Former CFL player and assistant coach Kahlil Carter has resigned from his position as head coach of the Cologne Centurions in the European League of Football.
Carter was hired in October and had already assembled the bulk of his roster, with the team’s third season scheduled to kick off on June 3. He is stepping back due to what the club called “differing opinions on the direction of the Centurions team.”
“We thank Kahlil Carter for the groundwork he has been able to lay over the past few months. We wish him success and all the best as he moves forward,” general manager David Drane said as part of a team statement.
“Many factors have led to my decision to resign. I wish the Centurions nothing but success in 2023,” Carter said in his own statement.
The 46-year-old served as the defensive backs coach for the Calgary Stampeders for three years (2015-2017) before becoming the defensive coordinator of the Montreal Alouettes. He resigned suddenly prior to training camp citing personal reasons and transitioned into a role in the team’s scouting department.
The Arkansas native was a versatile defensive back who played in the CFL, NFL, NFL Europe, and Arena Football League. He was a member of the Toronto Argonauts and Montreal Alouettes and played 35 games from 2005 to 2008, recording 75 tackles, 10 special teams tackles, 10 interceptions, and three defensive touchdowns.
The Centurions play in the European League of Football (ELF) and finished 3-9 this past season before parting ways with head coach Frank Roser. Offensive coordinator Christos Lambropoulos has been promoted to take over for Carter.