The B.C. Lions have signed explosive playmaker Lucky Whitehead to a two-year contract extension through the 2023 season.
The 2021 CFL all-star emerged as one of the league’s most impactful free agent signings last season, recording 60 receptions for 932 yards, fifth in the three-down league, and five total touchdowns in 12 games while leading the team with 1,212 combined yards. The five-foot-10, 177-pound speedster was eligible to become a free agent on February 8.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity to be back and to help this squad get to the next level,” Whitehead said in a statement. “We have some pieces already in place to contend year in and year out and I can’t wait to see what else this off-season brings.”The 29-year-old Whitehead’s special teams highlights included a 119-yard missed field goal return major in a win over Ottawa in Week 6 and a 79-yard punt return touchdown to help take down Edmonton in the regular season finale on November 19. Additional Lucky Whitehead accolades from 2021:
- CFL leader with 447 yards after the catch (YAC) with that number accounting for 48 percent of his overall total.
- 15.5 yards per reception was best among all Lions and second-highest CFL total behind Winnipeg’s Kenny Lawler.
- Recorded four games of 100 or more receiving yards.
- Lions’ team nominee for CFL Most Outstanding Player.
- Named a CFL top performer of the month for both September and November.
- Voted as both a CFL and West Division All-Star.