The CFL draft had surprises and it started at the top with the B.C. Lions trading for the first overall pick with the Calgary Stampeders.
Leos general manager Ed Hervey used it to select linebacker Jordan Williams. There were no other deals in the opening round, but certainly intrigue. Check out the full first round.
2020 CFL draft – first round
|1||BC||Jordan Williams||LB||ECU||Louisville, Ken.|
|2||Toronto||Dejon Brissett||REC||Virginia||Mississauga, Ont.|
|3||Calgary||Isaac Adeyemi-Berglund||DE||Southeastern Louisiana||Dartmouth, N.S.|
|6||Ottawa||Adam Auclair||DB||Laval||Quebec City|
|7||Saskatchewan||Mattland Riley||OL||Saskatchewan||Melfort, Sask.|
|8||Hamilton||Mason Bennett||DE||North Dakota||Winnipeg|
|9||Toronto||Theren Churchill||OL||Regina||Stettler, Alta.|
By the numbers
- Positional breakdown
- Offensive linemen: 4
- Defensive end: 2
- Linebacker: 1
- Receiver: 1
- Defensive end: 1
- Provincial breakdown
- Ontario: 2
- Quebec: 2
- Nova Scotia: 1
- Saskatchewan: 1
- Manitoba: 1
- Alberta: 1
- School breakdown
- NCAA: 5
- U SPORTS: 4
First round overview
- After acquiring the pick via trade, the Lions selected first overall for the fifth time in franchise history; the most recent occasion came in 1999 with defensive lineman Rob Meier.
- East Carolina’s Jordan Williams is the first linebacker to be selected first overall since Henoc Muamba in 2011. The selection marks the fifth time in CFL draft history that a linebacker has been taken No. 1. Williams is the first player in ECU history to be drafted by the CFL.
- For the sixth consecutive year, the first overall selection has come from the NCAA.
- 2019: Shane Richards
- 2018: Mark Chapman
- 2017: Faith Ekakitie
- 2016: Josiah St. John
- 2015: Alex Mateas
- The last U Sports player taken No. 1 was Laval’s Pierre Lavertu by Calgary in 2014.
- The 2020 CFL Draft marks the first time since 1999 that a CIS/U Sports player was not selected in the top-four.
- No. 5 overall pick, OL Coulter Woodmansey, is the highest University of Guelph player chosen since Rob Maver was selected fifth overall in 2010. Prior to that occasion, Mike O’Shea was drafted fourth overall in 1993.
- DB Adam Auclair is the 11th player from Laval to be drafted in the first round since 2005. Since that year, Laval ranks second in first round selections behind Calgary’s 14. Auclair represents the highest selection for a defensive back since Chris Ackie was taken fourth overall in 2015.
- OL Theren Churchill is the first Regina player to be selected in the first round since OL Brendon LaBatte was drafted sixth overall by Winnipeg in 2008.