Stampeders avoid trap game

The Calgary Stampeders were perfectly set up for this kind of trap game. Coming in against the last place Lions, down to their third string running back, arguably their best receiver on the shelf for knee surgery and looking forward to a weeks vacation as soon as they could get through 60 minutes.

Heck, even the media scrum after the game was thin on this holiday weekend, prompting Dave Dickenson to jokingly ask if the Calgary Flames had made a trade.

None of that mattered of course, as the Stampeders downed the Leos by a 27-18 score marking the first time the Stamps had won by less than double digits on the season.

“I kind of sensed our guys were running out of gas,” said Dickenson after the game but had praise for his QB. “I thought Bo (Mitchell) looked super sharp, he and (Kamar Jorden) had something going on.”

Something going on is an understatement for the game that Kamar Jorden had as he set a league season high with 185 yards on just five catches as the Stampeders continually went deep down the field with their passing attack.

Jorden’s TD catch was described by his quarterback: “That might have been the ugliest pass I’ve ever thrown. I don’t know how he caught it. It looked like a kick, it was end over end… I was pretty impressed he could bring it down.”

“It was all over the place. It was definitely a duck.” Jorden backed up his QB later. “He put it out there. One thing Bo always says though, is if you see me scrambling, just go, just go…” which echoed Mitchell’s thoughts while defying the typical football logic of coming back to the quarterback to make completing a pass easier.

Some other thoughts on an undefeated team:

Second and very long

On 11 occasions during this game, the Stampeders needed 10 or more yards to get a first down. They got the required yardage eight times. On seven of those plays, they garnered more than 20 yards including a 30-yard completion to Juwan Brescacin on second and 21. So much for the Double Justin’s offence that Saskatchewan head coach Chris Jones is purporting to emulate. The Stampeders averaged nearly twelve yards per attempt and almost 20 yards per completion as Mitchell continually hurled the ball downfield.

Ground attack gone wrong

Don Jackson and Terry Williams are the first and second option for this Stampeder team at tailback and neither of them have been available lately so marinate this criticism in that sauce, but the Stampeders offence has long relied on the running game and it hasn’t been effective recently. Romar Morris has averaged less than four yards per carry in both of the last two weeks which has put pressure on the passing game. Fortunately for Morris, the passing attack was more than up to the task against the Lions. “Hopefully we will see some reinforcements” was Dickenson’s thoughts on the running game following the win and with a bye week on the schedule next, the team is hoping to see one or both of the injured running back’s return to the field against Saskatchewan.

Ball hogs

The Stampeders want the football and when they have it they don’t like to give it back. The turnover ratio for the Stamps after Saturday’s clash is 25 takeaways vs. eight giveaways. A plus-17 mark after seven games means that the Stampeders are averaging 2.42 more turnovers per game than their opponents. They have thrown the fewest interceptions at four, lost the second least amount of fumbles with three and have given up a sparse 11 points off those eight mistakes for an average of 0.63. By contrast, they have scored 72 points from their 25 turnovers for an average of 2.88 points per turnover. Doing the math just the turnover battle this season sees the Stampeders gain almost a full touchdown advantage over their opponents. The numbers actually got worse this week as the Stamps had just one point off three turnovers in this game, a Rob Maver punt single. Speaking of which…..

Just Maver things

Earlier this week on Twitter, Stamps PR man Jean Lefebvre suggested that the league should change the statistic of punts that land inside the opponent’s 10-yard line to be referred to as “Mavers”.

While still waiting for all this weekend’s stats to be updated, Maver right now has seven kicks inside the 10-yard line versus two singles including the one he scored against the Lions. Comparing that to others around the league, Lions Kicker Ty Long sits three I-10 versus three singles after this week, while headed into the week’s actions only Josh Bartel and Justin Medlock had yet to score a single this year but had combined for just four I-10 kicks. The Stampeders punt in enemy territory more often than other teams rather than try the field goal opting to continue winning the field position battle and forcing teams to put together 100 yard plus drives to get touchdowns. Without Maver’s ability to find the coffin corner, the strategy would have to be amended. Punters can be an underutilized weapon in the CFL and the Stampeders have weaponized Maver very effectively.

Lulay ends streak but record watch continues

The Stampeders defence had not allowed more than 200 yards passing since week one against the Ticats before Travis Lulay put up 281 on a night where he went 25-of-39. However, after allowing the Lions 18 points, the Stamps have now surrendered a total of 86 points. That leaves them with 11 games remaining and 216 points left to tie the all-time low for an 18 game season of 302 set by the Argos in 1989. The Stampeders could average 19 points against for the rest of the year and still break that mark. So far they are averaging 12 points against and have allowed more than 19 against just once. The Stamps have given up just three rushing and three passing TD’s through 7 games.

Following the bye week, the Stamps will resume their season on August 19th when they once again travel to New Mosaic to face the Riders.

Ryan Ballantine

Ryan Ballantine

Ryan is a lifelong Stamps fan and host of the Horsemen Radio Podcast. He has been covering the team since 2008.
Ryan Ballantine
Ryan Ballantine
About Ryan Ballantine (36 Articles)

63 Comments on Stampeders avoid trap game

1. Ya, all perfect except for the big one that matters.That’s when Bo and the boys choke or get help from the Zebs.

• Riding the Horse // August 6, 2018 at 7:34 pm //

yap yap yap…….
      I can tell you this, it feels good knowing my team has pretty well clinched a western playoff spot and is very well poised for another Western final at home….
      Who else in the west can say that??????

• dangnabbit // August 6, 2018 at 11:14 pm //

Calgary hasn’t clinched a playoff berth yet, as the magic number is at five. They could clinch by Labour Day if the bubble teams play badly during that stretch and the Stamps stay undefeated. But if instead the bubble teams play well and knock off a few of the stronger teams, it would clear the way for Calgary to coast to first.

2. Greenland // August 6, 2018 at 7:28 pm //

Red must be at the trough.

• Edmonton can and since we are talking stats . Calgary 16 greycup appearances 7wins 9 losses. Edmonton 23 appearances 14 wins 9 losses.

3. Riding the Horse // August 6, 2018 at 7:29 pm //

Great writing once again Ryan.
    This team has leadership, character and a winning culture. That’s why they won when so many factors were leading to demotivation.
    Bo’ TD to Jorden was as wobbly a throw as I’ve seen, yet pin point accurate. This game was the most I’ve enjoyed watching Bo in a long time, he was so agile on his feet, leaving the pocket and throwing on the run so well.
    Running game was off, but I gotta say, with Randy Richards back, I thought the o-line was the best I’ve seen to date this season in terms of pass protection.
    Sunny days as historic McMahon Stadium.
    The crowd was pretty good, considering it was the August long weekend and Calgary was otherwise a ghost town.
    Love the new area in the southeast side of the grandstand. Looks really nice.

4. Former Rider fan // August 6, 2018 at 7:34 pm //

I envy the whole Stampeders organization.

• GreenInCalgary // August 6, 2018 at 11:46 pm //

I admire Huff and the organization that he built after he replaced Tom Higgins, but I don’t envy them or anyone else. I doubt that you were ever a real Roughrider fan.

5. White Horse // August 6, 2018 at 7:46 pm //

Stats don’t lie. Huff, Dickey and BLM are resting up and strategizing for the game at Mosiac. This will be a tough game again for the Stamps. Jones is for sure a defensive guru and he will prepare some new goodies to a-front the Stamps offense with.
    I love the intensity and look for a field goal to win it…GO STAMPS

6. I was at the game, BC was down some players too just saying . And to put it mildly if it wasn’t for 2 missed holding calls a missed pass interference leading to one of your picks. An offsetting offside penalty which if bcs player got drawn offside its not offsetting and that objectional conduct call that even tsn panel questioned. They probably would not have won.

• True Green // August 6, 2018 at 11:11 pm //

There are always calls that are questionable that could have should have would have done this or that to the outcome of the game. When there’s one bad call or mistake play in particular it’s pretty easy to fall into the trap of saying the outcome could have gone the other way. But if you have to point out 4 or 5 things to say the game probably could have had a different outcome then it sounds like sour grapes.

Riders fans have a bad enough rep in some circles due to over zealous fans. When a team earns a win like Calgary did over BC, there’s no point in being bitter. It sounds like jealousy and pettiness. I’m sure you don’t mean it that way, but I’m listing into our because there’s plenty of that kind of BS talk in this site and it’s unfortunate. It ruins what could otherwise be a good cfl chat site.

Check out the article on Adam Zaruba. When I read it there were about 10 comments alone form Red Jerry absolutely ruining an otherwise good conversation.

7. White Horse // August 6, 2018 at 8:58 pm //

Was your mouth full when you said all this Rob..of course you are a slider fan and just hoping the Stamps would lose. Damn those reffs!!!!

• Nope I’m an esks fan and a cfl fan living in Calgary and unlike a lot of the bragging stamps fans I was at the BC game. I observed the miscalls and horrible Reffing which was evident if you were at the game. But for an undefeated team who has been in the greycup the last 2 years its disgraceful to have seen the amount of empty seats. Edmonton’s on your tail .Might be the year the Esks win the west

• True Green // August 6, 2018 at 11:14 pm //

My apologies, I was wrong about your team affiliation.

I was at the Riders/Esks game on Thursday. That was a great game, I love Green and White versus Green and Gold!

• Oh…is this a Rider thread horsebag?

8. White Horse // August 6, 2018 at 9:17 pm //

The last game the Esks beat the Stamps was 2015.
    Stamps have owned the Esks since, both at home and in Edm. This Labour Day will be no different IMO.

• Yup you have but this years Stampeder’s are not the dominating force they were the last 2 seasons. Your o line is weaker forcing Bo to rush passes. He looks very average this season. Granted Edmonton’s d hasn’t looked great due to injuries and playing rookies. But has looked better the last couple games . may I also add that except for a stupid Maas call Edmonton might have tied and possibly ended up winning last years west final. But keep on your delusional thoughts about how great your team is. Please take Edmonton lightly. Can’t wait to see them fall. Oh and Edmonton still owns the labour day edge by a game 29-28

• Riding the Horse // August 6, 2018 at 10:37 pm //

And in the last 10 Labor Day home and homes, Calgary has a very slight 17-3 edge!!!! WOW!!!!

• CFLs Best since 1990 // August 7, 2018 at 2:30 pm //

29-28, huh? Anybody under 42 might have no idea that the Esks were once winning the BOA, but their fans prefer to look a little further back for their #’s… er, um… a lot, when you really think about it. I mean, now is what matters anyway, but if we were to stop and compare oh, let’s say THE LAST 28 YEARS – is that enough history? – how does the BOA stack up during actual recent history? I guess I understand why they like to hold onto the golden days, but hey, it is a pretty distant memory at this point. And the closest thing to gold in the CFL for the past 28 years is Calgary, and that… is NOT CLOSE. Cheers.

• Pino Nuwar // August 6, 2018 at 11:17 pm //

Maas’ call was still a choice between going for it on third down or kicking a field goal. No guarantee at all that Edmonton would have made the yardage to continue the drive. Calling for the field goal was definitely a boneheaded move, but that doesn’t mean that the alternative would have worked out any better for you.

• CFLs Best since 1990 // August 7, 2018 at 1:33 am //

“they are not the dominating force they were…”

7-0, buddy. Jeez…

9. Evil Empire // August 6, 2018 at 10:28 pm //

Like I said about Edm in Mtl. It’s only a trap game if Edm allows it to be. The same as the game against the Riders, or coming up in BC. Or Mtl at Edm after that, for that matter.

Good teams win those games. I expect Cgy to beat the Riders in their next game. It’s only a trap game if Cgy allows it to be. It’s nothing spectacular. It’s just what should be expected. It’s what good teams do.

• True Green // August 6, 2018 at 11:24 pm //

Riders versus Esks wasn’t a trap game. You may have the better record but with Zach, Carter and Marshall all playing where they should be that was a very good game between two equal opponents. I believe Esks have a better offence and the Riders a better defences. I won’t get into playing the “what if” game but you and I both know that game was going either way in the last 6 minutes.

If Zach stays healthy, and I’m not sure he will, Riders can beat any team in the west any given day. I guarantee you your team doesn’t take them as lightly as you do.

10. Bleeding Green // August 6, 2018 at 10:57 pm //

Can’t wait for Stamps-Esks. Gonna be a heavyweight slugfest. My money would be on Calgary.

• CFLs Best since 1990 // August 7, 2018 at 1:49 am //

Edmonton is hoping for a slugfest. And you’re probably right to expect it, but if I’m being honest, I’m kind of hoping for a beatdown of epic proportions, lol. Now that would warm my insides 🙂

• Bleeding Green // August 7, 2018 at 2:34 am //

EE are the only team that can give the Stamps a run for their money. Im just excited to see the 2 best CFL QBs go at it.

• CFLs Best since 1990 // August 7, 2018 at 2:40 pm //

Great point… and the teams surrounding them are pretty damned good, too. I vengefully yearn for the beatdown I think because of the enduring Eskimos run of my youth… and frankly, I’ve experienced quite a bit of satisfaction on that front, ever since.

Also, I think it’s narrow-minded of us to not include a good football team in Winnipeg in that top-tier category.

• Yeah I agree. The Bombers are riding high after 2 victories over a terrible Argo team. They have some tests coming up. Will see if they’re for real this year. They play us twice and the Stamps in there too somewhere. Not saying were the cream of the crop, but it’ll show what were both made of. Those will be fun games too.

11. Bleeding Green // August 6, 2018 at 11:00 pm //

All those who are saying Stamps will choke in the GC this year. I think you’ll be eating your words come November. This years Stamps team is in a league of its own. Barring a BLM injury, or something crazy, this team will win the GC cup this year. I’ll buy a Stamps jersey if they don’t.

• True Green // August 6, 2018 at 11:26 pm //

Who’s name? “Ballantine” or “Jerry”? Lol

• Bleeding Green // August 7, 2018 at 1:16 am //

To clarify, I’m not cheering for the Stamps. But you can’t deny they are a force to be reckoned with this year. Offense, Defence & special teams are humming. And as a Football/CFL fan, it is fun to see them tear it up. Just not against us. Lol

• Bleeding Green // August 7, 2018 at 1:18 am //

I feel like Red should be in on this. If the Riders somehow pull it off, he has to get a Rider jersey to add to his closet collection.

12. Former Rider fan // August 7, 2018 at 1:06 am //

To greeninCalgary and puck hog.

I was a Roughrider fan from the days of Bill Clarke, Reg Whitehouse and Ron Atchison (pre George and Ronnie) until halfway through Chris Jones’ first year.

• Ridersrule // August 7, 2018 at 1:13 am //

Fess up you are mr red using yet another handle . If u were ever a rider fan you don’t stop cheering for a team because of a coach or gm you don’t like , the team is bigger than that . You never were a rider fan and all real rider fans say don’t let the door hit you on the way out .

• CFLs Best since 1990 // August 7, 2018 at 1:45 am //

As impactful as the games can be for a fan, ideologies can be much more powerful.

13. Dundas dude // August 7, 2018 at 2:49 am //

I still don’t think the 2017 Grey Cup was an upset…Argos were a good team in October/November. What I admire with Calgary is the ability to win….they are just so efficient from quarterback, down. Their regular season success hasn’t translated in to Grey Cup wins, obviously, but Calgary is a remarkable team… 18 games is a long season, but they look awesome so far.

14. Former Rider fan // August 7, 2018 at 3:39 am //

To Ridersrule;

Stick it! I was attending Rider games before you were born. But I will not support Chris Jones.

• Cant say I blame you for not liking Jones. But real fans stick with a team through thick and thin. Stick around. – Jones won’t be around much longer. Year 3 of a “rebuild” and were below .500. Not good enough. If CR has half a brain, he’ll see CJ isn’t the guy. hes a good DC but not a great GM/HC.

15. Scottsask // August 7, 2018 at 4:45 am //

Then dry up and blow away! Let the real fans discuss football.

16. Former Rider fan // August 7, 2018 at 10:17 am //

@ Scottsask;
    I was discussing things and it was on topic for this thread.
    I said, “I envy the whole Stampeders organization.” , now you’re the fourth person to demonstrate why Rider fans are obnoxious.

• Yawn…So it goes from “I will not support Chris Jomes” to “Rider fans are obnoxious” And you still claim you “were” a Rider fan. Highly doubt it!!

17. Riding the Horse // August 7, 2018 at 10:39 am //

lolololol
    OH Man it’s hilarious!!!!!!!!
    rider fans just can’t accept that someone who might have been a rider fan, is no longer a rider fan!
    Hate to tell you this, but that list is very very long. As a born and raised Calgarian, I know many Saskatchewan people living here, yes they start off as diehard rider fans, but after 10-15 years they have completely switched allegiance to the Stampeders.
    Besides this, 3 downnation wrote a series of stories last year about former rider fans, now cheering for other teams.
    Sorry guys, that’s how she goes.

• You wouldn’t know what a real fan is horsebag. The fans you speak of are “much like yourself” bandwagon fans.

18. The Stamps deserved a better fate in the Grey Cup last year. Hope they have complete success this year, even though I’m a Riders fan

• CFLs Best since 1990 // August 8, 2018 at 11:47 am //

Thanks for your objectivity. Everyone wants to call them chokers, but they dominated that game for 58 minutes and it slipped through their fingers simply because a player forgot the situation and tried to do too much on a single play near the end. Otherwise, it was a complete lockdown victory… hardly a ‘choke’ job. They did deserve a better fate, and I’m looking forward to watching them roll through this year in order to prove it.

19. Been a rider fan since 1954 once a rider fan always a rider fan win or lose. You were never a rider fan if you change because you don’t like the coach . We have had a lot of bad coaches threw the years and I still cheered for them. In Jones we trust he will turn things around

20. Once a rider fan always a rider fan
    A true rider fan is always a rider fan
    Both these above statements are simple cliches, used by all fans across all sports. Just replace the word rider with any sports team.
    riders have the biggest bandwagon in sports.
    A win- the players are Gods, a loss- they are all rotten bums and should be ran out of town

• You don’t know your ass from page 4. Your jealousy of the Rider organization and fan base is obvious by your unhealthy obsession.

Cramp fans have been dropping like flies and they are winning. Last weekends showing was hilarious. Because it rained during the day, people chose to do anything other than support their team.

• Riding the Horse // August 7, 2018 at 12:19 pm //

How long have you lived in Calgary?????
        It was a long weekend! Calgary becomes a ghost town on summer long weekends, you should know that and probably do.
        Attendance was pretty good. I was there, I would know. You don’t go to games. Stop spreading falsehoods

• Yawn….you know nothing about me, or if I do, or do not attend games. It was a poor crowd and you know it. But God forbid should anybody speak the truth about your coveted cramps.

• Riding the Horse // August 7, 2018 at 12:58 pm //

Just over 25,000. That’s not bad.
            You once told me you don’t attend games 🙂
            7-0
            3-4
            Bottom line to all arguments on here

21. Yep, 30 percent vacancy rate on seats at McMahon. Funny, isn’t that the same as the downtown office vacancy? And physco Red was stating how prosperous Calgarys’ economy is and wondering where are all the New Buildings in Sask. 30% empty downtown, that’s staggering.

• Riding the Horse // August 7, 2018 at 2:21 pm //

When did I say the Calgary economy was prosperous right now? Far from it at the moment.
      What I said is prosperous times in Calgary bring massive building booms when someone tried to compare Regina to Calgary.
      It is worth noting: Even in bad times we have some building going on. Telus Sky is a 60 story building that is nearing top off. And Calgary had a 5 figure net migration last year, despite the horrid economic times.

22. lol
    funny story
    A Sask town held a big party this weekend to open up a 50 year old time capsule. They smash it open and all they found was a beer bottle!!!!!

• Hahahaha I saw that. They invited MP’s, and were gonna have it put in like a glass case and stuff. Too funny. I feel like they dug in the wrong spot.

23. I lived in Calgary for 40 yrs when I retired I moved back to sunny sask.I have held season tickets in both cal and sask. was there when kaharik gave the stampeder fans shit because they out numbered the great stampeder fans. I was also gave the stamps money to bail them out they are not the be all off the end all

24. Should have been out numbered by sask fans