Johnny Manziel has held the clipboard for two games and clearly wants to see CFL regular season action.

“I’m eager to play, I’m chomping at the bit for sure. I feel like whenever I’m needed, whenever I need to be in there, I’ll be ready to go, that’s my plan,” Manziel said after Hamilton beat Edmonton 38-21 at Commonwealth Stadium on Friday night.

“I’m working every day to get back in the building and just continue to try and put myself in a position to play, it’s always frustrating, but I have a job and an obligation to each and every person on this team to be the two and be the role that I’m asked to be in.”

Ticats starting quarterback Jeremiah Masoli had an impressive performance completing 65 per cent of his passes for 332 yards – Masoli has seven straight 300-yard passing efforts dating back to 2017 –  and three touchdowns while adding 59 yards with his legs. When asked Manziel agreed about Masoli resembling a similar playing style to the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner.

“Hundred percent. He made three or four plays that usually a normal quarterback is not going to make. Jeremiah did a great job of not only making the plays when they weren’t there but just controlling the game and running the offence the way that we’re supposed to. I’ve always been a Masoli guy from the time he was at Oregon,” Manziel said.

The 25-year-old was on the winning side of a professional football game for the first time since December 2015, Manziel threw for 270 yards and one touchdown in a 24-10 victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

“So this is a long time coming for me to be part of a team getting a good team win, whether I’m playing, whether I’m sitting, whatever the case is. There is improvement all around from our team,” Manziel said.

Manziel believes he bonded with Masoli during the Alberta trip where the team stayed in the province between games on Calgary and Edmonton.

“Soli has been nothing but a class act and true professional. He’s been here for six years and these guys have a caring and understanding of what he brings to the table for us – he’s one of our team captains,” Manziel said.

“I appreciate what we have in the quarterback room. I’m hopefully trying to get to a point where these guys get comfortable with me. Our quarterback room is what makes us special.”

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk
Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (825 Articles)

46 Comments on Johnny Manziel ‘chomping at the bit’ to play, but supports Ticats starter Masoli

1. Whew! I was going into withdrawal waiting for a new M anziel article! Good that he is a supportive teammate and can enjoy a win for a change.

• He is saying all the right things, but unless Masoli is injured, cant see Manziel getting in until we are up big time in 4th qtr. The only other way would be for June Cleaver to start playing both QB`s, but how could he rationalize that? The ego of a QB is very delicate, you dont mess with it. Masoli deserves to be starter no matter what, but for injury

2. I said it before I’ll say it again, it does no good to the league, media and fans to have Manziel sitting on the bench. He is only here for two years you want to squeeze as much plublicity out of him as possible. Hamilton should trade him. You have to keep Masoli. Masoli is a CFLer for his entire career, Manziel May not be.

• Red&White Forever // June 23, 2018 at 6:01 pm //

Not if he can’t get on the field. What part of 19-29, 332yds, 3TD, 1INT, 7 carries for 59yds, 521yds of total offense, and a 38-21 win on the road in Edmonton, makes you want to sit Masoli?

• Red&White Forever // June 23, 2018 at 6:07 pm //

Also, trading him would be a mistake, as the return wouldn’t be that high. Look at what Charleston Hughes got the Ti-Cats in return, and he’s a proven commodity. He sits until June Jones has a real reason to put him in, for now, carry the clip board, learn the game, support Masoli.

• We dont even know if Manziel will be any good? What makes you so sure he will be playing anywhere in 2 years? Who is going to trade for him anyway? I guess crazy Kavis Reed might, not sure what happens first, couple guys in white coats take KR away in straight jacket or Manziel has success?

3. RiderPrider77 // June 23, 2018 at 4:33 pm //

Definitely coming around to this guy…

4. I hope Johnny is ready to play if the Cats need him because he is all they have if Masoli needs time off.It’s a giant responsibility being the backup quarterback in the CFL. Just look at Streveler and how fortunate the Bombers are to have him.

5. Gary you are right. Manziel to generate interest all over Canada and states needs to take a series of reps every game with the starters. He has to be ready in case of injury or when things may not be going well for Masoli on an ad hoc basis.

6. Ticats4ever // June 23, 2018 at 4:57 pm //

He sits unless we need him or have run up the score. That’s what back ups do. Stay the course

7. steve M // June 23, 2018 at 5:34 pm //

In the old days a backup played the whole 2nd quarter..

8. Eatinghorses // June 23, 2018 at 5:35 pm //

If Mansoli falters, alright give him a try but throwing Manziel into a game just cause of his name is poor coaching and not good for anyone.

• Steve J. // June 24, 2018 at 12:05 pm //

I agree 100%. Of It’s not broken, don’t fix it.

• How do you know about how Johnny Manziel will do playing games with starting g offense.
      Manziel is not your typical backup q.b. He needs some game reps. And should not have to wait for an injury or blow out where he ends up playing with second string players.

He no doubt came out of college when comparing to mazoli as a super star he played in nfl with a lot of off field issues and will be back based on his talent and his one year up here dedicating himself to football. Do Hamilton fans not want to k ow if he is as good now and better than Masoli by mid season. Hamilton would have two starters on their team.

9. I agree with the statement “stay the course”. Masoli is solidifying himself as one of the best in the CFL.

All phases of the team are coming together quickly, you don’t mess with that.

Part of JFF’s road back is being HUMBLED and Masoli is the perfect guy to backup and learn from and be ready when called on.

10. Chris AB // June 23, 2018 at 5:56 pm //

why the f&^% doesn’t Hamilton trade Manziel to Montreal for cash, draft picks, real estate?

although even moreso now, all players will be avoiding going to Montreal….they aren’t really a pro team, from the owner’s absentee son, to the special teams coach (ahem, I mean GM who was recently the teams coach), to the QB ….players go there and watch their careers die

I’m pretty sure many don’t care and are just taking the cash

11. Dedmonton // June 23, 2018 at 5:59 pm //

Yes stay the course. Do not fix something until it’s broken.

12. Texan… just being out of football for 2 years humbled him already. What he needs is time to learn the different rules and plays.

13. I understand what you’re saying about him learning.

He has only been clean from the drugs slightly over a year I believe. That is why so many NFL teams passed on him. He is getting life back together and I can’t wait to watch him play again when the time is right.

14. all this crazy idea of trading Manziel is just dumb , why would you trade away what could be a great back up if something happens , plus the whole article is just dumb as well, every player is chomping at the bit to play . if he wasn’t he wouldn’t be a player and id be worried

15. john gatti // June 23, 2018 at 8:05 pm //

Manziel needs to be traded to toronto for the good of all.

16. Blackhawk89 // June 23, 2018 at 8:34 pm //

Feel bad for masoli everybody is just waiting and drooling for him to fail and struggle. Easily has the most pressure on him in the entire league but he has impressed so far.

17. Gatti’s proposal is probably the correct one. Masoli is in the process and has for all practical purposes established himself.

He doesn’t need the grief although he sure has handled it professionally.

JFF is a magnet that does need to be playing.

Only problem with a trade is that it leaves the Ticats without a clear #2, maybe there are some prospects out there.

But yes, probably better for all involved. Masoli can continue his upward trajectory without having to deal with the headache and JFF can possibly help a team out.

• john gatti // June 23, 2018 at 10:13 pm //

I said that before Ray got hurt. My reasoning is that the Argo’s need a draw. The CFL needs Toronto to work. Manziel gives the Argo’s a marketing tool and they can send Franklin to Hamilton.

18. I would consider – now – to trade Johnny Manziel for Chris Streveler. How about it Bombers, the great Johnny football for your no name rookie?

• LOL, our no name rookie who lit up the alouettes and nearly whooped the MOP?

Go drink some more piss

19. Yep! The more visability for the CFL the better.

Look at me, I’m way down south and became a fan because of JFF. Whether JFF is there or not I’m a fan now for the long haul.

• Tailgate YYC // June 25, 2018 at 12:08 pm //

Nice!!
      Now, where were you when the San Antonio Texans were around;)
      Manziel to Montreal. Good for the league……and for Montreal.

• They don’t need him now – they just signed a guy named Kenny Hill that was his successorbat Texas A & M and broke some of his records.

20. John Gatti I am sick and tired of everyone bending over backwards for Toronto which is the Los Angeles of Canada. Just like LA does not need the NFL Toronto does need the CFL. LA has 2 teams now but on their terms. No public money. Rams are filling seats but Chargers are not. A better model is the only game in town model. That would be always sold out Saskatchewan, Hamilton, Green Bay and Jacksonville. Let Toronto sink or swim on its own. Meanwhile expand to cities with no other pro teams such as Halifax, Quebec City, Waterloo-kitchener, london, Windsor, Victoria, and Anchorage.

21. Texan has a point. We have not seen ratings numbers from espn2 + but coverage of the CFL is up in the USA because of John and could translate to long term fans from the U.S. Especially in the Summer.

22. Montreal needs a real shot in the arm QB wise as well as a bid draw to get people in the stadium. On the other side every CFL team needs 2 good to go QBs on a roster with the #3 being a up and comer to develop. Can see the Cats keeping Manziel for at least to the trade deadline date which I think is game #9 of the season. If he is not playing a trade with Montreal for Willy and another starter would make sense.

23. The backup is there to come in when the starter gets hurt or falters or the game is out of reach. Why would Hamilton trade their backup regardless of who it is to help Mont. Tor. or any other team in the league? Or the league itself. I didn’t see any team helping Hamilton when they needed a QB.

24. If Manziel gets traded- which I would not agree with- it must not be to an Eastern Division team. That could come back to bite the Cats.

25. The way Masoli’s playing, Manziel will have to “chomp that bit” for a while. I disagree that Manziel wouldn’t bring much in a trade. I think the Als would pretty much hand over the keys to the car to get Johnny M. Barring injury, there’s not much need in the west. Wouldn’t be in the Cat’s best interest though. There’s a large drop-off from #2 to #3 on the depth chart. Start putting him in on the 3rd-and-shorts. Most teams do, Reilly being the exception. but Masoli is built like a tank, so that may not happen, either.

26. Something the press and fans are missing…
    Manziel needs stability in his recovery. Hamilton is a safe place with the team flat out supporting him in all aspects. He does his time, works the plan and goes back to the CFL. The LAST thing he needs is to go to the chaos which is Montreal.

• Sea of Dead // June 24, 2018 at 9:56 pm //

Likely the only comment I’ve read so far against this article that makes any sense at all. The rest of the ‘Trade Manziel to my team for a stale muffin and a cold coffee’ posters are really missing a key piece north of their shoulders.

• Sea of Dead // June 24, 2018 at 10:03 pm //

… assuming you meant to say ‘goes back to the NFL’ of course.

• In the NF, the terrific stress of being in a Billion dollar industry may be no favour to Johnny.Like Calgary’s Mitchell a career in Canada could be rewarding.

27. Tickets better not trade him.
    I think we finally have a team to contend for the Cup.Johnny looks to be comfortable on the sidelines and seems to be a team guy. His turn will come and when it does I hope he has the best game ever.Hang in there Johnny and good luck when time comes

28. Tickets not tickets

29. David Tress // June 25, 2018 at 1:21 pm //

If Manziel doesn’t play by mid season there should be a trade to a team that needs a starting quarterback. He!s too good to be sitting on the bench for two years.

• I have to agree. The thing about the CFL is that you NEED a 1 and a 1A. Johnny just needs to stay ready and be ready. His time will come.

30. 7 of the 9 starters went down last year, some for a long time. Johnny will get his chance.

31. Just watch: Ambroise is going to Gillooly Masoli. HAHAHHAHAHAHHA! I’m hilarious! (For you kids, Goggle it.)