The year is coming to a close, which means it’s time to look back at the top 3DownNation stories of 2019.
We had a great year, our first as an independent publication. We have a fresh look — you can check out our merchandise here — and are looking forward to getting bigger, bolder, and better in 2020.
As always, we thank our readers for helping us continue to grow. 3DownNation wouldn’t exist without you and we appreciate your support, feedback, and honesty.
Without further ado, here they are — the top 10 most-read stories of 2019.
1) Johnny Manziel fatigue has set in for some of our readers, but it’s clear that many still love reading about the embattled quarterback. This piece came courtesy of Justin Dunk and shed some light on why the former Heisman Trophy winner was banned from the CFL in February.
2) This article came out in the midst of intense Labour Day drama between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Mike O’Shea felt Craig Dickenson — a fellow special teams guru — had unfairly targeted long-snapper Chad Rempel, which resulted in the veteran suffering a concussion.
3) That’s right: two Manziel stories made our top-three. This time he’s here to sell you car insurance. The former Tiger-Cat and Alouette has yet to find work in professional football since this article was published in August.
4) Regina had the opportunity to host an NFL pre-season game between the Oakland Raiders and Green Bay Packers but turned it down at the Riders’ request. The game was eventually played at IG Field in Winnipeg, which became a debacle after the field was shortened to 80 yards following a complaint from Green Bay.
5) Gainer donned a new appearance this season and — as much as everyone loves Saskatchewan’s mascot — the makeover was a complete flop. The team made some changes to the rodent’s appearance following the backlash, which were well-received by Rider Nation.
6) Everyone loves an inside scoop and this one — courtesy of Justin Dunk — was juicy. The Alouettes eventually made the playoffs follow Kavis Reed’s firing, but the truth is that the league-owned team wanted him fired for months prior to his departure in July.
7) If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance that you like watching CFL football. Having a service for streaming games without the cost of cable was great news for cord-cutters everywhere.
8) The Walby burger made headlines across the country due to its unprecedented size, weight, and meatiness. Football and food often go hand-in-hand and this monstrosity — featuring six patties, six chicken tenders, six hot dogs, and six bacon strips — serves as the Mount Everest for any CFL food-lover.
9) Kavis Reed makes our list twice, this time with the announcement of his firing. Reed’s tenure in Montreal was checkered, but 3Down feels he deserves some credit for building a team that eventually hosted a playoff game in 2019.
10) Bo Levi Mitchell caused quite a stir when he said the Vikings didn’t want him to challenge Kirk Cousins for the team’s starting quarterback job. The two-time CFL Most Outstanding Player worked out for seven NFL teams last off-season before signing a four-year extension with the Stampeders.