Wearing a live mic won’t change the way Mike Reilly plays quarterback.

The Edmonton Eskimos quarterback will have a live mic on when Reilly hosts the Toronto Argonauts on Friday, July 13. TSN has ramped up the live mic games to one per week and four per team from Week 3 to 20.

Back in October 2016, Jason Maas and Reilly ditched the live mics even though the Eskimos had agreed to put them on.

“Honestly, it was something that after we talked about it all week, I decided it was something that we didn’t feel comfortable with doing. That’s all I can really say about it,” Reilly told TSN’s John Lu after the game.

“When you’re on the field, you’re trying to play football and it turned into something that was going to be a big distraction and something that I felt was gonna hurt our football club. So, honestly, I tried to do what’s best for the team, best for me out here playing and that’s how the decision was made.”

Maas and the team were fined and Edmonton did end up wearing live mics in a November game against Toronto that same season. And it seems as though Reilly has come around on wearing the live mics.

“You just try to forget about that and pretend like it’s not there and whatever they’re going to mute out – if you put a mic on a guy in a game, football is a very physical, very violent game and emotions run high and they run hot on the field. And that’s the way that you’re going to play your best football,” Reilly said.

“You can’t worry about it, whatever ends up on air, that’s for other people to deal with, that’s the risk you run if you’re going to put live mics on people, so hopefully, they do a good job with the mute button on it. I’m not going to change the way I’m going to play.”

47 Comments on Reilly says TSN better ‘do a good job with the mute button’ for Eskimos live mic game

1. i dont know i dont like the live mic situation for the qb he has enough to worry about besides not giving away plays by accident or whatever it may be, keep the mics to the broadcasters and by the way, where is chris shultz

• Paul Bomber // July 13, 2018 at 2:38 pm //

I know why you don’t like them… because they’re distracting, annoying, make it impossible to watch the game with rug-rats while adding NOTHING to the broadcast.
      Shultz has been doing segments on the the local TSN radio station in Wpg here and there.

• MR. Green // July 13, 2018 at 2:55 pm //

The one game was so annoying. You had the live mic going and Rod Black talking at the same time. As for the mute button, not gonna happen. It’s a live mic game.

• Paul Bomber // July 13, 2018 at 3:02 pm //

They delay the broadcast 5-10 seconds so they have time to bleep things out, though they’re obviously too incompetent to do it successfully.
          However, obscuring Rod Black, even partially, is a good argument for the live mic… but then fingernails on a blackboard would work too as far as covering up Rod (say anything) Black.

• you remember rod black doing our sports on cky about 30 years ago, i think its long overdue time for him to retire hes almost as obnoxious as that sylvia kuzyk was, sometimes you have to know when to give it up, half the stuff he says isnt even relevant to tdays game anymore, hes tne next bob cole lol!

• ok thx paul 🙂

2. I don’t think the live microphone adds much to the game – just adds a lot of grunting, groaning, heavy breathing and swearing. If I want to listen to that, I will go visit my mother-in-law!

3. Anthony Kaduck // July 13, 2018 at 2:25 pm //

Live mikes on the QBs haven’t added any value so far. All you typically hear are the hieroglyphics they use to call plays. Live mikes on the coaches are a bit more interesting. However I would happily trade them for more ref-cam games.

4. they should just have qb cam games you cant see not hing but what the qb sees lol

5. fannotacoach // July 13, 2018 at 2:39 pm //

If you want the mic’s for entertainment, put them on the trash talkers! The QB’s mic’s are pure gibberish to all but his team.

6. Garcia98 // July 13, 2018 at 2:41 pm //

Eliminate the live mic, doesn’t add value. My vote is to adopt drone overhead camera shots. In the old days there were live cameras from blimps (as recent as 15 years ago), loved it. Drones would do just fine and can easily be flown/maneuvered within the current stadiums. Keep the ref cam as well.

• Gainer1 // July 14, 2018 at 9:35 am //

Liability would never allow drones. They can cause too much damage to someone in the stands.

7. Russ Green // July 13, 2018 at 2:42 pm //

I hate the miked up games. Picking up players’ comments is fine, but at least 90% of it is the QB calling signals and that has absolutely no meaning for the fans!

8. Paul Bomber // July 13, 2018 at 2:50 pm //

so… they always talk about the difficulties pros (as in… people who have dedicated their lives to football since starting college) have when they have to learn new language, codes and schemes when starting a new team.
    What do the marketing fools from TSN expect simple schmucks like us to get out of it besides annoyance?
    SWEAR YOUr FOOL HEAD OF REILLY! MOSS? YOU LIVE IN A BI-LINGUAL COUNTRY… TIME TO WORK ON YOUR FRENCH CURSES!
    TSN? Remember: swearing in football is “appropriate”… it’s just your broadcasting that’s inappropriate.
    (and while I’m ranting… I never really appreciated Chris Shultz until they stuck us with Henry Burris)
    …. where are my nitro-pills?

• Blue rules // July 13, 2018 at 4:56 pm //

Chill Paul, Saturday will come soon enough, eat a snickers, your just not you, when your hungry for football

9. I kind of enjoy listening to the coaches, but hearing the QB is useless.

• Puck Hog // July 15, 2018 at 9:48 am //

Ya, I like the coaches comments, too. And I don’t mind listening to the QBs in the huddle. We might not understand the jargon, but it gives the viewer an opportunity of having a glimpse of the goings-on in a pro game. I am glad TSN is trying things like this and ref-cams to keep relevant to the game.

10. Paul Bomber // July 13, 2018 at 2:56 pm //

I’m taking one for the team, so to speak:
    Not going to watch the game tonight because of the live mic. Just deleted the game from the pvr.

11. RicoBeBlue&Gold // July 13, 2018 at 2:57 pm //

The live mike is brutal, adds nothing. The ref cam is cheesy and Shultz is Paul. All that said, buck up Mike all the teams are getting pressed into it.

• Paul Bomber // July 13, 2018 at 3:09 pm //

“Shultz is Paul” … huh?
      (couldn’t grow a stache like that if my life depended on it. Or Shultz and I are also cheesy?)

And the teams may have no choice, but if the fans force TSN to can that crap, they will. They’re betting $40 million a year on the fact we’ll watch games. If people are tuning out the live mic games, TSN will drop it.

• RicoBeBlue&Gold // July 13, 2018 at 3:25 pm //

No No, Paul. You are one of the sane posters here. The Shultz/Paul thing was a old Beattles reference. I hate the gimmicky crap TSN is pushing on the teams and fans but they are going to do it and unless ALL teams and fans say something It’s going to happen. It may be my sanity in question so pay me no mind. 😉

• Paul Bomber // July 13, 2018 at 4:10 pm //

phffttt! No worries… all good
          (and I’m of the vintage I should have caught the reference)

• where do i apply to be one of the sane posters? do i apply to many handles Stampede? is he taking the applications

12. Tiger man // July 13, 2018 at 3:07 pm //

“Reilly says TSN better ‘do a good job with the mute button’ for Eskimos live mic game”

Especially if Maas has another one of his classic tantrums…

13. Totally agree with Mike Reilly ….it gets really distracting for the viewer with play calls and the announcer talking, plus horns blowing fans yelling….it was fine the way it was.

14. It would be an expression of appreciation to see and hear Kate and Shultz doing commentary.

Again she showed why Steigel and Dunnigan should be retired .

15. Eskssuck // July 13, 2018 at 3:40 pm //

Waaaaa. Typical of the Esks organization. Cry cry cry. Every other team has to do it so suck it up buttercup

• Paul Bomber // July 13, 2018 at 4:17 pm //

Depends on how you look at it – yes, Moss can be a cry baby and it was sad (and I commented on it) when they refused to wear it for one game and then Moss refused to talk w/the mic on for the next time … but that said, I sort of feel like they’re speaking up for me. And every coach and every quarterback hates it… just that Edm is the only to speak up … or whine, depending on your point of view. (although I’ve heard O’Shea say he hates it on his coach’s show)

• MR. Green // July 13, 2018 at 5:06 pm //

I’m looking forward to listening in on Mass. He’s entertaining. I don’t mind the guy at this point. Sure he destroyed a head set, no big deal, that’s in the past. Just because a guy is a little emotional and passionate doesn’t deserve the hate. I’m sure all of us have overrecated at times, especially playing sports.

• Evil Empire // July 13, 2018 at 4:55 pm //

STFU troll.

16. Can’t stand live mic. I feel for QB’s who are faces of the franchise. They have enough to concentrate on without having to worry about profanities that hurt their image or league image and the fact that verbiage is being changed and even play call wording is being changed the week of these games. I am sure these games are being studies for verbiage tip offs. Can’t imagine offenses are calling plays by concept names as these would be pretty easy to be translated.

17. Say what you want about live mics like it or hate it, rating are up for those games .

18. I love the live mics. Y’all are tripping. Enhances the viewing experience for all football fans.

19. Chris Schulz is doing colour commentary for Argo games, too bad I was starting to like him… LOL
    If my voice means anything I’m not big on the mic’ed up games either.

20. The 2 best QBs in the league playing tonight

21. Ok, but what about watching the game with young children? I don’t want my kids hearing all that cussing. If the CFL wants to attract the next generation, this does not encourage me to watch rhe game with my kids and rhus passing my love for the CFL on to my kids. Something is missing here; I don’t think this has been thought through thoroughly.