Duron Carter marijuana case adjourned, again

Duron Carter’s Saskatoon marijuana case has been adjourned, again, for the third time.

That according to Alex MacPherson from the Saskatoon StarPhoenix.

His lawyer, Regina-based Louis Mercier, appeared by telephone and requested the adjournment. The appearance lasted less than five minutes.

Carter, who is from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is scheduled to return to court on June 27.

Carter was charged on Feb. 1 after security officers at the Saskatoon airport found marijuana in Carter’s bag following a search. Carter was also found with marijuana – pots cookies – at the Winnipeg airport last November.

It’s been reported that Carter is unlikely to face supplementary discipline from either the CFL or the Riders and CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie has said the CFL would have to re-examine its approach to marijuana in the wake of legalization legislation set to pass this summer.

67 Comments on Duron Carter marijuana case adjourned, again

1. RicoBeBlue&Gold // June 14, 2018 at 3:32 pm //

I’ll be adjourned till July 1st, oops It’s legal! lol

2. Former Rider fan // June 14, 2018 at 3:32 pm //

Enough already, deport him. He was caught trying to smuggle something illegal over an international border.

3. canadianfootballfan // June 14, 2018 at 3:34 pm //

Please just kick this senseless douche out of Canada already. I respect his dad a lot, but not Duron.

He’s a selfish piece of trash that can never just shut his mouth and concentrate of football. A distraction… A cancer…

• You must be a joy to be around with the holier than thou approach you carry, lol.

• I was unaware that Saskatoon was an international border. How do you know he didn’t purchase in Canada?

• canadianfootballfan // June 14, 2018 at 11:27 pm //

The airport is an international border. It’s called customs.

Are you really that ignorant?

• Your mom // June 14, 2018 at 8:52 pm //

If you don’t have anything nice to say, then…

4. RicoBeBlue&Gold // June 14, 2018 at 3:34 pm //

I’ll=it’ll, not even Monday.

5. Former Rider fan // June 14, 2018 at 3:36 pm //

@RicoBeBlue&Gold

After July 1st it may be legal to possess it but it still won’t be legal to smuggle it over an international boundary. Our government wants it’s cut of the sales.

6. I guess he’s scared to face the music. A real live roll model for our youth.

• RiderPrider // June 14, 2018 at 6:23 pm //

OMG HE SMOKES THE DEVILS LETTUCE!!! WON’T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!! THE HORROR!!

7. Well if anything it’s costing Moron Duron $$$ in legals……..Dork

8. Middle aged guy // June 14, 2018 at 3:54 pm //

Deport him, you or I can’t smuggle stuff over the border. Why should he be allowed to?

9. MR. Green // June 14, 2018 at 3:57 pm //

There’s thousand of people going through this currently. It’s in court. This is how the dumb court system works. He never hurt anybody, not like it was heroin.
    People act like he is part of the Cartel. They get upset like we’re in danger. He’ll get his fines and conditions. Terrible people wanna see his career and life ruined.
    I have not heard one report of another player, Canadian or American dedicate anything to Humboldt. ( BTW, were the Riders the only team to have a moment of silence in game 1 during preseason?) No players interacting with fans like Carter before games. He does many good things. He made that young cancer survivors year last season.
    You all focus on the bad and don’t believe in looking at everything. I am Canadian and I say this guy is ok to be here. Rider or not. He’s not getting the boot, get over it because whining on here won’t help your life cause. Carter is a great human being, great for our league, loyal to the CFL and loves being up here more than some Canadians.
    Cue some more hateful whiners’……………..

10. Albertaisfullofrednecks // June 14, 2018 at 4:01 pm //

Deport him? The product was in Canada, not at an international border.
    The marijuana was confiscated within CDN borders. Nothing was smuggled.

Cue some more hateful whiners’……………..

11. @ MR. Green

Would you think the same way if Carter was a Stampeder?

• MR. Green // June 14, 2018 at 4:34 pm //

Of course, I said that above. Having said that, I’m glad he’s a Rider.
      I love Mike Rielly. One of my favorite players. I like many players. I was also supportive of Ricky Williams when he was here. Thought he was good for the league.
      Roy Ficnh is different, however, I hope he gets it turned around, gets a second chance. I would not cry if he came back up. A good player like him is good for our league. Ball is in his court now.
      Cummings, well he is just dumb and his charge is not someone who I would give a second chance too, if he is guilty. People act like Carter’s charge is on that level.

12. little bo peep // June 14, 2018 at 4:05 pm //

How do you suppose it got to the airport?

13. Leave the court system decide his fate. He is not a hardend criminal. I don’t understand the hateful comments and judgments. Let him play football.

• Most intelligent comment on this thread. And to add to it…Let US talk about football, not law.
      Most here hardly understand the former that deeply, never mind the latter.

14. Huff's Neighbor // June 14, 2018 at 4:12 pm //

13 and counting. 125 by dinner tonight. Go Riders. At least we’re in the news, can’t say that for many others.

15. The court had some trouble hearing his council as the cha – ching sound of a cash register seemed to drown him out

16. Take this // June 14, 2018 at 4:31 pm //

He was caught by the border police. Of course it was illegally brought in. The border cops don’t patrol the streets. They just check people’s possessions on the way into the country.
    So because you think Duron Carter is a nice guy, he should be able to break the law? And it will still be illegal to cross the border with marijuana after it is legal to possess it. I am sure that prisons are full of “nice guys”. Stupid guys with no respect for the law, but “nice guys”.
    Even the date that it will become legal is in doubt. The latest that I have heard is that it may become legal late this year. Is Duron going to keep having it delayed for several months yet? Why don’t they put out a warrant for his arrest for not showing up for his court dates? Why doesn’t he face up to what he has done? No wonder the courts are backed up if they continue to allow these guys to waste the court’s time by continuing to delay.

• MR. Green // June 14, 2018 at 4:46 pm //

No one said he should not get his sentence because he is nice. Most of these end up in fines, etc. This is how the court system and lawyers work. I’ve seen cases get adjourned for 2 years. The prosecutor agrees and they adjourned. He does not need to be in court, until a trial or an agreement has been made. Lawyers represent many clients this way and tell them they don’t need to be there as thier representative. Put out a warrant? Come on. Are you that foolish.
      This is the court system. I don’t agree with it, however don’t be so niave as to think this is the only case carried on like this. Thousands across Canada are like this. Person charged does not need to show up Everytime as long as they are represented.
      Blame the prosecutors, Lawyers, Judges and law makers.
      I assume your a kid shilded from the world. There’s a lot to learn for you my little cute friend.

• Warrant ??? You can’t be serious ?? You are aware that lawyers represent their client on matters like this so as to not tie up the system.

If this matter were as serious as you’re made it out to be – the crown would have not granted the adjournment and established a set court date to resolve this matter.

• You don’t get it do you? His lawyer APPEARED FOR HIM and the courts accepted this. Even though you don’t like it that is the way it is

17. littlebopeepscrewshissheep // June 14, 2018 at 4:36 pm //

Domestic airport on a domestic flight. Marijuana was bought within CDN borders by a CDN resident with proper residency papers. Deportations are limited to acts of violence, embezzlement, financial fraud and misrepresentation at time of immigration. According to CDN laws Carters violation does not warrant deportation. It would have historically, but not today.
    Let the CDN courts and CFL commissioner sort this out.

18. I’m no pot smoker but it’s insanity to be charging people for a substance that will be legal very shortly. I’m tired of the courts plugged with this stuff when illegal pot shops are all over.

• We are not talking about a few mont from though Greg. It MAY become legal to rob banks one day (tightly doubt it but…). Don’t give that about big difference between the two. I am nor comparing the two, I an simply saying that while something MAY become legal tomorrow, does not make it legal today.

19. Why don’t all you whiners come spend a day with me at the correctional facility I work at and let’s see how you all tough talk hardened criminals. Kick Carter out for “smuggling” ? You’ve got to be kidding yourselves.

20. Lol so many whiners don’t even know the full details. AKA Take This… Hahaha
    It’s okay grandpa, marijuana isn’t as taboo as it once was.

• Take this // June 14, 2018 at 4:59 pm //

Where did I say that it was taboo? I said that he has charges against him and should quit being a weasel and face his charges. You are a real funny guy. Do you ever check the news? It is unlikely to be legal by July 1. It was reported as flights coming in from the States. Not as domestic flights. Perhaps you should quit laughing and smoking and check the facts. Fact: transporting pot is illegal. Fact: he was caught by the border cops. Fact: he has two charges pending. Fact: marijuana possession could remain illegal until late in the year. Some of you are as arrogant as Duron. No wonder you like him.

• Fact: you’re going to have an aneurysm if you keep obsessing about something good you can’t control.

21. So much more to be concerned about in this F’d up world, and folks on here want Duron to get the death penalty for weed.

• Take this // June 14, 2018 at 5:03 pm //

Now you are being ridiculous. All anyone wants is for him to go to court and deal with his charges. Just quit giving the finger to Canadian law. Try being a stand up guy, instead of flaunting who you are.

• Oy vey

• Yeah Yup, get your pitchfork already and bring a white bedsheet if you have one too!! Take This would appreciate the extra effort! Somebody in Canada was caught with weed!!! Let’s get him!!!

22. So many players I would rather have than this joker

23. White Horse // June 14, 2018 at 5:36 pm //

He still has to face drug possession charges regardless of whether it becomes legal or not. It was illegal at the time period!

24. So much anger and hate in here towards a marijuana charge, no less. It’s incredible how willingly people will show what’s in their hearts and minds. No wonder misery is growing, all you have to do is read the hate in here from low level IQ crowd. Sad commentary on society.

25. Take this // June 14, 2018 at 5:42 pm //

So why do the Duron lovers revert to ridicule and name calling?

• Oh I don’t know – low tolerance for ridiculous content ?

• If Duron was white I guarantee you would not blink an eye Take This. Your white privilege is showing today….calm down guy.

• Take this // June 14, 2018 at 6:15 pm //

You have no idea whether I am white, black or whatever. Truth is that I really don’t care what colour his skin is. Totally irrelevant to me. Colour is not an indicator of arrogance, idiocy or honesty.

• Only one dude on here that is this obsessed with Carter though…..

• As a man of colour I can say with 99.9% certainty you are caucasian “Take This” lol. Quit playing yourself like you’re holier than thou. If you have a problem, don’t hide behind a name on a CFL website (predominantly white fanbase) and go to the courts and raise your stink there.

26. Take this // June 14, 2018 at 6:09 pm //

More ridicule, huh? Is that the best answer you have?
    Half the fan base has no use for Duron and the other half is protective of him. The first half also have a low tolerance for indulging everything Duron does or says.

27. Read before u comment // June 14, 2018 at 6:14 pm //

Security officers at airports are not all border police he was flying within Canada

28. Take this // June 14, 2018 at 6:29 pm //

Global and CBC both reported it as being from the Border Control Services, not security. Duron doesn’t live here in the off season. He was flying in from the States for different functions.

• Good Lord……can you beat this any more ?

• The stupidness part is they cannot even decide on this site if it was domestic or international. Maybe good it is not in court until people know the freaking facts TO PRESENT IN COURT.
        GEEZ…Let it die for the love of football. You know I am not a Rider fan. You might know I am not a fan of Carter the person (despite his talent) but LET THIS DIE, AT LEAST until to goes to court cuz then you all will be arguing the judges ruling, guaranteed.

29. True Green // June 14, 2018 at 6:36 pm //

No story here folks, don’t wast your time reading this article or the thread (I didn’t)

30. BleedzGreen // June 14, 2018 at 6:50 pm //

The 2018 season is finally here and 3DN reports on THIS? SMFH.
    If anyone’s interested there’s a game tonight.

31. Did ManyHandles get banned again? Thought he would have been all over this.

32. It’s sad to see TSN celebrate a charged fellon drug user the way they do. Carter gets a full scene and glorified spot on the new opening song a video clip for the network. Way to go guys, way to show our kids that being a drug abuser takes second spot to being an athlete.

33. little bo peep // June 15, 2018 at 2:24 am //

Face the music Motormouth.

34. It’s all his own doings. Now it’s Daddy pay the lawyer because I don’t want to pay the piper.

35. Tailgate YYC // June 15, 2018 at 3:24 pm //

I have nothing against Pot or booze or other small sins most of us do but it is the ones that always take advantage and make it more difficult for the rest of us. We all know taking it to the airport is just a dumb thing to do regardless that it will be legal soon. No penalty is needed but Duron just needs to use his noggin a little better. Common sense. And for those who want to Hang Carter…..RELAX!!!CFL is on!!! Life is good:)

36. i Have alot of respect for his Pops actually. He struggled with addiction as a young, rich, famous, & talented dude and he has something like 28 yrs of sobriety. …And I’m talking about hard drugs and alcohol. Not the electric lettuce.