine. Doesn’t do any actual good. Just junk science.
    Duron Carter and other players should stay “Just day no to drugs.”

19. Reading the tweet from police… I would expect they should at least be able to spell ‘marijuana’ correctly…

20. North of 49 // February 3, 2018 at 6:10 pm //

Man I had to laugh at the picture of Duron On the Article. His facial expression… priceless! It reminds me of DYN-O-MITE Jimmy Walker on the show Good Times. Hilarious!
    Plus Jimmy was known to smoke a bag a weekend back in the late 70’s