Marc-Antoine Dequoy has officially been named one of the top 16 players that will comprise the 2026 Men’s Senior National Flag Football Team, it was announced on Thursday.
The native of Île Bizard, Que. recently retired from the Canadian Football League at the age of 31, capping a productive career with the Montreal Alouettes.
The six-foot-one, 195-pound defender was originally selected by Als in the second round of the 2020 CFL Draft. After an NFL stint with the Green Bay Packers, he spent his entire CFL career with his hometown team, registering 162 defensive tackles, 21 special teams tackles, 12 interceptions, five forced fumbles, three sacks, and three defensive touchdowns.
Dequoy was twice named an All-CFL at safety and helped Montreal win the Grey Cup in 2023.
Team Canada’s 16-man roster was chosen following a selection camp that was held at Princess Auto Stadium in Winnipeg earlier this month.
“Excited for our second year with the national men’s program, we believe we are faster stronger and more athletic as a team than last year,” said head coach Paul LaPolice in a statement.
“We believe we have some of the best flag football players in the world and we are excited about how well they have continued to grow together and learn how to play the game of flag football at the highest levels. We expect to be competing for a medal in the world championships this season and we will diligently continue to work to achieve that goal this year.”
All 16 players will travel to Chula Vista for training camp in June. From there, the final roster that will represent Canada internationally will be announced ahead of the 2026 IFAF Flag Football World Championships, which are being held in Düsseldorf, Germany in August. This tournament will serve as the first opportunity for Canada to secure qualification toward flag football at the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.
“This top 16 reflects the standard we’re driving in Canada’s men’s flag football pathway,” said Football Canada director of high performance, coaching, and athlete development Warren Craney.
“Under Coach LaPolice’s attention to detail, our selection process is built around the pieces that decide games at a professional level, efficiency on offence, limiting explosive plays on defence, winning in critical situations, and finishing possessions in the end zone.
“These athletes consistently executed the details that translates to success. As we build toward Düsseldorf, our focus is razor sharp on the process, beginning with our first June training camp in Chula Vista in June.”
Other newcomers to the team with previous CFL experience include Nick Statz, who made 43 tackles and three interceptions with the Calgary Stampeders, Daniel Petermann, who caught 42 passes for 425 yards and four touchdowns with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Ottawa Redblacks, and B.C. Lions, and Daniel Vandervoort, who caught 12 passes for 154 yards and three touchdowns with the Lions and Edmonton Elks.
The full roster can be found below.
REC Domenic Horvath | Winnipeg, Man.
DB Guillaume Beland | Montreal, Que.
REC James Drysdale | Montreal, Que.
RB Émile Chênevert | Quebec City, Que.
RB Pascal Foccroulle-Ménard | Gatineau, Que.
2Q Dimitrios Sinodinos | Montreal, Que.
REC Antony Auclair | Quebec City, Que.
DB Nick Statz | Calgary, Alta.
REC François Rocheleau | Montreal, Que.
REC Phillipe Pharand | Montreal, Que.
QB Michael O’Connor | Coquitlam, B.C.
RB Anthony Brisebois | Montreal, Que.
DB Maxym Lavallée | Quebec City, Que.
REC Daniel Petermann | Stoney Creek, Ont.
DB Marc-Antoine Dequoy | Montreal, Que.
REC Daniel Vandervoort | Barrie, Ont.