Calgary Stampeders’ defensive lineman Julian Howsare has been named the CFL’s top performer for Week 21 by Pro Football Focus (PFF).
Howsare received a grade of 91.4 for his performance in Calgary’s 36-13 loss to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He made four tackles, one sack, and one forced fumble over 40 defensive snaps in the game. This was the veteran edge rusher’s second honour roll selection of the campaign.
Winnipeg quarterback Dru Brown was named the league’s top offensive performer, earning a grade of 90.2. He completed 13-of-17 pass attempts for 278 yards and two touchdowns to help his team finish the season with a 14-4 record. He had three passes of 30-plus yards, including a 68-yard touchdown to Rasheed Bailey. This was Brown’s second honour roll selection this season.
Winnipeg’s unit was named the top offensive line of the week, earning a group grade of 82.3. Sixth man Tui Eli received the highest individual score at 80.1, followed by left guard Geoff Gray (79.8) and right tackle Jermarcus Hardrick (73.6).
The CFL partnered with PFF for the first time ahead of the 2023 season. The American company uses game footage to review every player on the field and grades their individual performances on a scale from zero to 100.
The league unveils the top-graded players from PFF each week. Offensive and defensive players must play a minimum of 25 snaps to be eligible and special teams players must play at least 10. Ties are broken by the number of snaps played.
The top-graded players from each position were as follows for Week 21.
- QB | Dru Brown | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 90.2
- RB | Dedrick Mills | Calgary Stampeders | 77.8
- REC | Rasheed Bailey | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 81.1
- OL | Asotui Eli | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 80.1
- DL | Julian Howsare | Calgary Stampeders | 91.4
- LB | Brian Cole | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 91.4
- DB | Mason Pierce | Toronto Argonauts | 91.0
- K/P | Sergio Castillo | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 85.6
- ST | Thomas Costigan | Toronto Argonauts | 91.3
The top ten graded offensive and defensive performances from the 2023 season thus far are as follows.
- 94.0 | Week 14 | QB | Zach Collaros | Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- 93.4 | Week 6 | QB | Chad Kelly | Toronto Argonauts
- 92.9 | Week 12 | DB | Marc-Antoine Dequoy | Montreal Alouettes
- 92.9 | Week 16 | QB | Dustin Crum | Ottawa Redblacks
- 92.9 | Week 9 | QB | Zach Collaros | Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- 92.5 | Week 3 | DB | Royce Metchie | Toronto Argonauts
- 91.9 | Week 16 | DL | Bryce Carter | Ottawa Redblacks
- 91.8 | Week 8 | DB | Kabion Ento | Montreal Alouettes
- 91.8 | Week 16 | DL | Christian Albright | Saskatchewan Roughriders
- 91.7 | Week 11 | QB | Tre Ford | Edmonton Elks