David Braley says concussion lawsuits holding up sale of B.C. Lions: report

B.C. Lions owner David Braley says that concussion lawsuits are holding up the sale of the team.

Braley spoke with Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 in Vancouver on Monday and he relayed the conversation in a series of Tweets.

Arland Bruce, who played 13 years in the CFL with Toronto, Montreal, Hamilton and B.C., filed leave to appeal in August to the Supreme Court of Canada after lower courts dismissed his lawsuit over repeated concussions he says he suffered as a player. Court documents say Bruce is seeking damages for “permanent and disabling” repetitive head trauma that he alleges he sustained over 13 years.

British Columbia’s Supreme Court and Court of Appeal have dismissed the suit because Canada’s top court has previously ruled that unionized employees must use labour arbitration – not the courts – to resolve disputes that arise from their collective agreement.

TSN’s Farhan Lalji reported in July that the 76-year-old Braley planned to sell the team by the end of this season.

Braley also voiced his support for general manager and head coach Wally Buono who’s future has been the subject of speculation, particularly in light of this season’s disappointing campaign. The Lions are 6-9, last in the West Division and unlikely to make the playoffs for the first time in more than two decades.