Jones: Riders coaches will have to take pay cuts (including him)

Saskatchewan Roughriders head coach Chris Jones says he and his coaches will have to take a pay cut after reports that the CFL will impose a cap on football operation expenses starting next season.

“Everybody is going to have to take a pay cut,” Jones said.

You too? A reporter asked.

“Absolutely. What do you think I’m going to hang everybody else out to dry and I’m not going to take [a cut]. You should know me better than that,” Jones said.

“Everybody’s got this vision that I’m making more than the commissioner and that we got four million coaches, that’s not accurate. Now they’ve changed the landscape and we will comply like everybody else.”

According to TSN reporter Dave Naylor, the hard money number will be $2.723 million and coaching staffs will be maxed out at 11 and front office executives at 17.

“A lot of people will look at what we do and think that we’re breaking the bank, a lot of our coaches are making a lot less than everybody else’s coaches. We were working basically off nearly the same budget that everybody else is,” Jones said.

“Expenditures are a little bit higher than probably what they should be than money coming in. You gotta make it add up, it’s gotta make sense in the bottom line. I feel like our commissioner is going what he can do. I haven’t been able to say whether it’s right, wrong or indifferent. I know I work for the CFL first and then Saskatchewan second so this is how I’ve earned my living for 16-17 years and hope that we can continue to do that five years, 10 years from now. It was made with the right thoughts in mind. We’ll have to support it and see.”

Just based on sheer numbers, there will be coaches who get pink slips when the football expenditures cap takes effect in 2019. Current coaching staff numbers across the league: the Montreal Alouettes have 14 people on staff, Ottawa Redblacks 10, Hamilton Tiger-Cats 11, Toronto Argonauts 15, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 10, Saskatchewan Roughriders 15, Edmonton Eskimos 13, Calgary Stampeders 10 and B.C. Lions 10. That means 13 coaches would be unemployed in 2019.

127 Comments on Jones: Riders coaches will have to take pay cuts (including him)

1. Jack in Hamilton // June 6, 2018 at 4:44 pm //

Randy “Mr Socialism” Ambrosie

Talk about taking huge steps backwards

• Randy “Business Sense” Ambrosie

Its a step forward to level the playing field and strengthen the league. It takes real money in all our CFL centres to run the show fairly and effectively. Survival of the fittest wasn’t working. Gotta love Randy, great leader with a strong vision!

• How much of a cut is the commissioner and CFL staff (whatever the heck they do?) going to take? Pretty sure CFL staff aren’t reviewing contracts and criminal records of players like they are supposed to be doing. That all affects the bottom line of the league. There is only so much money to go around and every penny the league can save helps all the teams. So, much of a cut is Randy Ambrosie going to take? Sweet **** all is what his decrease is.

I also strongly support an increase in the pay levels for officials so you don’t end up with the type of person doing it because they get off on the attention they get when they throw a red flag and bring the game to a halt.

• Jeff Garcia's Agent // June 6, 2018 at 5:16 pm //

Welcome to the Communist Football League.

What’s next? Putting a cap on merchandise sales? Because we can’t have some teams be successful while others are floundering. That wouldn’t be “fair”.

• brian johnson // June 7, 2018 at 11:13 am //

Totally agree. Backward step for sure.
      You own a team and want a good coach you pay more.
      West averages 4000 more per game in attendance.
      More cash better team.

• Capatist Jack // June 7, 2018 at 8:24 pm //

Unbelievable. Ambrosie is the ultimate capitalist, and if you had even a slight clue you’d know about his background. And if you had even a slight clue you’d realize that the commissioner absolutely has no power to do this unilaterally. You’d realize that if all 9 ownerships were not on board, this decision would never have been so much as contemplated. I realize football fans are not smart, but come on.

• calling BS on this one. Successful teams with money want no part of this, Very disappointing to aggressive teams. Whats next???

• Hmmmm. First. Thank you for calling us CFL fans stupid Mr. Ambrosie. Disrespectful. Second. Are you seriously going to keep trolling this awesome fan site? You Collangello’ing us? Because if you are this won’t end well for you.

• brian johnson // June 9, 2018 at 9:26 pm //

Aggressive well to do teams that are winners want nothing to do with this plan. Teams with small tiny stadium stadiums with small attendance who struggle to compete are all for it. What about free enterprise
          Now they want a team in Halifax with smaller stadium and attendance. That will help the positive for vibrate teams. OR NOT.

2. So previously players needed a second job to makes ends while playing in the CFL, now coaches need 3.

LEAGUE IS A JOKE

• But you continue to spend your time commenting on it. Time for you to get a hobby! Why spend time on something you don’t care about.

• So Jason tells you to shove it and stop acting like a baby in the other forum, so now you try to move onto to me?

And i never said i didn’t like it – i said it was a joke. Don’t you like jokes?

• Jason, my favourite football expert? I’ve read his deep analysis of the NFL Quarterback Shuffle many times for laughs!!!
          Never have understood people that spend time with sports they don’t like. I’m not a baseball fan, I’m not a soccer fan, but I think I’ll go leave a bunch of comments telling everyone how boring both sports are. Get a hobby. Any chance you have lunch in the boardroom with Jason? You guys sure are hilarious.

• I don’t know all the history you guys have, but he made you look like a fool and put you in your place.

I’m not looking for a battle, but I never back down…. so ease up.

• I don’t know why either of you are involving me in your discussion. Leave me out of it please!

• Put me in my place? Made me look like a fool? Don’t think many would agree with you but I can see why you would stick together. The two of you have an agenda which I’m getting bored of as well.
          From this point on maybe I’ll concentrate on mocking cricket and mixed doubles tennis instead. Don’t care for those sports, but why should that matter.

• That is a great idea!

Does that mean you will stop annoying everyone in here with your useless banter?

• Jeff // June 7, 2018 at 3:09 pm //
          That is a great idea!

—————————————————————
          No, don’t think I’ll move on. Don’t believe I’m annoying anyone other than you and Jason.
          Although I could leave comments on articles relating to cricket and mixed doubles tennis, when you really think about it, it is kind of pathetic that someone would get enjoyment criticizing sports that others follow. It’s almost like someone doesn’t have anything better to do with their time. Not sure what the motivation would be, but it sounds sad, very sad.

• If you average it out,each would be making $160k,which if you compensate that coordinators make $100k (which is on par with the ncaa)that leaves an extra $120k for higher roles like head coaches and gms. I don’t think lineman or specialized coaches are making $160k either in the current model, so there’s be money from them too going towards higher positions while no decrease in their own pay

• you need to double check your math. $2.723M / 28 positions = $97,250 avg. For every position making over 100k there will have to be some schmuck making less than $100k.

• How terrible that someone might actually make less than $100k!!! By the way, the average Canadian income in 2016 was $51,000. In 2015 you only had to earn $225,409 in Canada to be considered in the so-called 1%!!!

Possible salary structure under the proposed rules:
          GM = $250k
          AGM = $125k
          Scout = $90k
          Scout = $90k
          Scout/Other = $90k
          Scout/Other = $90k

HC = $200k
          OC/DC/ST = $125k
          Position Coaches x4 = $100k
          Entry level coaches x3 = $80k

That leaves 11 more personnel and $773k to spend which is an average of $70,272 or $19,272 more than the average Canadian income.

Seems more than reasonable.

3. Level the playing to make Halifax viable?

• brian johnson // June 7, 2018 at 1:29 pm //

Right on. Then cut salary cap by 1 million to accommodate there 16,000 fans. Sad it is!!
      Randy what you thinking??

4. People leaving will help to offset having to fire anyone? Maybe Jones missed the part about the limit on the coaching staff which is set at 11. Riders to my understanding have 14 so three are going to get pink slips or at the very least not have contracts renewed.

• brian johnson // June 7, 2018 at 11:17 am //

Why a limit on coaches. Administration expenses.
      If you want bigger crowds better promotions and coaching staff will help. No regress!

5. Scottsask // June 6, 2018 at 4:49 pm //

I don’t get it, how does the league mandate how individual business are run. Name one other league that does this. I’ve been on board with Ambrosie up until this point. The salary cap for players better go up significantly.

• Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 5:14 pm //

The league is right to step in, had the riders not abused the fact that their fans will buy anything with a rider logo (Including wind shield washer fluid at $5.00 per gallon). This would not be necessary.
      The Stamps could easily throw money too. Instead they are responsible with spending and only spend what is standard for the league. Strong business sensed personnel and advisors understand these things that the average person doesn’t. That is why I tell you, running a Mom and Pop shop is antiquated and ill fated no matter how much money you make.

• riderontheisland // June 6, 2018 at 6:31 pm //

I hate that I’m responding to you, but this “Mom and Pop shop” seems to be a marketing genius compared to the Stumps unless the Stumps don’t want to make money. You are soooo full of it and everyone knows this, but yet you are like the annoying engergizer bunny and keep going and going. Ask anyone who has a marketing background which team has capitalized by far the most….oh wait I guess I will answer that for you, the Riders!

• Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 6:57 pm //

Who says the Stamps don’t make money? The Stamps as a private entity simply choose not to disclose this. You are making assumptions

• Stamps and Flames // June 6, 2018 at 9:26 pm //

The lowly riders should try winning football games. The usual crap from rider fans, last in Grey Cup wins and how about that 10 year span 1977-1987 without even making the playoffs. Tiring it gets listening to these losers

• Tired of you and your multiple personalities. Good Lord man…give it a rest already !!

• Green Apples // June 7, 2018 at 12:53 am //

The Stamps are owned by the Flames or they’d be broke, let’s be honest. The Calgary Flames subsidize the Stampeders.

• Lancaster/Reed // June 6, 2018 at 7:14 pm //

How is it abuse that rider fans buy merchandise? You secretly are a commie arent you RED. We should have known. The joke of this whole thing is that teams like the stamps, bc, argos etc are indeed private companies, and will not have to show the league what they actually spend on football operations. So really, this whole thing is about limiting the riders in how they use their profits to better the team any way they see fit.

• Stamps and Flames // June 6, 2018 at 9:31 pm //

Lancaster and Reed lol lol lol. Rider fans love using the term “chokers”. How about those lot worse beloved players loll they won a grand total of 1 cup lol. Can you say CHOKERS!,,,!

• Ridersrule // June 6, 2018 at 7:43 pm //

If mom and pop means a new stadium , best draw in the CFL road or home , most merchandise sold , most money in the bank um I think I’ll accept that

• True Green // June 7, 2018 at 1:04 am //

You admit the Stamps are private and therefore don’t have to show their profit, but you state they could easily throw money too. If they’re so private how do you know that?

Wait, I know! Because you say whatever pleases you in the moment. Like a child living in fantasy land.

Do you honestly think the average person doesn’t see through all of your BS?

6. If thats what it takes to make Halifax viable then Halifax just isn’t viable.

7. Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 4:52 pm //

Jones: “Absolutely. What, do you think I’m going to leave everybody else out to dry and I’m not going to take (a cut). You should know me better than that.”

Did anyone else almost choke on their water when the read this??????

The riders are in deep. Austerity coming. Not acknowledged was the fact Jones will have to cut at least have the staff. HE will be forced to move out of the Holiday Inn Express and live in the Y.

• Huff's Neighbor // June 6, 2018 at 5:04 pm //

You continue to be an ass and karma will serve you your just desserts at an appropriate time. Are the Riders any deeper than your basement? I don’t think so.

• MR. Green // June 6, 2018 at 5:27 pm //

Karma has already bit them with Finch. Nobody knows the numbers across the league, although reports are Toronto has spent the most aside from the cap, having MLSE as owners. I think that is good for Toronto.
        Riders went 90 years spending less than everyone. Yet Calgary paid a QB 1 million and they cry when someone out spends them by a lot less. Karma will hit them hard, again.

• Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 5:54 pm //

lolol
          Flutie was a long time ago my friend. Stop living a quarter century in the past.
          Finch was Karma? how so? If you saw last Friday’s preseason at historic McMahon, you would have seen 3 running backs returning balls very effectively.
          Enjoy tonight and tomorrow. On Friday reality will be very sobering should Calgary decide to go for the win.

• RiderPrider // June 6, 2018 at 6:37 pm //

Why do the moderators on this site continue to allow this clown to post here?? Ban this moron for good.

• MR. Green // June 6, 2018 at 6:44 pm //

That turned out well. BC dominated the game.

• Puck Hog // June 6, 2018 at 8:51 pm //

Red, you don’t like visiting the past? Only when it serves your demented purpose do you bring up other team’s pasts. Now, shut up!

• Ridersrule // June 6, 2018 at 9:45 pm //

Did you just say stop living in the past? You the one that brings up over and over that the riders only have 4 cups . You never ever think before you comment . You are so easy because you just aren’t that bright .

• True Green // June 7, 2018 at 1:08 am //

Again. You say what pleases you. You ask Mr Green not to live a quarter century ago but you and your multiple handles regularly quote stats in favour of Stamps pre he event salary cap era. Since the salary cap, Riders and Stamps have been much more competitive with one another.

So which one is it? Are we good to quote on the last 10 years or the last 100? Or are you going to play the game as usual, which is whatever works for you in the moment?

• Stamps and Flames // June 6, 2018 at 5:06 pm //

Yes I sure did choke. Jones will be busy trying to find away to make a mockery of the rules as usual

• Ridersrule // June 6, 2018 at 11:19 pm //

We have to open with out books Calgary has been cooking the books for years and no one knows . Who know how much huff really makes . Easy to get talent when you over pay with dirty dealings and it’s all hidden . Must drive the owners crazy paying all this under the table untaxed money to players and still lose the cup in 2016/17 to teams that are legit

8. MR. Green // June 6, 2018 at 5:15 pm //

Jones has high respect and loyalty to his staff. Ambrosie just fired people all across the league. Stamp fans seem happy people will be losing a job they love by doing nothing wrong. Ignorant and disrespectful people. They all have families too. I suppose when a team is dominated by Sask in the playoffs, fear is thier friend.

• Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 5:27 pm //

lol, don’t pretend like your main concern here is people losing their jobs. Your main concern is the riders will no longer be able to out spend for a competitive advantage (not that it was really giving you one).
      This business is a sports league, competition is it’s objective. Do you really think the riders would get away with the spending they were? Did you fans question it? Of course not. Instead you rubbed it in the faces of every other team (Calgary more than others). You are getting what you deserve…..austerity.

• Spoken like the socialist you are.

• Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 5:57 pm //

Call it whatever you want Grain. But this isn’t a regular business.
          The fact is , the only edge the riders had is gone. If you weren’t that good with it imagine what you’ll be without it.

• MR. Green // June 6, 2018 at 5:59 pm //

Hey boy, that’s not how I think. People losing work who do well is wrong. I support jobs and people. I assume you’re jelouse and hate my province and everyone in it because we have great people, better than yours. I’ve seen many people lose jobs because of poor Management. The Riders are the opposite, flourishing, creating jobs and the best atmosphere in the CFL. Success deserves rewards, not coming down to low levels, like Clagary and Montreal. Your club getting rewarded for mediocrity. Can’t sell out playoff games and only when Sask and Edmonton are in town are crowds big. Last time Sask was there in The playoffs, look at all the empty seats and half were Rider fans. Imagine if BC was there, likely 20,000 fans tops. Calgary fans are right there with loyalty like Montreal, Toronto and BC. A couple losing seasons there would spell disaster in this day and age.

• Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 6:20 pm //

Everyone should have a job because they deserve it – and you all are calling me a socialist?
          I gotta tell you Mr Green you are smarter than me.. you must explain how Calgary is mediocre yet the riders are great, that one is going right over my head. I see 1st place Vs. 4th place and can’t make the math work.

The last time BC played a playoff game at historic McMahon was the annual Stampeder invitational -2016 (AKA the Western Final)Calgary won of course. Crowd was over 32,000; which incidentally was bigger than either of the rider games in 2017!!!— but lets not let facts get in the way of a good rider tale.

9. Ambrosie does nothing without tacit approval by team owners. Those owners want to make sure they have a chance to turn a profit. It may not sound right, but there are big-market teams, and small-market teams in the CFL. What’s wrong with a level playing field on the management side too? On the field side of the game, it’s produced competitiveness, and rewarded “smart” management.

10. Rider fan // June 6, 2018 at 5:36 pm //

Why was the rules changed going into the season. Give teams time to adjust. These kind of things need to happen in December.

11. All this means is more money in the Rider’s bank. Spend less on staff = savings, so Calgary will still be jealous

• Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 6:00 pm //

You’ll need the extra money. The plaza of honor can only hold so many names and will soon need expanded. You still have Corey Sheets and some guy guy who caught 2 touchdown passes in one game back in 1983.

• Kory Sheets broke a 50 year old record for yards gained rushing during a Grey Cup and was a key piece of the team that brought what may be the greatest memory in Taylor Field history. You’re saying that he would not be deserving?

12. Funny how the Stamp fans have suddenly turned into heavy socialists. Their NDP government is rubbing off.

13. LOL to the dolt above who keeps referencing “austerity” as his main point. The dummy does realize this affects teams across the board right? Monkeys on here I swear.

• Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 6:03 pm //

Calgary’s spending is well under control, Huff took a pay cut when Dave D took over. Calgary only has 10 coaches now.
      The impact for us will be far less than the riders.
      I guess our cheap ass ways aren’t looking so bad now , hey?

• MR. Green // June 6, 2018 at 6:12 pm //

Huff deserves a pay cut. Look at his QB depth. He’s found one QB in his time there. As for little Dickey, he’s no coach. He talks like a scared little stuttering mouse. The players laugh at him. He almost sh!t his pants when Chris Jones scolded him, since then he aways looks nervous and scared on interviews, bumbling words and sentences. Which carries through his team. Dickey chokes on words, the players choke in games, lolololololololol.

• Calgary only has room for 10. Any more than that they would need to renovate a washroom for office space.

• Maybe they can share their workout trailer? Move the 1 squat rack they have a put a couple of desks in there. Lol

• Billinburlington // June 6, 2018 at 7:18 pm //

LOL… Or maybe they could rent a secret house to use as a clandestine offsite office…. sort of what Chris Jones did two seasons back.

IMO clearly the league is worried about the negotiations with the CFLPA and is taking this measure pre-emptively. This move levels the playing field between what teams pay their coaches and players. I am surprised this move hasn’t happened sooner.

Does anyone know if other leagues have a similar cap?

• Stamps and Flames // June 6, 2018 at 9:45 pm //

• Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 6:27 pm //

Huff found a pretty good QB when he needed to find a good QB.
          Huff has coached in 3 Grey Cups, with 3 different QBs
          Little scared Dave is 28-6-2 as a HC. Best in history for a 2 year coach.
          I would submit it was Chris Jones who was scared. DD was responding to him, looking right at him as Jones wobbled away. There are pics all over the net. He avoids those hand shakes when he can doesn’t he?

• Lancaster/Reed // June 6, 2018 at 7:16 pm //

And only found one of those qbs. How is stanzi looking as a #2. Lmfao.

• God I hope Drew Edwards cuts your stupid ass off the site again. We need some more peace and quiet on here.

• Rob – clown is so busy yapping about the Riders (as usual) he hasn’t got time to comment on his own friggen team. Pathetic how many times he’s punted then back on by coffee time.

• It’s unreal man. He can’t help himself… It’s really sad. All we can hope for is yet another ban, and then when he changes his IP and email again. Gets banned again. It’s just taking way to damn long for it to happen.

• You would think after being banned a couple dozen times….one might clue in and tone it down ??

• Unfortunately we aren’t going to be that lucky. He’s that one mosquito you just can’t squash. Just keeps coming back time and time again to suck your blood.

• True Green // June 7, 2018 at 1:13 am //

He almost kept it down for a full week. You could read the steam coming out of his posts trying to pretend like he was someone else. Pretty funny actually.

• Huff took a pay cut when Dickie took over…..and a brand new house from the Forzannis. Just like they gave BLM.

14. if you dont like it dont support the league.

15. Just saying // June 6, 2018 at 6:23 pm //

Red white and panties too tight!

16. Hope he can live on 300g a year.

17. MR. Green // June 6, 2018 at 6:40 pm //

These Stamp fans who whine we have to many, if you look at football operations overall, both teams have 37. They speak before they know what’s truly going on without all the facts.

• Not surprised are you ? The real Stamp fans aren’t the ones carrying on. Just the usual noise from the resident rodent

• MR. Green // June 6, 2018 at 6:48 pm //

Not at all from that joker. He’s not welcomed by Drew here, or anyone. It was nice for a few days. Sensible talk, good and respectful replies for the most part, even from people who disagreed with each other.

• Derails every conversation and turns it into his personal hate thread for anything Saskatchewan.

Has anyone heard of the extent of Chad Owens injury ?

• MR. Green // June 6, 2018 at 7:11 pm //

They haven’t said much on any injuries. Haven’t heard the severity or timeline. I suppose we will have to wait till the final cuts and see who lands where, including the injury list.

• Owens was on a bike today after practice and chatting with folks, said the injury is fairly minor , nothing major to worry about. It’s possibly a bit of gamesmanship by jones and co, Co2 if pressed probably could be toughing it out but the riders need to figure out what they are going to do with Moore, Williams-lambert and Evans all 3 who they like, so they cut Antwon Grant/Co2 might be IR bound for a bit then be back once they have decided witch 2 of the 3 newbies they will keep. expect the musical chairs to go into maybe Reg season game 3 or 4, then a fresh Co2 returns to the lineup and possibly Christian Jones gets a couple game break on the IR to heal nics as Co2 returns punts for a bit as we keep evaluating our rookie WR’s. around game 8 a rookie finally gets cut //// re CFL rules for guaranteed salary after labor day when Christian magically returns and hopefully the riders role into the playoffs fresh and healthy , ok long way to say CO2 looked pretty healthy today on his bike , lol riding around Griffiths after practice, lol .

• Awesome 34…thanks for the update, very much appreciated

• True Green // June 7, 2018 at 1:25 am //

Rider34, I always appreciate your informed updates!

• It was so peaceful for awhile.

• Stampeders // June 6, 2018 at 8:09 pm //

Awesome watching you get owned yup

• Awesome watching you use your entire vocabulary in 6 words cramps

• YUP must not understand that he’s being owned continuously, its the only reason he refuses to quit whining. No wonder she can’t find a husband and a better hobby.

• Yawn. Day off from the dish pit ?

• Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 6:54 pm //

Calgary has 18, not including medical and training.
      Only 10 coaches.

• White Horse // June 6, 2018 at 11:02 pm //

Green…you don’t know the facts either, because you are wrong.

18. This is gonna hurt the quality of play in the Cfl. The best coaches will now stay in college/ be assistants in the NFL. Plus with those new spring leagues there will be even more opportunity down south. Big mistake by the CFL

19. MR. Green // June 6, 2018 at 7:02 pm //

Coach Jones’ interview today on Riderville.com was very good and insightful. I suggest you all watch it.

20. Stamps and Flames // June 6, 2018 at 9:47 pm //

I’ll gladly live in Calgary with a good football team and great city and have an old stadium any day. Regina is nothing but a dump,an embarrassing city in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No thanks

• You’re an embarrassment to the city of Calgary.

• Rrider20 // June 6, 2018 at 10:55 pm //

you must either be blind of half retarded cuz Regina is a whole hell of a lot nicer than Calgary is.. Calgary is a fricken cesspool, yah clown

21. As some of these Calgary fans who are belittling other centers are such aristocrats perhaps they can imitate Kade Spade ( Some one they would admire as so “with it” and also find a doorknob that they realy like, become overly attached to it and hangout of a bit doing us all a favor !!!!
    Please Red please !!!! be like KATE !!!

• grr dang auto correct decided to change for to of for some reason grrr , re statement above —– should of been hang out for a bit……..

22. I see Jerry the ice cream salesman is back under a few new monikers. What a duster.

23. Green&Gold // June 6, 2018 at 10:36 pm //

I’ve lived in Edmonton, Calgary, Medicine Hat, Regina, Surrey, Edmonton again, Regina again, and Winnipeg. All work transfers. Now finishing my career in Edmonton and will retire here. 2nd choice would be Regina. The people in those 2 cities are too notch. Down to earth and would help anyone anytime. Nice people in all of my experiences but Calgary definitely had the elitist attitude. Not nearly as inviting as the other places I have lived. But that was just my experience.

24. Red White Dynamite // June 6, 2018 at 10:48 pm //

and yet Calgary still has high levels of migration, even in the bad economy of today, and still always listed in top places in the world to live,,,,,,,,,,,,go figure
    People who live here realize there is a lot more to the world than watching sports!

• Green&Gold // June 6, 2018 at 10:50 pm //

Actually it doesn’t. Check your stats and get back to us. Again you are wrong.

• Top cities in the world? What homer publication are you repping Red? Calgary is nowhere near a 21st century world class city….and don’t go down the ‘88 Olympics road like you always do. Face facts, Calgary is a redneck town that isn’t even considered a major Canadian City.

• Ridersrule // June 7, 2018 at 12:54 am //

Yes i have to agree with you there are very high levels of people migrating out of Calgary

25. True Green // June 7, 2018 at 1:21 am //

Great article! Chris Jones at his finest! Accepting a league mandated rule and accepting that he will have to accept a cut in his pay like everyone else.

I can’t wait to read all of the posts from his detractors and haters admitting they had Chris all wrong all along.

Waiting… come on Little red dynamo

• Oh he’s here. 3D came to their senses and finally kicked him off but he’s back under Dynamite & Prairie trolling away on all the Rider articles. It was so peaceful and quiet for those few days. Actual football talk.

• Take this // June 7, 2018 at 10:48 am //

Sorry, I am not Red but I have to reply to that. On the contrary, this only supports a point that I have been making all along. With Jones’ huge staff of fifteen coaches, two assistant GMs, along with his never ending mini camps, he has been spending money like a drunken sailor. As of 2019, Jones now will have to sober up, face reality, cut some of the fat and tighten the belt, including his own. It has not changed my opinion of him at all. Why would it? It just brought his inflated staff into the harsh light of reality.

26. wewert3 // June 7, 2018 at 7:32 am //

3down saying 13 coaches will be unemployed is somewhat misleading because we don’t know if the excess coaches will be hired by a team who is under the limit of 11. Other teams hiring coaches let go would reduced the number of unemployed to 9 or an average of 1 per team. If those teams don’t hire additional coaches, can we really say that’s this a big loss to the league?

Is limiting the number of coaches at 11 is somehow hurting the quality of play for those teams already under? Over half of the teams already are at or below the limit.

tor 15
    ssk 15
    mtl 14
    edm 13

ham 11
    ott 10
    cgy 10
    bc 10
    wpg 10

League must feel like the revenues generated is not enough to allow head coaches to keep hiring their buddies for some non-essential position.

There is almost no way this mandate gets passed if all the teams were not 100% in favor. To teams, cost certainty is never a bad thing. Like it or not, the reality is the CFL is not a financial windfall for those involved in the league.

Could be worse in that the league is not as stable as you think as there are clearly 3 weak franchises and only 1 possible expansion city in the future. Seriously; people with money aren’t clamoring to buy a CFL franchise.

27. solara2000 // June 7, 2018 at 10:50 am //

If this actually sees the light of day, it’s because the ownership (individual owners, corporate ownership and community ownership) want it.

If you can’t run your business profitably, create artificial constraints to ‘equalize’ that incompetence.

• The CFL actually has a vision for the league instead of 9 individual fiefdoms. The same with the decision to spread the Grey Cup wealth across the league instead of all with the host city. A sports league is only as strong as it’s weakest franchise and Ambroise realizes that.

We have seen what happens when the clubs are trying to eat each other alive and it wasn’t pretty. It’s nice to see them working together for the success of the league.

28. OldBaldGuy // June 7, 2018 at 11:10 am //

Not sure why this turned into a Rider bashing exercise, since 4 teams in the league have more than what the new standard will be. The Red people just like to rattle the cage of the green people and the green people snarl on cue. I live in Calgary and have for 20+ years. I also have season tickets in “that dump” Regina, to which we drive for pretty much every game. My experience in Calgary is like most CFL cities. Some hard core fans, who are great long timers. More bandwagon jumpers, who disgust me. Right now Stamp fans are a little bored and the crowds aren’t that great. The difference in Calgary is that they happen to be horrible when it comes to the preening. Puff out the chests at “historic McMahon”. I’ve seen other teams fans royally abused by the Calgary people in the stands. The touchdown horse has better barn digs than the players at “Historic McMahon”. It’ll take halftime plus to go to the can there. The upper seats have no backs on them. The in-house announcer screeching is intolerable…particularly when they have to tell people when to make noise…like they don’t know any better. Fort Mac has a better stadium…look it up. Calgary is also way too friggin cheap to build a stadium. I doubt I’ll see one in my lifetime, the way they fight over public facility funding there. Progressive-backward city.

As for the admin cap…the big thing will be limiting off-season tryout camps for teams…all teams. Salary aside (Trestman, June Jones, etc make a some good bucks too)…this is the one that coaches will rail against. And…as one poster said earlier, some good coaches will opt out of the CFL in favour of US College jobs. Really too bad. Sport Corps like Toronto and Calgary subsidize and want some sort of harness on things. The Wettenhals are just…the Wettenhalls and this announcement simply appeases their team management incompetence. Do not like the coach-admin cap in principle.

• It’s turned into a Rider bashing exercise because a lot of people remember the never ending belly aching of Rider fans over how their tiny market couldn’t compete with “big markets” like Edmonton and that’s why they didn’t have more on field success. Now that the shoe is on the other foot and the Riders are spending like drunken sailors on football operations, Rider fans are suddenly free marketers. Hilarious!!!

29. I know reading isn’t promoted in the rectangle but I’ll try anyway: The leagues Board of Governors voted this in!!! Every team had a voice and a vote you dummies!