Argos QB Noah Picton will go back to USports – with Trestman watching

Canadian quarterback Noah Picton didn’t take a snap in either of the Toronto Argonauts pre-season games, but that was by design according to head coach Marc Trestman.

“My only goal for Noah was that he gets back safely and can play for his team during next season. So I wasn’t going to put Noah out there and be part of a situation where heaven forbid something would happen to him without any practice time and have to go back to his team an injured player,” Trestman said after the Argos closed out their exhibition schedule on Guelph on Thursday night. “He wants to finish with his team and I was going to make sure he gets on that plane safely and has a great season out west.”

Picton has one year of eligibility remaining at the University of Regina and the 22-year-old is already the Rams and Canada West conference all-time leading passer with 9,840 yards. While didn’t take a single physical rep in practice with the Argos, Picton absorbed a lot of information.

“I have no regrets. Coming here I learned a load and physically the reps may not have been there, but mentally I felt like I made strides, so it was definitely a huge benefit to me just to get your name in front of guys like Marc Trestman and make yourself noticeable. Now he is going to be watching Can West film,” Picton said.

Trestman said he is going to watch every game Picton plays for Regina during his final USports season. The Argos offensive mastermind and the CFL’s career leading passer Anthony Calvillo spent individual one-on-one time with Picton during training camp meetings.

“He’s captured it all, he’s been a great student, he’s done everything we’ve asked – I can see why Jim [Popp] signed him. I think he’ll have a chance to come back here after another year and have a chance to compete to play in this league,” Trestman said. “He’s a talented young man, he can make all the throws, he’s a natural leader, he’s charismatic. When his time is ready he’ll come here and he’ll compete to play quarterback.

“I just feel like he’s got the makeup, personality, he’s extremely intelligent, he’s got an ability to assimilate a locker room, you just see that in his personality. I’m really excited about him, I’m excited to watch him play this year, I’m excited where his career takes him.”

Picton plans to use the experience in Toronto to take his game to a higher level.

“It’s motivating, you have some eyes on you now, the pressure is on but it’s exciting. I’m looking forward to getting back with my guys and taking the things I’ve learned from coach Trestman and A.C. and Ricky [Ray] and apply it to the Rams,” Picton said.

Back in 2015, Picton attended the Saskatchewan Roughriders training camp as part of the CFL’s internship program. He readily admits this experience was much different.

“In Saskatchewan, I was still very young and I didn’t know how to operate as a true pro, how quarterbacks act or lead by example within their teams. I learned a lot of that in Saskatchewan with Kevin Glenn and Darian Durant,” Picton said.

The Argos offered and signed Picton to a formal contract which allowed him to be with the team for the entire training camp, allowing a more mature Picton to glean exactly what he must do to make a legitimate push for a CFL roster spot in the future: work on his arm strength, enhance his athleticism and bulk up.

“You get here and its one thing to see it from standing behind the line of scrimmage at practice, but it’s another thing to actually be out there with the bullets flying and take those hits,” Picton said.

“I’ve seen it up close and I’ve realized that I’m going to have to put on a little bit of weight and some muscle to hang with these guys.”

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk

Latest posts by Justin Dunk (see all)

Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (887 Articles)

43 Comments on Argos QB Noah Picton will go back to USports – with Trestman watching

1. So he’s got no arm strength, he’s cartoonishly small and hopelessly slowfooted.

Picton has a better chance at being a mascot than a QB.

• Confused // June 8, 2018 at 6:19 pm //

You continue to be one of the biggest bullies and most pathetic “grown” man. The way you call people names and insult them, I really hope you don’t have kids of your own. I also wish we could critique your height, your weight, how you look, what you do for a living, how well you do it etc. etc. You are truly one in a pathetic human being. It makes me sick every time I see your name pop up.

What value do your comments really add to any website you post on? You got run off rider fans, so I guess you decided to come here instead

• BC Dave // June 8, 2018 at 6:59 pm //

Confused, he probably is lost at his job. Some people have no ability to climb and make themselves better so they feel compelled to bring everyone else down to make themselves LOOK better (in their own minds).

I think everyone can see thru this guy now and knows that he really knows nothing. Oh sure, he might accidentally be right sometimes but as I pointed out in another thread, even a broken clock is right twice every day.

• Dave – where is your comment about Picton?
          Okay, you don’t like Area51s comment. I understand when someone criticizes a Canadian it hurts some feelings.
          But the reality is that Picton is just not ready for the pros and the other QBs are much better.

• Coming from our resident CFL troll, you’re defense of your fellow troll is a tad disingenuous. TFC is unwatchable and you come here to troll, nice.

• This is pro football, my friend – – not rec league football where everyone gets to play regardless of size or ability.

As always, I’m here to educate and enlighten.

Just as last year at this time when I explained how Johnny Jennings is not a pro level QB and that it’s impossible to win with Matt Nichols as your starting QB.

Many were upset and insisted I was wrong – – but by the end of the season it was obvious that my assessment was on point.

Ironically, when I have positive things to say about a player people also get upset and insist that I’m wrong.

Such as when I pointed out that Micah Awe was a very good LB and everyone wanted to focus on how he KTFO’d a few guys – – as if that’s a bad thing for a LB.

• i’ve responded several times to this ‘friend.’ it was a waste of time; he is a waste of space. he adds almost nothing of value. he is trolling. he is purposefully ignorant. he seems to get some joy from it. twisted – – – -.

• Troll51 unfortunately has emotional issues. He has an insatiable need for attention and again unfortunately doesn’t realize it. It’s quite sad really that he has become so self deluding.

• OA Argo // June 11, 2018 at 1:38 pm //

What about Picton? you can complain about other posters but the fact is Picton is just not good enough for the CFL.
            A few other Canadian players were released too. You can’t keep these guys around just because they were great in the CIS

• grnrider // June 8, 2018 at 6:21 pm //

You really are a joke! Do u think that Trestman & Popp would waste time w/someone that they don’t think has talent?? Wake up or even better, learn about football.

• White Horse // June 8, 2018 at 8:31 pm //

The same rhetoric was said about Buckley. Rider fans laughed at him because he is a two time Hec CRIGHTON AWARD WINNER. Now with Picton…He is a awesome candidate for CFL stardom. 51 is correct. Trestman is strictly lip service to a young Canadian QB who is going nowhere, now and the future. American coaches do not like Canadian QB’s for a reason. Picton has even less chance than Buckley
        Who was 6’1″ and 200lbs. By the way Buckley was a much better QB than Picton was every day of the week.

• I could use so many synonyms for stupid to describe that post (and everything 51 said as well).

Buckley was the real deal. DD was sky high on him and he knows more about QBs than every commenter around here. If he didn’t think so highly of Buckley, they wouldn’t have moved Tate and wouldn’t have risked not having a different option if something happened to BLM.

As for Canadian QBs in general, everyone who has watched him play is pretty sure that O’Connor is the real deal and will be a CFL starter. And, have you forgotten about Bridge who can definitely play in this league.

You and 51 can feel free to confirm that you’re just bitter old men any type you want.

• BC Dave // June 8, 2018 at 7:08 pm //

And you, “MY FRIEND” (lol) have a better chance of being a department store mannequin than a human being?

Noticed a lot of posts from you recently. You had a few days off from your p/t job of standing on the street in your clown outfit waving people into the burger joint? No wait, you are probably too slow-footed and lack the intelligence to even be a clown.

• BC Dave – Take it easy Dave, just because I have floppy shoes and a red nose, doesn’t mean you can paint all of us clowns with the same brush 😉

• Classless but it goes with the Foley turf. You discredit Rick Foley every post.

2. Hello Neuman // June 8, 2018 at 6:19 pm //

Area51, fortunately you are a comment troll, not a GM. Give the kid a break.

3. I dont know being from Regina people have been doubting this kid from day 1 in university because of his size and all he did was put up huge passing numbers. From his first year you could see the kid could ball. Now I get pro football is a whole new ball of wax but heck I’m already proud of the guy. What are his chances? Probably very slim but you cant win if you dont play right?. Here’s hoping he has another monster year for the rams!

4. Doug Mc Clintock // June 8, 2018 at 6:27 pm //

Area51, Your comments are hopeless. I like these weak, cartoonish, small and slowfooted guys like Picton who is an established player in Canadian College football. Trestman’s views are better than yours, so smarten up and keep your views to your self ! Always have a good word for your fellow man and hope everybody much success ! Have you ever played football ! I have and been on a championship team, how about you ?

• Trestman’s views? he said all the nice things that coaches always say. Did you think Trestman or any other coach would come out and say “we see him in practice and he is really not good enough for the CFL” ??
      He is going back to the CIS because he’s not good enough.
      The CIS is not the NCAA – the CIS play a 6 game season, the NCAA 12 games in a season, the NCAA defensive players are bigger, stronger, faster and better coached than a CIS defense.
      Picton has only faced a CIS defense, he comes to camp and he is facing players that are much bigger and faster than anything he’s ever seen.
      The coaches are not going to keep him on the team just because he is Canadian

• So how do you feel about a pick from the great NCAA school Iowa State that has failed miserably. Just because you’ve read a few articles and can bring a little bit more than the usual MLS troll doesn’t mean the rest of us are buying your schtick. A soccer troll you will always be.

5. Sadly feels like a come hand around the big boys gesture. To not even give the guy a single rep in camp is disappointing.

• I think it’s pretty obvious that Trestman didn’t want to risk injuring him when they want him to get another season in before coming back to fully try out. Sounds like the experience of preparing mentally under Trestman, Calvillo and Ray would be a hell of a lesson that he’s privileged to get.

• BC Dave // June 8, 2018 at 7:02 pm //

I am sure it was disappointing for him Phil but think of how much he might have learned and grown. I am guessing that he did not regret being there these last few weeks.

6. Tinhead296 // June 8, 2018 at 6:31 pm //

Area 51: you are a complete asshole. The kid has made great strides since he was in Rider camp and he has learned a lot at Argos camp. Every player is young at some point and they will only mature and get better, and all they want is a chance. So why don”t you stick your head back in your ass and quit making ridiculous low intelligence comments.

• How do you really feel tinhead 🙂

• Every single kid playing NCAA or CIS football “just wants a chance” to play at the pro level.

Sadly, it’s completely unrealistic for most because they’re physically incapable of doing so.

7. TheLastArgoFan // June 8, 2018 at 7:00 pm //

Nobody here should take anything that Arse51 says seriously.
    He clearly enjoys being miserable.
    He’s not fake news, he’s fake human.

8. Lancaster/Reed // June 8, 2018 at 7:26 pm //

Here are Noahs combine results. “ The 5-foot-9, 177-pound Picton had a better 40-yard dash (4.84 seconds), vertical jump (30.5 inches), broad jump (eight feet 9.5 inches), shuttle run (4.4 seconds) and three-cone drill (7.33 seconds) than Strong and finished just one repetition behind his 6-foot-4, 215-pound counterpart in the 225-pound bench press”. As a QB, he seems like a pretty good overall athlete. And 4.84 – 40 yd dash doesnt sound that slow footed to me.

• He is fast and can jump, but does that qualify for a spot on the team?
      As I stated above the NCAA QBs have faced bigger, stronger, faster, defences. Picton has only thrown against CIS caliber defences.
      A Hec Creigton award is not a Heisman award……….

• And MLS is not EPL, we know it sucks so there is really no need of you to come here and try and denigrate the CFL

• OA Argo // June 11, 2018 at 1:42 pm //

Hey Killa – do you have an opinion about anything about the CFL or do you just love the EPL and hate the MLS ?
          What makes you think the guy likes soccer?

9. solara2000 // June 8, 2018 at 7:27 pm //

Comments like Area51’s are boorish and reflect an insecure person, often confused with a bully whose only agenda is tear down others because they have no esteem.

Whatever rock you are hiding under, please stay there.

• MJ Bandit // June 8, 2018 at 8:53 pm //

You figured that out, eh ?

This clown has an agenda here – so keep responding to his garbage and encouraging him.

Picton might get another Argo look – but i doubt it will be serious. Laval’s Hugo Richard got zero CFL interest this year either, and he could go back for a 5th year of CIS ball too – better pro QB prospect than Picton IMO – way bigger with more mobility and a strong arm – but meaningless to CFL decision makers who clearly favor any and all American QBs they can drag up here.

O.Connor & Merchant – up next CFL draft – are better CFL QB prospects IMO, but doubtful they get a real CFL look either – it’s the CFL way – to be dismissive of a lot of Canadian talent at certain positions. Ohio’s Nathan Rourke has a great season in US college ball last year, and has 2 years left there – but look for CFL deep thinkers to find a way to write him off too. Same old / same old – just like that Agenda 51 dork.

10. I just call it as I see it, my friends.

Trestman mentioned several times how he was concerned for Picton’s safety and didn’t want to see him get hurt.

Yes, no doubt. Picton would get snapped in half, because you know guys aren’t going to let up when they’re battling for roster spots.

It’s the equivalent of having an 8th grade school kid compete against grown men. It’s one thing to be that tiny if you’re fast, but Picton runs a 4.84 40. That’s slower than most DLinemen.

I stand by my assessment that Picton has ZERO chance of ever taking a regular season snap at the pro level. If by some miracle he does, I’ll be the first to congratulate him acknowledge that my assessment was wrong.

But when he doesn’t, everyone can quietly admit to themselves that once again Area51 was correct.

• Lancaster/Reed // June 8, 2018 at 7:58 pm //

Maybe in the nfl combine, but the cfl combine most dl were around 5 sec.

• That’s correct – – which is why most of them won’t be playing at the pro level.

• he is right maybe 51 could have rephrased it differently the first post but he is right

• It’s a refreshing change to see someone else who isn’t trying to deny facts or sugarcoat reality.

11. BC Dave // June 8, 2018 at 7:42 pm //

Solara, you for got to add, please stay there, “MY FRIEND” lol.
    HAHAHAHAHA, he thinks he has friends here. Too Funny !

I for one would love to add rocks on top on the rock you speak of, just to make sure.

12. I doubt Noah will get another chance in the CFL. He will probably be channeled into coaching. Next season Michael O’Connor will be the Canadian quarterback to watch in CFL camps.

13. How’s he going to watch the games aren’t televised?

14. OA Argo // June 11, 2018 at 1:40 pm //