Horn at Argos game a source of great consternation to TV viewers

So there’s a person at Saturday’s Toronto Argonauts game against the Edmonton Eskimos at BMO Field who is in possession of some kind of brass instrument and they are blowing it incessantly. In-cess-ant-ly.

The noise has caught the attention of the TSN audience and not in a good way.

Will the horn be silenced? Will it be inserted, as some have suggested, into a bodily orifice? The outcome of horn-gate may be of greater interest than the game at this point. It’s certainly more painful.

UPDATE:  We have some solid investigative work complete with grainy photos!

101 Comments on Horn at Argos game a source of great consternation to TV viewers

1. Seoulman // July 7, 2018 at 7:04 pm //

I’m a STH at the game. I’ve always hated them (usually at Montreal games). He made last year’s Sask playoff game brutal. I think I found him. I’m going to go let security and Argos execs know.

2. Argos/ BMO staff are responsible to get that Horn silenced! I thought a penalty was applied to the home team if this sort of stuff continues? Shove the horn where the sun don’t shine!

• I doubt the players on the field would hear the horn.
      It’s loud on the TV broadcast because TSN has the volume turned up and trying to make a small crowd seem bigger and louder.

• Sleptwithyourwife // July 7, 2018 at 7:54 pm //

You can hear a pin drop at BMO

• You have not attended an Argo game their obviously. It is actually very loud even without huge crowds. You would know that if you were at the games.

• Interesting comment from a guy watching a game on TV. Ironically, the LEAFS have the quietest crowds in Toronto a long with the Jays.
          If LEAFS/jays are winning, no problem, if not, yes, you could hear a pin drop. Nice try though.

• “Flutie the Soccer Troll” reappears from under the bridge.

3. According to BMO Field policy, air horns are not allowed in the stadium yet I am trying to watch the Argos/Eskimos game today and cannot watch it because some imbecile is constantly blowing an air horn!!! PLEASE STOP THIS BLOODY NOISE!

4. Random Rider Fan // July 7, 2018 at 7:10 pm //

start flagging the home team every time he sounds the horn

5. Go deal with it brother. The guy with the horn needs a ” tune up” !!!! Give him hell!!!

6. Gainer1 // July 7, 2018 at 7:22 pm //

There are 15000 empty seats. Move the person up to the top corner.

7. It’s the cowbells I can’t stand. Stupid tradition

8. TSN doing a great job not showing the east stands. The east side is almost empty.
    TSN has the sound turned up and trying to make the 10k fans sound louder

• I noticed that, TSN is pumping up the volume and that horn is amplified.
      Just caught a glimpse of the east stands and it is sparse.
      Looks like a 12k crowd

• If you counted the “streaming” numbers, millions were watching on TV.
        Isn’t that what everyone does?

• No according to Jeff only soccer people can stream. CFL fans are too old and stupid. Jeff=Flutie?

9. Kathie Currie // July 7, 2018 at 7:41 pm //

Take the damn horns from those guys!

10. Funny thing is someone was complaining that the game is “unwatchable” do they know that you can still watch the game with the sound turned down???
    But I agree that horn needs to be banned. They aren’t allowed at TD Place in Ottawa

11. Can you imagine if the hornblower was in the seat behind you?

12. OMG someone blew one in the bar after the Rider game last night… Everyone was so pissed at his drunk @ss.

13. I don’t know what is more annoying the horn or ALL THE FLAGS the refs need to backoff, the CFL is becoming unwatchable because of the amount of penalties.
    Another 100 yard plus penalty filled game last night in Montreal.

• Why do want to put off other people who enjoy football from watching it? You’re watching 10th rate soccer. You could care less about CFL and want it to die because you think it will help that 10th rate soccer league that nobody gives a shit about.

14. Laurie Jeanne McKay // July 7, 2018 at 7:54 pm //

Thought it was just me that was irritated…turned down the sound from the get-go…drove me nuts.

15. Move this team out of Toronto , it’s an embarrassment to the other 8 teams that actually have a lot of people in their park

• Sadly there is no other place to go.
      It wouldn’t be a disaster for the league if Toronto lost their CFL team.
      Montreal folded 3 times in the past and Ottawa twice.
      Nothing can be done to increase attendance, everything has been tried.
      The answer was supposed to be a better smaller stadium but since leaving the dome the attendance has shrunk from 25k their last full season at the RC down to 13k.
      Less than 13k tonight there.
      How long will MLSE put up with it?

• “How long will MLSE put up with it?”. According to MLSE, a long time. They are smart business people and obviously feel this can be turned around long term. They have acknowledged this will take a long time. In the scheme of things at MLSE, Argos losses ($) would be minimal. Don’t you think their money people would deal with this accordingly. Five years from now the Argos will still exist. Five years from now the NFL will still be laughing at Toronto as “fans” will state, “the NFL will be here anytime now”.

• Sjim=Jeff=Flutie, do people do IP checks here?

How long will MLSE put up with the microscopic TV ratings TFC gets. They almost lost the TSN contract when they were averaging a whopping 38k across Canada a few years ago.

• P.Battle // July 7, 2018 at 8:50 pm //

I agree, move them out of Toronto. In fact, move the players of all 9 teams to the AAF. Granted the airhorns were a distraction but Canadians are so quick to do nothing but attack the second best football league in the World. Been a fan of the CFL for over 40 years but I have come to the resolution that the biggest problem with the CFL is that it is in Canada.

• ” but I have come to the resolution that the biggest problem with the CFL is that it is in Canada”. I’ve been both a CFL and NFL fan for the same amount of time. I honestly mean this, I don’t think I’ve ever read a statement that describes the situation better. You describe it perfectly. Sometimes it just takes a couple of sentences to summarize an issue. Well done, very well done. Toronto ( of which I’m a fan) so desperately requires American approval, it is pathetic.
        With your permission, I’m going to have to use your quote.

• Their home opener actually wasn’t bad. I think there was over 20,000 in there. But today – nice an sunny out… place should be packed. Whoever cracks their attendance problem will the marketer of the century.

• You mean like Montreal and the 16,700 “fans” who showed up there last night?

• Just curious, does Montreals hockey team pack the place when they are losing. Don’t think so. Why the double standard?

16. ARSE 51 and ManyHandles MUST be BANNED // July 7, 2018 at 8:12 pm //

Someone should tell the Argo NOTS that football games are more then ONE (1) quarter lol. Or is it that the Eskimos have figured out their Pop-gun offence in the first FIVE (5) minutes hahahahahaha.
    Never laughed so hard at that CIS Offence.

17. True Green // July 7, 2018 at 8:27 pm //

So stampeding-Red was in TO for the game? No one else is that obnoxious.

18. Alberta Crocus // July 7, 2018 at 8:30 pm //

Who cares about the horns. Don’t give any excuses to the EE fans. They will blame the horns on their loss. What a sad sac of a game 20-17. Couple of bottom feeders. The EE are so bad that Toronto gets their 1st victory against them. Typically Reilly playing ping pong between the 20’s. This EE team isn’t going anywhere except further in the basement.

19. Regardless of result. Commish should deal with this. No team should have to put up with this constant harrassment. BMO and Argos let it continue. That behavior is “offside” and should be corrected before next game! Bush league. It’s like kids baseball, yelling “swing batter batter swing”. Let’s get this crap fixed!

20. Pennyrocker // July 7, 2018 at 8:42 pm //

What no other post of how the Eskies got their butts handed to them.

21. The guy with the air horn has to be Areola51. Blows his own horn as much there as he does here

• Ridersrule // July 7, 2018 at 8:50 pm //

I was about to say that . Acually it wouldn’t suprise me if it was him , he is certainly goofy enough to do it .

• Philski // July 7, 2018 at 9:27 pm //

LOL…best comment of the year so far!

22. I have watched CFL games for 50 years and this is the first time I watched a full game on MUTE. That horn needs to be put where the sun don’t shine.

• Turned the volume down when Edmonton had the ball and Horatio hornblower was at it.

Turned the volume up when Toronto had the ball and there was Rod Black. Lose Lose situation.

23. fannotacoach // July 7, 2018 at 9:31 pm //

Kind of like the Spaz with the drum at BC Place!
    Actually had the volume off for the entire game. Same with the mic’d up game. Why would anyone want to listen to the QB’s audibles?
    Did not miss the 1/2 time circus either!
    TSN needs some new ideas.

• that guy at bc is the most obnoxious fan in the cfl, next to 2 many handles and areahole here

24. antoine lussier // July 7, 2018 at 9:33 pm //

what a disaster–first BLACK AND FOURDE are doing the broadcast–and then the horn as background music— all that was needed was VICTOR BORGA for comic relief–

25. john gatti // July 7, 2018 at 9:37 pm //

That’s what happens when no one is there. Someone has to make noise.

• Philski // July 7, 2018 at 10:22 pm //

LOL…that’s good right there!

• I was at the game. You really have no clue, do you? Louder than most Leaf games or the rare Jay game I’ve ever been at. But somehow, you know better from your couch.

• I was at the game too, the guy was in the first row and we were up high near the press box. We couldn’t hear him.
        With the lid at BMO the crowd does sound bigger and they do pipe in crowd noise over the speakers which also makes it seem like the crowd is bigger.
        We heard the crowd noise and looked around but couldn’t see many fans cheering, obviously piped in crowd noise.

26. Red&White Forever // July 7, 2018 at 9:55 pm //

So, Toronto finally gets a fan(s) that gives a sh*t and you guys want him removed? We should be giving this guy a medal for caring about the Argos, not calling for him to be banned.

27. Toronto Symphony Orchestra: we found your missing musician. You can claim him now the game is over.

28. Security should be responsible for removing those horns. That’s not fair to other fans

• just like that obnoxious drummer in bc, ban him its not fair to anyone who doesnt like drums

29. I was sitting 10 yards away from the 4 with the horns- who were in the front row, directly behind the Argo bench. Everybody found it annoying, fans, game day staff, the police nearby and I’m sure the Argos too. I’m annoyed the BMO Field staff didn’t do something about it when it’s clearly against the rules.

Yes it would be great if the stadium was full and there was lots of noise, but these horns are going to drive people away from the game.

30. probs just some overrated butthurt deadmonton fans whining or Carter himself with many handles running his mouth

31. FFS, it’s a football game – – not a tennis match. I wonder if people in Seattle complain about the noise at Seahawk games.

This has to be the most pussified country in the world.

Reminds me of being at the 2012 Grey Cup. By the 2ndQ the Argos were dominating Calgary and the Dome was absolutely thunderous – – MUCH louder than at any point during the 2013 Grey Cup.

Naturally I was standing and blasting one of our air horns in support of the defence when someone in the row behind asked me to be quiet.

Turned around and it was two gimps sitting there wearing Saskatchewan Roughrider jerseys.

I explained to them it was a football game- – and with the aid of some profanity, gave them directions to the nearest library.

• Probably have more show for tennis.

• True Green // July 7, 2018 at 11:14 pm //

Of course it was 51, there would have been 10-20% more fans in an enclosed stadium versus wide open Taylor field.

Games are meant to be loud. Cheering loud and yellowing at the visiting team is half the fun. But only pussies use air horns.

32. come on 3 down syndrome nation put that guys pic up

33. Evil Empire // July 7, 2018 at 11:49 pm //

So the stadium management allow fans to break the rules ? I have not been to the new Argo stadium, or the one in Regina. But, I’ve been in every other CFL stadium. I’ve also been in many US stadiums. But, I’ve never experienced such BS as that.

Unless the rule has changed. That is an offence that can be penalized. The home team is accountable for the actions of the fans in the stadium. So, why don’t the zebras do their job ? And where was stadium security ?

Is there anybody from ON here ? I’ve never been in a city where air horn usage, other than in an emergency is legal. And by that I mean the actual law ( cops ). Not stadium management. Is it like that in ON ?

Keep it up CFL. I’m one step closer to walking away for good. It’s almost like this league is daring ppl to walk away.

Awesome CFL, awesome to the zebras, too. You continue to lose fans every single day.

• But you couldn’t hear the horn guy in the stadium. I doubt the players heard him either.
      The only people complaining were the people watching and listening on TV.
      TSN had a microphone in the crowd to make it sound like the crowd was bigger, and generate some excitement for their CFL broadcast. All they had to do was filter out the crowd noise and there would have been no problem.

34. Evil Empire // July 7, 2018 at 11:51 pm //

P. S.

* I have been in the old Taylor Field, and Skydome.

35. ARSE 51 and ManyHandles MUST be BANNED // July 7, 2018 at 11:52 pm //

“and with the aid of some profanity, gave them directions to the nearest library.”

Of course you did. That, with a ton of arrogance, is what you do best.

• As always, I’m here to educate and enlighten.

Regardless whether I’m providing directions to the nearest library or explaining which players have talent and which players have none.

• Blue it up // July 8, 2018 at 10:59 am //

Why did you change your name?

• Rrider20 // July 8, 2018 at 3:07 pm //

probably because the moderators don’t let Area51 post anymore cuz all he does is stir up shit.. so as a simpleton he changed one letter to Arra51.. cuz well hes a dunce

36. If it is illegal to have air horns in the stadium what does that say about security in Toronto?
    And arra51 shows the attitude that makes people hate Toronto. He admits to blowing an illegal air horn at a game and then swearing at visiting fans when asked to stop.

• I get searched at pretty much every stadium I attend and security always sees our air horns as I make no attempt to conceal them.

Never had a single problem bringing them in.

Google “bazooka air horn”, my friend.

37. I remember the Riders being penalized because the Riders pep band sitting in the north end zone at Taylor Field with the ball being near mid field played a couple of seconds after play had been blown in.
    With eastern stadiums constructed such that both teams are on the same sideline if these horn players are behind the Argos bench they also aren’t far from the visiting team’s bench.
    I distinctly remember hearing an announcement at Mosaic Stadium Thursday night that air horns are illegal and that the Riders could be penalized if they are used.

38. Horns or Rod Black? Toss up.

39. Blackhawk89 // July 8, 2018 at 3:14 am //

This league is gonna fold with the attendances in the 3 big city markets.

• Yeah, the Blackhawks were really drawing them in a while back, they shoulda folded.

• been hearing that for so many years yet here we are. I never understand why CFL haters need to follow a CFL site. Just to troll? I don’t troll NFL or TFC sites. I so much more better things to do in my life. If you truly hate it, ignore it.

• Amen brother!

• They hope if the CFL dies soccer will miraculously take over. They just ignore the fact that the number of followers of MLS is equal to the number of people at the stadium. Good for attendance, not so good for everything else.

40. RalphInTheCreek // July 8, 2018 at 10:54 am //

Imagine sitting next to that Argo a$$ hole with the air horn.

41. So 1 person with an air horn bothers so many people but nobody ever complains about the number of air horns in Montreal? I too hate the air horn and would gladly shove it up the perpetrator’s ass.
    As for the ‘quiet’ crowd at BMO yesterday, all I can say is that I was at the game at it was pretty loud.
    As for the crowd, there was Blue Jay game and a Wolfpack rugby game going on in basically the same area. In other words, there is lots going on in Toronto and too many people have an NFL fetish that won’t allow them to see that the CFL is exciting in its own right.

• You want to blame “a Wolfpack rugby game” for the embarrassing 12,000 attendance?

What a ridiculous excuse.

There was also a softball game happening too…and a community bake sale up the street…plus someone had to mow the lawn on Saturday as well.

42. James Wilder disagrees:

For all the @TorontoArgos fans that came to the game last night. I want to give you all a special S/0 you guys had the stadium rocking for 60 min straight weather it was your vocals, Bells or horns, We EXTREMELY appreciate you all. You guys truly have a GREAT impact on our games!

• He can mainly thank the stadium staff that amplified the crowd noise with mics and speakers and the fake crowd noise piped in.
      The roof helps a lot to keep crowd noise in too.

• TFC fans, Stop trolling. No mics, no fake crowd noise, just 12000 fans making huge noise. We may be small but we bring it and we do it without being drunk out of our minds and without “FLAIRS,breaking seats and setting the place on fire”. We actually watch the game and not just have a drunken party. Thus, the terrible tv rating for TFC. No party on TV. For the so called CFL fans complaining about noise and horns. you have no right to complain. Get off your ass and attend the game then you can complain. But to who? Everyone there is screaming and cheering and having fun. Sorry, if you couldn’t hear “ROD BLACK” from your couch.

• Must be different section by section. Lots of people stomping their feet and clapping in our section. Strange, isn’t it. perhaps you should move sections.

• his section was living room on couch. he has no idea of the noise at the game. He never goes to any.

43. was this arash madani or just drew Edwards hiding behind the “3down staff” moniker again trolling for clickbait? This is a slight improvement over the “why is Genie Bouchard at an Argos game?”

44. Howard Wulkan // July 9, 2018 at 12:10 pm //

I sent an email to BMO Field asking them to enforce their own rules regarding air horns, and emails to both TSN and the CFL asking them to put pressure on BMO Field staff to enforce their own rules, since these clowns blowing air horns made the game unwatchable (as other people above, I too ended up watching the game on mute). I encourage everyone else who found the air horns annoying or game-ruining to contact these three organisations and register your complaints as well. The more people that complain to all three of these organisations, the more likely it is that something will actually be done about it.

45. Huff's Neighbor // July 9, 2018 at 1:14 pm //

That horn was at Mosaic last year and we sat 4 seats away. Incredibly loud, annoying and I was surprised someone didn’t take it away. But as the Riders took the lead and the game over, he went silent. Good thing, because I could tell he was going to answer for it if it continued.

46. To 3Down Nation aka wannabe 4 down nation. Try some positive reporting once in a while if you really want to be taken serious by the true CFL fans you pretend to represent.

47. All those complaining about the noise from the horn at the Argo game. I completely understand. I am with you 100%, I know what it is like to be falling asleep to the melotone voice of Rod Black only to be disturbed or awoken by a loud noise at a football game. I will be complaining and asking if all noise can be stopped at the games like in tennis. I think it is the right thing to do. Tell them you won’t attend another game until they do. Oh, I forgot, you never do anyways

48. What a bunch of complainers.
    I don’t like the “watch me” noise either.
    But I’d like to see more focus on support for the Argos and the cfl.
    Ignoring NFL marketing and hype we have a more exciting game.

49. Half of those complainers didn’t watch the game on TV or in person. They’re MLS trolls who want the Argos and CFL dead

50. The Argos came up big when they had to and stayed close enough to take advantage when they got it together. That’s what I liked.
    Horns and slippery end zone distractions weren’t for me.
    I was too busy cheering.

51. Tiger man // July 11, 2018 at 8:29 am //

So, air horn guy was unpopular.

And he could be heard above everything else in the stadium.

That doesn’t speak well for the alleged cheering fans…the few that were there.

52. Edward Leslie // July 12, 2018 at 7:03 am //

Oh man, do I agree about the consternation.
    I like horns and cowbells too… but blowing that horn EVERY SINGLE PLAY OF THE OPPOSITION???!!!
    C’mon!!!
    I’d like to stick that horn where the sun don’t even thinks of shining!!