Johnny Manziel’s agent: starting him this quick is ‘insane’

Johnny Manziel’s agent Erik Burkhardt feels his client is being rushed into action with the Montreal Alouettes.

Speaking with Manziel on the Barstool Sports Comeback SZN podcast, Burkhardt said he’s concerned that his client hasn’t learned enough of the offence to perform well.

“I’ve gone round and round with kind of your front office and everything else, I mean have you learned more than like nine plays in the three practices you’ve got before they decide to throw you out to the wolves so to speak? I do [think it’s premature],” Burkhardt said.

“It’s insane.”

Manziel was acquired by the Als on July 23 in a blockbuster trade with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

“He’s had like four practices in this offence, I think it’s a little premature. I think you’re only as good as your playcalling and your experience around you and I think everybody is trying to figure this thing out. I am, I’m a little bit uncomfortable and I think expectations need to be tempered a little bit because this is not baseball, you can’t just throw him in the five-hole and put him in left field and who gives a s*** what jersey he’s wearing,” Burkhardt said.

The 25-year-old celebrity quarterback says the team’s offensive staff, led by head coach Mike Sherman, has done their best to make him feel comfortable.

“I sat down all weekend with the coaches and put in some things that I feel like ‘Hey, this is what I did at A&M, this is what I felt like in Cleveland we had in our playbook that I liked. These are things that I’ve repped a lot in the past. I definitely stole some more Kliff Kingsbury plays. We put some stuff in that I felt like I knew and I’ve repped a lot in the past.” Manziel said.

“I’m going to go out and throw the s*** out of the ball, there is no doubt about that. I think the reps and getting out there and getting a chance to see everything in live game speed, it’s gotta happen eventually, what not happen now? Calm down E.B. we’ll be alright.”

Burkhardt doubled down on Manziel starting too soon and took a shot at the Ticats.

“I got more confidence in you than anybody in the world. I don’t think it’s completely fair. I want you to go beat their ass. They just traded you and we get to play Hamilton,” Burkhardt said.

“We’re playing the team that traded him and it ain’t like they’re blowing the doors off, they’re 2-4. I think their quarterback has thrown more picks than touchdowns, so go put it on their ass.”

83 Comments on Johnny Manziel’s agent: starting him this quick is ‘insane’

1. I think Manziel needs a new agent. What a Putz!!

• The agent is saying that the Cats are not playing well and were foolish to trade Johnny Football because with the Cats Johnny could have had a greater chance of showing his skill and talents. Jones showed no kindness to this young man while his team is clearly falling apart.

• Tiger man // August 2, 2018 at 1:26 pm //

His comments seem to be just a foolhardy as yours…

• Saynotoapathy // August 2, 2018 at 1:58 pm //

Sadly I completely agree. Masoli had better prove he is an elite QB Friday night since the Cat brass thought “Johnny football” Swas expendable. We shall see.

• Burkhart seems to know more about what’s involved i preparing a professional quarterback to play than YOU do. That much is clear.

• john gatti // August 2, 2018 at 4:17 pm //

Very smart agent……..creating win/win scenario. If he plays bad the agent says I told you…..if he plays great the agent says he’s ready to go back to the NFL.

2. Si1ver Fox // August 2, 2018 at 12:14 pm //

Things being done prematurely……… welcome to the “Kavis Era” in Montreal!!!!

3. 3DNation, the masters of the typo in the second paragraph: “Burkhardt said he’s concerned that his client has learned enough of the offence…” That should be “hasn’t”.

4. Jeff Garcia's Agent // August 2, 2018 at 12:18 pm //

Says the guy that wanted him to make starters money the moment he signed. Suddenly, his client that was ready to take over the CFL is being rushed? What a clown.

5. Willy McCoy aka Slim // August 2, 2018 at 12:24 pm //

Fool the O.C then fool the Head Coach. Who then convinces the GM.
    I’m not suggesting that Manziel was the better choice. However to put the back of the whole franchise on an unproven QB. When they had a proven QB.
    The whole team has been turned upside down. Releases, trades, moving kick returners into top receiver positions.
    What I see is a belief in a QB that can not get it done. I remember this very situation some years back in SK. The GM and HC were tricked into believing the wrong guy. Burris went and signed in Calgary because Shivers and Barrett believed in the wrong guy
    Jeremiah Masoli = Nealone Green

6. Laying out the excuses already for a poor performance.

7. JFF GUNNA SHREDD THE TI-kitties!

• “JFF GUNNA SHREDD THE TI-kitties!”

That would be SWEEEEET! Tied for 2nd and in a playoff position-ish (albeit early in the season).

Still. It seems very unlikely that Manziel can do much with so little. Once he’s got a playbook that he understands from A-Z, and which is adapted to his strengths as a playmaker – I’m hoping Manziel can set this team back on track.
      It’s unfortunately not likely to happen before the Ottawa game, if not later.
      Hope I’m proved wrong, though.

8. Never compare Masoli to Nealon Greene. Masoli is 10X better

• Willy McCoy aka Slim // August 2, 2018 at 12:34 pm //

Why? Because you say so. He’s a failure through and through. Just like Green he pulls loses out of the hands of victory.
      This is his first year starting. After a couple games and film was available he’s been shut down. He and Green are identical. They both fooled some pretty good football people.

• Whatever Slim, you should get your facts straight. Nealon Greene never once threw for 300 yards in a game. I’m also sure he never led Clemson to a major bowl game unlike Masoli who led Oregon to the Rose Bowl.

• Well said! Guy has tied the record for 300+ games.

• BlueBomberChris // August 3, 2018 at 9:36 am //

Small caveat there Breeze the Pac-12 champ gets an automatic bid to the Rose Bowl whereas I do not believe the ACC has any automatic bids for one of the former BCS bowls so it had just as much to do with where they played vs how they played to determine which bowl game they played it.

I’m sure Nealon did throw for over 300 yds once or twice but I’ll provide a few counterpoints. Firstly the style of game is more pass orientated now vs the run so that has helped to increase the pass YPG. Secondly passing for over 300 yds is great, heck you can pass for 500 but if you’re not getting the win(s) it’s not going to matter much. As we’ve seen evidenced every year; stats don’t win games.

• Tiger man // August 2, 2018 at 1:28 pm //

And so has Franklyn in Toronto…and he has the guru Trestman…

9. Willy McCoy aka Slim // August 2, 2018 at 12:31 pm //

Johnny Football Manziel is unfortunately doomed for failure in a franchise that is doomed from the top down.
    Any other team in the league would have given Manziel a way better chance at succeeding.
    After all the hype the most desperate team in the league is where he lands.
    Even if Flutie in his prime went to the current Montreal team. He would fail

• Flutie was 6-11-1 in his first season in the CFL, with the BC Lions. Manziel will do no better. Next season, with a full training camp under his belt, and hopefully a GM capable of surrounding him with talent, we’ll start to see what Manziel can bring to the CFL game.

It took Flutie 8 years in the CFL to get a job south of the border. I doubt Manziel will get any such consideration unless he sticks around the CFL for a few seasons.

He can always bounce down to the new league. But the more he changes uniforms, the less chance he’ll have for the stability and growth he’ll need to ultimately find that NFL position everyone covets so much…

Flutie won 3 Cups, was MVP of the playoffs 3 times. If Manziel sticks to the program, and accomplishes as much in Montreal as Flutie did in his time in the CFL, he’s got a shot at that NFL job. Otherwise he might as well pack it up NOW.

10. did his agent speak to manziel or what, manziel practically saying “finally I get to start, this is what I came here for” sounds to me like his agent is just getting the jump in case manziel flops badly, then he can say..told ya so

• Sounds to me like you haven’t the slightest clue what goes into preparing a quarterback to play.

• who are you saying doesn’t have the slightest clue? what, did you just start here? sounds like you’re trying to be something you AREN’T!

• You haven’t the slightest clue if you think Manziel could POSSIBLY be ready to play after so little time. You can “start” anything you like. You’re definitely clueless if you think that.

• And you are simply looking for an excuse, with a TOTALLY unprepared quarterback to say: see? We told you Manziel is no good.
          Maybe wait until he’s got his feet under him, before trying to denigrate his abilities.

• gee! looks like bethel thompson is TOTALLY prepared. I must be definitely clueless about thinking maziel could be better than that mistake behind centre for the argos tonite. I think sometimes you guys over think your knowledge!

11. What do the Als have to lose…..nothing

• What do we have to lose? By playing an unprepared quarterback? By adding plays to a playbook, so Johnny knows the plays, but his receivers and O’line may not?

What do we have to lose? JohnnyCFLFootball for one. We gave up 6 sacks with Vernon Adams out there. Vernon Adams, as elusive a QB as this league has seen for a LONG TIME.

We haven’t had this chaotic an O’line since Jacob Ruby had a sign on his jersey that said, “this way to Rakeem Cato. Tackle with EXTREME prejudice.”

And we’ve barely had ONE GAME in which one of our QB’s wasn’t injured this season: Free Willy, Mathews-Gone-Fishing, Sgt. Schiltz…all dropped and out.

What do we have to lose? A franchise quarterback, before he ever became one.

Is all…

• “Vernon Adams, as elusive a QB as this league has seen for a LONG TIME.” you’re definitely clueless! don’t ever try and pour your extreme cluelessness on me again! ya follo!!!

• Tiger man // August 2, 2018 at 3:05 pm //

more ticket buyers….

12. Note to Erik Burkhardt. Starting Manziel soon is nothing compared to what’s coming sometime within the next year and a half. Als will do something crazy like release Manziel outright or trade him for some backup national who the team will also let go.

13. Katmandu // August 2, 2018 at 1:01 pm //

How much more hype does this game need? … I had to read the last part twice. At first I thought his agent said “so go put it (in) their ass!” LOL

14. gocatsgo // August 2, 2018 at 1:05 pm //

Waveman has got it covered, setting up alibis for a poor performance if that occurs, kinda expect something in between with the Ticat defence at times making things very tough on Manziel while at other times his natural talent will come through and Hamilton fans will be scratching their heads about the trade,.. The real pressure should be on the Ticat offence not Manziel !, IT HAS TO BE BETTER!! After 3 consecutive lousy performances by the offence it is time that they put points on the board and win a game ! A win sends them to Winnipeg with hope the following week…another loss and they will be looking at 2-6 after they come back from Winnipeg.

• You can call it “setting up alibis” or you can be reasonable, and temper expectations for a guy who’s has only a few practices to learn ENTIRE offence, and play his first game in a ENTIRELY new game.
      I guess we know which way Ticats fans will go…
      Sounds like sour grapes to me.

15. Cleats59 // August 2, 2018 at 1:05 pm //

It will be a tough 1st quarter for JF, he’ll settle down and be fine. He improvises and can out run many of the LB’s in the league. Can’t wait!

• riderontheisland // August 2, 2018 at 1:49 pm //

the only LBs he has outrun were in NCAA and this is a step faster. You won’t see the same magic so don’t hold your breath.

• Chip Cox (for one) was a member of the Ohio Bobcats track and field team, where he was a premiere sprinter and placed sixth in the 100 meter dash at the 2004 Mid-American Conference championships.
        THAT is the level of speed for linebackers in the CFL.
        The game is FAAAAST. As most QB’s end up finding out, soon enough.

• gridironguru // August 2, 2018 at 11:59 pm //

Johnny played in the sec … that’s a very fast conference … pls don’t compare chip cox to a linebacker drafted in the first round out of bama lol

• I doubt that altogether.

Like with the Adams start last week, Sherman and Khari Jones will have as much of the first half as they can manage, planned and “blocked out”, play by play.

Then, when that all runs out, it’ll either be time for chaos to set in, or they’l go back to Adams and his more complete understanding of the playbook.

16. I agree… it’s ludicrous to start him only after one week. But the pressure is huge… Montreal needs a win badly. Will I be watching the game? Damn Right I am!

17. David Tress // August 2, 2018 at 1:17 pm //

Johnny will do fine and it’s about time. He practiced for 8 weeks in Hamilton.

18. I REALLY hope Manziel does well. And of course he’s going to throw the s**t out of the ball.
    The question is: to whom?

If Manziel plays the whole game (and that WOULD be crazy) and doesn’t throw at least ONE pick, it will be a miracle. If he throws three. it’ll go just about as expected. If he throws six, well you’d hope Sherman would bring in Adams before it gets to that point.

I get that Sherman and Manziel have a history, and a wealth of old plays from which to draw. But EVERY new play you add, you add confusion for every other person on that offence.

Texas A&M plays? What about the pass routes? You think guys like Inaction Jackson and Adarius “Dropsy” Bowman are going to have the routes and blocking down pat? How about that re-re-re-re-re-re-vamped O’line? They’ll be dancing around like cockroaches on crack.

A week and a bit of practice and they’re ADDING plays from Texas and Cleveland and who-know-where.
    I don’t want to be defeatist, but this sounds like a disaster…a badly planned, questionably motivated disaster waiting to happen:
    (From and interview with Coach Sherman, with Herb Zurkowski and other Montreal reporters)

Sherman: “Yes. John will start the game. Since you guys couldn’t figure it out for yourselves.”

Herb: “We didn’t want to assume.”

Sherman: “Well, you know what assuming means, right?”

Herb: “So how did you come to this conclusion? And why are you announcing this today?”

Sherman: “‘Cause I don’t want to answer the question tomorrow. And ah. It’s ah. I gave you guys the opportunity to figure it out. Gave you the benefit of the doubt, that you were a little bit smarter than I thought and you proved me wrong.”

Herb: “So how did you come to this conclusion?”

Sherman: “Well we obviously traded for John for a specific reason. Let me just say this about Vernon. He’s had very good practices. I thought he gave us a chance to win the game the other day. I think we have two very good quarterbacks. But we’re going to give the nod to John for this ballgame. That’s what he came here to do and that’s what we traded for. So that’s what we’re going to do. So we’ll play it like that.”

Herb: “Have you said anything to Vernon to assuage any hurt feelings he might have?”

Sherman: “Vernon understands the situation.”

Herb: “What do you think Johnny realistically can do Friday night, considering he really hasn’t played very much?”

Sherman: “Well seeing as though you all thought I should have played him last week…”

Herb: “I never said that.”

Sherman: “Well some people did. Ahhhhh. I appreciate the fact that you give credence to coaching…guys need to be coached up and taught certain things, but…he’s going to give us everything he has. He’s going to make some mistakes. He’s going to make some big plays. He’s not going to be perfect. But he’s going to give us everything he has. I know that.”

Reporter: “Is he ready for it?”

Sherman: “Well we’ll find out at game time.”

• what the heck does all that supposed to mean!!? you need to go have a lay down. manziel is more ready than just about every backup in this league. masoli is one big hit away from hamilton sending in..who?

• “manziel is more ready than just about every backup in this league”

Are you serious? Every other backup in the league (with few exceptions) has either been in the CFL for years, or has a complete understanding of the playbook, and is therefore ready to hit the field.
        Manziel has been in Montreal for less than 2 weeks. He’s had 5/6 practices in that time.

The O’line is in shambles…no doubt made worse with the addition of even more plays from all over college and NFL football.

He’s had almost zero time to develop anything close to “chemistry” with any receiver on the team.

• @waveman

Uh, Dane Evans. Anyone who has watched him practise knows he is more than prepared.

Watch and see!

19. If JM’s agent made these comments, you know it came from JM himself.

20. I was actually starting to pull for the guy but after this ass spouting off i hope hes a disaster

21. riderontheisland // August 2, 2018 at 1:37 pm //

this is all for show so he can say “WOW can you believe what he just did” if at some point he succeeds. Agents are full of BS and that’s all this is because he’s hoping to turn the NFL and say “Johnny conquered the CFL with no practice time so he’s ready to return”.

• I cannot believe the extent of the ignorance in these comments. OF COURSE Manziel isn’t ready to start. OF COURSE Sherman and everyone else on the Alouettes felt pressured to bring in Manziel last week, despite their best judgement. OF course the decision to start Manziel after a week of practice in INSANE.

But it goes well beyond that. Kavis Reed is a bumbling fool of a GM. He traded Ryan Bomben, exactly 1/5th of the opportunity to keep Manziel on the field for the rest of the season. And for what? A defensive back our DEPTH should have supplied, without effort. But Reed has no contacts in football. He’s shown ZERO ability to scout or draft talent. The man is a special teams coordinator, made GM because NOBODY else would do the job.

REED WAS A WASHOUT AS GM BEFORE HE EVEN TOOK THE JOB.

His signing of Manziel was a “Hail Johnny” and unfortunately will fail, because even if we still had all those draft picks, the ONLY talent he can find is other teams’ “trending downwards” ex-stars. That’s no way to build a winning team.

The ONE HOPE this franchise has of avoiding complete failure is to get rid of Reed (and the Wetenhalls come to that) find a decent GM with contacts on BOTH sides of the border, surround Manziel and Adams with young, up-and-coming stars, and rebuild the defense with same, and not disinterested free agents from other teams.

• riderontheisland // August 2, 2018 at 2:17 pm //

I agree he isn’t ready to start, I was just calling his agents BS because you know he thinks that Johnny walks on water.

• Always good for a laugh to hear the hollow rhetoric about needing a GM with “contacts” throughout the States.

What you need is a GM with the ability to assess players and accurately determine which ones have pro level talent and which ones are trash.

22. I think this is just trash talk to throw the Cats off, to make them think it will be a cake walk. This isn’t brain surgery. Manziel has played football before, right? Burkhardt was happy Johnny got traded for this very reason, to get off the bench. This is just for show, an act. Go get em Ticats.

23. Colour me green // August 2, 2018 at 4:03 pm //

Johnny has an excuse for playing badly. He can be pulled easily. Let’s see what he gots

• True, Johnny may start but can be replaced at any moment, at the least sign of difficulty, by Adams and fight another day.
      Maybe this is all marketing by Montreal and not so much about football but see Johnny, too, will be interesting even if it’s briefly.He was seen in pre-season and that was not a career killer.

24. Ticats Fan // August 2, 2018 at 4:15 pm //

Manziel needs a new agent. This guy is a clown. I can’t recall in any sport where an agent suggests that their client doesn’t play. He is worried that Manziel will flop on ESPN reducing his value south of the border. This is the real reason for his comment to make an excuse if he fails.

25. So should a former #1 pick in the NFL with experience sit out a few more games
    I’m sure Johnny is itching to play
    Axe your agent lol

26. Ticatgreycup2018 RIP July 23/2018 // August 2, 2018 at 6:17 pm //

I’m a ticats fan but was crushed when they traded Manziel. I hope he rips us a new one so they finally realize we are lacking the means to have a winning season.

27. John Manziel is a trash QB. He’s only marginally better than the incompetent Vern Adams.

The agent knows how useless Manziel is. That’s why he’s already started with the preemptive excuse about Manziel not knowing the offence.

Naturally, Alouette Fan is quick to latch on to any excuse available.

• gridironguru // August 3, 2018 at 12:05 am //

Trash? Why? Cleveland ? PRe season ? Surely not from watching his NCAA highlights … as I have said a few times on this site , his record was much better than the qbs who followed him in Cleveland … I’m guite sure a lot of people figured flutie was trash around 1990 too ! Time will tell and it certainly won’t say much tomorrow night but give him a chance sheesh

28. Glentworth // August 2, 2018 at 6:45 pm //

Burkhardt’s comments help to explain why negotiations with Hamilton took so long in the first place.

29. Evil Empire // August 2, 2018 at 6:46 pm //

I’d fire this clown on the spot. If your agent doesn’t have faith in you… Who will ?

I’d hire @Texan. Word is he has Manziel to dethrone Mike Reilly as the CFL MOP this year.

Seriously though, of course it’s insane. But, I’d fire this guy for making me look like a total biotch, if I was Manziel. There’s nothing worse than an agent emasculating his client beforehand in public. This is totally a winnable game for Mtl. With a gun to my head, I’d take Hammy. But, it’s hardly your lock of the week.

How big of an a-hole is this talking head gonna look if Mtl wins ? Then of course it’ll be… I told you so. My boy is the GOAT !

30. Bombsquad // August 2, 2018 at 6:49 pm //

I hope Manziel succeeds if for no other reason than its great for Montreal and the CFL, a league i love to watch, which needs teams to be competitive to make the league fun and interesting. As far as the Ti-Cats trading Johnny, they did it knowing he wants to bolt to the NFL as soon as he can and they decided a career from Masoli will be much longer than the one they get from Manziel, plus they got a nice return. And you never know, Johnny may just good enough to be a regular starter in the CFL, but his style and play won’t cut it in the NFL, so he stays and both Hamilton & Montreal are happy.

31. Everyone talks about the NFL pesh our game is so much better then the NFL our game is faster our field is longer and wider we need to be talking up our league yes we don’t have the $$ like they do down south but our game is a lot better to watch so we all need to get off the NFL talk and talk up what we have here an amazing game that in its self is not an easy game to play like so many players have found out in the past they think they will come up here and show us how the game should be played only to find out it’s not that easy. Lets go CFL

32. Win win for the agent, he wins “beat them with only 4 practices” if he loses it’s “of course he only had 4 practices”

33. thats one stupid agent, montreal has no choice, learn football agent

34. mr62cats // August 2, 2018 at 8:08 pm //

How long will it take for Manziel to be “ready”? He’s probably itching to get on the field despite what his agent says. Montreal did not trade for him to sit him on the bench for several more weeks to “prepare”. His agent is playing head games in case Manziel turns out to be a bust.

35. It’s all agent hype, folks. Build up the big match. Waiting for Don King to show up next.

36. SeaFiddle // August 2, 2018 at 9:09 pm //

What good does it do for Manziel to sit and watch VA. Lose to the Cats. He gets game experience if he plays and even if he loses he is a lot farther ahead than if he sits. Manziel is going to be the guy in MTL…. get him on the field.

37. So Johnny starts the game and Sherman is smart enough to know Manziel will have a limited # of plays and will probably throw in Adams now and then to give Manziel a breather and throw off the ti-cats d-fence… MTL will be hard pressed no matter what in this game but anything can happen…what happens if MTL’s d-fence actually gets to Masoli and he gets hurt.. you just never know what can happen… for both teams you can say its the start of the next 6 game segment ( mini season) and just go from there…only 2 teams from the East for the playoffs so both teams will go for it

38. No one, with a brain, will judge him after one week of practice and an O-line that has more holes in it than…. something with a hell of a lot of holes in it. JF has a fantastic future. He will be the lynch-pin of a team for many years and make good $ to boot. We’ll be patient. I can’t wait to see it all unfold.

39. Don’t worry there, Mr. Agent…TC’s bend and break D will surface again, enabling your client to get a win. Most likely will happen with a few seconds left and the game on the line…after Masoli fumbles or throws a pic of course.

40. Men without hats // August 3, 2018 at 7:07 am //

Mcleod BT is another example of an NFL-NCAA guy having quick success like Steveler. In fact his path is similar to Manziel’s. From Wikipedia.. Ucla red shirt. Appeared in 5 games for Bruins. Transfer Sacramento State (Ricky Ray Alma). Kicked around NFL. Like John played in Spring league but 2017. Signed with Argos may 2017. Two pre-seasOn games 2017. he has sat for a year and a half but still in initial contract. Lets see if Manziel can follow him from Spring league, two pre-season and watching a veteran on the bench to success. I hear John cherry picked through Als playbook to find stuff he ran at [email protected] and Browns.

• gridiron guru // August 3, 2018 at 10:05 am //

yes he did! that certainly will help him out and i am sure the players have done their homework to make sure they are up to speed with the tweaks… listen, folks, this is the biggest game in the cfl regualr season for longer than i can remember: this is good for the league either way- he fails and the cfl is respected more from nfl fans, he succeeds and the hype machine gets going and stadiums start to look fuller in montreal and wherever the johnny show stops at… this is good for football in canada tonight, regardless of what some cynics might say about the guy… and why would we not hope for a guy down and out on his luck and trying to make a comeback? i can tell you this, i have 2 friends talking about the cfl when i met them for lunch yesterday- they spoke about manziel…these guys are nfl fans that want to watch him play tonight? why? because hes a star and thats what they want to watch on tv and thats why they only watch the nfl, i believe…and these 2 guys grew up with a cfl all star here in bc and they still dont pay any attention to it- the cfl lost a generation of football fans some time ago, maybe guys like manziel can help bring them back?

41. The Agent took a shot at a another player. I understand an agent promoting his client but to make a disparaging remark about another player publicly is unprofessional in my opinion.

42. What a jerk agent… Mr. Jerry McQuire AB here. Hope Masoli takes it to them tonight… just for those rude comments.