If the Alouettes make changes, who should it be?

As we established last week, the problems with the Montreal Alouettes go far deeper than quarterback play or even the respective football acumen of their head coach and general manager. No, the issue lies with Alouettes ownership making football decisions without the benefit of a football pedigree.

I believe that the team desperately needs a new head of football operations, someone who has complete say on all things football – and it can’t be Kavis Reed.

Now, assuming that this team will eventually smarten up and hire the right person for the job, here are some of my top candidates for the position.

Danny Maciocia

The Grey Cup winner and former Esks GM and coach is a local product, currently serving as the head of the Montreal Carabins program. Many like his ability to handle both languages and the fact that he’s expressed very little interest in the job. But he has also rubbed some in the league the wrong way in the past. Still, when you consider a football operations position in this province, you can’t do so without thinking of him.

Kent Austin

As a former QB and the former head coach of the Ticats, Austin has the pedigree for this role But he’s got a very cushy Consultant role right now in Hamilton and I doubt he wants to take on the pressure cooker and insanely big challenge that is Montreal. Or does he?

DeVone Claybrooks

The former Alouettes defensive lineman and current Stampeders defensive coordinator reportedly did not want to be considered for Montreal’s sideline boss job. But, what if he was offered the chance to lead the entire program? That might be too good to pass up. A guy known as a player’s coach and a great soundbite, Claybrooks would be a fun and intriguing choice.

Duane Forde

The former player turned standout analyst and broadcaster has been around the game for decades. He’s well respected throughout the league and knows player personnel as good as anyone. In the mould of the Redsox and Yankees hiring ESPN analysts, could the Als do the same with Forde?

Wally Buono

The legendary league coach and executive played for Montreal once upon a time. Buono will step down from the Lions at season’s end. But could the allure of a turnaround in his old stomping ground be enough to get him to stay active in the league?

Whenever the Wetenhalls decide to cede control over to a competent, experienced, innovative candidate, there’s clearly no shortage of options at their disposal. The question remains: will they make the move any time soon?

Jock Climie

Another former Alouette and current TV analyst, Climie is a lawyer by trade and has been an astute observer of the league for many, many years. It remains to be seen whether or not he’d even want the job. But you’d be hard pressed to find a more intelligent candidate who understands the Montreal market better.

Matthew Ross

Matthew Ross

Matthew Ross is a radio host on TSN 690 Montreal and has contributed to the Montreal Gazette, MLB.com and AskMen.com. He's a native Montrealer and misses watching Anthony Calvillo just like everyone else.
Matthew Ross
Matthew Ross
About Matthew Ross (27 Articles)

99 Comments on If the Alouettes make changes, who should it be?

1. True Blue // August 8, 2018 at 11:45 am //

This ownership has a history of firing people without allowing them time to succeed. They want a magic pill and don’t have the patience required to properly allow the time required for a proper team rebuild. What respectable and qualified person would take a position with this team knowing this? I agree with this article in principle but the owners won’t change. They will continue to meddle and therefore continue to be bad.

• They had a great HC in Jacques Chapdelaine, all he needed was a QB and a GM with half a brain. They may still be paying Jacques Chapdelaine, maybe they bring him back after they fire Sherman and Reed

• Super Flea // August 8, 2018 at 11:57 pm //

Jacques was terrible! His offense was atrocious..he got rid of the qb that got him hired…then was insubordinant on top of that! GTFOH…he will never get a HC job again!

• I think the owners son took over, correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is when the clown show started, he hired Reed. The Author never mentioned Larry Smith, he is the guy they need, he is the one most responsible for Montreal success back in CFL as far as I am concerned, he put the deals all together for Montreal success.

• brian johnson // August 8, 2018 at 6:43 pm //

New QB with strength and sound future would top the list. Maybe Montreal and CFL should have a draft from other teams. 2 each from Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, and 1 player from other 4. Would be starters not backups. Next few years it will be harder to find players. Unless CFL works a major deal with CFL for player developmentleague.
      Expansion not a chance in the near future.

• brian johnson // August 8, 2018 at 6:45 pm //

Should read CFL works a major deal with NFL.
        Sorry

• Evil Empire // August 9, 2018 at 3:14 am //

@brian Johnson.

Are you out of your freaking mind ? AB kept this league afloat not that long ago. I’m pretty sure neither franchise, or fanbase is prepared to give up a single player. There was an expansion draft for Ottawa. That team won two games their first season (2014). And, made a GC appearance in the next. Then of course, won the GC the following year. WTF is Mtl’s excuse for being complete garbage ?

There is an sms, which is basically even, and fair. And, I might be wrong but, I believe Mtl busted the cap in either ‘09, or ‘10 when they won the Cup. But, still… Back to back championships less than a decade ago. There’s no way they should be in this mess. But, they are. They got themselves in to this mess, and need to get themselves out.

Unbelievably bad HC, and GM hires were made by Edmonton starting with firing Higgins, and promoting Maciocia to HC, after ‘04 ( The Eskimos won the GC in 05 in spite of Maciocia ). And, that was just the beginning. I really don’t think I need to go through the list of HCs, and GMs, and itemize how horrible, incompetent, or outright negligent those guys were.

But, I sure as hell didn’t expect the league, or it’s member clubs to bail us out. Especially, since the wounds were self inflicted. And, I don’t recall the fans of other teams feeling bad for us. Much the opposite, in fact. I disagreed with most of those moves. So, that certainly isn’t the route I would have taken. But, as a STH, I had to live with that mess.

The Eskimos finally began to emerge from that dark time when they hired Ed Hervey. And, even the first year of Hervey’s watch was horrible with Kavis as the HC (4-14). Pretty much what BC is going through right now with Hervey. I don’t know if Hervey was hamstrung, and had to keep Kavis, in year one. Like he was this year with Wally. But, he sure as hell got rid of him after that year.

Just my luck, it was during Hervey’s first year that I relocated to the US. So, I haven’t even been able to enjoy the good times since that ‘13 season in person.

But, they got themselves into their mess. And, they got themselves out.

I would NEVER consent to a welfare draft for Mtl. But, where you totally went of the rails was when you suggested…

2 picks from 4 West teams, but only one each from the East, and BC. WTF are you even talking about, man ? The 80s, and 90s are gone, and the Eskimos gave at the office.

GTFO !

• brian johnson // August 9, 2018 at 9:46 am //

Actually I’m not recommending a draft BUT Montreal is in trouble BIG BIG BIG time. They sold there Canadian draft choices for the near future, have No GM or coaches,No players to build around. Know one wants to go to their team. Impossible for anyone to succeed in next 5 years. New US football league is starting up and will need 600 players???
          Montreal owners may just fold if their is know improvement on field and stands.This years revenue
          loss will be huge. Will it help CFL if Montreal folds or not. So helping them a bit might be smart.
          We will see in the next 6 weeks the path.
          NO NEW GM OR COACH CAN TURN THIS AROUND QUICKLY!

• How much did Danny pay you for that plug Ross? Your list is a joke, most of your “candidates” have no GM or player personnel experience. DeVone Claybrooks, really? Forde, Climie, Wally (hello have you missed the Wally is retiring tour)? If this is your idea of a search expect worse results than what they are experiencing currently.

I would think that Sherman isn’t going any where and he will have influence, big time over what will happen. If it was me, I would be knocking on Eric Tillman’s door. Frankly, the guy has rebuilt the Esks (although Hervey loves to take credit for it, the bones of that team were put in place by Tillman), the Riders and the TiCats. Saunders, Lawrence, Laurent, Dean, Masoli, Banks the list of talent he has found and the Cats have signed is huge. His list of contacts in the US is massive running the senior bowl for as long as he did and working in the NFL. Wally didn’t find the talent in BC, that was done by his AGM. He may be someone to take a look at.

They need to give Sherman time to get it all together. Honestly the league should put a cap on how many NFL coaches are on a staff, they don’t have a sweet clue about how the Canadian game works.

2. I agree with the last post. Best thing for change is for Commissioner Ambrosie to step in and force ownership to sell. This is smelling like ownership with the NHL Senators

• Unfortunately you can’t force an owner to sell, only if bills and payroll are not being met could the league step in. It’s the son that is doing the damage….

3. Tiger man // August 8, 2018 at 11:57 am //

And this is why the Als are in trouble now…hiring people with no qualifications or track record in the job….like most on your list…give the job a bigger title and paycheque and then try to pry existing GM’s…

This team doesn’t have the time or their fans the patience to train another one…

• Paul Bomber // August 8, 2018 at 3:48 pm //

Whatever do you mean? Reed is very experienced (ran out of Winnipeg on a rail, helped Sask to get the 13th man out on the field for the second last play of that Grey Cup loss (special teams co-ord that year even though they always so LaPo’s hat-whack), ran Edmonton into the toilet w/consecutive play-off misses)

4. David Tress // August 8, 2018 at 12:06 pm //

Montreal needs time and some recievers who can get open. Manziel is a good quarterback who will get better with experience. Any major changes should come during the off season.

• Tiger man // August 8, 2018 at 3:13 pm //

David, the Als have a porous defense, an equally leaky Oline and an offense with no imagination, talent and as such absent of scoring ability…

They need more than time….they need a major overhaul of their personnel…starting with the man who created this mess…Reed…

• ya….like about 3yrs….by which time the franchise will have folded!

5. Pennyrocker // August 8, 2018 at 12:11 pm //

I think more Chris Jones to take over the Als. He fit right in with the owners with the same demeanor.

• Paul Bomber // August 8, 2018 at 3:58 pm //

K… so I can’t stand CJ, but he wouldn’t actually be a bad choice. He’d keep ownership out of football operations with a chainsaw & baseball bat and could run rings around Reed & Sherman when it came to CFL knowledge. Plus he’s obviously not afraid to blow things up, which is exactly what needs to happen.
      Not suggesting this is at all likely because Reed obviously has some pretty high quality video of Wetenhall & I assume a goat, a jar of peanut butter and most likely a Wonder Woman costume.

6. Riding the Horse // August 8, 2018 at 12:11 pm //

Jock Climie? Duane Forde? – No experience at all. Terrible choices

Wally?- 5 or 6 years ago I’d say possible. Wally could return home and turn his original team around. Wally is tired and knows his time is up and his way of building may be antiquated

Claybrooks?- No way he leaves his situation. He’s smart and knows such a huge jump is beyond him at this point of time, especially in that mess. I hate to say it, but I think he’s BC bound next season

Austin- He’s just the type to take it, but poor choice

Maciocia- Been a long time since he’s been in the CFL. Out of all the choices, he might be the best

ALTERNATIVE:- It will take someone naive, egotistical and quite frankly, short of other options to take this job, (look at who they hired for HC last off season)
    Look for a rider assistant or personnel person to take this job.

• Danny Much-chokeup? No thanks, I wouldn’t hire this clown to manage a pee wee team.
      He single-handedly set the Esks back 6 years with his ineptness….

• Absolutely agree 100% that Dwarf Maciocia would be a catastrophically bad hire for anything beyond being a coffee fetch.

Maciocia is at his ceiling in the CIS.

• Ridersrule // August 8, 2018 at 1:45 pm //

You acually just described yourself , you should apply .

7. The Wetenhalls have been meddling in the day-to-day operations of my team for far too long.

Arguably, one of the worst decisions of the past few seasons, since AC retired as player, was the IMPENETRABLE decision to promote Calvillo, in the beginning of his FIRST year as a coach, from receivers coach, to quarterback coach, to offensive coordinator, all in the span of two weeks.

The results are well known. In the AC/OC era, the Alouettes won all of 6 games. And that era includes canning Chapdelaine, and re-installing Calvillo last season as OC.a decision that resulted in ZERO wins for the rest of the year.

Not to mention the absolutely dumbfounding promotion of our ST coordinator to GM. The man has few, if any of the contacts required to assure a constant flow of new, exciting young talent from either side of the border. The Bomben trade was sufficient condemnation of Reed’s GM abilities.

Now I’ve explained the relationship between all of these decisions ad-infinitum, so I won’t go into it again. But I will say this: ownership MUST change on this team. I am almost positive that the Wetenhalls have, as some ultimate goal, to bring AC back after his coaching “apprenticeship” under Trestman. This franchise will not survive another Calvillo experiment.

Something MUST be done before the Wetenhalls run this franchise into yet another failure.

8. The problem isn’t so much with the coaches and GM as it is with the recruiting/scouting staff. They have been doing a poor job in finding talent. The Als OL is atrocious, the defence needs to get younger and they’re thin in talented receivers. Why the owners always insist on getting a HC who knows nothing about Canadian football is beyond me. They were lucky once with Trestman but not since.

9. dangnabbit // August 8, 2018 at 12:39 pm //

Marcel Bellefeuille. He was known as a perennial .500 coach in Hamilton, going 9-9, 9-9, and 8-10 in his three full seasons as head coach. But .500 would be a huge step up for Montreal, and he accomplished that previously with a quarterback tandem of Quinton Porter and a young Kevin Glenn (similar situation to the Als’ quarterback lineup today). And he’s also a francophone for what that’s worth.

• CFLs Best since 1990 // August 9, 2018 at 4:16 am //

Nice, outside the box thinking there… I like it. I thought he made lemonade while in Hamilton, and came close to some upsets, if I recall correctly. Got the impression he was a players’ coach, too, that his team wanted to play for him. Montreal needs that more now than ever, lol.

10. Very Surprised that Hufnagel never made that list look at what He has done since He arrived in Cowtown.Montreal should right Huff a Big Fat Cheque.

• CFLs Best since 1990 // August 9, 2018 at 4:29 am //

Fair comment. Lol.

Only problem is that what Huff has done in Calgary is create a perpetual machine that gets results. Creating something this beautiful takes a lot of working parts and people, and I’m not sure anyone could offer him enough to leave a perennial winner that he’s responsible for already, and here’s the part that is most difficult to replicate: Three years from now, maybe six years from now, I don’t think you’ll find this Stamps team in a much different place than they are now; at the top of the league. They are already significantly younger than they were a couple of years ago, and look at what they’re doing. I think you’re absolutely correct to suggest he is the man for that job, and that they should write him a big, fat cheque, but… from his perspective, it would be hard not to see it through when you’ve designed and implemented a thing of beauty. Rejecting the gift horse that will keep on giving seems counter-productive. That cheque would have to be massive, lol.

11. A head of football operations could work if he could truly isolate the ownership from football decisions, but for now I think I still favour a change in ownership. If I had to pick a HFO, however, I think from that list it would be Austin. I think Forde would be a very good choice as an assistant GM.

12. Paul Smith // August 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm //

Climie is so overrated.

The TSN panel with Sanchez, Dunigan, and Stegall highlights 3 players who made an impact in their careers.

Climie was a journeyman receiver.

He needs to stick to his job as a Lawyer where he can be his arrogant self and get paid handsomely.

• Hard working journeyman players have traditionally been the better teachers of the game (coaches) post playing career.

• Over rated? You may not like him but he was no journeyman. he ranks in the top 20 of all time receivers, gained almost 10,000 yards, had 4 years over 1,000 yards, was an all star 3 times. he was also Canadian so on the alltime canadian receiver list he is in the top 10 if not top 5. Get your facts straight please. If I was Jock I would sue you for slander 🙂

• CFLs Best since 1990 // August 9, 2018 at 4:45 am //

The Kavis and Jock show in Montreal? Hmmm. Yuck.

I suspect arrogance was a big part of why he’s no longer one of the go-to panel guys. Appeared to me, after he had made it his personal mission – on camera – to get Randorf out of there, he got the tables turned on him. If I was reading the tea leaves right, I thought it was priceless, and cheered the Dunigan/Stegall tag-team as they kind of laughed him off the set…

…last I checked, plenty of laughter has already been aimed in Montreal’s direction. Kavis PLUS Jock? So, that should be a big, fat “no.”

13. Mr. Roy Shivers along with Duane Forde would right the Alouettes franchise top to bottom. Forget the aformentioned.

14. The only one is Kent Austin. Rest aren’t even close.

15. I cannot believe Kavis Reed is still employed in Montreal.
    Unbelievable!
    New local ownership is needed badly.

16. CFL lover // August 8, 2018 at 2:22 pm //

Not that he would ever return but Marcel Desjardins was Popp’s assistant GM back in the day. If he came back and teamed up with Danny Maciocia, he part time only, they would rebuild a strong Canadian base, hell also bring in Duane Forde, a solid trifecta there. It’s obvious that Kavis Reed, Mike Sherman and Miles Gorrell (Director of National Scouting) are completely out of their depth. From day one Ottawa’s non-import talent was impressive often dressing nine Canadians, there is so much local talent that the Als would also create a buzz with their fans by growing from within. Desjardins has also shown that he can find solid American ballers. And let’s face it without that raw talent don’t matter who your head coach is. Job one. Strength at the top. This is hugely lacking in Montreal.

• Super Flea // August 9, 2018 at 12:07 am //

Ottawa 8-9-1 8-9-1…1 winning season!fluke Grey Cup

• CFL lover // August 9, 2018 at 2:33 pm //

All I know is that team is five years old. They’ve been to two Grey Cups in that short time frame and are leading the East again this year. As for fluke Grey Cup they were leading Edmonton until late in that first Cup losing by what 4-5 points ? Every team should be so flukey !

17. Edward Leslie // August 8, 2018 at 2:33 pm //

Long overdue. Glen Constantin from the Laval Rouge et Or.

18. These “choices” are horrible. Such s poorly thought out article.

Joke Climie and Duane Forde have absolutely ZERO experience. You might as well have suggested Rod Black too.

Claybrooks is a DC – – appointing him to run a franchise would be way beyond his ability at this point.

Buono is a washed up has-been – – have you seen what a debacle the Lions are? Almost as much of a dumpster fire as Montreal is.

Shovelface Austin failed miserably in Hamilton and couldn’t even win in at the half-assed Ivy League.

The only people capable of rebuilding this dumpster fire who would be reasonable candidates – – obviously Hufnagel would be capable but there’s no possible way he’d leave what he’s built in Calgary – – would be Rusty Tillman or Jim Barker.

• How can u even say Kent Austin failed? He built the team into a contender with a winning record and took them to the GC twice. Even when Collaros melted down, he found June Jones. KA brought Johnny Manziel to the CFL.

Such a sweeping generalization it isn’t even funny!

• dangnabbit // August 8, 2018 at 5:01 pm //

Stepping away from coaching duties after starting the season 0-8 is not exactly a successful end to his tenure in Hamilton, is it?

• The TiCats got progressively WORSE every year under Shovelface Austin – – culminating with the absolute debacle of being winless last season until they mercifully euthanized him.

Getting WORSE ever season until you’re finally fired is a textbook example of an unmitigated failure.

• Super Flea // August 9, 2018 at 12:08 am //

2 winning seasons no grey cup win…he was in the east!

19. I think Matt dunigan would be an excellent motivator as head coach. It did not work years ago in Calgary because he tried to be gm, coach and o.c. but as head coach only would be great

• Dunigan was given too much responsibility right away, should have started as QB coach and worked up from there.
      Besides that, even a veteran like Jim Barker couldn’t win in the circumstances of the day.

20. I think Austin or Jim Barker would be the guy to bring in. Or Tillman if you could get him to leave the TiCats

• Super Flea // August 9, 2018 at 12:11 am //

Thus league gets stale…always want to recycle…instead of allowing guys to grow into the role! The guys u just mention also can show you how not to do it better than how to!

21. Tom calder // August 8, 2018 at 3:41 pm //

Offer trestman partial ownership to entice him back in role head of football operations. He can hire his own gm, coach or coach himself.
    I would give trestman complete control to rebuild the franchise. Trestman loved montreal. als fans will return if they win, argo fans never will

• Super Flea // August 9, 2018 at 12:12 am //

When he left you found that he didn’t develop 1 single qb behind Cavillo! He didnt develop Cavillo either!

22. Barker as GM would be a fairly safe and fan friendly pic. However, it wouldn’t be a shock if Wally surfaced there in 2019. As for coaching- Claybrooks will get his shot if his D keeps dominating. Not sure he is ready to lead a franchise but he would do better than others on the lust like Austin and Danny Mac (who I don’t see leaving CIS).

23. Sorry Byron to rain on your parade but Austin did not have a Winning record with the Cats or at Cornell or His Career record is sub-500% and you mentioned the Two Trips to the Cup the Cats where lucky to be in the laughable East division.Can not believe I am going to Agree with Area 51 but on this point He is absolutely right.Like I’ve said many times a lot of Hamilton Ti-Cat Fans sure do have low standards,I guess being the worst Team % Wise for Two decades will do that to you!

• Bigplay I hate to see you align yourself with Arse51. Austin has had success everywhere he has gone in the CFL. Before being a head coach he won a grey cup with a 4o plus QB in 2004 with the Argos. He knows how to make an offence go and that would be great for JM. He won a cup with the Riders and went to a couple of Grey Cups with Hamilton. In fact, counting his time with the Argos he went to 4 grey cups in a row (not consecutively but for each year he coached). Whatever, you think of his approach give credit where credit is due.

24. Before Austin came along, the Ti-Cats were sub-500 and a long list of coaches were before him. he came in and built a winning culture… none of the other coaches brought the team even close in the laughable east div.

As well – the fans came back -due in part to a new stadium.

25. Kent Austin. He has worn many hats at TiCats. Not only saw the TiCats through the year at Guelph while THF built, but took them to the Grey Cup that season. As mentioned above he mentored Collaros, brought in good players who are now peaking, brought in June Jones and knew when it was time to finally back off.

• I think Austin did a good job. He tends to excel for two or three years but he eventually loses the team with his ape face approach. I would not give him credit for mentoring Collaros. Collaros learned from Ricky Ray and unfortunately injuries sidelined his career. I don’t think he will ever be the QB we thought he was going to be. Too bad because for about 2/3’s of a season he was great until a severe injury changed everything.

26. My vote is for Arse 51, he seems to think he knows everything.. Great ideas Asse 51 – Tillman as the face of the franchise – lock up the baby sitters. Jim Barker? his time has come and gone. Can’t coach, not a bad GM. I like the idea of Dunigan but agree maybe not the right fit. I think he could have been very good. Austin is a great choice. He seems to excel for 3 years or so until he loses the team but he always leaves them better than he found them. Austin was also a great OC with Toronto before winning the cup with the Riders. I think Wally is not a good fit for this job though most of the choices are better than what is there now. In fact, even Arse51 is better than the current group.

27. Byron what are you missing your last post states the Cats were sub-500 when Austin came along his time here He was sub-500.I do not think Bellefeuille was great but his record is not that far off what Austin did and He took over a Team that had not been in the Playoffs for three straight seasons and in His first full season as HC took the Cats to the Playoffs in all of His three Seasons big deal when Austin arrive the Cats had been one year removed from the playoffs and He actually inherited the number ranked scoring Offence and a HOF QB and the #1 overall draft selection overall. Austin’s Time in Hamilton was not that successful unless the Cats were playing Horseshoes and/or hand grenades but I love your Enthusiasm God Bless your Little Heart!

28. I’m always amused at the ridiculously low standards to be a GM in this league.

Especially considering the “competition” from clueless incompetents such as Kavis Reed, Ky Walters and Marcy Desjardins.

It’s remarkably simple to build a championship level team in the CFL – – get a good QB and the most NI talent you can possibly accumulate.

Where most CFL GMs fail is their inability to properly identify talent. Wasting time on no-talent hacks like John Manziel or Johnny Jennings or Matt Nichols. Comically overpaying for deadwood like Ernie Jackson or Adarius Bowman.

All I can do is shake my head in disbelief at the pisspoor decisions of the various GMs around this league.

• I am always amused by your nonsense comments on here Arse51. First, you rarely have anything positive to say or constructive. Instead you spout your useless comments about this guy being a hack and that guy being useless. I guess in the world of being useless you are somewhat of an expert so I will bow to your superior knowledge. For today’s Captain Obvious award, suggesting getting a good QB and canadian talent is a key for success in the CFL, thank you for that insight. You are right that Jennings may not be a good QB and it is far to early to look at JM. However, I do think that Nichols is an elite QB in this league. Right now you have to rank him #3 behind the two Alberta QB’s. Of course, if Ricky comes back then he can move down to #4.

• Super Flea // August 9, 2018 at 12:26 am //

Nichols has a Winning Record as a Starter in Winnipeg…Kyle and Oshea were about to be fired until nichols…who also won 5 of 7 for the 2015 Cup champions Edmonton Eskimos…he is only behind Reilly and BLM in QB rankings.

29. I think some of Collaros Success should be connected to Tommy Condell even when Zac went Down the Cats were a play away from the Cup with Masoli at QB and things started unravelling for the Offence with His departure and then upon steinauer’s Departure the Defence unravelled with was the Start of the End for Austin.

• Those are very good points. I think if Zac stayed healthy they win the cup that year. Condell did do a great job.

• And who swung the deal for Collaros to come to the tiCats??? Hint – it wasn’t A-51. it was…. Mr. Austin.

30. Bring back our Als // August 8, 2018 at 6:19 pm //

How about stamps assistant GM MICHAEL PETRIE, not sure he would want the Job but does have a hand in the success of the Stamps
    Go Kavis please go

31. Maciocia thought he was being interviewed for the GM job, but they wanted him for a figurehead role, and he said no. Montreal is not a very good team, snd as a fan I really don’t know the ins and outs of how come. Sure Reed can be second guessed a lot, but it seems pretty safe to surmise that ownership has been looking over his shoulder too. I doubt they would hire someone very independent.

32. I love these bomber fans on here with the solution your team hasn’t won a cup in 28 years in an 8-9 team league… Chris Jones can run circles around Sherman and Reed. Who’s Montreal’s win against this year… with Drew Willy may I add. Andrew Wetenhall and incompetent coaching is the problem.

33. The only good thing about going to work for Montreal is that you will get paid 3 years for 2 or 3 months of work.

• What’s Hamilton won??? The team that won a couple more games than the Als last year and has a losing record this year?

I don’t get it.

34. Hamilton was not so long ago in a similar state of disarray. A top-down rebuild of football ops is required, similar to what was done with O’Billovich in Hamilton and now Popp/Trestman in TO. Hard work, EXPERIENCE and patience.

• Tiger man // August 9, 2018 at 10:35 am //

Agreed, David.

Montreal is trying to take a shortcut, while every other team has done it through the formula you stated.

As Dr. Phil likes to say…”How’s that working for ya”….

35. C Stephen Cassin // August 8, 2018 at 10:08 pm //

Grab Jim Barker for GM and get Danny Barrett as HC.back in the CFL. Barker wins Cups every where he goes and has worked in Montreal and the players work for Danny. The upside to this would be seeing Jermaine Copeland in Montreal as a position coach.

• brian johnson // August 8, 2018 at 10:18 pm //

any one but Barker. Rather sign Kavis to new 5 year deal. Kavis is real bad. Barker not as good.
      Beg, borrow or steal a young QB to build on.
      JM wants to now when the next train is leaving Montreal??

36. Byron you need help first Austin did not swing any deal for Collaros sign him as a Free agent secondly yes in all of Austin’s wisdom He chose to not resign Burris(I actually dislike Hank)and sign Collaros instead how that turn out.Redblacks 1 Cup Cats 0 Get over it Austin was not the super successful Tiger-Cat Coach/GM you think He was! 36-44 and No Championships

• Thank you for correcting that asinine misinformation from a previous comment praising Shovelface Austin for his “brilliant” move to acquire Zach Collaros from the Argos.

Toronto was going to lose either Collaros or Ricky Ray in the expansion draft and knew they were forced to deal one.

WTF kind of skill or gamesmanship did it take to pull that deal off? Essentially, ZERO.

• It took guts to cut Burris for Collaros and part way through the 15 season when Zach was looking like an MVP winner it looked like a great move. Hank might have won a grey cup but he also lost his job to Harris part way through the year. Montreal would do well to hire Austin. His success with Argos, Riders and Hamilton for the first two years is better than most in this league

• Tiger man // August 9, 2018 at 10:30 am //

Burris was 39 when he left Hamilton. That’s old in the game of pro football. Zach Collaros had an impressive season in Toronto in 2013 filling in for Ray, who was injured. His career was on the upswing.

Someone with Collaros’ ability doesn’t come along often. Austin signed him and Zach took us to the Grey cup that same season. The beginning of 2015, Collaros was been pointed to as the league MOP until he got injured. As it was, our third stringer, Jeremiah Masoli, came within one play of beating your hero, Burris in the east final that season.

Burris’ career was up and down in Ottawa. At one point, he was benched for poor play….He ended up in the big game that year from a division that suffered from a lack of starters, while the two tones had two…Ray was injured most of the season, Collaros was still not fully recovered, and Montreal still hadn’t found a starter.

Your revisionist history is good for you, wrong for the rest of us.

37. Maciocia and Austin definitely legit and qualified. After those two guys those other guys recommended are definite LONG SHOTS and RISKS in my opinion. Whoever gets this job in the future needs to do ONE JOB real good. These guys with 2,3 or 4 titles/jobs have too many conflicts of interest no matter how many assistants they have helping them do these jobs. A CFL background with strong NCAA, NFL connections is the best type guy to get. Few and far between but they are out there.

38. Any team that could pull Duane Forde away from TSN for a GM gig would come away with s Grey Cup in 3 yrs and be a contender every year.
    That being said, MTL is a tire fire noone with a clue wants to touch

• And this is based on what exactly?

Please provide some factual substance and logical reasoning for such a proclamation.

Is it because of Forde’s deft handling of Rod Black’s nonsensical banter?

Is it because Forde used to pen token articles on CIS prospects?

39. Evil Empire // August 9, 2018 at 2:20 am //

I hardly know what to say. I dismiss 4 of these names immediately out of hand, as being completely unqualified. And, I don’t believe one of the two remaining guys would ever take the job.

So, it’s just a really bad list, imo.

If someone asked me to put forward 6 names for this position. I probably would not have named any of these guys. Only two of them are remotely qualified in my mind. And, I already said I don’t think one guy would take it. So, I wouldn’t even submit his name. I MIGHT have put the other guy in my top 6. But, I’m not going to give this question that much serious thought. Because, it’s not my responsibility. And, more pressing issues occupy my mind from day to day.

I just know that 4 of them would not make my list if I was asked to submit my top 100 candidates.

There’s 1 specific name on this list. That I can’t believe anybody that has actually followed this league for even just the last 20 years, would ever put forward. It’s just ludicrous, imo.

For their sake, I hope Mtl has a better plan than the guys the writer named.

• You claim “more pressing issues occupy my mind” and that you’re “not going to give the question serious thought” – – but then you craft a long winded comment filled with cute little allusions.

You wouldn’t be able to come up with a half dozen candidates that are both competent enough for the job AND have a realistic possibility of actually taking the job.

Hufnagel would certainly be competent, but there’s ZERO possibility of him leaving his kingdom in Calgary to take over the Montreal dumpster fire.

Joke Chapdelaine would absolutely take the job as the head of football ops in Montreal, but he’s an incompetent buffoon.

• Evil Empire // August 9, 2018 at 5:52 am //

@A51.

Yeah, I put thought into my reply. But, as for actually needing to think about these particular guys. It took less than a second to know exactly what my thoughts were. It’s a no-brainer.

The fact that I took the time to give my thoughts on the ppl listed. Is imo, diametrically opposed to wasting my time, by actually trying to think of who I would submit as being qualified. And, at that particular time, I obviously had nothing more pressing.

It’s akin to say…

A pound for pound argument in combat sports. Or ridiculous thoughts on who beats who’s ass in their primes. There is no provable answer. And, Prime Ali didn’t fight prime Tyson. It’s stupid, and wasteful to even contemplate it, imo. If you do contemplate such nonsense. You have too much time on your hands. Or, are wasting it on complete bullshit. But, that’s me. And, I don’t care how others spend their time, or thought.

It’s not hard, man.

“ cute allusions “

I saw no reason to actually name the ppl. Especially, not with disrespectful “ cute “ nicknames. That’s your thing. I gave my opinion, and didn’t have to directly insult anyone to do it. If you know the league, you know who I meant in every reference. If you couldn’t correctly infer. I don’t freaking care.

Basically, my post was a big IDGAF. I’m allowed to choose how I spend my time, money, thought, and emotion. And, sorry but, trying to come up with names for this position. Is simply not a priority of mine.

This reply was enough of a priority. That’s kinda how it works.

Give your head a shake, man.

40. CFLs Best since 1990 // August 9, 2018 at 5:08 am //

Isn’t Laval always in the Vanier Cup? Perennial winners? Home province?

Whoever is running that PROGRAM probably deserves a shot at a CFL job (developing a PROGRAM) as much as anyone, certainly anyone on the above list. Surround them with some experience. New blood brings new ideas and possibilities.

• CIS level coaches are hopelessly out of their depth at the pro level. We saw it wil Greg Marshall – – dominating at MacMaster but then failing miserably at the pro level.

Same deal with Steffy Praszek – – great at Laurier but hopelessly incompetent to even be an OC at the pro level.

Laval also has the built in advantage of being able to use grown men to play against kids thanks to the CEGEP.

41. That is, perhaps, the most outrageous list of candidates for any CFL position. Not one of those guys would want the job.

42. Tiger man you are the epitome of a Ticat Fan just so Happy to get to a Grey Cup and lose and you point out How close you were to Beating Redblacks in 2015.Problem is close only counts in Horseshoes and Hand Grenades,Do you really believe Fans of Teams like the Pats or Stamps are saying well a least we made to the championship Game but cam up short no they understand the Goal!

• Tiger man // August 10, 2018 at 8:59 am //

And how do you know what most Tiger cat fans are thinking, have you talked to more than maybe a handful…or Calgary fans….once again with your assumptions..

Football is a game and entertainment…sorry to disappoint you, but it’s NOT life and death…

Yes, I was happy to get to the Grey cup in the first year of Kent Austin coaching this team and taking them from a 6-12 finish the year before. Yes, I would like to see them win it.

Unlike you, I’ve been a fan of this team for a LONG time. I’ve seen BOTH the great and not so great seasons. They BOTH happen in the history of a team.

I gave you that information previously only to point out that moving from Burris was a good decision, however injuries to Collaros cost the team dearly in 2015 and 2016. And even now with the riders, his time on the sidelines has continued.

The last two years the Stampeders made it to the Grey cup too and lost both times,… The same last season with the Patriots…

I’m a fan, not the owner or the coach. They are the ones who make the decisions. Those are the people whose mindset you need to focus on….

43. How about Jim Barker i think he’s a dark horse but the guy know’s how to build CFL team’s

44. Area 51- Laval wins and Montreal has lots of success at CIS because of more than just Cjep. They have the money and do great recruitment. Same with Nill wherever he is. Laval is private and gets tons of money into the football program which includes facilities. Laval and Montreal are the two “Have” teams in the conference and across the nation.

45. Management needs to go. If this was an episode of The Sopranos…The Black guy would get whacked…Sorry Reed just buisness.. a few white guys would get also.