Half of the NFL has checked in with Manziel’s agent about Johnny Football

Johnny Manziel has not played a regular season snap in the CFL, but NFL teams are watching closely.

“I’ve had probably half the league reach out to me and go, ‘man that’s exactly where he needs to be right now, around teammates, around June, continuing to learn ball, get better, be back in the game,'” Manziel’s agent Erik Burkhardt said on Barstool Sports Comeback SZN podcast.

“Whether it’s GMs or head coaches or offensive coordinators all around the NFL, I’ve literally probably had half the NFL reach out and say ‘look we’re still watching him, he’s right where he needs to be, tell him to keep his head down, keep working, keep learning and he’ll be right back where he should be here soon enough’. That’s been really encouraging.”

Manziel played in two pre-season games completing 21-of-31 passes for 168 yards, one touchdown, no interceptions and rushed six times for 29 yards, which earned the 25-year-old the backup job. But he has yet to see action in games that count due in large part to how well current Ticats starter Jeremiah Masoli is playing, despite chomping at the bit to play.

“It’s definitely hard as anybody would want to play. We’ll get a chance to make it shake eventually and get a chance to play,” Manziel said.

“Whenever it happens, I’ll be ready to go for sure.”

75 Comments on Half of the NFL has checked in with Manziel’s agent about Johnny Football

1. Right
    Just like Fred Fateri claimed all teams had contacted him about acquiring Kevin Fetrik in 2003

• Nik from Smuts // July 9, 2018 at 1:57 pm // Reply

Red, will you just take a hike man!!!!!! All you do is spout off abuse towards other teams and stick your head in the sand when it comes to your stamps team. Everyone is sick of your comments and stupidity. Just leave will ya, no one wants you here can you not see that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Tailgate YYC // July 9, 2018 at 2:21 pm // Reply

Not cool
        This time he’s right and relates to the story,
        One thing Red does not do is personally bash the poster.

• Stampeding // July 9, 2018 at 2:41 pm // Reply

I just made a comment that has NOTHING to do with the riders. I actually took a little jab at my own team. You guys are growing a unhealthy grievance towards me.
        I’ve reached out, offering to meet people to show I have nothing to hide, and this is the treatment I get.
        Talk about unfair!

• I love NFLSKY .COM. I was looking for an alternative to cable. I found NFLSKY .COM it was the greatest choice have ever made. I have never looked back. Basic cable has never been this inexpensive.
        Thanks N F L S K Y .C O M .
        _______________

2. I really wonder if this is manufactured hype or if there is really that much interest – excellent for him if he does have that much interest and hopefully we will get a chance to see him plan in real game action at some point even if it is only designed packages for him.

3. Paul Bomber // July 9, 2018 at 12:47 pm // Reply

Perhaps Hammy could take some lessons from their fave Manitobianites, Coach O’Shea and LaPolice and put Manziel in on some short yardage packages that stretches for a couple of plays, catch the D with their short yardage beef on the field?

4. rogieshan // July 9, 2018 at 1:14 pm // Reply

Have to admit Manziel has demonstrated to be a model citizen & solid teammate thus far. Live him or hate him, I think fans across the league are curious to see how he fares on the field.

• CFL is as well as all sport networks are waiting. If Jones puts Manziel in for a series of downs and Manziel moves the ball and shows signs of Johnny Football ” the fans in Hamilton and across Canada and USA and sport networks are all over it. It becomes a pressure cooker for Masoli and the Hamilton organization

• rogieshan // July 9, 2018 at 3:16 pm // Reply

True. And, conversely, if Manziel fails on the field, his value diminishes across the board. Coach Jones is in somewhat of a no-win situation with a depreciating asset sitting in his garage.

• Time to allow Manziel to truly compete. Playing Mazoli no matter how ineffective he is for long stretches is not a thing. At some point it will appear like Jones is keeping Manziel down just to show he can and to cover up for what he first said. Do we forget what Jones first said about Manziel.? No. Mazoli is who Mazoli is? We’ve seen his celing – time to move on.

5. Huff's Neighbor // July 9, 2018 at 1:16 pm // Reply

Ticats lose so 3D puts up a Manziel story instead. LOL.

6. They just checking in to see what the view is like from the bench ?

7. SeaFiddle // July 9, 2018 at 2:15 pm // Reply

Always find the negativity from CFL fans interesting. The guy hasn’t even Taken a snap but they know he’s terrible. All 32 teams were represented to see him at the spring league to see him. Yeah no one bit but the fact that they were there shows that his 2 years in the NFL were decent. It seems like CFL fans are celebrating that he hasn’t played yet…. as if that somehow makes the CFL look better than it is. There is no doubt that JF could be starting right now on most of the teams. There is also no doubt that if he started from day one the TiCats would be no worse than the 2-2 that they are and likely would be 3-1.

One thing for sure if the NFL doesn’t pick him up after 2 years and he stays in the CFL a little longer it won’t be in Hamilton.

• Seafiddl100% right on. Hamilton will not be trading him in the east and all the negative people can figure that out on their own. K let me help. Because he could beat them and hurt their chances to get into playoffs.

• Starting on MOST of the CFL teams?
      BC—not likely with Lulay getting ready to supplant Jennings
      Edmonton—hell no
      Calgary—nope
      Bombers—never
      Riders— quite possibly
      Ottawa—not with Harris
      Argos—Franklin is solid there
      Als—hell yes
      Hamilton—no, not with Masoli still playing well

• Disagree, respectfully with Lions and Argos…both teams need to get SOMEONE in there to initiate a pulse with the fan base again…no secret Wally was trying to make a play to get Manziel…and as far as Franklin goes, one game does not make a QB…predict he’ll fall flat on his face in Alberta next game…and the search is on since his predecessor is currently checking out retirement homes in the GTA.

• Johnny has done nothing as a pro, 7tds, 7int, 57% comp, 75 passer rating. The still needs to learn the pro game, and I hope he does. He has to wait for his time.

8. Green&Gold // July 9, 2018 at 2:28 pm // Reply

The first qb in Halifax? That would be cool.

• Not in our life time. Get over it, Halifax doesn’t have money for a $200 Million dollar stadium and there is no way that the province would commit infrastructure money to a CFL stadium.

• richinbanff (Rich Wilson) // July 9, 2018 at 4:46 pm // Reply

I disagree. It seems as though the city is open-minded to an Ottawa-style mixed use project. Halifax city council favours this model; it’s about location.

• Jeff/sjim/Flutie the soccer troll with his usual no evidence troll job. Who says they’ll be using infrastructure money

9. Evil Empire // July 9, 2018 at 2:33 pm // Reply

This could very well be true. Or considering that even though Masoli got another 300 yd game. I thought he has some really really bad throws in that game. I was actually really surprised the way he played. So, it could be a way to keep Manziel relevant, and also plant the seed for a bit of justification to make the change at QB. It could be both. But, I think Masoli would actually have to have a bad game before the change gets made. By bad I mean, like 200 yds, with a cpl picks, and of course a big loss. Or if they just lose a cpl in a row where Masoli didn’t play really well. There’s a difference between some really bad throws, and an actual bad game, though. But, without the bad throws, Ham would have won easily. Every team has looked off. Even BLM has looked very ordinary in a cpl games. But, they’ve still managed to win those cpl games.

Whether they’re watching or not, though. He’s in Canada until the end of next season. I think alot of ppl just really want to see him play. To see how he’ll do in a reg season game. I didn’t care about all the talk until after he actually signed, and crossed the border. I didn’t have the opportunity to see him in the pre-season. So, I am curious to see him play a real game.

I’m glad Masoli has been given the starts, as I think he earned the job over the last 1/3 of last season. But, they’re still only .500 now. In the East, that’s easily enough to finish first. But, it’s hardly an ideal win percentage. Sooner, or later I’d at least try the change if they stay at .500. Maybe that’s just me though.

• Good posting evil empire. I am thinking that there will be the change to NFL window and he.can be. Gone if NFL team picks him next year. Keep an up eye on that charge after this season is over. Only my opinion.

10. No surprise // July 9, 2018 at 3:00 pm // Reply

Have to be realistic here. Nobody knows for sure whether Manziel will be good or bad in the CFL so I don’t know how anyone can either condemn him or recommend him. Odds are at some point, he will get his chance to show what he can do. That isn’t being negative but it is being realistic. The longer that he can play backup, the better his odds will be of having success when he does hit the field. Patience will serve him and the fans best in the mean time.
    What do you expect his agent to say? That there is absolutely no interest in him? He is paid to promote him.

11. I’m confused that NFL teams didn’t already reach out after his successful Spring League play. It’s just now that they’re paying attention? We don’t know that he’d be better than Masoli, or the unjustified claim that Hamilton would be 3 – 1 with him at the helm. All we can do is hope he gets a chance to play and excel. I hope he does.

12. Jim Mullin // July 9, 2018 at 3:17 pm // Reply

Brian is right. Agent talk.
    Although the agent may be correct and factual, the spin is an effort to keep the story and value of his client energized.

13. Mike Mayock // July 9, 2018 at 3:21 pm // Reply

People need to realize that Johnny doesn’t necessarily have to get on the field in the CFL to get back to the NFL. Everyone is well aware of what his skill-set is. Either they already like him or they don’t. If he ever plays then great but if not it will become more about did it help him mature as a person, did he strengthen his knowledge of football, etc. When you think about it, it may even help his image more by being a great teammate in a backup role for the whole season.

• richinbanff (Rich Wilson) // July 9, 2018 at 4:50 pm // Reply

I believe this became the thrust of Manzeil’s CFL experience. Prove to the NFL he’s changed by being a humble backup.

14. well johnny hasn’t thrown any interceptions yet; pretty positive

15. Advertising

16. I don’t see anything in the article that indicates any NFL team is interested in actually hiring Manziel. Well-wishes don’t count for much in football.

• Mr62cats lets keep this simple. How many well wishes are the starting quarterbacks in CFL getting from NFL teams? Why would NFL teams be following Manziel who hasn’t played in a reular season game. Everyone by now knows that answer and no use repeating.

17. My Cat friends and I think its time to play Johnny a few drives a game and let’s see what happens. Another alternative is to bring Johnny in on two point conversion attempts after a touchdown (assuming the Cat offense can score a TD (hello Riders ….)). If it works great and if it doesn’t figure out why not.

18. fannotacoach // July 9, 2018 at 4:12 pm // Reply

Have not had a Johnny story for a while so a little click bait to keep things going. I do not wish him ill, however until the starter fails he won’t see much field. A blow out for or against and he gets on. In the meantime I’m sure he is working hard in practice and learning the game as played in the CFL so it’s not dead time.

19. SeaFiddle // July 9, 2018 at 4:31 pm // Reply

Forget college where JF was a total phenom. I watched every snap he took in the NFL. He should have started from the beginning in Cleveland but he had a coach who did’t want him and he got no help in the QB room. He started 6 games in 2015 and he won two of them (49ers and Titans) and was close in two others (Pitt and KC). McCown started the rest and only won one game. The next year JF was gone D Kizer went 0-15. JF outplayed both of those guys despite his huge off field issues.

I watched his spring league games and both of his preseason games with the TiCats. These games were after a 2 year layoff and it was obvious that he was not in top physical condition yet. Despite that he did very well.

I never watched a CFL game before JF came to Hamilton. So far I have watched tons of games on YouTube and every CFL game that has been played this year. I haven’t seen any CFL QB who is better than JF could be if he was playing.

CFL fans like to say it takes a long time for Int QB’s to be able to play in the CFL. It’s not true as proved by Streveler and Mathews. It just takes a long time for a new player to get a chance because there are only 9 teams and openings don’t pop up that often.

If JF manages to start at some point he will prove that again. In the meanwhile he is proving what he needs to prove; that he can work hard, be a great supportive teammate, and stay clean. If he can continue that he will be back in the NFL whether he plays or not.

If he doesn’t play it will be the CFL’s loss. When you are only seeing 12000 fans show up to games you are treading water. JF Has more fans than the whole CFL. Too bad they are getting no gain from having one of the most exciting players to play in a generation.

20. richinbanff (Rich Wilson) // July 9, 2018 at 4:54 pm // Reply

Streveler is being a Wildcat QB for the Bombers. Yeah he beat up some bad defences but he is not ready to be a full-time QB. Mathews is in his fourth year in the league, and he is marginal at best. Is Manzeil better than those two? Probably. Is he better than Mitchell, Reilly, Harris or Mazoli? Watch more and tell us what you think.

• Rich Wilson. Let’s level the playing field since Manziel didn’t get to play yet. There isn’t one quarterback you mention that did what Johnny Manziel did as a freshman and sophomore in college. Which one is as picked in the nfl first round. Let’s keep it similar let they all arrive at cfl at same time. Who do you think any cfl would pick first. Yes Manziel. Johnny won’t be in cfl long so no body of work to compare to. Masoli is mobile but Manziel is quicker ands I’ll be better to extend plays. The other quarterbacks don’t bring that asset to the table. Go back two years with Masoli a back up and Manziel comes up when June Jones got to Hamilton. Manziel is his dream quarterback. Who do you think would have been Hamilton’s quarterback Not Masoli given the playing cieldc as equal and they were both starting under Jerry es.

21. Old school CFL fans are insecure about where it stacks up against the NFL. If an NFLer walks in and dominates immediately that means the CFL sucks. But if Super Bowl runner up Vince Ferragamo walks in and fails…that means the CFL is one badass league.

• All of which puts some people in the position of hoping people fail. Or Schadenfreude a German word in Webster’s which roughly translates to taking pleasure in other people’s misfortune…not someone you want for a friend.

22. No surprise // July 9, 2018 at 5:28 pm // Reply

There is no way that anyone can be that positive that Manziel ca be an instant star in the CFL, or even a long term success. Until he has taken to the field and proven himself, it is a crap shot. Saying that he will immediately be better then Reilly, Bo Levi, Mazoli and Harris is disrespecthul to some pretty good quarterbacks.
    SeaFiddle: you say that you haven’t watched any CFL games until this year and yet claim that Manziel would be the most exciting player in this league in a generation. Are you aware that Calvillo, who played with Montreal, threw for more yards then any quarterback in pro football, including the NFL? That Ricky Ray has four Grey Cup rings? After watching four weeks of one season of CFL games, you know that Manziel could be better then anyone in this league? I think you better keep watching because the best is yet to come. There are plenty of very tslented and exciting players already in the CFL. And plenty of exceptional players from the NFL that have come up and bombed in the CFL. Not saying that Manziel is one of those; only that nothing is a sure thing and no player is a shoo in.

• SeaFiddle // July 9, 2018 at 6:46 pm // Reply

Manziel would have been an instant star had he started. Unfortunately circumstances have squellched that star power. And the constant answer I hear for why JF couldn’t be that good is because it would be disrepectful to the CFL if he was.

Manziel was the most exciting NCAA QB in a generation…. hands down. I never saw Calvillo play so I can’t comment on him. But I watched Doug Floutie play throughout college and he is supposed to be one of the best ever in the CFL. While it’s true that Johnny Football hasn’t proven crap in the CFL thus far, it’s also true that JF was a far better player in college than Flutie. JF was faster, more accurate, and more ellusive than Flutie and Flutie is on video acknowledging those facts.

Manziel is a very Flutie like player ( but he is better than Flutie) and that is why I believe he would be great in the CFL provided he sticks around long enough to show it. Which is up in the air at this point.

23. Edward Leslie // July 9, 2018 at 5:45 pm // Reply

Never has so much been written about someone who has accomplished so little.
    The NFL teams should check out Bo Levi Mitchell, Jeremiah Masoli and Mike Reilly while they are waiting arlund to scout Johnny Manziel.
    Manziel’s clipboard holding skills are unmatched so far though.

• Hilarious, and bang on!

• Edward those quarterbacks would have been long gone iif nfl wanted them. You can have a situation. Where Manziel does t play or start in a game and be back to nfl. Johnny Manziel will do better in cfl given his talents so let’s grt him to start a game. It t just go in for a couple of plays

24. SeaFiddle // July 9, 2018 at 6:21 pm // Reply

So Manziel can not be as good as Reilly, Mitchell, Harris, etc, etc and yet not one of those guys got a 2nd look from the NFL much less start NFL games.

I watched Mitchell have a really bad game against the TiCats. He wasn’t even pressured and he threw 48%. Yes, his next game was great but my opinion so far is that Mitchell is solid but not that mobile and he is playing on probably the best team in the CFL. Reilly looked pretty good in the comeback against the Bombers but hasn’t shown me that much since. Harris looks decent partly because you have people like Willy, Jennings and Bridge in the league who make everyone else look great.

It might take JF a little bit of time to get up to full speed (not too long) but JF can do all the things those guys can do and much more.

The only thing I will grant you is that there are a set of skills that a QB needs to excell in the CFL. Not all NFL QB’s have those skills and so they would have a hard time playing behind a typical CFL offensive line (Doug Flutie recently pointed that out). However, Johnny Manziel has that skill set in spades.

• Sea fiddle I Agee. 100%. I have not missed a full game televised with Manziel playing his first two years at Texas A&M. And every snap televised in nfl. The last years even with his off field issues he played well. In the nfl some teams only want a pocket quarterback. There are a few that want duel threat and Manziel extendingvkays is a natural. In cf all teams would love a Johnny Manziel type player.

25. Manziel is in the perfect situation. He can learn how to be a pro athlete and a reliable teammate from Jeremiah Masoli.

26. Edward… BLM went undrafted by NFL. Was on their radar at SMU and EWU. Masoli signed as UDFA by 49ers. Cut before camp over. Reilly signed as UDFA by Steelers. Cut just at end. NFL knows about them and passed. The reality is all the CFL QB stars were passed over after college or cut the first summer after college. Manziel lasted two years and had 2 wins in 6 starts in 2015. In 2016 Notre Dame’s Kizer had 0 wins in 15 starts. John was never afforded that kind of opportunity because Coach Petine hated him for his style of play and off field life style. John was cut because he was a punk not because he could not play in the NFL. He just had to prove he is no longer a punk.

• SeaFiddle // July 9, 2018 at 7:02 pm // Reply

And you are totally correct Hal. Petine didn’t want Manziel and he never gave him a real chance. Manziel, the Browns #1 pick, played even with Hoyer, a six year backup, in the preseason but Petine went with Hoyer anyway. Hoyer was gone the next year so instead of developing their #1 pick they wasted the year on a backup. On top of that Hoyer hated Manziel and the QB room was toxic. The next year they brought in McCown and never really gave JF a chance. The few chances he got proved he could play in the NFL. If you don’t believe that then tell me why, despite the incredible stupid stunts JF pulled ( to get himself out of Cleveland) Every NFL team was still willing to take a look at him despite being out of football for two years.

The kid can play and everyone knows it……except maybe some CFL fans.

• Johnny could go to the NFL and sit on the bench but make lots of money, and we would never see him play.

• Bigfoot depending on who he is backing up from the start. Johnny Manziel is not a back up and the teams that pick him know that. Know the fans will want to see him every time the starter has problems. Football fans in USA will want to see the comeback kid Johnny football start

27. Check that Deshone Kizer played in 2017.

• Hal. You are correct. Let’s all remember Johnny Manziel even in second year played for the worst team in the NFL. Cleveland hasn’t won 2 games since he left.

28. Taking the long view, I believe the Cats are training Johnny to replace Masoli but that it is s process that may take years .Just like Masoli had to bide his time to be a starter.

If Johnny does not need years to develop the Cats may go with a two quarterback attack to throw teams into chaos. They obtained Johnny for a long term future in mind for many Grey Cups not for the NFL nor as an asset trade.

The Cats are aiming for Johnny to be the next Bo Levi Mitchell and that he will be happy to remain in Hamilton.

29. Manziel will not be a starter in the Nfl.No offensive co ordinator is going to build there offence around his style of play, Flutie had that problem. Having said all that he could be a back up. The CFL better take advantage of him while he is still here.It does no good fo the league, media and fans having him sit on the bench. The Argos need a name , and if attendance keeps going the way it is the league will be down to eight teams. Winning is not the problem, Grey Cups in 2012 and last year , and attendance is getting worse

• SeaFiddle // July 9, 2018 at 8:16 pm // Reply

Wrong……. Russell Wilson and Johnny Manziel are very similar. If Manziel didn’t have the off field issues he would be the starter in Cleveland right now.2

• Absolutely true that us a fact that no one disputes. It was the off field issues that lost him the starting job. In Cleveland.

30. I don’t think anyone thought Masoli would shine and take away JF’s chance. It’s a long season probably after Labour Day, we’ll see him. Definitely would love to see him on the West Coast.

31. Johnny Football will sell tickets. People are curious to see him play. Montreal needs him, so does the CFL. Hamilton should move him, but they won’t (can’t blame them either).

32. Edward Leslie // July 9, 2018 at 8:52 pm // Reply

John2:
    I know that the NFL gave little attention to Mitchell, Reilly and Masoli. That’s why I said that they SHOULD, given their strong play in Canada.

I think BLM might get an offer from the NFL after this season, as he’s a free agent in 2019.
    Masoli is probably too short to get NFL interest and Reilly is probably too old. Mind you, Dieter Brock didn’t go to the NFL until he was 34 or 35.
    How did he do? He was Rookie of the year with the Los Angeles Rams.

The NFL makes mistakes overlooking players all the time. Just among quarterbacks, guys like Jeff Garcia, Sean Salisbury and the afformentioned Winnipeg superstar, Ralph “Dieter” Brock are evidence of that.
    And those are guys who got a chance later. Many who should’ve never do.

33. Once the TiCats lock up the division about by say game 12 Johnny should see the meaningful playing time. A injury to Masoli would shorten this game span. Just speculation on my part based on how the TiCats are playing.

34. Edward….Frank Philchox is the best comparison. Started for Giants in 1946:title game. Falsely accused of a gambling fix. Star in Canada. Eventually exonerated

35. David Tress // July 10, 2018 at 1:07 pm // Reply

Johnny Manziel is more dangerous when he gets outside the pocket than any other quarterback in the CFL. Every team in the CFL would love to have him on their roster. When his contract is up, hopefully a CFL team will make him an offer that keeps him from making a quick return to the NFL. Hamilton should play Manziel or trade him.

36. Edward Leslie // July 10, 2018 at 4:55 pm // Reply

David: I can appreciate yout eagerness to see Johnny Football play, but get real!
    Masoli has been great as the starter. How do you give the hook to someone who’s playing great?
    That makes no sense.
    Besides, it’s only been a few games now. What’s the big rush? Are you his agent?? Needing to macimize numbers to go to the NFL in 2019 perhaps??

37. I love NFLSKY .COM. I was looking for an alternative to cable. I found NFLSKY .COM it was the greatest choice have ever made. I have never looked back. Basic cable has never been this inexpensive.
    Thanks N F L S K Y .C O M .