Glenn leads Alouettes to season opening win over Bombers

Kevin Glenn threw for 332 yards and a touchdown to veteran S.J. Green as the Montreal Alouettes defeated the Blue Bombers 22-14 Friday night in a game that was delayed because of lightning.

The CFL season-opener for both clubs at Investors Group Field was put on hold with 6:57 left in the first quarter as an approaching weather system brought lightning and then thunder and rain. The stoppage lasted about an hour and resumed after players had a quick warm-up.

Montreal’s Boris Bede hit field goals from 41 and 47 yards and added a pair of converts. Backup quarterback Brandon Bridge plunged in for a one-yard TD and Green hung onto an eight-yard touchdown toss.

Bede and Winnipeg kicker Justin Medlock each conceded a safety.

Medlock had a 47-yard field-goal attempt hit the left upright late in the first half, but booted a career-long 58-yarder early in the third quarter that tied the Winnipeg record of Bernie Ruoff for the longest field goal. He also added a 62-yard punt single.

Winnipeg receiver Darvin Adams eluded a tackler during his 63-yard TD reception, which was followed by a two-point convert catch by Quincy McDuffie with under three minutes to go in the game.

Glenn completed 30-of-42 pass attempts and had an interception. Winnipeg quarterback Drew Willy was 26 of 35 for 251 yards with a TD and a pick.

Montreal led 12-0 at halftime, but it could have been a wider gap if not for some gaffes.

Bede’s 41-yarder gave the visitors the 3-0 lead at 4:46 of the first, but a Billy Parker interception of a Willy pass was called back because of an offside penalty. Winnipeg ended up punting before the weather delay.

Recently acquired Winnipeg receiver Weston Dressler took a helmet-to-helmet hit from Als rookie defensive back Ethan Davis just before the lightning started. He walked to the dressing room and the Bombers later announced he wasn’t returning to the game.

Montreal got to Winnipeg’s 12-yard line after the stoppage, helped by a 44-yard reception by Green, but an interception stopped the drive. Glenn was pressured and his throw to Sam Giguere was picked off by Chris Randle just inside the goal-line.

Winnipeg took over at its own four-yard line, but defensive lineman John Bowman _ last year’s CFL sack leader _ dropped Willy in the end zone. Medlock conceded the safety at 14:28 to give the Als a 5-0 lead.

Bridge plunged over the goal-line at 9:59 of the second and Bede’s convert stretched the lead to 12-0.

Als veteran linebacker Chip Cox also intercepted Willy, but the turnover went nowhere as running back Tyrell Sutton fumbled the ball going into a crowd and Randle recovered it.

Winnipeg couldn’t take advantage again and Montreal then hurt its chances once more.

A Glenn TD toss to receiver Duron Carter was wiped out because of a holding penalty.

Medlock’s 47-yard attempt hit the upright with a minute left in the half as the Als took the lead into the locker-room.

Medlock opened the second half with his franchise-tying 58-yard field goal at 3:13, but Montreal responded with Green’s TD catch three minutes later to go up 19-3.

Medlock’s punt single at 13:06 got a big cheer from frustrated fans, some who had been booing Willy throughout the game.

Bede made it 22-4 at 1:56 of the fourth and Adams scored at 12:22 to squeeze the score to 22-14.

– CP

Must Read