Jason Maas loses his damn mind, loses wrestling match with Gatorade jug

Jason Maas has flipped out again.

The Edmonton Eskimos head coach threw a temper tantrum on the sidelines during the first half of his team’s game against the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Thursday, attempting to body slam an innocent Gatorade bucket but actually only managing to sort of shove it to the ground. There appeared to be some sort of headset snafu as well.

The Eskimos were winning at the time.

This is hardly Maas’ first mid-game meltdown. There was the time he got mad and smashed his headset to smithereens. Or the time he screamed at his assistant coach on the sidelines. And several other examples of amusing histrionics, swearing and generally emotional behaviour.

While not everybody can be as cyborg-like as Marc Trestman, Maas is taking some heat from the Twitterati for his behaviour.

They say anger gives the devil opportunity but in this case, it appears to have inspired a pretty good idea.

101 Comments on Jason Maas loses his damn mind, loses wrestling match with Gatorade jug

1. What an asswipe

• Clown of the CFL for sure. Given Jones’ comments and behavior, that’s saying A LOT.

2. BlueBomberChris // August 2, 2018 at 11:56 pm //

When you find out there’s no orange slices in the locker room at halftime…

3. Wa…wa…what a baby…a weak baby

4. Riding the Horse // August 3, 2018 at 12:04 am //

This guys needs some anger management training

5. Mossy is going to have to time his tirades so they’re later in the game when the Gatorade cooler is almost empty. Mosssy 0, cooler1.

6. Evil Empire // August 3, 2018 at 1:23 am //

The man has AMAZING passion. As an Esk fan. I’d prefer him keeping his emotions in control on the sidelines. No matter if there is a bad call, or whatever.

Come on Maas, check yourself just a little more.

Oh, BTW…

The Eskimos won. Break headsets, beat up defenseless GatorAid coolers, kick all the freaking garbage cans you want, baby.

At least he doesn’t have to cheat to win.

3-8 incoming.

Deal with it.

• No, but when you have the command centre working for you, why would you have to cheat. Conclusive evidence to overturn a call? Where was the conclusive evidence? Even when Duane Forde drew a straight line on the closest evidence possible, the edge of the cone of the ball was directly adjacent to the plane of the goal line.

I give the Eskimos credit for the victory, but it was anybody’s game. Hopefully, we can return the favour in Regina. I guarantee, it will be a tough game for both teams. And that’s calling a spade, a spade.

• Impalast // August 3, 2018 at 9:05 am //

Grasping at straws again eh garbagerider? Didn’t your mom tell you to mow the lawn after the game, that way there is something left to grab, first you call the Eskimos cheats and afterwards give them credit for the victory. Weyburn awaits you !!

• Speaking of Weyburn, I don’t know if you heard the distressing news that (Dumb) Dave was admitted. The poor guy was so mixed up he requested a photo of Zach Collaros by his bedside. What perhaps is even more distressing to eskimo fans is that he changed jersey colours to a more conventional and appealing look with green and white. I guess we’ll have to add another fan into Rider Nation now that (Dumb) Dave has changed his colours.

• I’m willing to agree that it wasn’t really conclusive evidence. I’m not willing to agree that it’s the command centre’s fault that the Riders had two chances from the one yard line and couldn’t get anything more than a borderline touchdown. Bad calls only get you when you put yourself in that position.

• Green Apples // August 3, 2018 at 2:09 am //

You’re a total goof. So is Maas.

• Puck Hog // August 3, 2018 at 2:16 am //

I hope Mossy keeps his “amazing passion” alive and well, too, Orville Umpire. When he’s so manic-depressive, it is no wonder why he makes bonehead calls last in the game. His inability to maintain his cool has cost the team, at the very least, a trip to the Grey Cup. So ya, keep being yourself, Mossy,

• Puck Hog // August 3, 2018 at 2:17 am //

*should be “late in the game”.

• Agree, Puck Hog. Maas looks like a fool on the sideline when he lose’s it. Hopefully, someday, he might grow up and act like a real head coach.

• Tiger man // August 3, 2018 at 7:40 am //

I would be ashamed to bring my children to a game featuring this team…with an alleged adult acting in such a disgusting manner…

If not the team…then the league should step in and do something about such a poor display in front of families…

Please…it’s only a game….

• Riders4Last // August 3, 2018 at 10:57 am //

Obviously you didn’t see jones lose his mind briefly last game on national tv but that’s ok right because he is the sliders coach ,I admit the Maas has a temper but he sure knows how to win unlike coach Jones in sliderville at least Maas knows how to fill out his roster card properly .

• Tiger man // August 3, 2018 at 7:28 am //

No..he has AMAZING immaturity….

7. mr62cats // August 3, 2018 at 1:23 am //

My thought after watching Maas losing it with the water cooler was that he has a serious anger problem. He needs help.

• Evil Empire // August 3, 2018 at 1:36 am //

@mr62cats.

The dude has something like the 2nd highest Wunderlic score, EVER. He’s obviously very smart. He played with his heart on his sleeve. He coaches the same way. I’d like to see him reel it in just a little. But, his players will play for him.

Would you rather have Maas as your coach. Or, either of the Jones boys ? You may as well ask if you’d rather have Reilly as your QB, as opposed to Masoli, or Collaros ? Maas, and Reilly are successful (5-2). While those two Jones clowns are a combined 5-8.

Come at me, bro.

• mr62cats // August 3, 2018 at 1:40 am //

evil: I wonder what Maas would have done if one of his players lost it like he did? There is no justification for a Head Coach acting like that….so stop trying to justify it.

• Good call, mr62cats. I don’t go for excuses, either.

• Evil Empire // August 3, 2018 at 10:20 am //

I didn’t justify it. I said I thought he needs to reel it in. Did you miss that part of my post ?

But, if you ask me who I want for a coach. And, I could trade with any of the other 8 teams. It’s Jason Maas. If you say different, you’re lying.

Quit crying you freaking babies.

Has the league fined him for anything like that ? Well, no they haven’t. The reason being it’s not against the rules to break equipment that belongs to you, and is not on the field.

SK lost.

Just shut up.

• Evil Empire // August 3, 2018 at 10:21 am //

P.S.

Except Cgy. They would not choose Maas over Dickenson.

• There is no rule about breaking equipment unless you lied about your mike not working.

• Dickinson. There’s a reason the Stamps are undefeated, and have been so damn good the last few years, and I’m really worried when my Lions play them this evening.

• The Esks win despite Maas, which is a tip of the hat to Sunderland, and to Reilly.

“Come at me bro.”
            “Quit crying you freaking babies.”
            “Just shut up.”

I’ll say this for Maas, at least he doesn’t fight water coolers anonymously on the Internet.

• Tiger man // August 3, 2018 at 7:32 am //

His emotional intelligence must be through the floor.

If you ARE that smart then you should be able to manage things like frustration anger successfully…which he can’t…

EE…you must be Maas’ enabler…

• Puck Hog // August 3, 2018 at 9:23 am //

Orville Umpire, Mossy is probably good at tiddly winks, too, but that has nothing to do with his sideline demeanour. He’s a fool.

• For the love of God EE….”come at me bro” ?….are you friggen serious ??

8. Wayne Kenov // August 3, 2018 at 1:24 am //

I was hoping the 3rd down incompletion that went upstairs would somehow hold just to see what Maas would do.

9. MR. Green // August 3, 2018 at 1:33 am //

Eskimos got the Riders lucky. Worse team won. Schmos have no change in October

• Riders4Last // August 3, 2018 at 11:02 am //

What are you talking about the REAL team won and your lowly sliders will be lucky to make the playoffs ,at least your sliders can’t lose next week

10. Well the Riders lost but seeing Maas flip out is always funny.

Otherwise good game. The Riders very easily could have won.

11. Biggest defensive play of the game was the goal line stand. Sliders got owned, love it.

12. It’s called passion. How many of his critics have ever coached a football game at any level?

13. His players love him. If you’ve never been around the game, maybe you don’t get it. His players know he is all in. And he actually is a classy guy. He was classy as a QB and he is a classy coach. Dude wears his heart on his sleeve.

• Classy? His temper-tantrums? You must live in Edmonton. (PS: If he wants to wear something, might I suggest a calculator?)

• Tiger man // August 3, 2018 at 7:36 am //

“Dude wears his heart on his sleeve.”

Along with Gatorade and headphone parts….really classy for an organization to display such childish behaviour on national TV

14. oceanvista // August 3, 2018 at 4:41 am //

I honestly think there is something wrong with Maas. He may be a brilliant football tactician, I won’t take that away from him. Strong motivator? Possibly. But anyone who is that consistently off-the-charts volatile needs some anger management therapy. There is some faulty wiring in his brain circuitry. No human should be completely melting down all the time over silly little things that aren’t remotely life or death.

• A very good point. He’s got a serious anger-issue. Edmonton should let him go and get an adult to coach.

• Actually, I believe it’s called short-circuit where everything breaks down (deer in headlights) and then darkness hits. Surprisingly, his hat never gets slammed to the ground to reveal his radiant head. I wonder if Jack Nicholson still works in that field. Might help.

15. Noodles Romanoff // August 3, 2018 at 7:05 am //

Hey Jason!!

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

16. A very good point. He’s got a serious anger-issue. Edmonton should let him go and get an adult to coach.

• When you mentioned the word adult, you forget the word “responsible”. Just to mention, he wasn’t “responsible” for the western final loss in Calgary.

17. Brad- you ever coach or been around the game at any level? Life and death sitaution?- it’s called his job. Critics can complain about temper outbursts and 3Down can cover Maas and him losing his cool but the truth is he is a good young coach. He isn’t coaching ten year olds. These are pros and his team respects him which is what matters…. not the collective opinion of the common heard.

• Evil Empire // August 3, 2018 at 8:52 am //

@Big Gus.

Feel free to directly superimpose on your brain. The meme from Jurassic Park where Jeff Goldblum says.

Well, there it is.

Good post.

18. Evil Empire // August 3, 2018 at 8:46 am //

@ the author.

Who says that freaking Gatorade bucket was innocent ?

19. Game management would be my criticism of Maas. Playoffs 2017- he made a bad decision. This season, so far, he seems to be improving in this area. Many young coaches struggle at times, especially if they are play callers. LaPolice struggled but is a great OC. O’Shea struggled early on and nearly lost his job and now I would say he is as good as any HC. Same with Campbell in Ottawa.

20. Solara2000 // August 3, 2018 at 9:42 am //

This is no longer a JM story as it is a story of the organization failing to do its duty. Show me a team that would continue to tolerate this infantile behaviour.by a player or another employee.

21. Lol,, the jealousy on this site is amazing. A passionate coach as he was a player,, let er rip JM we got your back coach.

• riderontheisland // August 3, 2018 at 2:02 pm //

Well there will be lots of room back there because I see most EE fans turning their heads and pretending they don’t see a thing. Ya I’d be proud of that clown.

22. Ridersrule // August 3, 2018 at 10:55 am //

This is going to an interesting off season when Riley leaves the Eskimos because of Maas . Rogan will be in tears when Riley becomes a rider

• Riders4Last // August 3, 2018 at 11:13 am //

Your sliders can only dream about having a true #1 QB like Reilly he would never stoop that low to come to sliderville and why would he want to play for a perennial bottom feeder like the sliders with no chance at a cup?whats funny is you sliders fans said the same thing about Franklin going to sliderville how did that work out for you.

• Ridersrule // August 3, 2018 at 12:10 pm //

Could you use the slider term a few more times you didn’t really appear stupid enough . Darwin could use you as a case study than man did evolve from the apes

• The kid clearly has a thing for those tiny burgers. I’m assuming it’s because they are the only things he can hold in his tiny little hands.

• Clay Connor // August 3, 2018 at 2:58 pm //

If Reilly goes anywhere,it will be back to B.C.

• secretly you wish the Riders were the Eskimos don’t you,

23. For everyone who thinks Jason Maas should be fired… There is only one coach in the league that has won more games than him in the 3 years that he has been coaching. Dave Dickenson (who tends to get pretty fired up himself).

Jason isn’t going anywhere, so try not to be jealous.

24. Failed quarterback and failed coach. He. Is an embarrassment to the league. I wonder if the commish will have a word with him

25. Failed quarterback lol,, do you have any idea what your talking about.
    Grey Cup champion (2003, 2005, 2012)
    CFL West All-Star – 2001
    Honours – Eskimos’ Most Outstanding Player (2001, 2004)

26. Ridersfan // August 3, 2018 at 11:43 am //

Jason Mass.. a piece of shit crybaby who has horrible temper tantrums on the field and you wonder why the Esks are the most penalized team in the league and are very undisciplined and why having a stupid nutjob crybaby as a head coach will hurt his team down the road! MARK MY WORDS! The players follow their head coach and his actions on the field and his nutjob temper tantrums and these actions will get em in the end! You want a Head Coach who under pressure will have a cool head and wont lose his cool.. Yeah Chris Jones gets mad and swears but he doesn’t go off on tangents and smash Gatorade jugs like an immature crybaby who doesn’t get his bloody way! Mass has to learn to keep his cool because somewhere down the line this crybaby spoiled tantrum act will cost his team (be it himself or one of his players with a COSTLY PENALTY!!) and it could come at the worst time possible! -just a warning!!.

27. antoine lussier // August 3, 2018 at 12:45 pm //

that is what happens when you eat too much Alberta beef–MAD COW SYNDROME–the Cowtown coach verbalizes the symptoms by his constant whining–interesting that only the 2 coaches from Alberta show the symptoms of this affliction . time to bbq– angus burger anyone?

28. Biggest jackass in sports. (worse than Tortorella) He needs anger management courses. Refs need to pay attention and penalize him for his garbage antics, better yet toss him out of the game. I can only imagine what he would have done if after the review on the “no catch” late in the 4th qtr if they called it a catch. He’s the reason I always hope the Eskimos lose. Does he crap on his kids like that if they spill milk. Total douche bag!!

29. riderontheisland // August 3, 2018 at 1:58 pm //

I actually used to like this guy as a player, but now I see more of his colors and he is just complete clown on the sidelines. He looks stupid enough blowing his top, but when he does stuff like this he is just a clown.

30. Classic meltdown. Reminded me of Clark Griswold when he didn’t get his Christmas bonus.
    (Christmas Vacation)

• Only difference is Clark had more common sense. Just don’t remind eskimo fans (especially Dumb Dave) about last year’s western final in Calgary.

• They have a lava lamp in his room at Souris Valley to calm him when he thinks of that. He then goes from dumb – to numb dave.

• Was it one his mother brought down? Speaking of extra items, wonder if he got his green and white jersey yet? I understand he only has clinic clothes at this time. Should be in the mail soon.

31. Scottsask // August 3, 2018 at 2:34 pm //

I love that he’s passionate and competitive, but this crap just makes him look like an asshole.

32. What planet do some of these trolls come from? Do people really think football coaches don’t lose their tempers and shout and even aware? Go to a damn practice and listen to unit coaches? For every stoic quiet gentleman like Tony Dungy and Marc Trestman, there are 25 fired up, boisterous tellers like Maas and Ditka. I guarantee Jason’s players have just as much or more respect for him as any other coach in the league, maybe behind only O’Shea in Winnipeg. That guy is turning into a very special HC.

• I agree, BigGus. And you are one of the few gentlemen on this site. I am humble with that statement. Unfortunately, there are a lot on this site who love to rip Rider fans at every opportunity and venture on to any story as evidenced by the most recent stories, while bragging up their teams. Obviously, you can see that. It’s a two-way street for lots of us. I wish this site would get cleaned up, but unfortunately, the trolls do exist. And I do honestly appreciate what you are saying.

• And I would like to compliment you for your passion and understanding of the game as a knowledgeable CFL fan. Take care.

• Garbagerider89 just happens to be a garbage human being as well, how can you make the above comment after what you’ve been posting on this thread, this is what makes me think that you are the schizophrenic that should be treated as such. Never mind Weyburn, you should discarded to a snake infested island. Eskimos won, get a life asshole

• Poor, Dumb Dave. Never gets any recognition. Just because I credit Big Gus, Dumb Dave goes into an uproar in his padded four-wall cell. Hey, life can’t be too bad in Weyburn. At least you have Zach Collaros with you.

• Whoops – looks like you touched a nerve there 89. Guess his jersey didn’t make it after all.

• Here I thought all was well. Boy, was I mistaken. I bet the green and white jersey arrived but wasn’t signed by his favourite football player.

33. And the weird love in continues between these two because Yup doesn’t know how to say nope, and geyrider thinks that he can become pregnant because he lives in geyburn saskatchewant

• You girls are up way past curfew – If the staff catch you the trip to the petting zoo is off for sure

• Now I’m beginning to understand more,(Dumb) Dave, why you received a room before anyone else. Just think of yourself as a very special person who has a very unique quality associated with fascination.

34. I’m betting the jersey arrived but the sleeves weren’t long enough to tie behind his back!

• Well, considering Dave’s special needs associated with his fascination, I’m beginning to think Dave will require a jersey few people ever get.

35. Yup, I bet Dave has gone to bed now. I understand he has a very strong medication. Anyways, take care, good friend. It’s been a very busy and rather taxing day (with Dave).

36. The Eskimos have probably asked him to bring his own headset. No more Fortnite for Maas.

37. Love the passion Jason! Let the whiners whine and never change for someone else.

38. gocatsgo // August 5, 2018 at 4:15 pm //

They should bring back the Planters peanuts commercial… Jason singing , ” some days you just feel like a nut ” as he flips out on the sideline ….

39. Colourmegreen // August 5, 2018 at 7:53 pm //

He’s an embarrassment to the league. Big cry baby. His wife must go thru hell.
    Watching the game it’s halarious how load the crowd was cheering for the Riders. So many rider fans. You never see a visiting team except the Riders have this amount of support.
    Why does the stadium announcer have to tell the Edmonton fans when to cheer?

40. Colourmegreen // August 5, 2018 at 8:44 pm //

Rielley time to change Mass diaper lol. He will be ducking his thumb soon.
    Get some class and act like a coach.

41. This guy needs a team of people possibly doing some form of study on him at the university level in Sweden with his issues

42. This guy needs a team of people possibly doing some form of study on him at the university level in Sweden with hi