Trent Richardson wants to sign in the AAF but the Riders still own his rights

Running back Trent Richardson plans to sign with the Birmingham franchise in the new Alliance of American Football league, according to Matt Zenitz of AL.com.

But whether he can remains an open question given that he’s still technically property of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

“He’s still under contract with us,” head coach Chris Jones said.

Richardson signed with the Riders last September and entry-level contracts in the CFL are two-years, meaning Richardson should have a year remaining on his deal covering the 2018 season. He wouldn’t become a free agent until next February, right around when the AAF is slated to begin play.

The Riders put Richardson on the suspended list to begin training camp and have not released him.

“Right now Trent’s got some situations going on at home so we’ll just have to see where that goes,” Jones said in May.

The 27-year-old Richardson carried the ball 48 times for 259 yards, scoring two touchdowns in four games for Saskatchewan in 2017. Saskatchewan went 3-1 when Richardson was in the lineup and he improved his yards-per-carry each time out. The last game Richardson played was against Montreal and the five-foot-nine, 225-pound back ran for 127 yards and two touchdowns.

Richardson, who was chosen No. 3 overall in the 2012 NFL draft by the Cleveland Browns, felt he was a free agent in April, but the team confirmed the running back remains under contract with the Riders.

Richardson rushed for 1,679 yards and 21 touchdowns for the University of Alabama Crimson Tide in 2011. After finishing third in the Heisman Trophy voting that season, behind Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck, Richardson ran for 96 yards and one touchdown to help Alabama win the BCS National Championship.

Richardson rose to stardom at Alabama so it makes sense he would want to play for the professional team in the state capital.

142 Comments on Trent Richardson wants to sign in the AAF but the Riders still own his rights

1. Show some class Jones & release him. He was a disappointment last season & wont be back to the CFL again.

• Jeff Garcia's Agent // July 27, 2018 at 12:07 pm //

How was he a disappointment? He got better each week, including a 127 yard, 2 TD effort in his last game.

If those results were disappointing, than your expectations were unreasonably high.

2. AAF is under no legal obligation to honour CFL contracts. End of story. Richardson can sign if he wants to.

• dangnabbit // July 27, 2018 at 11:49 am //

No but Richardson is obliged to honour his contract. One of the terms of the standard CFL contract is that the player commits not to join another team in Canada or the U.S. during the term of the deal. I imagine the league could force him into arbitration or even court proceedings to enforce that on him.

• richard // July 27, 2018 at 1:09 pm //

Can’t he just retire from the CFL and be done with the Riders?

• dangnabbit // July 27, 2018 at 1:32 pm //

He’d still be on Saskatchewan’s retired list until his contract was up. I don’t know the particulars of how retired and suspended status differ, but I have to imagine that dissatisfied players like Wilder would already use that loophole to hop to the NFL if it worked. Chad Johnson played in Mexico following his time with the Als because the contract only covers Canada and the U.S.

• That would be a terrible way to start. They will already have the NFL gunning for them, the last thing they need is to make a pariah out of their league from the get go. If they want their contracts respected, then they will honor the CFL. Or they won’t have a pot to piss in when the NFL robs them of players.

• habbernack // July 27, 2018 at 3:45 pm //

so any player could just leave and go play in the AAF next year?

• Garney26 // July 27, 2018 at 7:55 pm //

Not how contracts or laws work! SMH. If that was the case any player could leave a team and join another. Same goes in hockey you cant go to an NHL team if you are under contract in the KHL. Seriously

3. Hopefully Jones does the right thing and lets him go.
    Let him be free to go to an opportunity where he has a chance to thrive.

4. I don’t think it’s a Jones issue, the CFL fines teams for letting players out of their contract to go to the NFL (I think it was BC this year?). Presumably it is the same with players wanting to go to the AAF.

• Dave Slinn // July 27, 2018 at 5:44 pm //

They don’t fine teams for releasing players to pursue NFL contracts. BC was fined for term in his deal that was to allow Adam Bighill to pursue the NFL but if he returned he was to remain under contract with BC. That is not allowed ever since the NFL option deal ended – although they are discussing bringing that back, likely as a result of this past off-season.

• Garney26 // July 27, 2018 at 7:59 pm //

Technically Dave but at what point does become a slippery slope. The CFL doesn’t want teams releasing players from contracts period or all players will be asking for the same privilage. Also why would you put the effort into a player just to let him go makes zero sence. Again not in this case where the player isnt returning to the team as they suspended him.

5. Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 11:35 am //

“Do the right thing and let him go”? “Show some class and release him?” What the heck do you think this is? A professional football league? Or football player kindiegarten?

The Riders own Richardson’s rights. He’s a contracted player on the team. Jones doesn’t have to do anything other than what is best for his team. Releasing a player because he wants to check out the shiny new thing down south is hardly “doing the right thing”. The right thing is to sit Richardson down and tell him, in no uncertain terms, that he will report to work like he promised when he signed his contract.

Now, if Richardson decides to go down south and play in the AAF anyway (assuming the AAF doesn’t decide to honour other leagues’ contracts), then I guess that’s still Richardson’s prerogative, but Richardson does so at his own risk – meaning he can find himself without a paying job in either country.

• Rider fan // July 27, 2018 at 6:26 pm //

You say show some class what if BLM asked for the same. Do you say the same release the player. I bet you would think different if it was a high profile Stamp player

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 6:57 pm //

I don’t know if you were meaning to respond to me or to the someone else, Rider fan, so I’m not sure what your actual point is, here, but BLM’s situation with Calgary is completely different than Richardson’s situation with Saskatchewan. If Bo did ask for his release to play in another league, I would still back up the main point of my post, though, which is that the Stampeders would have to do what is best for the Stampeders organization, not what is best for the single player. What that is really depends on the situation leading up to the player asking for his release.

• Pino is right. Richardson is acting like a child, and the Riders have no obligation to release him from his contract that he agreed to. Why doesn’t he come and finish the year up here and then go play there in Feb? Just a thought.

• Pino on another note, is it true there is interest in BLM down south? I heard it on the radio today. Im not surprised, but whats his contract situation? And what are your thoughts on that? Does he stay as a bona-fide starter up here? Or go for a shot in the big league?

6. Howard Wulkan // July 27, 2018 at 11:38 am //

Why should Jones release him? How about Richardson shows some class and plays out the rest of his contract, signed in good faith on both sides? It’s only one more year, and then he can go on to play for whatever league he wants.

• True story

• Since when do CFL/NFL teams honor contracts? The team is allowed to break the contract at any time by releasing the player, with no compensation for remaining time and money.

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 2:39 pm //

Whether or not the team honours contracts (which, is really a misnomer – they DO honour the contract, but the contract probably has a clause that states that the team can release the player for any number of reasons) is irrelevant. Many contracts are one-sided. That’s something that every single CFL player already knows when they sign said contract (every agent makes that clear to every player – there’s really no excuse). Life isn’t fair.

Either you want to play football for a living, or you want to do something else. Richardson made his decision and has to live with it.

7. Stampeder Summer // July 27, 2018 at 11:42 am //

They way Jones has given him the run around, releasing him is the right thing to do.

• Glue Factory // July 27, 2018 at 11:44 am //

Ah, the misinformed

• So very happy for you to have yet another Rider thread to destroy with your usual bull sh*t.

Enjoy!

• GreenInCalgary // July 27, 2018 at 12:03 pm //

Please explain the “run around” Jones has given Richardson. This is another one of your “anecdotes” (lies).Perhaps your next online name should be Trump.

• Chris Jones has given everyone the run around

• GreenInCalgary // July 27, 2018 at 12:50 pm //

I know you don’t care about the truth, as you just want to lie to provoke others, but some times the record needs to be set straight. Jones gave Richardson a chance when no one else would and you, Area51 and the other morons who like to spew misinformation and hate on this site ridiculed Jones for doing so. Jones even stuck with him through a slow start. Now all of a sudden you are supporting TR? – no what you are really trying to do is make another baseless unwarranted attack on Jones.

• Who’s supporting him? I’m just saying holding on to a player you aren’t interested in playing should be released if he has another opportunity.
            Yes you are right– Jones gives chances to players when no one else will, and afterwards it’s very clear why no one would!!!

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 2:52 pm //

Releasing the player to “get another opportunity” includes giving that player the opportunity to go play for another CFL team. It makes zero sense to release a player unless you truly think that player isn’t capable of playing at a competitive level. In the case of Richardson, it sounds like the player can play, but he seems to be refusing to do so for whatever reason (or as someone else pointed out, due to an injury).

• Jeff Garcia's Agent // July 27, 2018 at 12:09 pm //

Everything you say is a lie.

• Ridersrule // July 27, 2018 at 2:49 pm //

This isn’t the stampeders we don’t give players the run around

8. Glue Factory // July 27, 2018 at 11:42 am //

Huffy needs to let BLM go. Its the right thing to do.

9. Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 11:45 am //

Interesting, Darian Durant & Drew Willy to name a couple QB’S may tryout for AAF, if what Adam said is correct. I’m sure the CFL has no more interest in them. Many more as well. As long as the teams don’t condone their departure.

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 12:01 pm //

If Durant and Willy actually manage to find a starting job in the AAF, I don’t think we really need to worry about that league poaching many good players from the CFL.

• Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 12:21 pm //

Agree pino, DD & DW are no longer CFL Worthy, therefore departing to the AAF will have no impact on them. Starters not likely, backups maybe. I don’t know how many teams in the AAF but only 5 would require 200++ players.
        Not all will be top quality. I for one won’t watch it.

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 12:25 pm //

I don’t even watch the NFL very often, other than Superbowl. But I’m sure plenty of others will watch AAF, just as they watched XFL and Arenaleague. People in the US love their football, so I’m sure we’ll get at least a few seasons out of AAF before we find out whether they are really going to be successful or will just be a flash in the pan.

• Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 12:42 pm //

Two & 1/2 years before the paychecks become NSF. I don’t watch NFL or the others that have come & gone at all. No interest.

• richard // July 27, 2018 at 1:15 pm //

8 Teams will have 50 players on each roster, with some selected by a territorial draft.

• If anyone can warch bo they most certaimly can watck aaf
          Wom

• Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 5:17 pm //

Tis me,??????
            I’ve warch Bo often, but I certaimly won’t watck aaf! And I’ve asked you constantly to stop calling me Wom
            lol.

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 5:37 pm //

Hey mow, bo am certaimly very warch-abull wem he am frowin da bawl too da reece-eaver. I no u am very mush warch bo mayke tutch-dewn wem him frowin too roj-ehrs or jor-dun. May bee bo is be sack by hooz or jefsun, amdden yoo warch and cheer. Booze too ya, Wom!

• Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 6:08 pm //

WOW Pino, happy hour is in full on. LOL

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 7:00 pm //

I got my Appleton’s. I got my Schweppes. I got my TSN. Yoooooo bet!

10. Paul Bomber // July 27, 2018 at 11:46 am //

I don’t see why the Riders would risk a fine from the league (and I can imagine the comments here under the headline “Riders, Jones fined for roster violations”). Especially to help the competition.
    More than ever, the CFL needs to act like a business first.

11. He should be willing to come up here, finish this season (and therefore complete his contract) and then he’d be ok to go to the AAF. Pretty simple really.

12. Stampeder Summer // July 27, 2018 at 11:52 am //

Riders have mistreated too many players……C’mon Jones…..do the right thing….let him go!

• NOt me…… why do you do this?

• Glue Factory // July 27, 2018 at 11:56 am //

Statements like this deserve a banning. But if the statements yesterday didn’t why would today’s. Ah Uncle Jerry sticky fingers. When will you learn

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 12:04 pm //

They don’t make ’em really bright where you come from, do they?

• Glue Factory // July 27, 2018 at 12:07 pm //

It wasn’t me. Someone must be using one of my many names that I can’t keep track of anymore

• Were’s my dolly mommy….opps did I type that!!

see how easy that is Glue Factory

• Glue Factory // July 27, 2018 at 12:17 pm //

Thanks for proving my point

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 12:21 pm //

Okay, seriously, whoever the hockeypuck you guys are, you need to take some time away from the internet. Go on a fishing trip or something. Just go away and rethink your life for a while. I hear Jordan Peterson is doing something newsworthy again, maybe read his book and become like a lobster and make your bed. Or something.

But seriously, if you are going to spend more time griping about the very existence of each other, go do it somewhere that adults don’t have to put up with you.

• Historic McMahon // July 27, 2018 at 10:26 pm //

Awesome watching you get owned yup

13. The AAF doesn’t start play until next year. Richardson could be a man, honor the contract HE signed and play out his time with the Riders before Birmingham training camp even starts.

14. Stampeder Summer // July 27, 2018 at 12:09 pm //

If Riders take him off suspended list, he probably wouldn’t play for them anyways.

15. I read that Chris Jones cannot release him without the approval of the CFL.

16. For starters he was suspended for failing to report to camp, but in all reality I don’t see the point of holding him hostage anymore. The riders have moved on from him anyway. It’s not like they were holding their breath waiting for him to decide to show up.

• Paul Bomber // July 27, 2018 at 12:25 pm //

I think you have to be a harda$$ about this or you risk setting a precedent. Not granting him his release is good for the whole league.
      Do what you have to (eg. bringing back the NFL window) but hold players to the contracts they sign.

• Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 12:33 pm //

RP, only reason I suspect would be to send a message to anyone who stage a walk out in the future. I believe all team do and should do, otherwise many more players will follow.

17. I guess. I just tend to have an attitude where if he doesn’t want to be here then to h*ll with him. I couldn’t care less about Trent Richardson is not like he was irreplaceable.

18. If you want to go that route most guys on every team can be replaced if need be. Aside from a select few obviously.

• That is true. That was the point I was trying to make

• Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 1:01 pm //

Stampeder summer, please take this for what it’s worth, I’m not trying to bust your balls but, when you tone it down, you have great insight and an interesting point of view of the game. Your too often over the top with your comments and tend to ride the Rider’s on every article. If you’re tired of people trolling you and worse people who impersonate you, you need to change your way. It will take time for people to trust you. I only say this in kindness. Light humor is most often welcomed. Please don’t take this the wrong way. Salute

19. Fair enough

20. The Calgary Stampeders will arrive BBI Airport around 12:30. You will not have access to the players through the terminal.
    Anyone looking for autographs or wanting to welcome the team are encouraged to stay away, YOU WILL NOT SEE THEM.

• Glue Factory // July 27, 2018 at 1:05 pm //

For those wondering, BLM is the one who can look north and south at the same time. And Dave is the one holding hands with John

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 1:53 pm //

Speaking of not making any sense. Who are you talking to and why are you talking about the Stamps arriving in Regina in this article?

Seriously, less is more.

21. Steven Fulton // July 27, 2018 at 1:06 pm //

I wouldn’t mind him back for the last part of this season, then release him right after the season so he can sign with Birmingham.

22. Pennyrocker // July 27, 2018 at 1:06 pm //

Richardson has nerve in asking for a release from Riders and show he is an arrogant sob I say screw him on any release. He figures he is better than coming up to Canada who gave him another chan e FL play football with the riders.

23. Rider4life // July 27, 2018 at 1:07 pm //

If people new what’s wrong with this situation they wouldn’t speculate as hes been out of commission with an ankle injury and been going three physical therapy on it the last 6 months. He was hoping to be back up here in Saskatchewan but still not healed up. Hes on suspend list but talks of release with the roughriders and CFL going on. He wanted to honor his contract but talk is being released now as wont bk able to play for a few months still. Jones is ready to release him but doesn’t want the fine for doing so as CFL and riders in talks. Oh and yes I’m friends with him and his family.

24. Colour me green // July 27, 2018 at 1:07 pm //

Richardson is sitting at home doing nothing. He should be playing now. He played well last year. At the end of this year his contract is up and he can go where ever. AAF will last 2 years and fold. He would be better off in CFL but that is his choice.
    He has a contract and should be made to fulfill it.

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 2:58 pm //

I’m not so sure the AAF is going to fold that quickly, if at all. From the sound of it, it has some pretty good backing, and it is avoiding some of the mistakes that the XFL made back in that day. The CFL brass will need to assume that the AAF is going to be around for the long haul and adapt to an environment where there will be less Americans looking for offseason football to appeal to.

The league needs to grow and re-grow its viewership in Canada if it is to survive another 100 years, and I think some of its focus in recent years has been lost to trying to gain a bigger foothold in the US, offseason NFL market.

25. HE could just wait till the day he becomes a FA and join the AAF. I am sure Birmingham would understand.

26. True Green // July 27, 2018 at 2:12 pm //

Let me get this straight in my mind: an article on a football player that played 4 games for the Riders last year, hasn’t played this year and won’t likely play again in the CFL, has prompted over 70 comments of which half or more are from Individuals who are not or who claim not to be Rider fans (ok truth, I’m pointing fingers at Stamps fans. Bombers fans get a pass).

OWNED.

Now I can see Rider fans civilly discussing this over a cup of the green Kool Aid as some Deadbeat above likes to regularly mention, but what possible reason is there for any kind of attention to this article in general from Stampeder fans?

• Such zeal in writing 2 paragraphs about Stampfans in an article that has nothing to do with the Stamps.
      Who’s owned?

• True Green // July 27, 2018 at 2:46 pm //

Zeal might be a little overboard there Jerry. But responding to my random post within 9 minutes certainly shows your Zeal for this article and Amy chance to seek attention.

I didn’t make the comment section into what it is, you get he credit for that. I simply pointed out that there’s more of you commenting on an article with very little impact to the league or the Riders that there are Rider fans commenting. Seems odd, but that is your MO.

• Ridersrule // July 27, 2018 at 3:02 pm //

Oh my you didn’t just say that . You constantly make rider reference on stories that clearly aren’t rider related . You clearly aren’t very bright .
        Shouldn’t you be docking with Mitchell before he leaves .

• Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 2:35 pm //

True Green, I see no reason why a football fan regardless of team affiliation should be restricted from posting on any article. Rider’s articles get the most views, can have some interesting conversation on a slow day.

• True Green // July 27, 2018 at 2:42 pm //

Stampeder and many others (on this site) of his team affiliation focus lots of negative attention on anything to do with the Riders, while other fans (hence my reference to bomber fans but I should have been inclusive of other teams) will legitimately discuss these articles. The same offender will turn almost any article or comment into a Rider bash no matter how obscure the comment.

You are absolutely right, and I comment on other articles as well. But i sure don’t obsess and focus on them, especially when it’s such a non story like this one. THere shouldn’t be a restriction. Just some civility. Everything doesn’t have to be a Jones or Carter bash fest. It takes away from what this site could be.

• 3 quarters of the stories are about the riders, and probably 3 quarters of those are negative. So what do you expect?
          Go back and see the rider fan comments on stories surrounding Tommy Campbell or Roy Finch. It’s no different

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 2:45 pm //

Can’t speak for other Stampeder fans, True Green, but this article is all about a CFL player wanting to break his contract and play in another league. While some myopic fans might think that this only affects the team whose name is on the front if this player’s jersey, others, like myself, thinks this is something that can have a wider effect on the CFL.

Please, before you decide to go and shout “OWNED” like a twelve-year old getting his first win at Fortnite, try to see things outside your own little box.

• True Green // July 27, 2018 at 2:56 pm //

Pino, I went back and re read your comments. And you are right, you provided great insight to an issue that does affect all teams and you didn’t stoop to unecessary bashing.

I shouldn’t let it happen, but often (and I hate putting it in writing because he gets off on this) Stampeder/Jerrys bashing comment said blur my opinion on what other Stamps fans have to offer.

Example from an article today about Montreal:
        “Look for Johnny next week. He has to play at some point. 1-5, this team is awful, how could any reputable organization lose to them, even on their worst day????”

He may or may not deny it but his reference is clearly to the only team to lose to the Als this year, the Riders.

He is hard to take day in and day out when one is trying to entertain themselves with legit CFL news and conversation.

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 3:09 pm //

Look, I know all that, and it is frustrating to me to have to be one of the people associated with that kind of negativism just because I happen to support the same sports team as that. But I see the other side of the coin, too. Even the part you quote, while undoubtedly meant to slag the Riders in a back-handed way, is really not that offensive a comment, but some people on here disproportionately lost their shit over it.

Not to mention the fact that Montreal historically has beaten Calgary at least once every season (even last season when Montreal was horrible and Calgary was the top team in the league), which makes that particular comment all the more silly to get worked up over.

I know he comments to get under your skin. The thing is, there are a lot of fans that let him. Every time. And now, even when he posts the most innocuous comments imaginable, this whole place devolves into the worst cycle of “I know you are but what am I” nonsense since Pee Wee’s Playhouse was a thing.

The constant calls to get him banned are more annoying than his own comments. By now people have to realize that he isn’t actually doing anything here that warrants a banning, and he plays on that edge very, very well. And even if he does get “banned”, that ban is pretty ineffective given the technology being used on this site. So in the end, you can’t do anything to control him, you can only control yourself.

I know it’s hard, but all you can really do is ignore him, or engage only in purely football conversations with him. Don’t bite the hook, and you’ll have a much better time. Pretty soon, the fisherman will move on to another hole. Deal with the stuff you actually have control over.

• True Green // July 28, 2018 at 1:40 am //

Pino and Blue, good advice. I’ve tried that successfully at times and, well, not at others. I’ve made many comments before that I respect the Stamps as an organization and I know dam well that Jerry is a shit ooor example of their typical fan. Thank you for the reminder.

My “Cancel reply” button gets used as often as the “post comment” button believe it or not. But I appreciate the reminder.

And by the way Blue, congrats on the win tonight. Demski is looking like a good pick up for Winnipeg.

• Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 3:38 pm //

True Green, “stampeder” gets power from getting under your skin (not you specifically). If everybody ignored him, he would go away. If his comments were respectful then communicate if not shut it down. I Know, can’t get everyone on board but all who do will send a message. I often start a scathing retort toward someone, only to delete it rather than to give them their satisfaction. I know easily said.

• Can’t tell you how many times I hit “cancel reply” today Blue 🙂 It does get exhausting having him obsess and derail EVERY Rider thread. Normal football pokes and jabs are healthy and expected. His garbage is unhealthy, and unwelcome.

On that note….not sure which “Blue” you support ? Either way, looking forward to the game tonight. Cheers!

• Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 4:08 pm //

LOL Yup, to be clear the best colour of blue, Blue Bombers, none of that cheap two tone stuff.
            Keep up with the delete reply click, nobody said it will easy but you will sleep better.
            Cheers only 4 1/2 hours to game time, happy hour stats much sooner! BTW spent last weekend in Saskatchewan near Humboldt attending a wedding with 300 Rider’s fans. Man that was fun, Rider’s won, Bomber’s won lots of fun jabs but respectfully dune from both sides.

• Oh gheeze..sounds like a whole Lotta fun. Although I don’t want your Bombers to win, I can’t bring myself to cheer for Toronto. Good luck tonight

27. It’s people like Stampede Summer who make the CFL look bush league and amateur hour. What a f*cking joke this site has become

• Stampeder Summer // July 27, 2018 at 2:44 pm //

So you suppose independent NFL sites are full of intellects and higher forms of conversation??

• Can’t believe I’m wasting my time on you, but here it is Stampede Summer. You are a loser and a very negative person. I feel sorry for your family and your life in general. This isn’t a dating site pal.

• Glue Factory // July 27, 2018 at 4:25 pm //

So you are saying what you are doing is ok? Then go to the NFL sites you are referring to.

28. Jim Bob // July 27, 2018 at 3:47 pm //

2 sided coin here. 1 side is Richardson a INACTIVE PLAYER with a CFL contract that is paying him NOTHING due to his situation. The other side of the coin simply shows a contract he would be PAID ON if he were on a injury list, a practice roster or as a active player. Since the latter is the case I would release him to sign in the AFL. Wonder if Bill Polian and Ambrosie have gotten together to HAMMER out a agreement of some kind so it is CLEAR CUT on both sides of the border on how a CFL and AFL contract is honored legally by both leagues.

29. Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 3:55 pm //

True Green & Pino, true story, I’ve stated occasionally on this site. I have two brothers, one is a die-hard Stamp’s fan, the other is a die-hard Rider’s fan, and just to make things interesting in my life, my youngest son is a die-hard Argo’s fan. Me, being a Bomber’s fan, had to learn to pick my battles. In my life it ALWAYS on. I would have it no other way.

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 4:04 pm //

I hear ya. Grew up in Edmonton, and parents were always huge Eskimos fans (and still are), but I was never really into football until much later in life (which is why I never became a huge Esks fan, but did watch them occasionally). Came to Calgary just over a decade ago and started getting into football here, and now I’m a huge Stamps fan and my parents are huge Eskimos fans.

We never pass up a chance to smack-talk one another, especially when “The Battle” is on.

30. Blue rules // July 27, 2018 at 4:15 pm //

Pino, nothing better than an in house dysfunctional playoff or Grey Cup game.

• Stampeder Summer // July 27, 2018 at 5:01 pm //

Yes Yup
      I get locked out of the house daily!!!!!

• Haha, I bet you do.

• Larry Clammon // July 28, 2018 at 9:25 am //

hey yup, you complain about stampy over and over and over, we all see it on this site. But, then you converse with him like in this article like he is a friend of yours. Which is it?? It seems to me you are in need of him just as much as he is in need of attention from this site.

31. MR. Green // July 27, 2018 at 4:22 pm //

It’s not that simple pleasures to just cut him now, Riders could feel the impact of Ambrosie’s wrath and be fined. Especially with this news.
    I don’t get why he wouldn’t just show up, his contract is done in February. Bases, he could get anyway. Word was from Nye, he didn’t expect him back his season. I have no issues releasing him.
    Not sure when they start camp. Getting Richardson would be big for that team as he still has many loyal fans from his Alabama college days. Having said that keep him on the suspndd list and don’t give the AAF any help. Richardson would sell tickets in that football crazy market. Crimson Tide fans follow every alumn. Most are local guys anyay. These fans are who the AAF is counting on. they have legit names already, another they have running things is Troy Polomolu(?).

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 6:11 pm //

It’s not that “simple pleasures”? I’m sure that’s autocorrect but.. damn man, what the heck do you talk about when you text people?

• Glue Factory // July 27, 2018 at 6:39 pm //

Off topic for a second. I see Law is off the roster for tomorrow. Any word on an injury? He’s a beast.

• Pino Nuwar // July 27, 2018 at 7:05 pm //

Yeah, I think he’s hurt again, unfortunately, but I’m not sure of what the details are of the injury, though.

• MR. Green // July 27, 2018 at 6:43 pm //

I know.lol. once I start tying I don’t always look back. Just cancel plaeasures. It’s a bad habbit. Happens often. I need a secretary.

32. There were hints Richardson was going to sign a couple of months before he finally did. My understanding was that he was balking at the 2 year contract. When he finally signed I thought he now understood it was for 2 years. In April supposedly he made some comments about now being a free agent which would indicate he didn’t understand 2 years. When he didn’t report for training camp the word was he was dealing with some personal issues. One poster has said he is still rehabbing an imjury.
    I was looking forward to seeing him play this year based on the improvement he was showing game to game. He seemed to be shaking off the rust. A bulldozer with speed.
    I believe the aafl training camp starts around Christmas and the season starts after the superbowl. Jones has been good about releasing players early but after the season when they are im the final year of their contract. He isn’t going to release him now because he would be fined and the player could sign with another CFL team.

33. Pennyrocker // July 28, 2018 at 10:37 am //

What gets me is someone stated Richardson is recovering from an ankle injury. If I am not mistaken this happened before the playoffs last year. Likely story in my books it is an excuse not to play. In that case don’t honor his release.

Is this what you call a strong will player or just another pansy a$$ who want everyone to feel sorry for him.