CFLPA ‘disappointed’ in Supreme Court decision on Arland Bruce case

The Canadian Football League Players’ Association is not happy that the Supreme Court of Canada decided against hearing the Arland Bruce case.

We are disappointed by the decision of the Supreme Court of Canada to dismiss the case filed by Mr. Arland Bruce against the Canadian Football League and it’s member clubs. We have followed the proceedings closely and are disheartened that players who suffer from post-concussion related symptoms, sustained while working as professional football players in Canada, no longer have the option to pursue court litigation for their suffering. The safety of CFL players remains a priority for the Association. We expect that the Canadian Football League shares this priority and will immediately take action by working with our team to find solutions that address the widening gap in duty of care for players like Mr. Bruce as well as others.

The Supreme Court of Canada said Thursday it won’t hear Bruce’s concussion lawsuit against the CFL and former commissioner Mark Cohon. The decision came after two B.C. courts – the Supreme Court of British Columbia and British Columbia Court of Appeal – dismissed the suit, saying the Supreme Court previously ruled unionized employees must use labour arbitration and not the courts to resolve disputes that arise from their collective agreement.

The league, on the other hand, was pleased with the ruling.

“The CFL is very pleased with the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision,” the CFL said in a statement. “We hope that this decision brings finality to any proceedings in the courts with respect to concussion litigation against the CFL.”

That’s a clear loss for the CFLPA and win for the CFL.

-with files from CP

Must Read