That is how long it will be between games for the University of Saskatchewan Huskies football team, who now have a target date for their return to action planned after Canada West announced the 2021 schedule Monday.
Head coach Scott Flory and the Huskies will play a six-game conference slate from September 25 to November 6. Followed by a post-season that will be capped off by the Vanier Cup in Laval, Quebec on December 4.
“With all the speculation and all the uncertainty over the last 16 months, to actually have something concrete and tangible that we can look at and plan for is really exciting,” said Flory.
Beginning with back-to-back games on the road against the Calgary Dinos (September 25) and UBC Thunderbirds (October 1), the Huskies first game back inside Griffiths Stadium is slated for October 16 when they welcome the Alberta Golden Bears.
“I know that our guys love football and they have been working so hard throughout to stay focused on the prospect of playing a game and I think there’s going to be a lot of emotions in that first home game,” said Flory.
“We start on the road and will be able to get some team bonding in, but to actually get back to action here in Saskatoon at Griffiths Stadium will be really special.”
The Huskies then host the Regina Rams the following week in a provincial rivalry showdown. The following week sees them take a trip to Winnipeg to play the Manitoba Bisons before a final home game on November 6 when the Dinos will come to town.
In 2021 a Huskie team that has made it to back-to-back Hardy Cup championships — including winning the program’s 19th Canada West title in 2018 — looks to return to the field facing an always competitive Canada West schedule.
2021 Huskie Football Schedule
- Saturday, Sept. 25: SSK @ CGY / 4:00 p.m. / McMahon Stadium
- Friday, Oct. 1: SSK @ UBC / 8:00 p.m. / Thunderbird Stadium
WEEK 3 – BYE
- Saturday, Oct. 16: ALB @ SSK / 2:00 p.m. / Griffiths Stadium
- Saturday, Oct. 23: REG @ SSK / 2:00 p.m. / Griffiths Stadium
- Saturday, Oct. 30: SSK @ MAN / 2:00 p.m. / Investors Group Field
- Saturday, Nov. 6: CGY @ SSK / 2:00 p.m. / Griffiths Stadium
HARDY CUP SEMIS
- Saturday, Nov. 13: No. 4 @ No. 1 / No. 3 @ No. 2
83RD HARDY CUP
- Saturday, Nov. 20: semifinal winners @ highest remaining seed