TSN finally launches live streaming, means you can watch the CFL without cable

They’ve done it without much fanfare, but TSN has finally launched an online streaming service that should allow CFL fans to watch the games without a cable subscription.

There’s been no official announcement from either the league or the broadcaster – that I can find anyway – and there is precious little information available on the site as to the new initiative. But if you go to login to watch live video at TSN.ca, there’s is now a “TSN Direct” option. And you can sign up here. Looks like it’s available through the TSN GO app on iOS as well.

It looks plans are $24.99 a month, matching the price for SportsNet Now, which was launched more than two years ago. The timing of the launch likely has more to do with the upcoming World Cup of Soccer – hence the pic of Ronaldo and Messi in the promo – than the CFL. But whatever, it’s here.

Fans have been clamouring for a streaming service for years but the CFL has been at the mercy of TSN, which has been slow to adopt a streaming-only option. But with cord-cutting forcing a seismic shift on the industry – this story says 1 in 4 Canadians are now going without cable – Bell has finally gotten on board.

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1457 Articles)

48 Comments on TSN finally launches live streaming, means you can watch the CFL without cable

1. RicoBeBlue&Gold // June 7, 2018 at 1:02 pm //

All I can say is… Bout time.

• I agree it’s about time.
      Millions of people cutting the cord over the past few years and TSN has been slow to adapt.
      Most young people are “streaming” their programs on their tablets/Iphones and don’t watch the TV. They have to get into that market.
      If millenials are subscribing to this new service to watch soccer, hopefully they will discover the CFL

• All you need is the TSN streaming and Netflix and an antennae. Why would you need cable/satelite

• brian johnson // June 8, 2018 at 11:56 am //

You need cable wire to get streaming in smaller cities.
        NOT CABLE SERVICES. We pay $40 per month unlimited streaming telus. Have smart TV and pay a services provider $20 per month and get every channel available. Every channel. TSN 12345
        CBC, CTV, all NFL games all NHL games etc.
        Total. $60 per month. Great picture quality

2. Totally agree. This was needed and wanted years ago!!!

3. Howard Wulkan // June 7, 2018 at 1:14 pm //

I’m considering getting this, as I don’t have any cable subscription right now. It works out to under $2/game if you sign up for 6 months. Not a bad price if you plan on watching most/all CFL games in a season (which I generally do).

• Penny Less // June 7, 2018 at 8:33 pm //

I’m not paying $150 to watch the CFL. Nope, not gonna happen. I cut the cord in 2007. I don’t mind ads, but I’m not about to pay for the privilege of watching them. But you go ahead and hand over your money.

• It’s not just about the CFL. They’ve brought it on-line just in time for the World Cup

• Then buy ESPN+ for $4.99US a month and get yourself a US IP address for around $50cdn a year

4. I cut the cord last November, went internet only. This is good thing, although overpriced compared to cable/Sat pricing, which itself is way too high, but its a step in the right direction.

5. Harrison // June 7, 2018 at 1:43 pm //

Finally a LEGAL option to watch the CFL for fans that don’t have cable/satellite. I’ve been bugging the CFL and TSN for years to launch something like this.

6. … I literally just signed up for cable so I could watch this season

7. F I N A L L Y

8. i pay ten bucks a month for a small sports package from bell which includes tsn and i also can stream all the games from tsn on my pc for free because of the subscription so 25 bucks is a little to much

9. Is this for America or just in Canada?

10. Adam Stocker // June 7, 2018 at 3:55 pm //

Way to catch up with times TSN. Only four years late.

Sportsnet and TSN’s streaming services are both overpriced. Considering ESPN+ is $5, Dazn is $12.50.

11. canadianfootballfan // June 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm //

I have two words for people… Bit Torrent.

12. Ticats63 // June 7, 2018 at 4:14 pm //

$25 + tax = $28.25 x 12 months = $339.

That’s a bit expensive if you ask me (I know, who’s asking!).

If they charged a competitive rate (to cable) of $9.99 a month, I’m sure they would get more than two and a half times the subscriptions and therefore more revenue from this. ($25 is 2.5 times $10).

• ESPN+ is $4.99 a month and they are showing ALL CFL games. A US IP will cost you $30US for the whole year. (IP Hide)

13. mr62cats // June 7, 2018 at 4:43 pm //

I just signed up yesterday for my annual 6 month TSN cable addition…. mainly for the CFL. But I keep it until after the Super Bowl. With Cogeco, the TSN subscription adds about 11 bucks a month at most to my cable bill. So….streaming will cost almost twice as much. If I got rid of Cogeco and went cable-free the streaming would good. But my wife enjoys having cable so it stays. I suspect I am not alone in that situation.
    Good to see TSN finally adding a streaming option though.

• mr62cats // June 8, 2018 at 10:01 am //

Just got things straightened away with Cogeco this morning. I was able to add TSN at no extra cost with my 10 pack channel mix subscription.
      However, using cable for internet, phone and TV will eventually come to an end. It’s getting way too expensive and we will eventually want to find some other alternative. But…..it’s good to have the CFL back on my TV again for another season. Oski-Wee-Wee!

• I cancelled my home phone saved $30, don’t need it these days. Then I cancelled the recorder boxes, next came the satellite.
        Then only internet.
        Everything is Internet streaming these days.
        5 years or 10 years from now, there will be very few people watching TV.

14. Foodie Foodnerd // June 7, 2018 at 5:10 pm //

This new, and increasingly impressed CFL fan from south of the border would love to have full access to CFL games!!!

Every article I’ve read so far about a player’s severe injury is filled with well-wishes from fans of all teams, and intelligent speculation about its impact on the entire league.

I’ll spare you the petty garbage that fills NFL fan forums; y’all could swim in that muck yourselves if you chose, but the more I follow your league, teams and fans, the more you impress me and earn increasing respect.

My only wish for you is that your hope of increased eyes from our side of the border brings mostly classy, true fans of the sport that fit in with the vast majority of you CFL veterans.

• Cal Gary Shampeders // June 7, 2018 at 8:38 pm //

Ug. These people think Johnny Headcase is the CFL’s savior and that the venture capitalist commissioner is a communist. You’ll find out soon enough about the quality of discourse here.

• But you do have access to ALL CFL games. Last year every CFL game was on ESPN3. This year it’s available on ESPN+ a new streaming pay service

• ESPN+ is $4.99 a month in the US, they are showing ALL CFL games this year

• Hey Foodie Foodner – you do have access to ALL CFL games.
      You guys have had better access to CFL games then some of us in Canada !!!
      Yes believe it or not. You had ALL CFL games on ESPN3 for the last 3 or 4 years. In Canada we had not access to streaming for CFL games.
      You now have ESPN+ at $4.99 a month.
      We are just getting TSN streaming but a hell of a lot more expensive!!

• Welcome! Make no mistake I wish ill on the other teams from a competitive standpoint but I am always happy to see the players on other teams do well. OUR league is stronger with better competition!

15. I tried to sign up but it takes me to a error page lol

• LOL – then go on to ESPN+ pay $4.99 US a month and get yourself a US IP address through one of the IP hide providers on-line.
      You can watch CFL games cheaper on ESPN+ than TSN

16. This is long overdue. The CFL and TSN have finally did something good for the fans and improve CFL presence.

17. Bryan Baker // June 7, 2018 at 11:05 pm //

I get cable and all sports channels for $25. Not pay that for just one…

18. welcome to the 21st century TSN….Now how many hours of ads are you going to make me watch before I can get access to the streaming of a game?

19. Get an IP hide – cost $29.99 per year.
    You can have a US IP to watch ESPN+ at $4.99 per month
    With our IP hide you can also select the UK and watch the BBC or ITV live

20. habbernack // June 8, 2018 at 10:57 am //

Go to …stream2watch.live.totally free

21. But stream2watch etc not that clear.
    I can also watch any Netflix, Amazon or HBO for free on couchtuner – not always clear but free and you need an adblocker

22. Given that I currently have to pay $65/month for cable (basic + TSN) to watch sports (literally all I watch) this is such a long needed service. I can finally cut the cord on cable TV!

23. Lyle Schweighardt // June 8, 2018 at 3:45 pm //

I appreciate that cable/satellite is expensive, but…TSN pays the CFL for broadcast rights…why would anyone assume that they should provide it for free to anyone.

I will say, “Thank you, TSN”.

FOR THE REST OF YOU UNGRATEFUL TWITS…ITS CALLED BUSINESS.

• No one is asking for “Free” – why is it that ESPN can offer ESPN+, which covers ALL CFL games for $4.99 a month?
      We want reasonable pricing.

24. RicoBeBlue&Gold // June 8, 2018 at 4:11 pm //

Back to the TSN boardroom with ya, Lyle. Nothing wrong with wanting a deal every now and then in our pay through the nose existence.

Ungrateful!? LOL

25. What an outrageous price. Same for RSN. Far more expensive that the pricing as part of a cable bundle.

While I don’t pirate broadcast signals, this is exactly why it happens. Bell and Rogers deserve everything that will happen to them through illegal streaming.

26. Catsfan69 // June 9, 2018 at 9:13 pm //

I may have considered this for $10 or less.. but $25 is way too much. As previous post says $25 gets you some decent ‘grey’ market IPTV with a few hundred channels.

27. david livesey // June 10, 2018 at 2:10 pm //

CRAZY!! As a retired person who has to have TV anyway, a TSN subscription is no attraction here. Like the Jays let them loose another generation of fans.