Kahlil Carter: Why I stepped down as defensive coordinator of the Alouettes

Kahlil Carter stepped down as defensive coordinator of the Montreal Alouettes on Thursday to take on a scouting position with the club. In this interview with 3DownNation’s Drew Edwards, he discusses what led to the move, what it means for the team and his role going forward.

3Down: Can you explain the reasons for your decision?

Carter: “People are calling me, asking if I have family issues, it’s just crazy. I stepped down for personal reasons. I don’t think anybody speculated why [former Argos DC] Corey Chamblin stepped down. He stepped down for personal reasons and people respected that. My wife and I are good, my family is good. My end goal is to be a general manager, not to be a coach in the CFL. Our organization is changing direction, new [Montreal DC] Rich Stubler is in pocket and they’re letting me go into a scouting role where I can have some autonomy over my schedule and I can help them in personnel. I worked as a scout in the arena league for three years, I helped the Alouettes in free agency during the off-season. Scouting and personnel makes more sense for me and my family. It’s a beautiful situation for me. I have a two-year contract, same terms and I get to work from home, show up in Montreal, help them build a great team and expand on my professional diversity.”

3Down: With training camp set to open in less than two weeks, the timing has raised some eyebrows.

Carter: “Why not do it now? I’ve done the work to prepare this defence to win games. The playbook is ready and it’s immaculate. The philosophy is there and much of it is shared with Stubler so he’ll have no problem transitioning using the language I’ve used to build the defence into his own structure. If Stubler wasn’t there, I wouldn’t be doing this. I did the work in personnel, we had a great free agency period and our draft was good. There’s already a good Canadian ratio and everything is built for them to have success. I think Stubler is going to do great and I’m just going to step back and help them from behind the scenes. I’m going to use my education and my experience in a less visible role. It doesn’t mean that I’m disappearing out of the CFL, it just means I’m choosing my family over coaching right now and the Alouettes are okay with that.”

3Down: How did this decision come about?

Carter: “I live in Iowa. I’ve been contemplating this for a couple of months and the organization has given me the chance to still be involved and still be with my family. I think if everybody understands that “personal reasons” are my own reasons, then they don’t have to speculate if somebody did this or that. Kavis is my brother and I love him to death and he loves me and we talked very candidly over the last couple of months about things and that’s why it’s been such an easy transition for him and for me and everything is where it is supposed to be. My wife is ecstatic believe me. I have an older daughter who is going through some life transitions, a 17-year-old daughter who is going into college, a nine-year-old stepdaughter and a two-year-old daughter. My wife works full-time and it was tough without me when I was in Calgary, even though she was on board. There’s a lot of things to consider for our family and so the Alouettes have given me another role and that’s a win for everyone.

“Here I am trying to push this coaching door open and God is telling me ‘your family, your family, your family.’ This offseason really gave me a chance to see it. There are people in my family who really need me right now and the Montreal Alouettes were gracious enough to give me an opportunity to go into scouting and work from home and have a more flexible schedule. The timing is right and I’m very grateful for that. It can’t be ‘faith, football and family’ anymore it has to be ‘faith, family and football.’ It was like that in Calgary; I was trying to win a championship so bad and people fumbled away my championships. I put so much into it and I can’t put football front of my family anymore. I have to put my family first that’s just the way it is.”

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1457 Articles)

50 Comments on Kahlil Carter: Why I stepped down as defensive coordinator of the Alouettes

1. BlindEyeTy // May 10, 2018 at 1:13 pm //

Best of luck to Kahlil

2. solara2000 // May 10, 2018 at 1:22 pm //

Understandable other than “…people fumbled away my championships”. Hmmm. Teams win. Teams lose.

3. Horsepowered // May 10, 2018 at 1:43 pm //

I dont know…all this sounds like a PR cover up for we hired a DB coach as a DC and have learned quite quickly he lacked many of the required skills to be succesful all season.

Rather than start the season with a failure in a major staff signing we will just move him to the personnel department.

I feel bad for MTL this Kavis debactle is getting too long and painful.

I wish i knew stubler and could ask his true opinion on wether he would like Hebert on hi D this year.

4. PEOPLE fumbled away his championships?? Wow throws the entire Calgary organisation under the bus. Everyone was to blame for not winning except him, his championship got fumbled away by others.

5. Guy has an opportunity to take the path that suits him. Good on him.

6. Edward Leslie // May 10, 2018 at 1:52 pm //

What the H-E double hockey sticks does “People fumbled away MY championships” mean?
    It sounds like Marquay Mcdaniel’s griping about Kamar Jordan.
    Teammates are supposed to stick together, not throw each other under the bus like that. So if Carter is blaming Bo Levi Mitchell or Kamar Jordan, it shows his lack of character and integrity.

Remember when Hamilton lost the heartbreaker GC game against Calgary? Brandon Banks had his kick return TD negated on a penalty by Taylor Reed.
    Well, everybody stood by Reed, including Speedy B.
    Win with honor. Lose with honor is a good creed to live by.
    Apparently Kahlil Carter doesn’t have any honor… and now, he isn’t a Defensive coordinator either. Good!

• Kahlil Carter // May 10, 2018 at 5:59 pm //

I believe Hamilton cut ties with Taylor Reed that next season. #Facts

7. Riders23 // May 10, 2018 at 1:53 pm //

Come on, sorry ‘People fumbled away my championship’s ” coming from a former member of the so call in one fans opinion the greatest legendary historic CFL franchise of all time speaks volumes as to ‘HOW’ normal and average the Stamp organization is and it’s having it’s own share of professional organizational dysfunction as all professional sports teams/organizations do to some extent , yes the Riders very much so at in this group of teams with their own issues. Hope this muzzels one particular Stampeder fans yapping for a time to come , but probably not some don’t accept flaws and reality even when coming fro direct and reliable sources.

8. Kahlil Carter // May 10, 2018 at 1:54 pm //

Terrible use of words by me. In those games we turned the ball over 6 times and allowed the most yards passing in one and tge longest pass play in another. The Calgary organization doesnt play football. It was a truthful statement that I mismanaged in an emotional interview. This is an emotional decision for my family and I. Forgive my poor use of metaphors.

• If you actually aspire to get into a management position you’ve got a lot to learn about accountability, my friend.

Convenient to “forget” how atrocious the secondary was in both Grey Cups. Asinine play calling on both sides of the ball for Calgary, but you CANNOT pin those losses on one person. It was a collective choke job both years.

If this is what you’re saying in an interview, I can’t imagine what you’re saying behind everyone’s back.

9. Rider Nation // May 10, 2018 at 2:11 pm //

Best of luck Khalil!

10. Jane Jackel // May 10, 2018 at 2:17 pm //

Best of luck, Mr. Carter. I wish you every success. As for the Alouettes, thank you for all the hard work you’ve put in. I’m feeling more optimistic about the team this year than I have in quite a while. Go Als!

11. Tom calder // May 10, 2018 at 2:29 pm //

To suggest that Carter is dishonorable is pretty brazen. He sounds sincere in adjusting his values, moving family up a notch. By accommodating him, the als gain his loyalty and gratitude towards the organization. He contributes off the field, and not on. Plus, Rich S. Is a pretty good plan B. I think it will all work out

• I can assure you Stubler will be a disaster in Montreal – – just as he was a disaster in Toronto – – regardless of how “immaculate” the playbook might be.

12. fancyfoot // May 10, 2018 at 2:42 pm //

wait… I am pretty sure Calgary FIRED you. Its not like you sat there and said “this organization doesn’t play football” and left, you were shown the door. I don’t think you would have lasted past the first month with the als as DC your attitude is pretty poor.

• Kahlil Carter // May 10, 2018 at 5:56 pm //

Fired? With 3 months left on a contract? No, I said then I’d rather go home and be with my family. Then the Montreal job came to fruition. Still, being at home with my family was the right decision. I put in a lot of thought and work in preparation for both scenarios. The Montreal defense is in good hands and so is my family.

13. Robbie Kirk // May 10, 2018 at 2:43 pm //

Carter’s entitled to his privacy but the timing of this – just before training camp – is lousy. He knew the time commitment of a Defensive coordinator job when he signed on for it just months ago. This puts the Als in a tough spot.

14. lol
    Stop getting yourselves into a frenzy.
    Calgary has weeded out the problems of this organization. McDaniel is gone and now I think we know why K Carter is gone too. Maybe Hughes was an issue too. It’s possible.
    Calgary has a date with Earl this November.

• Calgary always seems to have a date with Earl and Earl leaves at the end of the evening with a different girl.

• greenenvy? // May 10, 2018 at 9:30 pm //

Too busy his restaurants running is Earl.

15. For a guy aspiring to be a GM he is sure doing things that would question his commitment.

16. Edward Leslie // May 10, 2018 at 3:24 pm //

Mr. Red: Before Calgary can get to that “date with Earl”, they better find a starting running back, a backup quarterback, two outside linebackers, a defensive back, a Fullback AND more O-line depth.
    If Mr Hufnagel doesn’t do that, they might have a “date with their favourire sports bar” WATCHING the Eskimos playing in Lord Grey’s shindig!

• Calgary has answers for all these. Don’t forget Calgary’s ability to find great players like no other team can

• Import RBs are a dime a dozen, my friend. Second easiest position to fill in the CFL. There’s just so, so, many quality backs graduating from the NCAA every single year. NFL can’t accommodate them all, so there’s plenty of quality to choose from for the CFL.

Calgary is fortunate that they don’t need to force a NI into being the RB. They’ve got enough NIs at other positions to fill the ratio.

• TheLastArgoFan // May 10, 2018 at 5:17 pm //

What is an “NI”?
        Oh, is it that outdated term for “Canadian” or “National”?

• I have the same disdain for the nonsensical change from NI/Import to National/International as I do for asinine decisions to change from the CIS to USports…or from Committeeman to Committeeperson.

It’s a ridiculous waste of time and effort. WTF was the purpose of changing the terms?

• greenenvy? // May 10, 2018 at 9:33 pm //

Oh sure, 51. I’m sure you’re all upset about “peoplekind” as well. I’m still getting trashed from Bomber fans in Peopletoba.

17. I think Stubler’s health problems in the past didn’t help his coaching. Now that he’s feeling better he should be a more effective coach

18. dale van allen // May 10, 2018 at 3:53 pm //

Not only did the man choose family over a game, but he had the decency to admit he chose his words badly in the interview. We could use a few more individuals like this in sports and elsewhere. Good luck to him! Go Als!

19. Horsepowered // May 10, 2018 at 3:58 pm //

Edward you only got one thing correct we need to find out who our starting RB will be…i never heard of either of the williams until last season and both those boys can run.

Outside backers of maleki harris jameer thurman or dwayne norman, 3 studs and camp is not even open.
    Db….levels, davis, thibault berger. Nvm the other 6 we just annouced will be at camp on a secondary that only is missing 1 returnee…
    Fb we are stacked at canadian depth with monsters that make up a scary special teams cover unit.
    O line depth…did you not pay attention to the draft?
    Any other thoughts that are not formulated based on reading headlines alone. Do some homework your ignorance is disappointing.

20. bigplay // May 10, 2018 at 4:08 pm //

WOW what a classless piece of s#*t (people fumbled away my championships) last time I checked there was no “I in TEAM” and this guy was a Coach well I am sure he just lost a lot of respect with that comment.

• Still can’t believe he’d be so dumb to make such a statement.

Notice how it was “our” championship or “the” championship – – the guy considered it “MY” championship.

Really shows where his priorities are at.

21. Bring back our Als // May 10, 2018 at 4:39 pm //

Lack of planning on someone’s part
    Why take on a new DC job and then quit 6 months later two weeks before the season starts more to this story film @ 11

22. Kahlil Carter // May 10, 2018 at 5:39 pm //

People make mistakes. People fumble, people misspeak, people lose sight of goals. My championship opportunities is what I meant. Kamar Jorden is a great player and I’ve spoken to him post Grey Cup. Bo Levi is one of the best in the business and desite reports is tough enough to rebound from adversity. I am too. Calgary was a tough job to leave, but I did. Montreal is a great opportunity. Im glad they signed off on my positional change early enough to allow the coaches to continue the work towards a great season. Despite any negativity that is spread on hear, I am accountable for the mistakes that Ive made and that is who I am. Would lying make more sense? Not for me or my family. Ask my daughter if having more time with her father is a mistake. God bless all of you and continue to support the CFL and the ALS.

• True green // May 10, 2018 at 11:56 pm //

Kahlil, I respect your decision to put family ahead of football. The right decisions are often the hardest to make but usually bring a sense of contentment for doing the right thing. Listen to your faith and you’ll know what’s right for you, but it sounds like you already know that.

I also appreciate your correction on the use of the word fumble as it sounded like you were throwing your team under the bus but I don’t believe that was your intent.

I also like that you’re using your actual name. The rest of us use an anonymous name which makes it easy to say whatever is on our minds without accountability. Maybe we should all change that and the conversations here would look a whole lot different.

23. Kahlil Carter // May 10, 2018 at 5:40 pm //

On here

24. Kahlil Carter // May 10, 2018 at 5:43 pm //

See, I made a mistake and misspelled a word. Then corrected the mistake. #accountablility

• Tough decision I’m sure, wish you well in the future!

• greenenvy? // May 10, 2018 at 9:38 pm //

Let it go. As soon as the next Rider item comes up it will all be forgotten. It’s a personal decision. Period. Full stop. Whatever the reason behind it, you’re living it, no one else. That’s all that matters. Sometimes the less said the better. Good luck.

25. Regardless of how Kahlil explains it he has his ducks in the proper order – FAITH FAMILY FOOTBALL/OCCUPATION. Any MAN in the football business or any other occupation who does not have the same order of things will pay the price for it in some manner.

26. Your story isn’t adding up, my friend.

Dickenson’s statement about letting you go in Calgary was that “I felt it was in the best interests of the team to go in a different direction with that position on our staff.”

If you told the Stamps braintrust that you’d prefer to be let out of the remaining months on your contract to spend more time with family as you claim, why wouldn’t Dickenson just say that instead of what he did? Or at least use the standard euphemism of “pursuing other opportunities”.

Your story is also making you sound very indecisive – – another poor quality for someone with aspirations in management.

November 30 you “step down” as DB coach to spend more time with family. But January 3 you decide to forget about the family and decide to take a DC job. Then May 10 you change your mind and “transfer” from DC to scout to spend more time with family.

Hopefully you’ve got a keen eye for talent – – specifically at the QB position – – because Montreal is in desperate need of a total rebuild. Recycling guys like Al Cash from the scrap heap doesn’t exactly inspire much optimism for the future. Or the present.

27. Area51. Nothing better to do eh? You’re a complete tool sans family or a g/f I’m sure. Grow up.

28. Wincher // May 11, 2018 at 1:18 am //

Simply put.

No comment.

29. Richard // May 11, 2018 at 11:10 am //

Respect bro!

30. Edward Leslie // May 12, 2018 at 4:52 am //

Jim, family might come before football, but families also need MONEY to survive on. So, if your profession is football, you are taking care of your family by coaching football, not by pushing the kids on the swing or dragging them to see the latest crappy Disney/ Pixar movie.
    I always feel nauseated to here “Faith comes first “ too. Really? An invisible deity who lives in the clouds that there is no proof even exists… ranks agead of your own family??? Religious fansticism gone wild IMO.

31. Kahlil Carter // May 12, 2018 at 12:37 pm //

Mr. Leslie, faith is believing without seeing or knowing. My family is good. Money can’t be the single motivator for everything but we’re good there too. Thanks for caring so much, but if leaving the game is okay for Durant, Chamblin, Buckley, or any other sports professional, its okay for me too. My conscience is clear and my future bright. I l retired as a player on my own terms, I left Calgary for my own reasons, and I am stepping down from Coordinator for a reason bigger than myself. Case closed. At the end of the day football isnt the only thing Im good at…..just ask my family!

32. Edward Leslie // May 12, 2018 at 1:49 pm //

Okay Kahlil. Maybe some of my comments were a little off base. You do seem like a classy guy.
    Good luck to you with your scouting position with the Alouettes and all the best to your family.

33. Big Papa // May 12, 2018 at 2:16 pm //

Interesting state of affairs…

34. Big Papa // May 12, 2018 at 2:26 pm //

Theres always three sides to every story. In this case its what the Als said, what KC said, and then theres the truth. Whatever the reason for the Als making a change is not important to me. I’m a sports fan, not a fan of someone elses personal business. KC, you don’t owe anyone an explanation. I just hope you’re at peace man… For whatever reason, I don’t sense that.