Redblack Kyries Hebert says being called dirty ‘hurt my feelings’

According to Ottawa Redblacks linebacker Kyries Heber, he will not be appealing the one-game suspension levied on him for a high hit on Calgary Stampeders receiver DaVaris Daniels.

“They made a decision, rules are made so that we can abide by them – look to be a better tackler, 800-plus career tackles and four of them cost me money, so I gotta be better for the sake of the quality of the game and health of all involved. Playing fast, playing hard – I’ll take my target lower,” Hebert told TSN radio and assembled media.

“I saw Twitter: ‘He’s the dirtiest player in history’. That hurt my feelings. At the end of the day no one was hurt and I’m happy that everyone came away from a play that looked to be dangerous and walked away healthy.”

Ottawa Redblacks’ Kyries Hebert, right, slams into Calgary Stampeders’ DaVaris Daniels, during second half CFL football action in Calgary, Thursday, June 28, 2018.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

Hebert didn’t feel it was a dirty hit.

“From my angle and being on the field I know that I turned my shoulder, it wasn’t helmet to helmet, my shoulder actually contacted where the ball was,” Hebert said. “I didn’t get suspended for helmet to helmet, it was considered high, but I don’t think those the terms used for the suspension.”

Hebert was asked what he would do if put in commissioner Randy Ambrosie’s position having to rule on the hit.

“I would invite me to Toronto and have a sit down with me. I understand and respect his position and I want to do what’s best for the league,” Hebert said.

The 37-year-old defender will sit out Friday’s game against the Alouettes where he played the last six seasons only to have the team release him in the off-season.

“It hurts,” Hebert said. “I was looking forward to going back to Montreal.”

37 Comments on Redblack Kyries Hebert says being called dirty ‘hurt my feelings’

1. White Horse // July 4, 2018 at 2:18 pm //

Guess what Hebert? You are the dirtiest player in the CFL for as far back as I can remember!!

• Best CFL FAN // July 4, 2018 at 4:07 pm //

I don’t have to remember further back than Shea Emery

• DirtyMF // July 4, 2018 at 5:41 pm //

He has the perfect d coordinator in Thorpe, who loves dirty players who take late hits. As the filthiest player in the CFL, Hebert HAD to sign with Ottawa.

2. Garcia98 // July 4, 2018 at 2:22 pm //

Being called dirty hurt his feelings? Hebert PLAYING dirty hurt Jon Cornish’s head to the point of an early retirement. This guy is the last of a dying breed of headhunters.

• riderontheisland // July 4, 2018 at 2:34 pm //

that is bang on Garcia and the league to make a statement here and just get rid of him. That would help ensure that more of his type don’t pop up.

3. Steve Borsa // July 4, 2018 at 2:22 pm //

Ok. Wonder if 2014 Jon Cornish hit was not dirty? Seems CFL did not take appropriate disciplinary action. Then other non dirty hits . Well doesn’t seem CFL that interested in resolving issues. Easier to just do nothing.

• Meh – commish gives him one game for the dirtiest hit I’ve seen.

But he’s made football safer because of no pad practices.

• riderontheisland // July 4, 2018 at 3:38 pm //

Well it just sounds stupid when you say it like that…. says no one.
        You nailed it and the inconsistency is crazy. Yet they will suspend the player that makes helmet to helmet contact because the ball carrier lowered his head.

4. RicoBeBlue&Gold // July 4, 2018 at 2:23 pm //

Hurt his feelings!? Boo f#@%€£¥ hoo. Stupid is what stupid does.

5. Diehardticat // July 4, 2018 at 2:24 pm //

Notice Hebert’s words, “looked to be dangerous”, he also did not consider it a dangerous hit. And the damning statement to top it off when asked what he would have done if he was the commissioner, he only went so far as to say he would sit down with the player and talk. CLEARLY, he does not get it. Hebert did not take any responsibility for his blatant dangerous hit. But, he is quick to focus on how he is hurt by the comments and the label of dirtiest player. This is typical of this generation of human beings. This kid will keep doing it and we will be having the same conversation before years end. And he has a ignorant Coach that supports his dangerous play.

6. riderontheisland // July 4, 2018 at 2:31 pm //

Well your “feelings” are hurt while you leave other with permanent head injuries. The CFL has failed their players by letting this guy continue the way he does. It’s not just the fans because players like to chime into Twitter when he’s up to this dirty play.

7. Edward Leslie // July 4, 2018 at 2:42 pm //

The SECOND dirtiest player. Jason Jimenez will return to Canada and chop block anyone who dares say that he still doesn’t still hold the title as “the dirtiest player in CFL history”!

The CFL rarely hands out suspensions. They need ti do it more often. But I guess it needs to be collectively agreed upon that it’s best for all to protect players health.
    I always get frustrated when the PA always sticks up for the offender in these cases because he’s “one of them”. Isn’t the victim “one of them” too??

8. fannotacoach // July 4, 2018 at 2:49 pm //

Well said Edward. The PA should be looking out for the victims. They should try to insure fair assessment of charges but when someone is guilty side with the one that got hurt.

9. Pennyrocker // July 4, 2018 at 2:53 pm //

You did we hurt his poor little feelings poor boy. In my books he not dirty he is a filthy rotten scumbag of a player with no morals. To bad the shoe is not on his foot.

10. Mikefrmthhammer // July 4, 2018 at 3:01 pm //

His nickname is “Dirty Bird” for a reason. The sooner he is an exCFL’er the better.

11. Tiger man // July 4, 2018 at 3:08 pm //

It’s only pure luck that other players weren’t injured. There was certainly no caring on his part for THEIR welfare.

Hurt Herbert’s feelings??!!

Please….

I’m waiting for the day another player lays HIM out…I can envision mass jubilation from fans and players alike.

I would gladly contribute my best to any fine that angel of mercy would get.

12. TheLastArgoFan // July 4, 2018 at 3:22 pm //

“At the end of the day no one was hurt and I’m happy that everyone came away from a play that looked to be dangerous and walked away healthy.”

To finish the thought…”despite my best effort to hurt and potentially injure an opponent, as I’ve done in the past, with my flagrant disregard for the rules.”

13. This clown is just being provocative with that statement to get the response he wants. Mission accomplished.
    Your day will come sir. Your day will come.

14. bigplay // July 4, 2018 at 4:43 pm //

Is this not the same Kyries Hebert who has been charged more than once for Domestic Assault ? Now claims his feelings have been hurt for being called a dirty player well I personally think he is a Bleeping Coward !

15. What a puss comment by Hebert – – I’m cringing at how weak that was.

You’d NEVER hear Bill Romanowski or Chuck Cecil embarrass themselves by complaining about their “hurt feelings” for being called dirty players.

WTF was Hebert thinking with such a puss comment like that?!?

• Regardless of how he feels, your comments just justify his point. He may be a dirty player, but if you ever play sports, you get tired or hurt when everywhere you go, you are shammed as a dirty player. I am aware he is like that but so is he, but it isn’t our problem, it’s his and the coaching staff’s problem. The should better discipline their players. Thorpe may be an aggressive play caller, however there is a line you cross with certain hits. It also doesn’t help or solve anything when every gets on his back, because the only people who have the authority to do that is the coaches, the refs, and the CFL staff. I don’t think it’s so much refs or anyone bothering him, but the fans, and it does hurt when players get names called at them, because it is embarrassing. Even for Duron Carter, he felt pretty hurt by the name calling, and TSN panel. Burris for that matter too, which is why he told at the “haters and event the panel itself to shove it with their comments” one game a couple years ago. People would know if they ever played sports, you would know, because these players are human beings too, with lives. Are you gonna call Mike Reily a puss if he wins the western final, and loses the cup. Then again you aren’t on the field, so you don’t have an idea what it’s like. Emotion is a factor on performance, and when you aren’t all there, you don’t play so well. I would like to see anyone go to Hebert’s face and say these comments, like calling him a “scumbag” or “poor boy”, let’s see what happens then. Regardless of what I said above, I do still find article unnecessary, for all it is, is basically filler content to put something there for people to read, with useless information. We know Hebert has dangerous hits, we are aware he thinks he didn’t do anything wrong, but everything else is of no use. It’s not our problem to deal with his hits, it’s the CFL refs and coache’s problem.

• You can’t be serious with that long winded comment.

Guys like Bill Romanowski, Jim Burt, Mike O’Shea and Draino Belli made Hebert look like an angel.

You would NEVER, EVER, hear any of them whine like a puss about how their “feelings were hurt” because people called them dirty.

Those guys were legit bad asses and among the dirtiest players in pro football history.

That’s why their champions and also why Hebert has never won anything in his life.

• All I am saying Area51 is saying is that this article serves no purpose and that words to hurt to player. All of the players you listed above, never had forums,twitters or comment, for people to hide behind screens, and insult them. That’s what hurts. Even then, it would probably still hurt for them if people called them these names. There just wasn’t any convenient means of them stating it like social media, not at least anyone who caren’t enough to read it which then furthers my point of how useless this article is.

• TheLastArgoFan // July 5, 2018 at 4:52 am //

The article’s purpose is to report on an interview with a CFL player about an incident on the field.
            It does that perfectly.
            For what noble purpose are you looking beyond that?

• Foodie Foodnerd // July 5, 2018 at 3:07 am //

R, I barely managed to skim parts of this slopfest solid wall of rambling, nonsensical whining — your only valid complaint is with your fourth grade teacher’s failure to teach you basic spelling and grammar.
        Hopefully, the third time will be the charm when you go back again in the fall.

Meanwhile, after you snivel and whine about calling out dirty players you specifically acknowledge as dirty because you’re afraid they’ll tire of being held accountable, you prove everyone’s point.

Then you indignantly squeal that your dirty-playing hero would physically assault a much smaller, non-athletic person for saying exactly what you posted here, only lucid and in sentence form.

Please have someone help you with the big words here before you embarrass yourself even more.
        FFS, even the dirty players are begging you to stop aligning yourself with them!

Yes, it really is that bad.

• All I’m saying, is this article has no meaning, and that you, to simply put it, are a troll hiding behind a computer screen. You can say all you want here, but go to someone’s face a say it, and you will fail at even doing that. I am not implying he would assault you, but that you have no guts, therefore who is the puss here. Also before you speak of someone dirty assaulting a non-athletic person, let me remind you of a couple weeks ago, with an incident involving Marcel Young.

• Just a last reminder, get a life man, and eat a solid. Based by your name, I already can tell you are out of shape, and haven’t heard of exercise or even have ever stepped on the field. Another one of my “fourth grade” rambling is speaking of being on the field. I’ve been yelled at by coaches and opposing team players before, and it doesn’t just go through one hear and out the other. You would know if you ever got out of your bed, stopped wanking and reading your comic books, and actually some physical activity. You speak of my failures, yet you most likely failed phys ed, and isn’t able to finish your trip up the stairs.

• Above, it’s salad, another auto-correct mistake, but technology is helping proving FoodieFoodnerd’s remark.

16. Someone really just needs to earhole the dirty bird already.

• I agree – then they would likely get 2 games.

• Foodie Foodnerd // July 5, 2018 at 3:13 am //

RobE, you’re spot on here! I’ll pay for the ice pick to use during the procedure.

I’ll even spring for the premium model! Flip it around, and you can use the other end for his equally much-needed lobotomy.

17. anyone remember Dyson the former bomber o lineman from about 10 years ago or so? trust me hebert, you are by far not even close to the most dirty player in cfl history, but no one cares that we hurt your over paid feelings

18. Dedmonton // July 5, 2018 at 12:39 am //

Funny guy.

19. Bomber Fan In The Stands // July 5, 2018 at 1:28 am //

Hmmmm, leaving you feet and launching yourself at the opponent’s head, when he wasn’t looking…, yeah I’d say that was a dirty hit. That makes you a dirty player, as you have a history of such plays.

20. habbernack // July 5, 2018 at 7:57 am //

Isn’t he a repeat offender? What’s his handle dirty bird

21. Evil Empire // July 5, 2018 at 5:53 pm //

It’s a really bad situation which is totally the fault of the players themselves. Them, and their union have made it impossible to give proper punishment for things like this. The CFLPA appeals pretty much every attempt to suspend any player.

It’s ass backwards. You’d think the CFLPA would want to protect the victims. Not the perpetrators.

What I don’t get is where is the frontier justice ? Why have opposing players not clocked this guy ? He has a known history for this kind of play. With hockey back in the day, teams had enforcers. Take a cheap shot at our star players. And somebody is going to take your head off.

I’d almost think players would line up for the opportunity to get some pay back. And I bet alot of players would contribute to the guy’s fine, or to offset a loss of a game cheque from being suspended. Take his head off a cpl times. Either he stops voluntarily… Or he’s driven out of the game by injury, or repeated concussions. Go after his knees. Less opportunity for the vigilante to actually get injured himself.

It’s really crappy. But, this is 99% on the players themselves.

22. Jim Bob // July 5, 2018 at 8:45 pm //

Hope Hebert has LEARNED A LESSON but I seriously DOUBT IT from his comments in this article. Hope he gets a history lesson on the Oakland Raiders DB how paralyzed a Patriots receiver I believe many years back. Something REALLY BAD can happen playing in a way TOO AGGRESSIVE manner.