CFL indefinitely suspends Argos’ John Murphy following investigation into his physical and verbal altercation with fans after East Final

Photo courtesy: Toronto Argonauts

The CFL has taken some action after the 2021 East Final post-game incidents at BMO Field.

The league office issued a statement on Wednesday night:

The Canadian Football League has suspended indefinitely John Murphy, Toronto Argonaut Vice-President Player Personnel, following an investigation into his physical and verbal altercation with fans following last Sunday’s Eastern Final.

The league’s investigation into player altercations with fans following the game continues.


That new post-game video surfaced allegedly capturing an altercation between Murphy and a fan of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. The pair appear to be physically jostling at a stadium barricade while security tries to prevent the men from exchanging blows.

The altercation appears to have started after the Ticats fan witnessed the front office executive yelling at another fan who had crossed the barricade.

3DownNation requested comment on the video from the Argonauts and it came Wednesday night.

“MLSE received the CFL’s decision today regarding John Murphy’s role in the post-game incident following Sunday’s Eastern Final and the resulting indefinite suspension. We are in the process of conducting our own internal review into the incident, and the personnel involved, and will communicate the outcomes publicly once completed.”

The video involving Murphy is one of many that have been posted to social media after tensions boiled over following Hamilton’s victory, eliminating Toronto from the post-season.

A previous video that surfaced online Sunday allegedly shows members of the Argonauts at BMO Field face to face with a Ticats fan. The league has since issued the following statement:

“The Toronto Argonauts, in conjunction with MLSE security, the CFL league office and local police, are investigating a post-game incident involving team personnel and visiting fans. The club will issue a statement once the investigation is complete and any outcomes are determined.”