Stampeders general manager John Hufnagel typically lays low when free agency begins, preferring to either retain the players already on his roster or wait for the smoke to clear before adding a few small pieces here and there to fill out the roster.
Huf has long preached that if you are looking for the big money to become the highest played player at your position in the league, you’d be better off drawing that cheque elsewhere.
In recent memory, Hufnagel has let Ben Archibald, Stanley Bryant, and Derek Dennis all walk away after CFL Lineman of the Year seasons to find greener (or oranger or bluer) pastures.
With that in mind, here are the five CFL potential Free agents, not on the Stampeders last season, that I think the Stampeders should at least kick the tires on.
- Jake Harty – The Calgary born Ottawa Redblacks WR plied his trade for the University of Calgary Dinos. Averaging a little more than a catch and a half per game last season, Harty could be utilized in the role currently held by Anthony Parker. Like Brad Sinopoli who went the other direction a few years ago, Harty may be looking for a homecoming.
- Julian Feoli-Gudino – No hometown affiliations here for the Laval product who spent last season catching passes for the Bombers but if the Stampeders are in the market for another National pass catcher, JFG and his 3 TD’s from last season may prove very appealing if the price is right.
- Philip Blake – The 330lb National got into 9 games last year for the Alouettes. The Stamps OL depth will be tested at the National positions this year given the retirement of Dan Federkeil and the uncertainty regarding Pierre Lavertu’s return from an injury that kept him out last season.
- Danny Groulx – The former Eskimo OL could be used as a depth signing here.
- Nic Demski – The Riders WR missed half the year last season due to a Labour Day injury and lands at the number three spot for this list when it comes to National receivers that could fill Anthony Parker’s shoes.
Rumblings in Calgary are, like last season where Marquay McDaniel and Cordarro Law signed on the eve of free agency, that Huf will have more than a few extensions to announce in the coming days which may render this entire list obsolete.