I’ve been more or less off for a week due to the second and final bye in the Ticats schedule, then took an extra day yesterday to enjoy my 16th wedding anniversary. With the odd hours, weekends and travel, this job can put some strain on family life from time to time so I think it’s important to celebrate the relationship upon which much else is built.
But let’s get caught up…
• Jeff Mathews is now the starting quarterback and he took all the first team reps. How’d he look in practice? He looked fine. He always looks fine in practice. The real question is: how will he look in a game? And that’s impossible to answer.
• the other big piece of Ticats injury news coming out of the Edmonton game was the loss of left tackle Jake Olson. Joel Figueroa was in that spot today with the first team and the team has added former Ticat Marc Dile to the practice roster.
• the following players did not practice or were limited: return man Brandon Banks, guard Ryan Bomben, defensive end Adrian Tracy, Canadian receiver Matt Coates. Defensive backs Rico Murray and Johnny Sears as well as receiver Andy Fantuz and running back C.J. Gable did sideline work but no drills or teams sessions.
• on the plus side, receiver Bakari Grant looks to be back to 100 per cent and was running with the first team offence today.
• offensive tackle Jeremy Lewis and receiver Terrell Sinkfield, both of whom missed practice yesterday for personal reasons, are back today and in their usual spots.
• the Ticats signed six players to the practice roster yesterday: offensive linemen Dile and Cord Howard, running back Michael Ford (who was with the team earlier this season), wide receiver Lestar Jean, defensive end Troy Davis and defensive back Tevrin Brandon.