Redblacks LB Kyries Hebert believes the league is watching him closely

Lisa Wallace, Canadian Press

Redblacks linebacker Kyries Hebert returns to the Ottawa lineup after serving his one-game suspension for a hit on Calgary’s DaVaris Daniels Thursday night against the Stampeders.

Stamps quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell believes Hebert needs to take the dirty hits out of his game.

“It’s Kyrie’s thing. He’s been like that the entire time he’s been in the league,” Mitchell told Postmedia’s Danny Austin. “I don’t dislike the guy, but when it’s your M.O. and you do it again… it’s not how football should be played.”

The veteran linebacker has no plan to change his style of play.

“I’ve had over 800 career tackles and I’ve been in trouble five times maybe, so the ratio is not like it’s an every play incident where I have a play that’s illegal,” said Hebert.

“I want to clean it up, the most important thing is our team and for me to be available to them.”

Hebert knows he has little room for error.

“They’re (the league) going to keep a closer eye because I’m me,” Hebert said.

23 Comments on Redblacks LB Kyries Hebert believes the league is watching him closely

1. Paul Bomber // July 11, 2018 at 4:37 pm // Reply

“Oh poor me! End a couple of careers (don’t forget Lumsden!) and spear a few people a year and all of a sudden you’re the bad guy…wah-wah-wah”
    you ARE the bad guy. Retire already… and take Thorpe with you if that’s how he’s going to coach up his team! gahhh!!!

2. Stampeding // July 11, 2018 at 4:45 pm // Reply

A number of years ago Calgary punter Burke Dales and another Stamp player, beat the tar out of Wade Miller- another dirty player.
    Perhaps the same will happen to Kyries.

3. No they are going to keep a close eye on you because you need to clean up your act…plain and simple!

4. Pennyrocker // July 11, 2018 at 6:31 pm // Reply

Play dirt be watched plain and simple. Course for someone with a simple mind this could be hard

5. Debbie Pratt // July 11, 2018 at 6:51 pm // Reply

Well if he says he’s NOT changing his ‘style’, well dirty bird be prepared to be watched and maybe sit a bit more…

6. Just saying // July 11, 2018 at 8:55 pm // Reply

Just like we’re watching for the next stampeder domestic violence charge, kidnaper or druggie !

7. Pennyrocker // July 11, 2018 at 10:14 pm // Reply

What Sheetz was a good player caught with drugs in Estivan.

8. Evil Empire // July 11, 2018 at 10:56 pm // Reply

If I was the Commish, and via the head of officiating, I would make it crystal clear.

One official is to watch Hebert on every single play. No matter how borderline a call may be. If Hebert sneezed on a receiver past the 5 yd mark…Flag him. If he so much as comes close to taunting, or unsportsmanlike conduct on the field…Flag him. Anything even close to Unnecessary Roughness, or any other Major Penalty… 15 yd penalty. Or if it’s even remotely justified. A 25 yd penalty, and ejection. If the crown of his helmet so much as grazes an opposing player…Flag him. 25 yd penalty, ejection, and maximum suspension. Which due to the CFLPA seems to be only one game. Anything more, and there’s an appeal. During which time the guy gets to keep playing. And an arbitrator will knock it down to just one game, anyway.

The main point being. Flag everything even close to being a penalty. If the guy racks up 100 yds/game in penalties, every single game. I figure his time in the league is pretty much done. That’s a MAJOR liability to any team. And for more trouble than it’s worth.

These are EXTREME measures, I admit. But, he’s an EXTREME case. He is not a clean, hardnosed, smash mouth kind of guy. He is dirty to the core, imo. He almost seems to have a pathological need to intentionally try to injure players. I’ve never seen another CFL player like him.

He has NEVER even attempted to clean up his game. And, he should be gone. Since his first blatant cheapshot in the CFL. I’ve believed that if someone were to die, due to injury in a CFL game. He would be involved. What Hebert does is not accidental. Imo, it’s intentional… And borders on criminal.

The game is inherently dangerous enough already. Hebert makes it exponentially more so. I want him gone before he kills somebody.

• Paul Bomber // July 12, 2018 at 9:07 am // Reply

It would never happen, but I wish it could.
      One thing of interest you noted/could you clarify: Are you saying 1-game suspensions can (no longer) be appealed? I know everyone and their dog were appealing every single suspension in the not-so-distant past and I didn’t think a new collective agreement was in the mix, so as usual, I’m confused.

9. I am not making excuses for the guy, but really- this is getting out of hand. If you include all his tackles as a pro, less than one percent would be dirty. He deserved his punishment from two weeks ago. I find it odd that Nick Lewis became a media darling and fan favorite in his later years when he was notoriously dirty with his cut blocks to players’ knees, especially from a lateral position or when they were engaged. Anyone remember Lewis ending Kelly Wiltshire? Or does the court of public opinion only care about Hebert?

• Excellent point!

• Paul Bomber // July 12, 2018 at 9:27 am // Reply

There’s a couple of things – one thing is the game is changing and there’s more consideration of the long-term health of players, especially keeping in mind what we’re just starting to learn about concussions & cte. PLUS, Hebert’s hits are more dangerous and consistently dangerous. And, respectfully, I gotta question your 1% number. I’m not sure where you got that from, but it seems to me that every game he has at least 1 questionable hit and outright dangerous hits 4-5 times a year – much more than 1%. He’s ended careers (plural). I don’t know of a single career Lewis ended and I don’t think he’d get away with as many of those crack-back blocks now either.
      If it were 1985, we wouldn’t be discussing any of this, Hebert would be considered a stud – but he’s a caveman and needs to go away.
      I truly believe that if we don’t look after the health of players, lawsuits and bad press will eventually kill the league.

10. Hebert is a maroon. AJ Gass was a maroon. The game is tough enough without the cheap shot thugs. Rick Galbos of the Stamps hit Tom Pate of the Cats with a clean, normal block. Pate died as a result of the innocent hit .Galbos played the game the way it should be played and a player died. Football is a tough game under normal circumstances .Get Hebert out of the game before he kills somebody with his total disregard/respect for his opponent and his family.

• Paul Bomber // July 12, 2018 at 9:41 am // Reply

The guy most likely to die or become paralyzed is Hebert himself – the lead with the head? A little twist or a slip or a trip and he’ll snap his neck with one of his spears.

• Please …don’t tease us like that….

And if that did occur then Karma would indeed be a wonderful thing…

11. Paul- Wiltshire was ended from a blind side cut by Lewis. Look at film if you can. Lewis had questionable blocks nearly every game. He also was great at cracks which have since become an infraction. My 1 percent stat isn’t hard science but look at his career over 18 years and even look at his college stats. Over 1000 tackles, not even including assisted tackles. How many flags has he got? I agree the three or 4 in the past few years deserve to fouls. I am not saying otherwise. What I am saying is that this childish outcry for his removal from his career is ridiculous. We operate in a free market. If all nine GMs feel he is unemployable, he will be out of football. I am about the same age as Hebert and was coached to play the same way he does. Every coach I had preached hit to hurt. These hits were not considered dirty until recently. I think he is stubborn for admitting he won’t change his style. He will continue to get fined and/or suspended and will end up being out of a paycheck and/or job. But I still cannot cry out that he is dirty or a coward as some have said. I wonder how many people would call him a coward to his face? I believe this is sensationalism at its finest for CFL media and trolls. I know most on here disagree with my point of view but I guarantee a majority of 38 year olds who have been doing their job a certain way and experienced tremendous success and accolades would also be resistant and maybe even some would be incapable of changing. If the game has passed hebert by, let the GMs decide, not the court of public opinion.

12. And they wouldn’t have to if Herbert played a clean game.

His problem is ENTIRELY self-inflicted.

13. Tiger man- you see the game yesterday? I saw some boarderline hits buts didn’t see Hebert involved. But by now, you are likely on to the next popular media story.