Johnny Football ‘too controversial’ for Dancing With the Stars’: report

J

While the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the CFL may be willing to accept Johnny Manziel, reality TV show Dancing With the Stars has apparently declared him “too controversial.”

According to a report on Blast.com – which has now been picked up by multiple other media outlets – Manziel was set to be a part of the new season of DWTS before producers (moon) walked back the decision. From the story:

According to our sources, Manziel and his team had been in talks with the show for several weeks about taking part in the show. We’re told producers had informally chosen Manziel and planned on moving forward with him.

But after further conversation, our sources say the show ultimately decided Manziel was “too controversial” and chose to exclude him from the cast.

Manziel’s legal and behavioural troubles are well-documented, though he’s recently acknowledged dealing with mental health and substance abuse issues while vowing to turn his life around. And DWTS apparently isn’t afraid of a little controversy: Blast says the DWTS line up, set to be announced Friday, is expected to include Tonya Harding who pled guilty to hindering the prosecution in the 1994 attack on fellow figure skater Nancy Kerrigan and recently acknowledged she knew about it beforehand.

While Manziel hasn’t addressed the DWTS story – his social media has been dead since Saturday – the timing of the show would have clashed with CFL mini-camps and the start of training camp (depending on how long he remained a contender.)

So, for now, Manziel’s only moves will come on the football field with his second Spring League game set for Thursday. Given what we’ve seen, that may be just as well…

About the author

3Down Staff
By 3Down Staff

3DownNation is a website dedicated to covering the CFL and Canadian football.




Recent Posts