Video: Johnny Manziel feels football gods humbled him in losing CFL debut

After getting shellacked 50-11 by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Montreal Alouettes quarterback Johnny Manziel says his first CFL game was “humbling experience.”

Manziel threw an interception on his second pass and four picks total on the night, the most in a CFL game this season.

“I think I might have been a little bit too amped up. I made it a real uncharacteristic throw and set us back. I think I did a bad job of setting the tone off that first drive and really put us in a bad spot,” Manziel said.

“I sit here at the end of the game and take a lot of the responsibility for this loss. No excuse for the practices or anything like that. I felt that I made some uncharacteristic plays today.”

Manziel said he plans to use the game as motivation as he continues his CFL career. He was benched after three-quarters of action. However, head coach Mike Sherman said he will stick with Manziel as his starting quarterback for Montreal’s game against Ottawa next week.

“This game is humbling. This is a humbling experience. I’ve had this experience before and there’s two ways you ho about this moving forward: one, you can let this get you down and sulk and harm you moving forward. The other way is to take this on the chin like a man and never let this happen again,” he said.

“Moving forward, I know this is going to motivate me. I know this is a test. This is a test of my will and my drive and I’ve put too much time and too much effort to let this get away from me. Bad days happen in football. That was the most picks I’ve ever thrown in a game and it’s humbling.

“I’m not going to let this set me back.”

Manziel refused to blame his lack of preparation time for his performance.

“Would it have been nice to be here for two or three weeks and then get your first start? Sure. But I didn’t lack any confidence coming into this game. I didn’t feel unprepared but who knows? Today went just about as bad as it could possibly go and only up from here. I wanted this day to go a lot better, I had this envisioned in my head as going a completely different way than it did. But I believe this is a test of my drive and a test of our will as a team. We need to man up, me included,” Manziel said.

“It would have been nice to have more practices and more meetings and more time, but it was just a bad day and those days happen in football and learn from them because I don’t want to have this feeling again, it sucks. But nevertheless I don’t think this defines me coming up here as a CFL player, I don’t think one game good, bad, indifferent or anything makes your career. If I would’ve been judged after one game at Texas A&M I wouldn’t be where I’m at today. Just keep working man, football is a tough game, it’s hard, it’s a team game, it takes every piece moving right to make the thing go and when guys are off and there is a lack of communication it tends to sputter, we’ll get better.”

The Alouettes were down 28-0 after the first quarter, tying for the largest deficit through 15 minutes in CFL history.

“I think we got beat so bad, things went so bad, so quick that even throughout the game, even when I was in there I just kept telling myself that this is a test, this is just football gods humbling me. You come up here, it’s not the NFL, it’s the CFL it’s different, you expect to do well, it’s what I’ve been accustomed to from college and had some moment in the NFL.” Manziel said.

“And then you come up here and it’s not what you expected or what you’re used to it’s a different place and this game humbles you. It’s crazy and the people who play it and I just talked to Coach Sherman about this, these things happen. You either bounce back and come back with a vengeance or you sit here and you let it kill you.”

22 Comments on Video: Johnny Manziel feels football gods humbled him in losing CFL debut

1. Lol.

2. Sometimes, it’s just better not to say anything Johnny. Especially about the visions, and talking to yourself about football gods. I would have kept that to myself.

3. What I get out of this is that the CFL is clearly the hardest league to play in.

4. Johnny handled it well. It was tough to put him in there after only 4 or 5 practices. I’m sure in time he’ll do well up here. From what I’ve seen of his so far is that he’s very intelligent humble man. If he doesn’t go back to the NFL he could be up here for a long time.

• Foodie Foodnerd // August 4, 2018 at 6:38 pm //

Fred, the problem is that Johnny Footnote says all of the same male bovine feces about being humbled every single time he and/or his lack of character is exposed.

The “lost in the sauce” he’s now whoring on overpriced hoodies is the exact same spiel he parroted in his ridiculous so-called apology to Cleveland for taking money he’d never earned.
      (While badgering his teammates to lie for him also)

• Tiger man // August 7, 2018 at 11:41 am //

“It was tough to put him in there after only 4 or 5 practices”

The Als were warned by plenty AHEAD of the game NOT to play Johnny.

They did anyway. What happened was predicted.

It was STUPID what they did.

5. A51 is a dbag // August 4, 2018 at 12:36 am //

Agreed Fred.

6. I am not a JM fan particularly, but I think he handled the aftermath eloquently. Everyone deserves a second chance in life. It’s not like he has a fabulous team behind him and its the first game he’s played in a long time. THe JM haters are celebrating but I dont think we’ve seen the last of him yet. Keep in mind, he is human. It’s a team sport to win or lose and you can’t blame him for all the hype.

7. Good on him for owning this. Despite what the haters say, by all reports he’s been an exemplary teammate and has said all the right things from Day One of his signing in the CFL with Hamilton.

The challenges will be tough and his play will continue to have mixed results, but he’ll grow.

8. April Whine // August 4, 2018 at 6:33 am //

Go to Cleveland dot com for the game recap. They show his stats for first starts in NCAA, NFL, and CFL. All losses all low pass yards. He still has more wins then any Browns QB since he left. That should change this year with Tyrod.

9. April Whine // August 4, 2018 at 6:36 am //

Bob you may be right. But if it does not translate to revenue it won’t mean anything. If John can rebound though the money will follow.

10. He looks a hell of a lot better in black and gold colors…quite frankly he looks stupid in Alouette colors.

• Everybody looks better in black and gold colours. Red, white and blue is annoying.

• Tiger man // August 7, 2018 at 12:01 pm //

Phil….after Friday night’s game, there were a LOT of Als players who felt the same way…for themselves…

11. “He looks a hell of a lot better in black and gold colors”. Agreed Philski.

12. I think Manziel handled that press conference with class and like a real pro. That had to be hard. I’m starting to warm to him. The blowout wasn’t solely his fault. I think the team and coach bear heavy responsibility. He did better in his preseason games with Hamilton. I bet he wishes he was never traded. Still, its early days and if he keeps at it, he and the Als will improve.

• Tiger man // August 7, 2018 at 11:51 am //

I went away from that game on Friday with respect for Johnny Manziel. He took responsibility and has not given up on himself. He showed class.

Unlike the management and coaches, who should have done the right thing by the player and waited to give him a fair chance to compete and win.

Instead, they ONLY thought of their own hides.

They were selfish and irresponsible.

This car accident will still be a mess two years from now. If Johnny wants a career in this league or the NFL, he needs to bale from it as soon as the calendar allows him to.

13. Internally, he probably feels like he was pushed into something before he’d had enough time to learn what he had to learn and develop more communication and synergy with his offence. But of course also knew that he had to keep that to himself and instead say all the right and expected things–which he did.

14. Evil Empire // August 4, 2018 at 11:58 am //

I wonder if he’s just another NCAA/NFL QB that seriously underestimated the talent level in the CFL. Or, if he was just ill equipped to start so soon in Mtl.

I’ll be watching that game from Ottawa. And, I wonder if we’ll see a marked improvement.

• In the USA, NCAA and NFL football are thought of as being the crown jewels of American-style football. They just don’t realize the quality that exists in the CFL. I’m sure JM didn’t really get just how big a step UP from NCAA the CFL is (and how small a step down from the NFL).

It’s starting to sink in.

Of course, he was also woefully unprepared for his first start in MTL, and has almost no surrounding cast to help him. So, a little from Pile “A”, and a little from Pile “B”.