The B.C. Lions have officially signed receiver Duron Carter to a one-year contract for the 2019 season.
“Players of Duron’s remarkable ability are what make our league special and he’s going to be a very big piece of our offence in 2019,” Lions general manager Ed Hervey said in a statement. “We had a lot of interest in him last year when he became available during the season and it’s great to finally get this deal done.”
Carter was released by the Saskatchewan Roughriders after seven games in 2018, a move that caught him by surprise. At that point, Carter said he might be done with football. Carter spoke with the Lions during the period he was free to sign anywhere, but he ended up signing with the Toronto Argonauts for the remainder of the season.
“I am looking forward to making a fresh start on the West Coast,” Carter said in a statement. “Ed and I had a number of conversations last year before I signed in Toronto which really helped me in my decision to ultimately join him in BC. The opportunity to play with Mike Reilly is obviously a big factor too. Players want to have fun playing this game and it’s going to be a lot of fun in BC this year.”
The 27-year-old deleted his Twitter account prior to inking his pact with the Argos, likely to try and appease then-head coach Marc Trestman. But the colourful, entertaining account was rebooted once the season ended (and Trestman was fired.)
— Duron Carter (@DC_CHILLIN_8) February 13, 2019
Carter suited up for 15 games in 2018 catching 18 balls for 230 yards and two touchdowns, by far the lowest single-season totals of his career. That followed Carter’s 2017 season which saw him put up career-highs in yards (1,043) and touchdowns (8) on the way to being named a CFL all-star.
Carter has played in 73 career CFL games making 276 catches for 4,150 yards with 27 touchdowns.
The Reilly-to-Carter connection will be highly entertaining.