Friend of accused Mylan Hicks shooter grilled by defence at murder trial

A friend of the man accused of killing a Calgary Stampeder player maintained Friday that the alleged shooter confessed to pulling the trigger shortly after shots rang out.

But in a lengthy cross-examination by Nelson Lugela’s defence lawyer, Darwin Concepcion acknowledged he was drunk on the night of the shooting and is still trying to piece together what happened.

Lugela is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Canadian Football League player Mylan Hicks at Marquee Beer Market on Sept. 25, 2016.

Concepcion testified he was drinking heavily with Lugela and another friend that night.

He said he was outside the bar at closing when he heard a gunshot.

“I heard a bang in my left ear. Everybody started running and everybody was panicking. My ears were ringing,” Concepcion told defence lawyer Alain Hepner.

“I just turned around and Nelson looks at me and said ‘let’s go’ or something. ‘We gotta go.’ So we all hopped in the vehicle.”

Concepcion said it wasn’t until they left the scene that he noticed Lugela was holding a gun in his hand and then said “I hit two shots. I don’t think he’s going to make it.”

But Hepner challenged Concepcion, pointing out the man never mentioned that Lugela admitted to shooting Hicks in his original interview with police three days after the shooting.

“You didn’t tell the detective this last phrase that you told us yesterday. Am I right?” asked Hepner.

“Yes,” Concepcion responded.

“That was three mornings after. What I’m suggesting to you is you only heard the phrase ‘I don’t think he’s going to make it.’ That’s all you heard. Was that true? Is that all you heard? Am I right?

“I was drunk,” replied Concepcion.

“Sure it was three mornings later, but I’m still trying to piece out the story.”

Lugela, 21 has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder. Hicks was a member of the Stampeder’s practice roster and court has already heard the team was out celebrating a win when the shooting happened.

The shooter and two other young men jumped into an SUV and sped away. Police arrested three people, including Lugela and Conception, about 45 minutes later when they returned to the scene.

Must Read