Bombers sign former Riders Canadian DB Jeff Hecht

National defensive back Jeff Hecht has signed a one-year contract with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, per sources.

The 32-year-old had been a free agent since being released by the Saskatchewan Roughriders in April.

Hecht was acquired by the Riders via trade in August 2016 and re-signed with Saskatchewan in March 2017, playing in 26 games making 28 tackles, 13 special teams tackles and forcing one fumble with the Riders. Hecht has suited up in 100 career CFL games making 75 defensive tackles, 50 special teams tackles, forcing four fumbles and grabbing one interception after going unselected in the 2011 CFL draft. He’s spent time with the Alouettes, Stampeders – winning a Grey Cup with Calgary in 2014 – and Riders.

Hecht brings a proven veteran presence, seven years of CFL experience, to the Bombers defence and special teams units, needed after Canadian Derek Jones was placed on the six-game injured list with a lower-body injury.

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk

Latest posts by Justin Dunk (see all)

Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (885 Articles)

21 Comments on Bombers sign former Riders Canadian DB Jeff Hecht

1. Dedmonton // July 9, 2018 at 11:08 am //

Why did the Bombers not try to resign Kahlen Branning? Played last year, cut in training camp and only 24.

• They are likely looking for some experience to replace Jones on ST and as an in-game backup. Not sure Branning fits that description. Youth is nice, but it’s just not what this particular situation calls for.

2. Bestcflfan // July 9, 2018 at 11:24 am //

So SK doesn’t have 3ex Alouette safeties any more.

3. Stampeding // July 9, 2018 at 11:45 am //

Great opportunity for him to go somewhere where he has a chance to succeed in a sane, organized environment.. like he had in Calgary.

• Puck hog // July 9, 2018 at 11:58 am //

You are the funniest guy I know. You actually used “sane” and “Calgary” in the same sentence. YOU!!

• Puck hog // July 9, 2018 at 12:00 pm //

Your humour aside, you gotta see a different shrink. Your obsessive fear of the Riders has not diminished with the shrinks you have seen to this point.

• I bet Hecht is so happy to get out of that gong show in sliderville

4. Great to read all the funny humor on comments on this post. Interesting, but really not adding much substance to the story. Question: why do Rider supporters on such hate against the Stamps machine? There are 9 teams , so why only Riders versus Stamps? have nice day 3D fans.

• fannotacoach // July 9, 2018 at 12:41 pm //

Hi Steve, I consider myself to be one of the level headed Rider fans to post on here from time to time over a long period. If you were to have followed this site for the last at least couple of years you would be aware of the one referred to as many handles who gets restricted from posting and returns with a new name. His constant and mostly irrelevant comments on ALL stories are concerning the Riders and Chris Jones. This has resulted in typical responses from Rider fans to the point where some of them have become as annoying as many handles. Add to that a poster known as Area51 who makes it his business to insult anyone and everyone with what he proclaims to be spot on information and pretty soon the site becomes a free-for-all instead of some friendly give and take with a few deserved sharp barbs. The writers of the articles often take advantage of all the above by using the Riders as click bait. After a while you know which ones to avoid or which posts to skim past.
      I am a staunch Rider fan but come on, if there were no other teams it would hardly work and on any given day I will be cheering on a different outcome for whoever might be playing unless it is the riders. I am no expert of the sport but really enjoy it and when it’s there I enjoy reading intelligent discussion in these blogs.
      Go Riders! Go CFL!!

• Paul Bomber // July 10, 2018 at 11:09 am //

Join me – don’t feed the beast: Ignore posts from morons and especially don’t respond.

• You think Rider fans have a hate on for Stamps fans? Really? Look at the other side of the equation, and you’ll see Stamps fans are much, much worse.

5. The rider fans are heckling him after the eastern final loss

6. Matt Duckworth // July 9, 2018 at 2:34 pm //

Jeff Hecht is probably glad to get out of Saskatchewan because of the mismanagement taking place.

7. Funny I’d think the riders could use as many DB’s as they can get there hands on. Carter has to go back to offensive. This would be comparable to the Pittsburg penguins putting Crosby in net. Seriously

8. Peter N // July 9, 2018 at 4:15 pm //

He is a decent special teams guy and an ok backup at safety – cannot play corner or halfback. Will add some depth for the bombers if he even gets on the active roster.

9. MR. Green // July 9, 2018 at 6:05 pm //

Nice to see Jeff back. I thought he did ok. He can hit hard and plays hard.

10. Backside shoulder // July 10, 2018 at 8:58 am //

Good special teamer, decent backup to Loffler. Works hard, plays hard but is not a game changing db.

• Paul Bomber // July 10, 2018 at 11:06 am //

Yeah, Loffler makes me a little nervous the way he plays – he had a sketchy record in college before he came back North to play university ball (injuries, not performance). Although Wpg could likely start 3 Cannuck receivers if they were desperate.

• Flatbilly Earl // July 10, 2018 at 12:16 pm //

And Loffler’s been good ever since joining the Bombers. I wouldn’t worry too much about him. He’s proven his worth at the pro level.

• Paul Bomber // July 10, 2018 at 4:05 pm //

“worth at the pro level”: Yes! For sure! Beyond “good” I’d say.

So for clarity: I LOVE the way he plays – he was our leading tackler last year (which is crazy for a safety). I’d be happy with him even with a different passport… but as a Canuck, the guy’s a gem!! I’ve even hinted to those that buy me Christmas presents every year or so, it’s his jersey I’d like.
          My concern is health: he’s had lots of knee problems before turning pro, so I just like the idea of having a backup, even though he’s been pretty durable as a Bomber.

11. BigRedMachine // July 10, 2018 at 9:15 am //

One of the good guys. Glad he is back on the field in whatever capacity.