Ticats agree to terms with RB John White

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have agreed to terms with running back John White, per sources.

White was released by the Edmonton Eskimos the day before training camps opened.

The 26-year-old is coming off a torn ACL suffered in the second game of the 2017 season after rushing for over 100 yards and one touchdown in Week 1. That made two season-ending injuries for White in the last three years. He tore his Achilles during training camp and missed the entire 2015 campaign.

White had 1,350 yards from scrimmage with 886 on the ground in 2016 – the University of Utah product produces when healthy. In four seasons with the Eskimos, White played in 41 games with 376 carries for 2,110 yards (5.6-yard average) and 12 touchdowns adding 84 catches for 736 yards and four majors.

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk
Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (943 Articles)

28 Comments on Ticats agree to terms with RB John White

1. Bestcflfan // June 12, 2018 at 4:08 pm //

Als need this more, giving up on Brandon Rutley. I don’t know why they did nothing at RB

2. coldincalgary // June 12, 2018 at 4:10 pm //

Glad White has found something.

3. Hopefully Juan Blanco is in better shape now than he was when reported to TC in Edmonton. That’s why he was released even though he passed the medical.

4. in 2016, in a late-season game against the tiger-cats and then in the playoffs, white rushed for 292 yards on 35 carries, an 8.4 yard average, with two rushing touchdowns in that playoff game. i’d rather have him with us, than against us. hope he has a great season. great signing.

5. RicoBeBlue&Gold // June 12, 2018 at 4:29 pm //

If he can regain his step this man is a force.

6. Personally I think he’s finished. I would sign that Perkins that played for the Esks last season

• White Horse // June 12, 2018 at 8:03 pm //

Agreed. Surprised that we haven’t heard more of Perkins.This guy is a real sturdy running back giving extra effort during a run play. Perhaps blocking and swing pass is a problem for him. Esks didn’t want him back for 2018.

• Yes, LaDaruis Perkins. Small sample size but I really like him. Mind you, Something about John White I have always liked, may be something a stupid as he reminds me of John Henry White lol.

7. If he still has his speed and moves, he’s going to be a great fit in the Jones offense.

Lots of people thinking the team would keep Johnson’s phone number. I wonder if there were things on film they didn’t like… or whether Johnson just said no.

Or perhaps the Ticats are just banking on a White-out being better than a Storm, until things are Green again.

• TicatTO // June 12, 2018 at 6:32 pm //

Groan! No more punishment

• msd – I have to admit that I like your “turn of phrase” there! Gave me a little chuckle. And yes, good point that they didn’t just bring Storm Johnson back but I’m sure there was a reason.

• Tiger man // June 13, 2018 at 8:11 am //

The fact that Storm was released again after he left Hamilton is further vindication of their cut.

I’ve always liked White as a back. If he can stay healthy, Hamilton will have a heck of a running game.

8. timbits // June 12, 2018 at 5:48 pm //

depth chart shows 4 running backs should have made a pitch for Chapman unless he is not in their plans anymore..

• Chapman is untested we don’t know if he can play in the CFL, no training camp either.
      Three of the top 1st round draft picks from 2017 have been cut, two of the top receivers picked last year Behar and Verndervoort have a combined 1 catch between them. The number 1 pick Ekate was a bust and cut.
      Just because you are a 1st round draft pick doesn’t mean you can demand your salary, walk on to a field and be a starter.
      Tell him come to camp first, see if you can make the team, if you are good enough talk about incentives.

• Tiger man // June 13, 2018 at 8:13 am //

I agree Joe.

I like the “cut of your jib”.

• Hard to compare Chapman vs Behar and Vendervoort;
        They both played in the CIS vs he played NCAA ball.
        higher level of competition.

9. What do you mean pitch for chapman? There’s still working on a contract . He can’t go anywhere since he was drafted by the cats . White a great signing for the tabbies

10. 100% called this and White will do a great job blocking and receiving for the Ti-Cats.

11. Solara2000 // June 12, 2018 at 7:30 pm //

Could be the sleeper play of the year – if the AT has healed, JW could be tailor-made for JJ’s offence.

12. Edward Leslie // June 12, 2018 at 8:25 pm //

I like John White a lot and, as an Eskimos fan, I was disappointed that they cut him. I get that CJ Gable is the starter, but what if he gets injured? He’s had lots of injuries in his career.

John White’s a powerful runner and an excellent blocker. Hamilton made a nice last minute acquistion before the season starts.

13. I liked his running with the Esks. hope he is healed up.
    oskie wee wee

14. Green now White, I don’t care the colour, this is a simple black and white recruitment failure that does not bode well for the Cat’s offense when facing two monster, western teams in the coming days.

The Cats have already made their first error, not being fully prepared for the season.

• Philski // June 13, 2018 at 4:11 am //

Huh?

• I agree with Philski. Huh?

• Getting a running back,cut before training camp,at the last minute, before the season and replacing Green whom was not a proven in durability or Quality.

This is a good example,of not having the right personal available and well prepared with the team.I suspect the same applies to receivers,at the last minute training Adams for receiver?

Only one free agent after two years to be playing with the team this season,the kicker.I understand how other teams have prepared for this season but I fail to see that the Cats are ready to win games.I hope, Philski your ” huh ” proves to be correct and the Cats win a few games.

15. Als Fan // June 13, 2018 at 9:51 am //

Loved John White in Edmonton. Hopefully he’ll stay healthy. If so, He’ll make up the points for the Cats when the Masoli/Manziel combo will eventually fail to put up points this season.