Toronto Argonauts’ quarterback Chad Kelly has been named the CFL’s top performer of the month by Pro Football Focus (PFF).
The second-year passer earned a grade of 92.2 after completing 68.1 percent of his passes for 727 yards and four touchdowns. He completed six passes of 30-plus yards, including a 45-yard score of DaVaris Daniels in Week 19. The Argos went 4-0 during October to finish the season 16-2, tying the league record for regular season wins.
The honourable mentions were B.C. Lions’ quarterback Vernon Adams Jr. and Toronto Argonauts’ quarterback Cameron Dukes.
Toronto Argonauts’ defensive back Mason Pierce was the highest-graded defensive player for the month of October with a score of 90.7. The rookie started three games at boundary halfback and one game at field-side halfback, recording 13 tackles, one forced fumble, one sack, one interception, and one touchdown over 222 snaps.
The honourable mentions were Montreal Alouettes’ defensive lineman Mustafa Johnson and Toronto Argonauts’ defensive lineman Brandon Barlow.
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers had the highest-graded offensive line of the month with a group score of 80.7. Liam Dobson (72.0) and Tui Eli (70.4) were the highest-graded individuals, followed by left tackle Stanley Bryant (66.6).
The CFL partnered with PFF for the first time ahead of the 2023 season. The American company uses game footage to review every player on the field and grades their individual performances on a scale from zero to 100.
The top-graded players from each position were as follows for the month of October.
- QB | Chad Kelly | Toronto Argonauts | 92.2
- RB | Brady Oliveira | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 82.4
- REC | Kenny Lawler | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 78.9
- OL | Brett Boyko | Edmonton Elks | 73.7
- DL | Mustafa Johnson | Montreal Alouettes | 86.9
- LB | Cameron Judge | Calgary Stampeders | 78.6
- DB | Mason Pierce | Toronto Argonauts | 90.7
- K/P | Sean Whyte | B.C. Lions | 92.1
- ST | Adarius Taylor | Calgary Stampeders | 90.8