The Saskatchewan Roughriders have made their final cuts so here’s a look at a projected depth chart as well as thoughts on the roster construction.
1. The Riders are razor thin at Canadian. They have seven solid starters but they’ve only got one reserve Canadian offensive lineman, no back up behind Jerome Messam (they could use Spencer Moore to get through a game) and not much by the way of flexibility. Other than that, everything is fine.
2. If they did have to make a ratio change, they could move Bladek into the right guard spot where they are projected to start American Jarvis Harrison or start two Canadian defensive tackles by pairing Eddie Steele with Zach Evans. Steele may come in handy as an emergency offensive lineman as well.
3. After releasing Rob Bagg, the Riders Canadian receivers have a combined 39 career CFL receptions. Josh Stanford might be good but he’s untested. If they have to start two Canadian receivers, it’s an even bigger gamble.
4. This line up features Canadian Sam Hurl starting a linebacker – cue Bomber fans asking how the Canadian linebacker thing is going – but it’s possible Cam Judge starts there.
5. The secondary doesn’t look too bad, though Nick Marshall is a rookie starting at the boundary corner – assuming they don’t start Duron Carter at that spot. Field corner Jovon Johnson is 34 years old…but continues to play well.
6. The defensive line could be scary good.
7. So could the receiving corps with Carter, Namaan Roosevelt and Caleb Holley – assuming the offensive line can protect the quarterback long enough to get them the ball.
8. Which quarterback? Good question. We’ve listed Collaros as the starter but it could very well be Bridge. David Watford has really impressed the coaching staff.
9. Brett Lauther is the kicker after an outstanding pre-season. He’s a good kid – I covered him in Hamilton – and I hope he does well. Having old man Bartel around to keep things light should help.
Latest posts by Drew Edwards (see all)
- CFL ratings report: West semi draws big ratings but overall playoff numbers dip - November 16, 2018
- Henry Burris admits Riders reached out, offers #FakeNews explanation - November 14, 2018
- Commissioner Randy Ambrosie says CFL considering changes after Bridge hit - November 12, 2018