Johnny Manziel’s ex-girlfriend say she is ‘lucky to have survived’

Colleen Crowley, the ex-girlfriend of quarterback Johnny Manziel, says she is  “lucky to have survived” the relationship.

Crowley, who spoke briefly to Winnipeg Free Press reporter Jeff Hamilton last month, has given an extensive interview to the New York Post about her relationship with Manziel.

After a domestic violence incident involving Crowley in January 2016, Manziel was charged with assault the following April. Crowley said in court documents that Manziel struck her so hard that she temporarily lost hearing in one ear and that he threatened to kill her. She describes the incident in more detail to the Post.

According to Crowley, she and some friends went to Manziel’s hotel room for an”after party” in Dallas just a day after breaking up with him. Crowley said things turned ugly when she went to leave at the end of the night. From the story:

According to Crowley’s written statement to Dallas police, Manziel “restrained” her and led her downstairs, where he forced her into his car. Then he drove to a bar where her car was parked and the two switched vehicles “against my will,” according to Crowley. As Manziel was backing out, she “jumped from the car.” He “grabbed me by my hair and threw me back into the car,” according to the statement, then “hit me with his open hand on my left ear.”

On the drive to her apartment, Manziel threatened to kill them both, Crowley said, and was laughing and crying simultaneously. “I think there was some mental breakdown because the way he was acting, it wasn’t anything like drugs or alcohol would affect a person,” she said. “This was more deep-rooted.”

Back at her apartment, the arguing continued until after 5 a.m. when Manziel discovered she had been trying to call her parents.

“Out of fear for my life, I pulled a knife out of my knife block and advanced toward him,” she said. “He ran out of the apartment.”

A neighbor who heard Crowley screaming called 911. When police arrived, Crowley, according to reports, became “uncooperative” and refused to answer many questions. A week later, she filed a written complaint with Dallas police, and a judge ordered Manziel to stay away from her for two years.

“I was lucky to have survived,” Crowley told The Post. “I fought for my life that night.”

Manziel faced a year in jail but the domestic assault charge was dismissed last November when he successfully completed requirements of a court agreement that included taking an anger management course and participating in the NFL’s substance-abuse program.

Manziel’s CFL rights are owned by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, who worked him out last summer. CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie initially said Manziel couldn’t enter the league last season but would be permitted to play in 2018 if he met certain, unspecified conditions. They gave him the green light in December.

Manziel has recently given a number of interviews and has acknowledged taking medication to deal with bipolar disorder. Last month, he announced his participation in The Spring League in an attempt to jumpstart his football comeback. It will play a four-game season in Austin, Texas – Manziel is from nearby Tyler and played his college football at Texas A&M – from March 28 to April 15 this year.

Meanwhile, Crowley says she’s still dealing with the aftermath of Manziel’s assault. From the Post:

“Immediately after [an assault] you feel so powerless — you’re stripped of your dignity, your self-worth,” Crowley said. “Trying to get back to that place where you really know yourself is a journey.”

And while she’s moved on from Manziel, the ordeal weighs heavy on her heart.

“I will never have closure. I will never publicly get an apology,” she said. “That’s really hard, being so close to someone and you both knowing what happened.”