Johnny Manziel’s agent was right, just ask him

Johnny Manziel’s agent was correct.

In advance of his client’s first start for the Montreal Alouettes, Erik Burkhardt said it was “insane” to start Manziel after just four practices. The result: the 25-year-old quarterback threw a career-high four interceptions while getting hammered 50-11 by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

“I stand by what I said. I hate to be the ‘I told you guy’ and I’m not going to stand up here and say that, but I’m Johnny’s agent, my job is to protect Johnny and always think about Johnny and his best interests,” Burkhardt said on the latest Barstool Sports Comeback SZN podcast.

“And sometimes in this business that makes it really tough because Johnny’s sole focus and interest is not on himself, it’s about the Montreal Alouettes and being the best teammate and leader he can be. And sometimes as a leader, you gotta just essentially just take one for the team as I think Johnny did – go out there and get kicked in the teeth a little bit and start from the bottom and work your way up.”

The Alouettes traded two proven starters, receiver Chris Williams and ratio-breaker defensive end Jamaal Westerman along with two first-round draft picks out of desperation to try and save the season. Head coach Mike Sherman didn’t feel the decision to start Manziel was rushed.

“As I told their front office the week before, I didn’t agree with it, I didn’t like it, in terms of looking after Johnny’s individual best interest,” Burkhardt said.

“But at the same time, I do get it in talking to my client. Johnny’s like ‘look E.B. I get it, I hear what you’re saying, I wish I had a couple weeks more to prepare, some more practices, some more reps, but this is my team now and they expect me to be a leader and I gotta go out there and do the best I can with what we have right now and continue to get better.'”

23 Comments on Johnny Manziel’s agent was right, just ask him

1. He wasn’t a raw rookie. Welcome to reality.

2. What a joke // August 9, 2018 at 11:17 am //

Manzels agent is going to say all the right things, so if the NFL comes calling he gets a pay day that’s the only thing his agent cares about, so even if old Johnny washed up get the record for throwing 100 pics his agent will say something like he isn’t used to the cfl what a joke

• James T. Kirk // August 9, 2018 at 11:37 am //

Your lawyer and Doctor will say all the right things to get a pay day. Dirty rotten scoundrels

3. Tiger man // August 9, 2018 at 11:17 am //

His agent was right…but so was most of the CFL fan base.

An agent trying to tell a team how to play his client…a lesson in how to get tuned out quickly…

• Agreed. I didn’t think agents were part of the decision-making process once a player has signed.

“Coach, I really think you need to change your offensive philosophy, as it would be better for my client.”

4. James T. Kirk // August 9, 2018 at 11:21 am //

After 2 weeks practice with Als this was essentially his first preseason game. Did we all forget Masoli had two very bad interceptions in little over a quarter in his first preseason game this year?

• Blue rules // August 9, 2018 at 11:40 am //

Keep making excuses for Johnny “I can’t spell CFL” Madmazel, he’s useless! Go back to selling T-shirts from your Daddy’s car!
      Now, people are only watching for the same reason they watch NASCAR, just want to see how badly he will wreck out!

5. He’s protecting his client’s reputation, as he should. But there are two ways to get a QB CFL-ready. In JM’s case, having him sit and learn for 2.5 years would be a waste. Throwing him in the deep-end with a bad team is the other way: everyone has rushed to judgment on that, but I think it was valid. I suspect he could have a breakout this week, although the Redblacks will be tough after choking like a drowning dog at BMO.

6. “Johnny Manziel’s agent was right, just ask him”

So is Apologist 51, just listen to him!

7. He had a full training camp with the Tiger-Cats to get acclimated to the game, and he didn’t look lost in the pre-season games: so he had a handle on the Canadian rules and set-up. The offense he had some familiarity with, as Mike Sherman was his coach for his redshirt season at A&M, so he understood what his coach wanted to do and what the playbook looked like.

I don’t think this was any different than a rookie back-up being thrust into the starter’s role after an injury. McLeod Bethel-Thompson didn’t look out of place making his first ever start for the Argos this past weekend. The excuses for Manziel are just that. Excuses.

• Foodie Foodnerd // August 9, 2018 at 2:31 pm //

Brockleigh, the playbook didn’t look familiar, because Johnny Footnote has never once learned a playbook, even back in college.

His entire game consisted of running around and tossing up jump balls for big, talented, willing-to-study Mike Evans to miraculously pull down.

Evans just signed a well-earned, fat second contract so he won’t be bailing out the Footnote again any time soon.

8. James T. Kirk // August 9, 2018 at 12:13 pm //

Go A!s. Sitting and learning (James Franklin) does not always work either. Every case is different. John does have a history of bad first games at [email protected] and Browns. Not making any predictions though.

9. Lennywasout // August 9, 2018 at 12:26 pm //

His agent demanded starters money which he pretty well got so it’s time for him to shut up and Johnny to play as a starter. If he fails…..so have many others before him. Next years will be time to earn his $$$. If not, just another washed up player with a pathetic agent.

10. Brockleigh, yea and that Steveler kid did great straight outa Univ. South Dakota. This performance blows holes in more than Manziel,s ability. It also blows holes in the long cherished contention that it takes yearz to learn to be a CFL QB. Wait.. This only applies to Steveler who literally just graduated. Mcloud BT is 30, kicked around NFL for 6 years, and sat behind Rickus Raygun for 1.5 years. Conclusion..predicting QB winners us about as accurate as picking ponys at the track.

11. Blah blah blah…news flash the NFL don’t want you johnny so enjoy your time in Montreal

12. David Tress // August 9, 2018 at 1:24 pm //

Manziel needed the reps anyway. He will get better. There was facemasking by Hamilton on one of Johnny’s picks that the ref didn’t call, and roughing the passer on another.

13. He is the poster boy for raw rookie. It’s an insult to anyone who has played football to think 4 practices will prepare you enough. Especially at QB.

That said, I don’t think he will succeed. His game isn’t sustainable, CFL or NFL. People throw around the name Doug Flutie. The only things similar are both are short and both are escape artists. Flutie could dissect you from the pocket. Manziel has never done that. It’s all ad-lib with him.

14. His agent is a total dickhead on this. IF he was a decent agent doing his job he’d not have advised Johnny Stubborn to sit out TC but he’d advised him that if wanted back in the NFL he must come to Canada and go to TC.

His agent just put more distance between Manziel and the NFL as you could hear the US TV sets being turned off by scouts who didn’t want to see more of a train wreck the moment he fired his first INT.

• Tiger man // August 10, 2018 at 7:44 am //

Not only that, Greg, I doubt many NFL GM’s want or need the added headache of an agent constantly blabbing in their ear and publicly second guessing every decision they may make regarding Manziel.

Good player…just not worth the added nonsense.

15. What Manny [Manziel] wants Manny gets. He’s a starter now in the CFL.

16. At least keep the discussions with the employer private…. What a moron.