Back at Ticats practice after a couple of days away (Uncle Milty filled in admirably and I got to see my kids at their piano recital.) Let’s get caught up.
• the Ticats have some injuries piling up at the Canadian defensive tackle spot. All-star Ted Laurent and sophomore Evan Gill have been out since late last week and now Linden Gaydosh is down as well. Word is Laurent and Gaydosh are day-to-day while Gill may miss the rest of training camp.
It’s unlikely Laurent would have played in the first pre-season game on Saturday so there’s no reason to rush him back. But defensive tackle is a spot where the Ticats are absolutely planning to start a Canadian – there was even talk they could start two – and injuries at that spot could cause ratio issues down the road.
• offensive lineman Mike Filer sat out for a second straight day with stitches in his thumb. Sophomore Mathieu Girard took the first-team reps at centre while first-round draft pick Brandon Revenberg also filled in some (he’s having a very solid camp.)
• linebacker Troy Davis is also still out. Alex Hoffman-Ellis taking first reps at middle linebacker the last few days.
• former Ole Miss and Arkansas head coach Houston Nutt is at practice today. Ticat head coach Kent Austin was offensive coordinator for Nutt’s Rebels and he also has a long-standing friendship with Hamilton general manager Eric Tillman.
• the Ticats are still running the same first units on offence and defence but they’ll soon begin transitioning to the line ups that will face the Argos on Saturday.
• kicker Cody Mandell was trying long field goals during the break period between practices and hit one from 60 yards. He’s got excellent leg strength but the consistency in his place-kicking isn’t there yet – hardly surprising for a guy that’s been exclusively a punter for much of his career.
• for those wondering, here are the cutdown dates:
June 14: rosters reduced to 65 players plus non-counters by 11:59 p.m. ET
June 19: rosters reduced to 46 players, excluding injured list, by 11:59 p.m. ET