Kate Beirness to host Thursday panel as CFL on TSN makes changes

Expect some changes to the CFL on TSN broadcasts this year.

The biggest move, according to multiple sources, will see SportsCentre anchor Kate Beirness take over from Rod Smith as the host of Thursday Night Football.

“Last year the CFL and teams got away from the young and fun Thursday Night Football initiative that had been implemented in 2016,” a source said. “But now everyone is back on board and committing to making TNF destination viewing with the focus on a younger demographic.”

Beirness, 34, has worked primarily as an anchor on SportsCentre and has also hosted the network’s NCAA tournament coverage.

Smith will continue to host the Friday night panel in addition to doing more play-by-play in support of Chris Cuthbert and Rod Black. Duane Forde and Glen Suitor will return as the primary colour commentators.

Former CFL player Davis Sanchez, who earned strong reviews for his performance on TSN’s CFL Draft coverage, is also expected to have an increased presence on the panel, which is expected to include Matt Dunigan, Jock Climie, Milt Stegall and Henry Burris in various combinations. The 43-year-old Davis brings an injection of youth to the panel while also addressing one of the biggest criticisms: the lack of a defensive perspective.

Anticipate seeing Chris Schultz back as a CFL fantasy football specialist on SportsCentre, though how much he’ll be a part of CFL on TSN telecasts – if at all – remains unclear.

The CFL’s deal with TSN, which gives the broadcaster exclusive rights to every game, runs through 2021 and is worth a reported $40 million a year to the league.

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1389 Articles)

123 Comments on Kate Beirness to host Thursday panel as CFL on TSN makes changes

1. Kate Beirness is awesome. This should be a great addition to the lineup.

• +1 for Kate

• Dan Buss // May 24, 2018 at 12:22 am //

Bubbly Kate is one of the best in the biz so Great! to see her finally recognized

• Traitor Trump // May 23, 2018 at 9:06 pm //

Don’t know her, but if “Smith will continue to host the Friday night panel in addition to doing more play-by-play in support of Chris Cuthbert and Rod Black” means no more Matt Dunigan being a color guy, than it is a great victory for CFL fans everywhere. I don’t mind folksy Dunigan in the studio. But he is an absolute embarrassment as a color guy.

• Mr Red. // May 24, 2018 at 9:08 am //

oh great the most irritating female sans Kobler

yeah very nice

• Garth Crawford // May 24, 2018 at 5:13 pm //

They have lost me dont appreciate her its football loved Rod luv Chris

2. Michael Kulyk // May 23, 2018 at 1:07 pm //

somebody needs to remind the CFL that ‘c’ stands for ‘canadian’ not corporate – why does ctv show nfl regular season and playoff games for free but i need a sub to watch any cfl games ? – hace cbc show cfl games too – let canada be canada !

• CBC does not bid on the CFL games. They decided a few years back to get out of airing professional sports. (Even hockey night in Canada is transition to Sportsnet full time) If they don’t want to broadcast games, you can’t make them.

That being said. I do think it would be nice if a game a week were on the full CTV network and the Grey Cup should definitely be as well.

• If CTV did not show the NFL games, then Canadians would simply watch the US coverage on NBC/CBS/FOX. The US networks are on regular cable/satellite or over the air.
      CTV simulcasts to get Canadian ads on their network, otherwise you would be watching the US broadcasts with US ads.
      TSN has all CFL rights until 2022 so you won’t see any games on any other network.

• Tell CBC to bid on the broadcast rights.

• Love Matty doing color. Makes it’s unpredictable and entertaining. Forde is dry, and suits is such a Homer for BC And Saskatchewan.
      How do you not know who Kate is?

3. Joey Dearborn // May 23, 2018 at 1:09 pm //

What was the reason for eliminating Chris Schultz in the first place? Heard a lot of rumors about health, but nothing ever solid.

• I’d like to know too. He was not the most colorful or polished, but he put in more homework than the others combined, and was never making it up as he went stegall. I’d really like to have him back.

• For the past couple of seasons Chris Schultz has left the CFL coverage in August and covers the NFL for TSN
      He is an ex-NFL player and is pretty knowledegable about the NFL.
      I expect the same thing this year, he will be on the TSN panel until August and then do his reports from NFL cities

• MR. Green // May 23, 2018 at 2:11 pm //

Shiltz had a guest spot for about 10 minutes on 620ckrm the sports cage on Monday. He’s around still.

• oveanvista – you pronounce “about” like “ouch”? There is something abouch this that sounds crazy.

• Flanker41 // May 23, 2018 at 2:14 pm //

This may or may not be true.

I think Chris has had some health issues during the past few years. I think ‘the press’ [hello, Drew] know the score but have probably decided to honour Shultzies wishes to keep it on the down-low.

Mostly conjecture.

• MR. Green // May 23, 2018 at 2:18 pm //

Burris has too big and ego. Can’t stand him. His opinions are not well thought out. They come from his biased emotions and he rants from there. He belongs only on local Ottawa radio.

• Most of them have big egos but that’s why we like them. He’s got the voice too.
        I hate to say it but the most boring voices on the CFL broadcast are the Canadians, Duane Ford, Glen Suitor, Rod Black.
        Can’t beat the voices of Dunigan, Milt Stegall, Burris.

4. Wish TSN would sell a CFL package like other sports leagues do.

• Indeed, lots of us cut the cord, and I’d happily pay for an online option from TSN.

• I’m sure that by 2022 things will have changed.
        Since the last contract renewal, millions have cut the cord. Young people watch sports on their tablets and IPhones, TSN/CTV has to change with the times.
        I expect that streaming without a TSN subscription will be available by then.

5. Its not often you read sentences like, “The 43-year-old Davis brings an injection of youth to the panel”. A 43 yr old brings youth? Really? That, in a nutshell is the problem with the CFL fan base – in the East anyway.

• That’s true, I took my daughter and her husband to an Argo/Ticat game at BMO last summer. They are both Jays and TFC fans.
      They were amazed at how old the crowd was at BMO
      The young people are at the TFC games and the families are at the Jays games.
      Nothing is going to change that, the Argos are just not “cool” and they are not “major” league according to Toronto fans.

But go to Ottawa it’s a different story, it’s great to see a lot of young people there as well as the old baby boomer crowd

• Its possible to change the Argos demographic – have to try. Rider games 25-20 yrs ago were the same way – old people. They made a concerted effort to attract a young demo by making it fun and it worked. Its very doable even in Toronto. Make it affordable, make it fun and fill the stands; then jack the prices – not vice versa.

• Well the MLS and the Toronto TFC are the only minor league in the city of Toronto.

• kenners // May 23, 2018 at 3:04 pm //

My section is relatively young– behind the Argos bench. There is quite a few older peeps but plenty of millennials like myself- and younger. I love bringin’ my toddler and 10 year old brother as well. It’s difficult but not impossible to get over this ‘older generation game’ mentality.

Frankly I couldn’t care less that it isn’t ‘cool’– It’s an awesome thing to do in summer tbh.

• I agree I couldn’t care less if it’s cool but it is about the millenials and not many go to Argo games.
          The stats are there and MLSE has admitted that they don’t get a lot of millenials, you do see more older people at the Argo games than you see at the Jays, Raptors, or TFC.
          Try spotting an older person at a TFC game
          One reason why the Argos don’t get a lot advertising dollars, the young people aren’t watching

6. jgjagcat // May 23, 2018 at 1:16 pm //

Let Rod Smith replace Rod Black. Let Black commentate sports for TVO. Hurray for Kate though.

• SaskTim // May 28, 2018 at 3:18 pm //

I second that. Liked RS as panel host, but think Kate will be great injection. RB, sorry buddy, but CFL games aren’t your forte in my view.

7. JoeSchmuck27 // May 23, 2018 at 1:29 pm //

Yup, I agree with jgjagcat – let Smith replace Black, and get rid of Duane Ford too. I can’t stand either of them! Or switch and let the east be commentated by CC and Glen Suitor, and give the west Duane Ford and Rod Black!

8. Great job hiring Kate! Well deserved! Let’s hope they allow her to let that awesome personality shine through vs the old guard! As for Shultz, I really miss him. I can’t believe the audience likes Burris!

9. I turn off the volume or go to the bathroom whenever Burris is on.

10. K_O_cowtown // May 23, 2018 at 1:41 pm //

Why fir god’ sake can’t they get rid of Rod Black.

11. Rod Black should stick to figure skating. Gord Miller was way better in limited action last year for CFL on TSN.

12. Where's Shultz? // May 23, 2018 at 1:45 pm //

Bring back Shultz!

13. We all want Rod gone, but I think we would all miss him. lol

14. White Horse // May 23, 2018 at 1:46 pm //

Problem with Kate is she is a motor mouth and interrupts people. I will give her a chance to prove me wrong!
    Sara Orlesky I do enjoy and would prefer her any day over Kate.

15. White Horse // May 23, 2018 at 1:50 pm //

No, No..not Burris! Volume will be muted when he is yapping! I do really appreciate a knowledgeable football expert such as Duane Ford. Suitor is slanted to the riders and his home province, BC. Rod Black is tolerable.

• fannotacoach // May 23, 2018 at 2:09 pm //

And yet you hear rider fans say Suitor is too hard on the Riders because of a past possible slight.

16. joeschumk27 There is no way you are going to dump Rod ( everyone needs a nickname) Black on the west. and White Horse i hope you meant intolerable.

17. Rod Black and the side-line ads are why I can’t watch the CFL anymore.

18. Grey Cupper // May 23, 2018 at 2:24 pm //

Happy to read Davis Sanchez will take a more active role. Burris brings no value to the broadcast, as IMO, he spends much too much time talking about what he’s done in the past.

19. oceanvista // May 23, 2018 at 2:25 pm //

Uggh. She seems like a sweet person, nice infectious energy. But I just can’t stand her heavy Canadian accent. We don’t pronounce it “ABEWT” out here on the West Coast; we pronounce it normally, as in ABOUT (sounds like “ouch”). I believe it’s a regional Ontario thing that drives me freaking nuts.

• OttawaHamiCatsFan // May 23, 2018 at 5:51 pm //

Definitely not a regional Ontario thing as I am from near Ottawa and grew up near Hamilton and I do not know anyone what pronounces it the way she does. This is just a Kate thing.

20. Abouch. Lol

21. I miss Schultz. A lineman, whether offensive or defensive provides a different perspective than receivers and quarterbacks.

22. Mr Red. // May 23, 2018 at 2:54 pm //

God good! Enough of Henry Burris. He’s grown into an insufferable preacher.

23. davy jacobson // May 23, 2018 at 3:12 pm //

I cant understand why ctv brings back duwayne forde year after year. The guy has no on air talent. Hes terrible

24. Rod Smith was great last year. Really enjoyed him. I think she’ll be fantastic as well. The rest… all good and having colourful people like Burris on there make it entertaining. This is a good move as they work to capture a younger audience. A lot of posts are bang-on… gotta get that younger audience keyed in. Sask and Ottawa have done awesome jobs of that.

25. FYI For the cord cutters out there, pretty sure you can buy single game, single team or all CFL games packages through the CFL app.

26. Lennywasout // May 23, 2018 at 3:20 pm //

I’m glad I have seasons tickets so I don’t have to listen to Rod Black and Henry Buris.
    I’m go to try like hell to listen to the radio while watching the away games on TSN.

I can’t believe that they have the intelligence to bring back n Kate and then spoil it with these two goofs.

27. Jim cauchon // May 23, 2018 at 3:21 pm //

Great Kate….and heres a great way to start this season off. interview commissioner and cflpa union head at same table and ask why no steroid testing…thats right…it’d destroy the league, like it would mlb nfl and maybe nba.

• Jim cauchon // May 23, 2018 at 3:29 pm //

yes, some piecemeal testing in place..a couple fish have been netted but CLEARLY full commitment week in week out in nine cities to test has not been adopted.

28. C Stephen Cassin // May 23, 2018 at 3:22 pm //

Thursday night games make season tickets worthless.

29. BC Bomber // May 23, 2018 at 3:32 pm //

My biggest hope is they don’t make the half-time crew do the goofy stuff again. Embarrassing, demeaning, and totally unprofessional! Consider bringing Doug Brown in for some colour and analysis; the guy is bright and articulate.

• Sweet Lord! Doug Brown is the biggest Bomber homer there is. Doug Brown may be bright and articulate…… for a Winnipegger.

30. Chopper11 // May 23, 2018 at 3:36 pm //

TSN please get rid of Burris. He is a grudge-bearing, opinionated guy. I have little respect for the guy off the field.

• OttawaHamiCatsFan // May 23, 2018 at 5:59 pm //

I had the same opinion until I actually met the man at a minor hockey rink in Ottawa. He like the rest of us has his opinions and while I do not agree with some of them he is a very down to earth person and quite approachable. Now that Austin is out of Hamilton I am hoping that Hank will burry the hatchet and let things go. Give him a chance.

31. Tinhead296 // May 23, 2018 at 3:38 pm //

Hurray for Kate. She is much better looking and will brighten up the place.

32. Ti-Cats fan since the '60s // May 23, 2018 at 3:46 pm //

Have never been a Kate Beirness fan. There’s something about her on-air persona that just rubs me the wrong way. I usually head to the kitchen when she was doing the half-time updates.

Disappointed to hear about Schultz. I always found his comments balanced and knowledgeable. As for Burris?….enough said.

33. Good news. It’s time to replace Duane Forde too. He’s terrible as a color analyst. Replace him with Sanchez or Dunigan. Stegall is bad too. His whiney nasal voice is terrible on TSN

• Meathead // May 23, 2018 at 5:18 pm //

Dunigan and Gord Miller are the best PBP combo with Cuthbert and Suitor as 2nd.
      Problem is that Miller is used as an emergency filler rather than a regular analyst unfortunately.

34. Rod Black’s continued presence may just mean I will not watch any CFL on TSN this season. It is clearly not enough to just turn off our TV’s when TSN chooses to inflict him upon us, so what other tools do we have?

He is the most dreadful, annoying, and incompetent play by play broadcaster in sports. F*** you TSN!

• BC Bomber // May 23, 2018 at 5:13 pm //

Turn on your computer and stream a radio station covering either of the two teams.

• White Horse // May 23, 2018 at 5:24 pm //

Only trouble with radio and tv broadcasts, there is a time delay of 3_4 seconds between the two. That sucks.

• If you stream the radio play by play on your computer you can slow it to match the tv. Takes a lot of dicking around but its doable.

Incidentally the big reason for the video delay is the processing required to do the on field first down marker line thing.

35. Mr Red. // May 23, 2018 at 4:58 pm //

Glad to see Sanchez get a crack. Forde is fine.
    Black is the worst

36. Rod Black is probably a nice guy, but when he’s doing play-by-play, I turn the sound down.

37. patlynch // May 23, 2018 at 5:16 pm //

Duane Ford knows more about Canadian players and teams than anyone on the show . He does the Draft and has run the regional combine in the past . He is articulate and bilingual . Listening to Dunnigan can cause nausea, heartburn, indigestion, and the condition known as Hotdog Fingers .

38. White Horse // May 23, 2018 at 5:28 pm //

Patlynch..100% agree. Dunnigan really lays on the American drawl when live colourman but is much more composed at the half time shows on the panel.

39. Pepe StaMincchia // May 23, 2018 at 6:45 pm //

You want to increase viewership of the younger demographic just give the hosting gig to TSN’s Natasha S – and watch the numbers skyrocket. Ie….ESPN’s Samantha Ponder and Charissa Thompson. Poor Kate – not exactly a looker, and that’s being kind.

40. Hey Quint, Rob Black is not the worst PBP guy in sports. That award is a tie between Paul Romanuk, Dave Randorf and Tim Micalef. They are horrible and unlistenable. Not a big fan of Kate Beirness but I say let’s give her a chance.

41. For those of you that don’t like the delay on radio while watching the game on TV. I have Fibe and I just pause the TV feed until it syncs up with the radio feed. That’s what I do with Leaf games on Sportsnet. I listen to Joe Bowen on the radio as the aforementioned Paul Romanuk does PBP on TV and he is brutal. An opinion shared by many of my friends.

42. wewert3 // May 23, 2018 at 7:19 pm //

Surprised that people keep asking about Chris Schultz. Isn’t it obvious that the higher ups believe he’s been there too long and getting old? He’s not sick or anything as he telephoned in teams’ preseason conference calls and was basically making a statement to everybody that he is still here and trying to be relevant.

Schultz usually didn’t add much on TSN anyway as he is at the end of the table. By the time they get to him, all the “good” opinions have already been taken.

• Eric A. Wilson // May 23, 2018 at 8:54 pm //

Schultzie is intelligent thoughtful and spoke frankly as a passionate engaged fan of the sport. Not the entertainment. Not the circus. The tangible and intangible complexities of th3 game. And he’s as tall as your house. IMO
      I truly hope he’s ok. He’s not sick. He got sick of the density. I actually think he’s not there because the collective IQ of the other 3 doorknobs wouldn’t be enough to buy a hotdog. So, unappreciated and without an equal, without a panel mate in sight capable of engaging in true analysis of the play and kayers week in week out. He opted out. And quit. Graceful exit while the panel flatlines

43. OttawaHamiCatsFan // May 23, 2018 at 8:28 pm //

I am not understanding the hate on for Duane Forde. He has a wealth of knowledge about the game and the Canadian players. I am not a fan of Rod Black like most folks.

If TSN wants viewer numbers to increase then they need to join the 21st Century and provide a streaming package. Bell can deny the amount of us that are cord cutters all they want but their stubborn refusal to get with the digital age is hurting the league in the long run. Millenials watch most things on their devices not with an archaic cable/satellite subscription.

44. OttawaHamiCatsFan // May 23, 2018 at 8:34 pm //

I forgot to add that the one that I am surprised is still around and does not get more folks not liking him is Jock Climie. I have not ever been a fan of him and would like to see him replaced on the panel. I do like Dunnigan, Stegall, and Schultz and am hopeful for Sanchez.

• Climie SUCKS! He still has this vendetta against the Tiger Cats because we kicked his ass so many times in the 80’s while he was with Ottawa and Montreal…especially in the playoffs.

45. Eric A. Wilson // May 23, 2018 at 8:43 pm //

Sorry TSN but you were stupid enough to let Dave Randolph go. And then Schultzie. You are so stupid it hurts. Can’t get all the whining Henry Burris has done his ENTIRE career out of my head. But by reading his lips he seems to be a better analyst than a QB captain. Thank the lord Rod Smith is being eased out. He needs to be sent to the kitchen to make stew. Kate is a cutie pie but seriously? Sara Orlesky runs circles around her. She is a dream. She crushes EVERY ASSIGNMENT. And Davis Sanchez? Davis Sanchez? TSN senior management has clearly been grossly incapable of managing their own cap space. They must’ve signed all their talent to long term contracts so can only afford the idealess Davis Sanchez. I love the CFL. I loved TSN. TSN used to kill it with Schultzie & Randolph. They made th3 dumb jocks tolerable. There is NO chemistry anymore. Jock the Disinterested Lawyer, the Stumbling Bumbling Texan and Steegull The Barely Engaged are probably not even as bad as they always are. There’s no way TSN would run such a hapless crew. I must be the only one watching NBA playoffs with Shaq Barkley Kenny and Ernie and thinking TSN CFL panel just does not hit any marks. And then they let Schultzie slip away. I PVR and skip all their useless Un-researched shallow non-insights. I get way more out of CFL’s and CFL team websites. So I changed my mind. Give Hank a raise. And hire some new and more coherent QB.s. Bring in a guest for each week and you’ll find some REAL new talent for 2019. Kinda like how the Stamps go to Florida and Texas for open tryouts to keep improving. And cut the deadwood. And hire some young punk QB or a CIS coach

46. Ticat Mike // May 23, 2018 at 9:02 pm //

for what its worth, getting very tired of Climie, Stegall and Dunigan (the lesser of the 3 evils). Rod Smith was fine, but I think Kate will do very well…Burris is simply unbearable to endure —- he needs to go, or I will avoid any telecast he is a part of.
    I do miss Randolph and Shultzie for sure. They have to change it up and if Kate and Sara Orlesky can both have greater roles, the presentation would improve immensely. Not a big fan of Ford and Black ………Suitor is very good.

47. Get Black out, he is terrible at football. Kate is OK when she doesn’t blink 8 million times an hour. Maybe TSN can actually put some money into the production, quality of broadcasts, number of cameras, angles, graphics etc blow.

48. Barry McCawkiner // May 23, 2018 at 10:02 pm //

Only reason I watch sportscentre is to look at kae and natasha and those black cat suits! Koodoos to the CFL.. how about the CFL panels is Kate, natasha and a couple of those hotties from the weather channel??? Cmon, u know it’s a good idea!

49. CFL junkie // May 23, 2018 at 10:19 pm //

Kate Beirness…ewwwwwwwwwwww! Phoney smile and mannish voice. Try again TSN…Rod Smith, the voice is an institution. Shame on you for caving to social pressure.

50. Cuthbert and Suitor are miles ahead of the rest!!

51. Adam Stocker // May 23, 2018 at 10:46 pm //

The panel has a lot of problems and Kte Beirness solves none of them. The panel’s formula is stale and boring. Outside of Stegall, the personalities are rather boring. New talking heads would benefit interest. Its time to refresh the entire presentation. The loss of Lapolice was huge and Burris doesnt replace the coach segment.

Keep Dunnigan in the booth, even if he isnt the greatest colour man you never know what he is going to say.

52. She is annoying jut like almost all of the people not already on the TSN football line up. Dunnigan, Stegall and Clime are good but most of TSN sucks

53. BC Bomber // May 23, 2018 at 11:08 pm //

Chill out, folks! She’s only scheduled for Thursday broadcasts. Thursday Night football ends in August. Total of 11 games. If she bombs, adios. If she pulls it off, we may have a permanent upgrade in the future. Time will tell. Enjoy the games!!

54. Riders34 // May 24, 2018 at 12:08 am //

Well for my part OUT with Rod Smith, ROd BALck and Dwane FOrd PERIOD ,they are USELESS!! I am in for Kate as host period, and I agree Gord Miller should be the second play by play guy , he is AWESOME !! I have to admit Chis and Glen are still tops inmy books but Glen can get a bit preachey and full of himself at times. At minimal PLEASE GOD PLEASE < NO MORE ROD FREAKING BLACK EVER PERIOD < PLEAE GOD < I will even find something nice to say once a week about Red if we just can have NO MORE ROD BLACK !!!!!!!!!

55. greenenvy? // May 24, 2018 at 12:22 pm //

Going full hummingbird on us again I see.

56. Bob Chown // May 24, 2018 at 1:20 pm //

How come their is no play by play anymore! Cuthbert is just another color man with Suitor. You never know where the ball is on the field. Drives me frickin crazy!!!!

57. Howard Wulkan // May 24, 2018 at 2:46 pm //

I wish TSN would figure out the real problem with Thursday broadcasts: young people don’t want to watch football on Thursdays. This demographic already sets aside plenty of time on the weekends to watch football, and so they spend weekday nights doing other things: studying (if in school), yard/housework, family time, or hanging out with non-football friends. These younger fans are fine with spending two or maybe three days watching ball, but there’s a limit. Stop playing/airing games on Thursdays, and move them to the weekends.

That being said, I like Kate, and adding a D-minded person to the panel is a good idea. But it’s not going to change the fact that Thursday night football just isn’t going to interest most young people.

58. Women in sports like in some other careers get judged wrongly by fans who somehow think how can a woman know a sport they haven’t played. Yet these same fans themselves – for the most part – have never played a down of football and it doesn’t stop them from posting their views or calling into sports shows.

I have a lot of time for the women on TSN as they come across as knowledgeable, professional and passionate about the sports they cover – no different than their male counterparts.

Quite frankly, one of the things that has hurt some CFL gates is the quality of the TSN broadcasts from the panels to the play by play and colour commentators. The TSN crews have a major advantage over their NFL counterparts in that they know and interact with the players, coaches, management and fans given the size of the CFL and the number of teams.

This shows up in the comments that fans watching at home get versus when you go to the games and hear none of this but you’re getting the atmosphere.

On Chris Shultz – I have wondered over and over what’s happened to him. I don’t buy that TSN is dumping the guy but I do wonder if there are other health issues of sorts that have led to him being less high profile these days?

The panels are all good in my view. More knowledgeable about actual situations than in the NFL as they know these players and coaches personally. The NFL isn’t the same. It’s a all high level story lines and messaging as the panels aren’t in the same contact with players etc.

59. I’m cutting the cable soon so I guess it doesn’t matter who joins Thursday Night football, all my CFL watching will be online video highlights. Ernie Afaganis could come out of retirement at age 85 for all I care!

60. Please TSN. Get Mark Lee involved as a broadcaster.
    Mark was great as the head CBC guy, and is not doing anything except part time work for Sportsnet.

61. When the hell are they going to get rid of Rod “Mr.Ruin A Great Football Game” Black? Enough of him faking his way through a game!

• Flanker41 // May 28, 2018 at 4:17 pm //

They keep him around [Bell- CTV] because he’s an ‘all-rounder’ and he gets assigned to the CFL broadcasts to suck up much of his salary. He does specials, Olympics, Skating, I assume some curling [I don’t watch]. agreed he’s a waste of skin as a football announcer and many times I’ve yelled at the screen. His pauses [dead air in the biz], are so long you could drive a TV mobile truck through them. “Rob, say the next word NOW!’

• jgjagcat // May 29, 2018 at 8:11 am //

100% agree. Why will TSN/CTV not listen? Usually watch his games with the sound off!

62. SaskTim // May 28, 2018 at 3:38 pm //

“faking his way through a game”, couldn’t agree more with you.

63. Paul Smith // May 29, 2018 at 12:19 pm //

Flat out replace that journeyman Jock Climie with Davis Sanchez.

Climie’s CFL pedigree is nowhere near any of the others on the panel.

• Flanker41 // May 29, 2018 at 1:53 pm //

I don’t know what Sanchez did as a DB, and for how long, in the CFL. I do remember Climie as a quality receiver for many years. Climie is possibly the most intelligent person operating as a football analyst in this country. Whether you like his views or not, to compare his ability to convey ideas in a succinct fashion with that of Sanchez’ says more about your ability to understand or appreciate communication. But I did like ‘pedigree’!

• BC Bomber // May 29, 2018 at 2:27 pm //

Sanchez had a long career, but I have to agree with you, Flanker. Climie is intelligent, articulate, and provides calm, reasoned views and insight.