Alouettes suspend fullback Christophe Normand ‘until further notice’ due to child luring allegations

Photo courtesy: Montreal Alouettes

The Montreal Alouettes have indefinitely suspended fullback Christophe Normand following accusations that he attempted to lure a minor for sexual purposes.

In a statement Friday, team president Mario Cecchini said the Alouettes would have no further comment on the case.

“To respect all parties involved, we will wait for the end of the investigation,” he said. “As of now, Christophe is suspended until further notice.”

Normand was arrested on Thursday and pled not guilty to two summary charges that carry a minimum sentence of six months in prison.

The charges stem from incidents that allegedly occurred on August 9 in Bromont, Quebec in relation to a single victim. Normand is accused of communicating electronically with a person under the age of 16 for the purposes of facilitating an offence of a sexual nature against them.

When not playing football, Normand has previously been employed as a teacher. During the pandemic, he worked with autistic students at Waterloo Secondary School and has also taught at Marieville Secondary School in Montérégie.

Normand was released pending trial under a number of conditions, including the seizure of all his electronic devices. He is banned from accessing the internet and being in the presence of a minor without another adult present. He may not go to parks, daycare centres, or other places where he might communicate with the complainant.

The 30-year-old fullback has spent seven seasons in the CFL with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Edmonton Elks, and the Alouettes. He has dressed for all ten of Montreal’s games in 2022, recording one special teams tackle.