Former Stamps DB Brandon Browner charged with attempted murder

Prosecutors say former CFL and NFL defensive back Brandon Browner has been charged with trying to kill his ex-girlfriend after breaking into her Southern California home.

Browner was arrested Sunday east of Los Angeles.

He played four seasons with Calgary from 2007 to 2011, registering 12 interceptions while being named a three-time CFL all-star. He was also a member of Calgary’s 2008 Grey Cup-winning team. He won Super Bowls with the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots.

The LA County District Attorney’s Office says the 33-year-old was charged Tuesday with attempted murder, first-degree residential robbery and other counts. It wasn’t immediately clear if he has a lawyer. Arraignment is scheduled for July 30.

Prosecutors say Browner broke into the apartment, chased and dragged the woman and then tried to smother her in a carpet. Prosecutors say he also stole a Rolex watch valued at about $20,000.

Browner is from nearby Pomona and played for Oregon State University before signing with the Seahawks in 2011.

-CP

39 Comments on Former Stamps DB Brandon Browner charged with attempted murder

1. Oh my.

2. Paul Bomber // July 11, 2018 at 1:30 pm // Reply

Holly Crap!! I wonder …. CTE?
    Big dude… must have been terrifying for his ex.

• Like Hernandez for the Patriots. He had CTE.

He was an awesome player, especially with the Seahawks. Him and Sherman ripped it up. Most penalized player in the NFL.

3. Like I said when this story first broke they can lock this guy up til he’s old and grey. An embarrassment to every team he ever played for from Pop Warner to the Patriots. I wish they could take his name off the Grey Cup he won with the Stamps.Adios Brandon, see you in 20 years.

• Paul Bomber // July 11, 2018 at 1:59 pm // Reply

I really just remember him as a dominant shut-down DB with Calgary and that he went South. Don’t think I’ve heard of any stories on his personal life until the last day or so. Curious what you base your opinion on? (not picking a fight! genuinely curious)

• Paul Bomber // July 11, 2018 at 2:07 pm // Reply

so… obviously, the guy is some kind of freak – – however that happened, but “embarrassment on every team he’s played on” comment… like this doesn’t really shock you or anything.

• riderontheisland // July 11, 2018 at 5:48 pm // Reply

The only things I heard until recently were his PED suspensions. I think he had 2 while in the NFL so this may be related to that.

4. Cannot believe no mention of playing in the CFL…

5. It’s not going to be a problem, this team is just too strong. Another blow out Stamps win!! Stamps 50 – Ottawa 3
    The D will shut down Harris and BLM will pick apart that makeshift Ottawa defense. It will be over by half time.

6. Innocent until proven guilty.

• That is a loser comment. A comment you would not have made if it was attempted murder against a man.

• Komodo Dragon // July 12, 2018 at 9:49 am // Reply

Dude you wouldn’t be saying innocent until proven guilty if he had been a Rider. You would have been the 1st comment and already have a 20 foot crucifix assembled with a deep hole to lift it into. Your words would be scorching and self deprecating and self satisfying. That’s why people can’t stand you Dude. Your a menace and a real wart on far too many articles.
      Time to grow up, stop and those who come after you will stop.

7. GreenInCalgary // July 11, 2018 at 2:04 pm // Reply

Fellow Rider fans, we need to learn to just ignore this guy.

• Huff's Neighbor // July 11, 2018 at 2:21 pm // Reply

So true. It’s my own fault for being riled in by someone so dense they would sink in granite. Sadly there are a macrocosm or current society where it is fine to dish on someone you don’t know, anonymously from the safety of their mother’s basement. I read and reply to a few blogs, and this site has by far the worst examples of low life attitude and disdain for fellow Canadians than any other out there. I will take your advise, but it’s really hard with the loser paraphrases your words and adds in their own twisted hatred as if you agree. I swear there is a clinical term for such behavior. I just know it as loser with a capital L.

• riderontheisland // July 11, 2018 at 5:52 pm // Reply

Green guy, I’ve been clean for weeks now and man it feels good. Him and the 51jack*ss are no longer part of my responses. The down side is I don’t get to comment a lot because they usually get in there first and start an argument which gets 30 responses and I just leave.

8. Just saying // July 11, 2018 at 2:22 pm // Reply

My question is for a guy that played in the nfl has a Super Bowl ring, why would he need to steal a watch? Did he spend all his money?

9. Huff's Neighbor // July 11, 2018 at 3:43 pm // Reply

It’s seems pretty clear given the rash of Stump players having run ins, or run away from the law that the Stumps breed anger in their players. Probably has to do with McDump and Dickie boy being what and who they are.

10. Sounds like CTE characteristics, so sad! Too bad no one saw something different in his behavior prior to these actions. Yes there is no magic pills but dementia medications can treat some of the symptoms.

11. Stampeding // July 11, 2018 at 3:58 pm // Reply

Maybe when you spent time in heaven everything else feels like hell.

• I would agree, spending time in Seattle and then the Boston area would make Calgary seem like hell in comparison.

12. Wow sad situation.

13. Just saying // July 11, 2018 at 8:40 pm // Reply

Into the stamps alumni jail cell

14. Chris Jones tried to sign Greg Hardy until the league stopped him and has a history of signing players with DV problems.
    Glass houses

15. Can we please spare the standard excuses about “CTE” and concussions being the reason for this guy’s behaviour?

16. ColdCalgary. // July 13, 2018 at 1:34 am // Reply

I found Browner to be weak on technique, he clutched and grabbed receivers alot. Some games his poor coverage skills caught up to him. His play is similar to loffler in Winnipeg.