Day three of practice and, this being the Ticats, there is plenty of news to report. The highlights:
• the team has released DB/LB Will Hill, who started every game this season at either strong-side linebacker or safety (except for the one where he was suspended for gabbing an official.) He was second on the team in tackles with 25.
Given his performance level and the fact that he started last week, the release comes as something of a surprise. That said, he had also taken a number of undisciplined penalties – beyond grabbing the official – and had left the team twice to deal with family issues.
• with Hill gone, Canadian Courtney Stephen is back as the starting safety after being relegated to a back up role last week.
• looks like halfback Emanuel Davis will make his first start of the season after missing the first six games with a lower body injury.
• Canadian defensive tackle Ted Laurent sat out Thursday’s practice but word is he is expected to play on Saturday against the Bombers. Fellow national Mike Atkinson hasn’t practiced all week, however. It’s possible that Evan Gill, who has missed all of this season due to injury will make his debut in a reserve role.
• Tony Washington will get the start at right tackle after being signed this week. By my count, he’ll be the fourth starting right tackle the Ticats have used in the first seven games of the season.
• the Ticats have added international free agent defensive tackle Nikita Whitlock to the practice roster. Whitlock, 26, spent the last three seasons with the New York Giants. In 2015, he was named the Giants’ starting fullback and suited up in 14 games at both fullback and defensive tackle, registering six tackles and one quarterback sack.
• the Ticats have added defensive back Demond Washington to the active roster from the six game injured list but he is not expected to play Saturday.
Latest posts by Drew Edwards (see all)
- Randy Ambrosie brings his chatty road show to Hamilton - February 22, 2018
- Why Orlondo Steinauer is returning to the Ticats (we think) - February 22, 2018
- Alouettes want to host the Grey Cup but where will they play it? - February 22, 2018