Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ quarterback Zach Collaros has reached new heights this season, receiving a grade of 94.0 from Pro Football Focus (PFF), the highest the organization has awarded so far in 2023.
The veteran passer completed 18-of-21 pass attempts for 319 yards and five touchdowns in his team’s 51-6 dismantling of the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the Banjo Bowl. Almost all of his production came in the first half before sitting out the entire fourth quarter with the game in hand. His five touchdown passes tied a career-high he set in 2016 as a member of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
Collaros had a perfect passer rating of 158.3 and completed three passes of 30-plus yards, including a 60-yard bomb to Kenny Lawler in the second quarter.
Toronto Argonauts’ defensive back Jamal Peters had the highest defensive grade of the week with a mark of 84.3. He recorded one defensive tackle, one interception, and one forced fumble in his team’s 39-10 win over the Montreal Alouettes. At 10-1, the Argos have a chance to secure first place in the East Division this week when they play the second half of a home-and-home against Montreal.
Winnipeg had the highest-graded offensive line of the week, earning a group grade of 88.8. Right guard Patrick Neufeld received the best individual grade at 63.5, followed by left tackle Stanley Bryant at 57.9 and centre Chris Kolankowski at 54.8. The Blue Bombers didn’t allow any sacks in their win, while running backs Brady Oliveira and Johnny Augustine combined for over 200 yards along the ground.
The CFL partnered with PFF for the first time ahead of the 2023 season. The American company uses game footage to review every player on the field and grades their individual performances on a scale from zero to 100.
The league unveils the top-graded players from PFF each week. Offensive and defensive players must play a minimum of 25 snaps to be eligible and special teams players must play at least 10. Ties are broken by the number of snaps played.
The top-graded players from each position were as follows for Week 14.
- QB | Zach Collaros | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 94.0
- RB | Brady Oliveira | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 88.3
- REC | Tim White | Hamilton Tiger-Cats | 85.8
- OL | Martez Ivey | Edmonton Elks | 77.0
- DL | Lorenzo Mauldin IV | Ottawa Redblacks | 81.0
- LB | Cameron Judge | Calgary Stampeders | 79.3
- DB | Jamal Peters | Toronto Argonauts | 84.3
- K/P | Cody Grace | Calgary Stampeders | 76.4
- ST | Tanner Green | Edmonton Elks | 90.5
The top ten graded offensive and defensive performances from the 2023 season thus far are as follows.
- 94.0 | Week 14 | QB | Zach Collaros | Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- 93.4 | Week 6 | QB | Chad Kelly | Toronto Argonauts
- 92.9 | Week 12 | DB | Marc-Antoine Dequoy | Montreal Alouettes
- 92.9 | Week 9 | QB | Zach Collaros | Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- 92.5 | Week 3 | DB | Royce Metchie | Toronto Argonauts
- 91.8 | Week 8 | DB | Kabion Ento | Montreal Alouettes
- 91.7 | Week 11 | QB | Tre Ford | Edmonton Elks
- 91.6 | Week 10 | REC | DaVaris Daniels | Toronto Argonauts
- 91.2 | Week 10 | REC | Keon Hatcher | B.C. Lions
- 90.8 | Week 2 | QB | Zach Collaros | Winnipeg Blue Bombers