Redblacks LB Hebert fires back at former Stamps RB Jon Cornish

Former Calgary Stampeders running back Jon Cornish called on the Ottawa Redblacks to cut linebacker Kyries Hebert after the latest in a long line of on-field transgressions.

Hebert shot back on Wednesday before he returns from suspension to face the Calgary Stampeders Thursday night in Ottawa.

“It’s not something I care about, no. I saw Cornish had a tweet but it was kind of soft, which is how I always treated him on the field. Whatever, I’m here to support my team and my family and the fans of (Redblacks nation), that’s who I care about,” Hebert told Postmedia reporter Danny Austin.

The CFL suspended Hebert for one-game after his hit on Stamps receiver DaVaris Daniels. Hebert has a couple of other dirty hits on his official record, including one involving Cornish, he’s well known throughout the league as a headshot artist and dirty player. The 37-year-old was ejected and received the maximum fine for a headshot on Cornish that left the Calgary running back with a concussion in 2014.

Hebert was also fined the maximum allowable (which amounts to half his game cheque) last August after a similar hit on then-Argos quarterback Cody Fajardo.

Cornish also included the #MeToo hashtag in his Tweet, which is associated with women speaking up regarding sexual violence.

That’s likely in reference to an incident of domestic violence in 2006 when Hebert pled guilty to two misdemeanours in Texas after initially being charged with aggravated assault for allegedly holding his wife’s head underwater in a bathtub and threatening to kill her during a dispute over a cell phone bill.

After his wife declined to go to trial, Hebert was sentenced to two years probation, $1,200 in fines and 80 hours community service. He also joined a domestic abuse counselling group.

Though it’s unlikely the Redblacks will let Hebert go, Cornish’s Tweet is another step in ridding the game of dangerous hits: players holding other players publicly accountable for their actions.

85 Comments on Redblacks LB Hebert fires back at former Stamps RB Jon Cornish

1. Calgary Beer is Buffalopiss // July 11, 2018 at 6:45 pm // Reply

STAMPENDING… Where are you? Let me guess you cant bash anything here so your not the 1st person

2. Huff's Neighbor // July 11, 2018 at 7:04 pm // Reply

Cornish is not one to comment on other’s behaviors. Hebert reminds me a lot of Ronny Lott. Hits really hard, tries to hurt you, not injure you. But I am on board with setting this guy free. He seems to be the last of the dying breed of head shot artist. Time for him to move along.

3. I could not agree more with Cornish, get this piece of garbage or(s#%t) out of the league before he kills someone. If the commissioner is serious about safety this Clown would already be out of the league!

4. Hebert is an old dude who hasn’t changed the physicality in his game to meet today’s legal standard. I liked watching him in his first CFL stint and NFL where he had some productive seasons on special teams. From the old standard of football violence- he was not considered a cheap shot or dirty player. His aggressiveness and physicality are what made him exceptional. No doubt, he has had some questionable hits in recent years. The one a couple weeks ago deserves to be penalized and yeah, I agree suspension was justifiable. But I get so sick of so-called football fans declaring certain players dirty. Hebert is low hanging fruit for media clowns who know little about the game of football. I wish real fans who watch entire games would speak up. I get most who comment probably only watch the highlight on sportscenter or social media. Again, I am not making excuses for headshots- I believe deeply in player safety. However, Cornish is out of line to say Hebert should lose his career.

• I am sure John Cornish has a sound knowledge of football violence, he is an insider and yet, you claim to know more than Cornish,BigGus.As a result, you failed to convince me that the old dude, Herbert, is nothing more than a liability to the league.

5. Stumpeater // July 11, 2018 at 7:46 pm // Reply

Wow things are chaotic in the stampede city. Hufnagel needs to speak to all of the trouble the last few days. This cannot be ignored. Sad group, past and present. I’m sure Wally is happy to be outta that circus.

6. Stampingexcrement // July 11, 2018 at 8:04 pm // Reply

Cornish’s unprofessional activities on the field, sidelines and in society dictate that this fool has not moral high ground to comment on anyone in the CFL, presently nor in the past.

7. Green Apples // July 11, 2018 at 8:14 pm // Reply

Cornish runs along the sidelines now carrying a flag at Stampeder games. He clearly still has a need to try and be in the limelight. He’s certainly in no position to delve into league matters.

8. Green&Gold // July 11, 2018 at 8:31 pm // Reply

Social media is getting out of control

9. True Green // July 11, 2018 at 8:36 pm // Reply

I love the hard hitting game. But examples need to be made. The rules should be stiff. Strike 1, some kind of punishment. Strike 2, double punishment. Strike 3 you’re out. Have the CBA create a small panel required to support the leagues decision for all three. There can be cases of unfair decisions and it should be left up to the players, to some extent, to police this.

• Green&Gold // July 11, 2018 at 8:41 pm // Reply

3 games to start and that team can only dress 43 for those games. The coaches might have to have some serious talks with the players

• Blue canoe // July 11, 2018 at 9:05 pm // Reply

That would be interesting. Especially if the 1 less player is the position of the suspended player.

10. Just saying // July 11, 2018 at 8:51 pm // Reply

Stick him in the stamps alumni jail cell and let them take care of it.

11. Evil Empire // July 11, 2018 at 9:11 pm // Reply

Elite CDN RB aren’t something that just grow on trees all over the country. Starting back in the day, possibly with Normie Kwong. They were pretty few, and far between. And no matter which team these guys played for. I personally, took pride in seeing CDNs that were elite in a traditionally Import position. Cornish may have been an arrogant prick. But, that’s becoming almost the norm in sports these days. And, I always wanted to see the best guys playing. Not standing on the sidelines injured. And most certainly not injured by a douchebag cheapshot artist.

He was forced out of the game before his time. And Hebert was a huge contributing factor. As a fan of CFL Football, that pissed me off. I’m no fan of Cgy. But, I am a fan of our game. And I want Hebert gone. How many times has he done this ? Too freaking many. This is what he INTENDS to do. He’s not an overzealous CLEAN player. He is one of the dirtiest CFL players that the league has ever seen. And I’m just glad he’s never been an Eskimo. The CFLPA is a joke. Funny that they would rather protect the bad guys amongst their membership. Than the majority of guys just trying to make a living. Hebert needs to go.

There are some serious assholes that post comments on this site.

• Man – you got that right about all the @-holes who post here.

Hebert is a good football player but a dirty cheap-=shot artist; and the Stumps should take matters into their own hands here – for pay-back on Cornish and the recent hit; have a couple of O-linemen grab Hebert, hold him up, and give him a good shot in the ribs and yap and then hold him down and face wash him with a stinky glove; worth the penalty or suspension to teach the punk and lesson and send a message league wide.

• Cornish was a prick….and a big talent. When he wasn’t playing against my team, I liked to watch him dance.
      Hebert, on the hand, is just a prick, and I can’t stand to watch that douche-bag deliberately trying to injure opponents.

12. Is it just me or does this article have a slander law suite all over it? “Well known throughout the league as a head shot artist and dirty player……..” 2 Weeks max until there is a suite filed against the writer, 3down and manyhandles, just because he has kept this rag up and running for the last 6 months.

• I was thinking the exact same thing.

• It’s only slander if it’s not true. No case here.

(Well, to be technical, it’s also only slander if it is spoken. Written defamation would be called libel.)

• He just got suspended and fined for a terrible headshot by the league.You are more likely the slanderer but you are allowed your opinion, Wideout, even if inflammatory, on this article.

• I am not sure how one files a “suite?” Especially if it is a penthouse in Trump tower?

13. TheLastArgoFan // July 11, 2018 at 9:44 pm // Reply

Couldn’t agree with Cornish more.

And yes, I watch the complete games.

14. Stampeding // July 11, 2018 at 9:55 pm // Reply

As I say
    Hebert’s day is coming. Calgary is loaded with a couple big full backs…….. just saying.
    Cornish has every right to be mad, but it’s nice to see the Jealousy of rider fans shining through. You’ve never had a Canadian that good.

15. The only thing that made Browner a Stampeder instead of a rider is the same thing that makes Alex Singleton a Stampeder instead of a rider; competent and sound scouting methods and practices.

16. Move along crybaby cornish…Hebert got the best of you

17. It was always good for a laugh when Jon Cornish would get stage fright in the playoffs and completely disappear.

The 2012 Grey Cup…the 2013 WDF…even the 2014 Grey Cup when Calgary managed to pull of a miracle, Cornish was an invisible non-factor.

Cornish will always be remembered for that hysterical breakdown he had on the sideline after that game screaming at his beard and desperately trying to convince her “I was a decoy! They used me as a decoy!”

18. Hebert is not like Ronnie Lott but maybe Jack Tatum who put a guy in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. He is on very thin ice in my opinion and better play safely and by the rules or his CFL career will come to a halt very quickly.

19. Casee Printerz // July 11, 2018 at 11:35 pm // Reply

Cornny was a machine in his prime but now its over…you dont hear former greats like Calvillo Ricky Ray and others crying about getting crushed…man up johnny and go away

20. Casee Printerz // July 11, 2018 at 11:55 pm // Reply

Dont matter the hit…cornish hen is a whiner…get over the hit jonny

21. Go watch Lott highlights or Steve Atwater or Sean Taylor or even John Lynch. By today’s standards- many of their celebrated big hits would be penalized. Game has changed. I was not making excuses for Hebert. Simply stating a fact- old guy who hasn’t adapted his style. His first 14 years, I could be wrong, but I don’t recall him being called a dirty player. That’s what gets me. His style hasn’t changed over his career, but the game has. What Hebert was celebrated for in the first half of his career is now vilifying him.

22. Hebert plays like a coward. Hits guys high when they are defenseless. Like a thug who sneaks up from behind & sucker punches a victim in the head. He has no respect for the players he plays against.

23. Trips- give it a rest with your hyperbole.

24. Wonder in Corncob made the trip to Ottawa? Would make Thursday Night Football interesting

25. In addition to disappearing in big games, Cornish was always a whining little puss.

Anyone remember when he tried to twist John Chick’s ankle after the play was over?

And then after he got KTFO’d by Hebert – – which was actually a great hit – – he’d pretend to be “injured” anytime Calgary played Montreal.

Cornish and Shomari Williams were the softest players in CFL history.

• Area, when you watch the play between cornish and hebert that is not a great hit. That is a closeline to the side of the head which makes no sense. Now if he would have hit him in the shoulder with that force then yes great hit. I am no fan of Cornish for his moon incident at the old stadium.
      Stampede, you just never give up. The riders had Messam before the stamps did so don’t say we never had a great Canadian Running Back. As for your moving on from Chick, Willie Jefferson has been a great pickup for the Riders.

• Stampeding // July 12, 2018 at 9:51 am // Reply

Give me a break….we are not the same person.

Yes the riders had Messam, but Calgary was able to utilize better than any other team. Besides, as good has we was (yes was),we was not on the Jon Cornish level.
        Willie Jefferson?? We was an Eskimo originally, not home grown!
        Were’s the home grown talent?????!!!!!!

• Green Apples // July 12, 2018 at 10:04 am // Reply

You’re very jealous of the Rider franchise, the loyal fan base and of course the brand which is number 3 in Canada behind only the Maple Leafs and Canadians. The Stampeders are owned by the Flames and do not have a fan base or a brand that anyone can be proud of.

• Ben Heenan, Brendan Labatte, Dan Clark, Moore, Rob Bagg, Roosevelt, Dressler, Ese Mrabure, Sheets, Durant, Chick,

Some retire, some move on and some are let go. Just like the Stamps.

Since the new Salary Cap era began in 2006 the winners have been BC – 2, Sask – 2, Calgary – 2, Montreal – 2, Toronto – 2, Ottawa – 1, Edmonton – 1,

Calgary has been there 5 times and the Riders 4.

Regular season wins are great but getting that Ring is what truly matters and so far we are evenly matched.

• Stampeding // July 12, 2018 at 10:59 am //

Yes thank-you for your list of a few stars.

So you point out that 7 of the 8 or 9 teams have won in the newcap era. Riders look to be in common territory. While you’ve won 2, you’ve also missed the playoffs 3 times.
            You fail to mention your 2 cups came with cap violations! The cap era as shown the riders willingness to cheat.

• Check your facts, boyo.

Brendan LaBatte was poached from the Bombers – – NOT developed by the Riders.

• jeffnot24 // July 12, 2018 at 12:11 pm //

replace Labatte with Demski, forgot we gave Mrabure a chance to start instead of a Lions practice roster. Fantuz can be added to the list.

Don’t call me Boyo, guy!

• Stampeding // July 12, 2018 at 12:43 pm //

Demski!!!????
            He’s a house hold name???
            The guy has been average at best!

26. lol
    Neither was Mrabure.

27. Keyser Söze // July 12, 2018 at 5:41 pm // Reply

Cornish is old news. Next please.

28. Herbert is the ONLY person who believes he’s not a dirty player…other than his boss and teammates…

But, hey…what else are they going to say…..

29. manyhandles is so ignorant! yes, the Riders went over the cap one year, by something like 80K, and only a few k another year….the 80k represents, roughly, the salary of one low-level player…and the Riders had more injuries that year than anyone in the league. They were almost forced over the cap just to put 24 healthy bodies on the field. So quit your incessant whining already.